Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
King Laskdjf
Okay, so we just did Dead Air speedrun on Expert.

Time was 1h 3m at the stats screen, but of course that includes failed runs so the time was probably between 20 and 30 minutes. I'll start capturing the .dems and I SHOULD have it on YT in a day or two.
twitch.tv/fiveleafclover
Quote from adzicents:
EDIT3: This update is fucking retarded.
They've fixed ALL the crescendo exploits.
Every. Single. One.

that's Valve for you lol

they're slow but usually thorough... to the point of extreme annoyance

oh, and would a 360 version run be a separate category? I've got 3 guys + me who would be able to do one (although lag will be an issue since I'm in Australia and my 3 friends are in the States).

>.>
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Adzicents, in regards to your 2nd edit: the changes for the Special Infected apply to Versus only. Campaign/Single Player is unaffected.
Edit history:
adzicents: 2009-01-15 11:36:33 pm
King Laskdjf
Well, I finished timing the Dead Air run and it's about 15m 47s.
We didn't expect to be that fast Tongue
We've also done Death Toll and are planning to finish the other 2 Campaigns.

EDIT: We finished Blood Harvest and just spend 2 hours trying to do the 2nd Chapter of No Mercy :/
Jack of all Trades
n/m
Jack of all Trades
Not only am I dumb I double posted. Epic fail.
fuck you i wont do what you tell me
Quote from adzicents:
Yeah, we figured all that out in our testing last night. I read through the thread and went "Oh, I guess we found everything on our own". Heh.

EDIT: They fixed the mini-gun exploit.
EDIT2: What the fuck. This update is filled with bullshit.

"Survivors cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging"
"Reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks"
and finally
"Fixed several map exploits"
I don't know what this constitutes yet though.

Every. Single. One.

I'm sure there are backups of the original maps somewhere on the internet.  I'm sure of this, as there are already versus DA and DT maps (i've played them, and they're fun :P)
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from Lazylen:
Quote from adzicents:
Yeah, we figured all that out in our testing last night. I read through the thread and went "Oh, I guess we found everything on our own". Heh.

"Survivors cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging"
and finally

Every. Single. One.

I'm sure there are backups of the original maps somewhere on the internet.  I'm sure of this, as there are already versus DA and DT maps (i've played them, and they're fun :P)

There is the original out-of-the-box version of the game available on the internet, but I obviously cannot describe how to obtain it, because of legality. So, it is possible to do a run of the original version if you want to be able to use the glitches.
Quote from DemonStrate:
Quote from Lazylen:
Quote from adzicents:

and finally

Every. Single. One.

There is the original out-of-the-box version of the game available on the internet, but I obviously cannot describe how to obtain it, because of legality. So, it is possible to do a run of the original version if you want to be able to use the glitches.

Nope, I believe SDA rules require that only the most up-to-date version be run.
From the FAQ:

"If a game has been patched and there are multiple versions, it is recommended to use whichever version makes for the fastest run."
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from TheVoid:
From the FAQ:

"If a game has been patched and there are multiple versions, it is recommended to use whichever version makes for the fastest run."

You're not given that choice with games on Steam.
Left 4 Dead can be played without Steam installed. Smiley
twitch.tv/fiveleafclover
I believe this is (or will be) a co-op run which a) requires connection to Steam and therefore b) requires the latest patch.

Doing some runs on the 360 solo, getting ~20 mins per campaign including a good 3-4 mins of bot fail each level. 23 mins on Dead Air with some of the worst Witch positions possible (had to cr0wn about 4), 2 tanks per level after level 1 and the AI ignoring a tank that happened to be smashing me into a wall. >.>

So even solo, 15 mins should be possible for each campaign (on Easy that is).
Quote from Quanta:
Quote from TheVoid:
From the FAQ:

correct.  however, if we use the old maps, then it is likely that the old glitches will still work.  The Minigun one likely will not, but I think that when they edited the door, they will have done it using the map, not using the game physics.

