page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
fuck you i wont do what you tell me
Quote from Nihilus:
on top of which truck? i just hit it from behind so it shoots you straight forward, hardly up at all, and jump onto the wall of junk. It's plenty quick with 1 person.

the truck in the distance.

You know, after the pile of junk, there's a truck in the distance that you have to pass by walking around on the right.  you then head left to get to the safe house.
marshmallow,

Nice vids man. Just to show that your 'concept' speedruns do in fact work, I already have my own runs recorded for some of the ones you did:

Blood Harvest 2, using the same strategy of running straight out the firedoor (solo expert, melee only, no kills run):

Dead Air 4, I messed up with the van pushing me through the gate but as soon as I can pass it's the same run:

No Mercy 3, I do the same thing you do; using the lift rather than breaking down the door:

And BTW...you beat all my run times  Wink
Edit history:
marshmallow: 2008-12-25 04:34:26 am
Jack of all Trades
Awww, boo! I thought I was being original.  Grin  I guess I can hang my hat on Dead Air 3.

Does running backwards affect your max speed at all?
No, running backwards is the same speed as running forward. But ya, GJ on DA3, I had problems with that one because the director kept spawning tanks in my face or down unavoidable alleys.
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from marshmallow:
Click here for more videos.

There's a new one for Blood Harvest 2. Another panic event skip the rest of the level thing. It's pretty basic, really, I'm sure any speedrun would've found it since there's no particular reason to wait. But it's another demonstration of the trick.

The other videos are: No Mercy 3 (better sewer route plus I just wanted to make an MP4 of it instead of a terrible .wmv) and the demos of Dead Air 3 and 4 I posted earlier except for the non-lazy now.

For those posting about melee smashing the metal door in No Mercy 3, watch that vid and tell me which one is faster. Even if breaking the wall is faster it may be better to activate the lift because you'd still have to (presumably, could be wrong) fight your way through the rest of the level otherwise. Then again, 4 competent people could probably blaze through it without stopping, so maybe not.

DemonStrate: Your little video collection is a good resource. However, what you did to make L4D that ugly is surely a crime of some sort...

On BH2, you don't need to climb the ladder at the end. You can just jump up the stuff on the right side.
Quote from DemonStrate:
Quote from marshmallow:
Click here for more videos.

There's a new one for Blood Harvest 2. Another panic event skip the rest of the level thing. It's pretty basic, really, I'm sure any speedrun would've found it since there's no particular reason to wait. But it's another demonstration of the trick.

The other videos are: No Mercy 3 (better sewer route plus I just wanted to make an MP4 of it instead of a terrible .wmv) and the demos of Dead Air 3 and 4 I posted earlier except for the non-lazy now.

For those posting about melee smashing the metal door in No Mercy 3, watch that vid and tell me which one is faster. Even if breaking the wall is faster it may be better to activate the lift because you'd still have to (presumably, could be wrong) fight your way through the rest of the level otherwise. Then again, 4 competent people could probably blaze through it without stopping, so maybe not.

DemonStrate: Your little video collection is a good resource. However, what you did to make L4D that ugly is surely a crime of some sort...

On BH2, you don't need to climb the ladder at the end. You can just jump up the stuff on the right side.

an even faster way is to walk on the left side on the piping, then jump from there to the top of the oil tank car thing.

i think backwalking is slightly slower than walking forward.  A tank can't catch up to you on normal if you're running forward, but if you're running backward and shooting at it, it often can.
^does not care for console's
If you type in cl_showpos 1 then you can see the velocity you move at. Anyway you move at 220 in all directions. The reason a tank may catch up to you while you're turning and shooting is because its very hard to maintain 220 when you're spinning around.
Jack of all Trades
If you want to be humbled, try completing a campaign on expert with this:

sv_cheats 1
force_panic_event (press enter)
director_panic_forever 1 (press enter)

Good luck. Smiley
I made rough drafts for the No Mercy and Death Toll campaigns. There aren't any new ground-breaking tricks (except maybe the panic event skip in death toll's second level), this is simply a compilation of already posted speed tricks and obvious strategies and routes. These drafts show the routes the key-player of the team should take. The key-player being the only player who will complete the level while the three others' only purpose is to keep the infected from slowing him down

No Mercy
Death Toll
Death Toll 2

Notes :

No Mercy 1 :
The route outside the building is slightly faster

No Mercy 2 :
I'm sure there is a faster way to do the machine gun glitch, this one takes 47-48 hits to work. I removed the common zombies since there were always dozens of them in the turbine room, but they shouldn't be a problem with 4 human players

No Mercy 3 : This one will be really difficult. To get an optimal run, one player would have to lure a tank into bashing down the breakable door (only takes 1 hit). Also, sometimes the sewer cover is already removed when you get into the room over the sewer, I don't know if there's a way to manipulate that

No Mercy 4 : I guess the best strategy for the panic event is to get a boomer to puke over one player. That way the other players can enter the elevator as soon as it arrives without having to worry about the common infected. Or one player could just find a pipe bomb somewhere while the others are calling the elevator

Death Toll 3 : It's probably faster to get around the sand bags at the end instead of jumping over them. The panic event isn't on a timer, so it might be faster to get all players to cover 1-2 spawn points each and shoot the zombies when they're in reach instead of camping the house

The routes are certainly not perfect, so don't hesitate to search for new tricks and route tweaks
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from Normand Nubcake:
I made rough drafts for the No Mercy and Death Toll campaigns. There aren't any new ground-breaking tricks (except maybe the panic event skip in death toll's second level), this is simply a compilation of already posted speed tricks and obvious strategies and routes. These drafts show the routes the key-player of the team should take. The