Also, an xbawks fresh out-of-the-box game 4-player splitscreen coop will always be the original content.
Quote from Qgstkpnjtp:
I believe this is (or will be) a co-op run which a) requires connection to Steam and therefore b) requires the latest patch

False. You can play it over a LAN or Hamachi without the use of steam using direct connecting. Smiley
They didn't fix the rock in Death Toll also I did a speedrun on NM the other day got 21 minutes exactly this was without the rooftop jump and we had some problem with a tank of the subway but other than that we did good =P
Quote from Quanta:
Quote from TheVoid:
From the FAQ:

That OoB SS run of Portal was done on an older version as well, because I think someone mentioned that on Steam they "fixed" Portal so you can't move any longer when being OoB. You can usually get Steam games with offline cracks on some illegal filesharing websites.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from djcj:
Quote from Quanta:
Quote from TheVoid:
From the FAQ:

That OoB SS run of Portal was done on an older version as well, because I think someone mentioned that on Steam they "fixed" Portal so you can't move any longer when being OoB. You can usually get Steam games with offline cracks on some illegal filesharing websites.

I see. That's kind of lame, actually. I've always thought that one of the goals of speed runs was to suggest that, no matter how the developers try to fix things, players will discover new ways to break their games. The Metroid Prime games are probably the best example; they fixed a lot of things between the NA and EU/Player's Choice releases, and people were still able to break the game.

You could argue that the same philosophy applies here, except that you're not actually breaking anything; you're taking what was already broken and using that, rather than breaking the fixed product.
Quote from Quanta:
Quote from djcj:
Quote from Quanta:
Quote from TheVoid:
From the FAQ:

I see. That's kind of lame, actually. I've always thought that one of the goals of speed runs was to suggest that, no matter how the developers try to fix things, players will discover new ways to break their games. The Metroid Prime games are probably the best example; they fixed a lot of things between the NA and EU/Player's Choice releases, and people were still able to break the game.

You could argue that the same philosophy applies here, except that you're not actually breaking anything; you're taking what was already broken and using that, rather than breaking the fixed product.

actually, the PC version is barred from speedruns, simply because it's so heavily changed that it would be worthless to run.

but yeah, i guess so.  however, it's for the sake of greater speed.  They chose to remove these things, but left in the infinite melee.  what does that tell you?
King Laskdjf
Okay, we finally finished No Mercy. I'm preparing to FINALLY upload the Dead Air speedrun tomorrow after MANY editing problems and within 2 weeks all 4 should be uploaded in various places Smiley
King Laskdjf
Here we go. Quality is HORRIBLE to be honest. Watch in HQ, it helps a little

Part 1:
Part 2:
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from Lazylen:
actually, the PC version is barred from speedruns, simply because it's so heavily changed that it would be worthless to run.

but yeah, i guess so.  however, it's for the sake of greater speed.  They chose to remove these things, but left in the infinite melee.  what does that tell you?

How'd you arrive at that conclusion? I don't remember seeing that discussion in the thread.

They fixed infinite melee in today's patch, so that tells me that they missed it the first time. Wink
Quote from Quanta:
Quote from Lazylen:

How'd you arrive at that conclusion? I don't remember seeing that discussion in the thread.

They fixed infinite melee in today's patch, so that tells me that they missed it the first time. Wink

the player's choice version has always been banned from speedruns since it was discovered how much better NTSC and PAL were.  also, it would create a whole new bunch of categories, and it's not like it's hard to get your hands on a NTSC version of prime.

if PC were to be allowed, we would have to include the "weird Korean version", along with the "wtf Kmart version".
King Laskdjf
What the hell are you talking about? I was talking to mikwuyma today about submitting these 4p Expert runs and he had no problem with it.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from adzicents:
What the hell are you talking about? I was talking to mikwuyma today about submitting these 4p Expert runs and he had no problem with it.

He's talking about the "Player's Choice" version of Metroid Prime. Yeah, it confused me too, because I thought he was talking about the Personal Computer version of Left 4 Dead. Wink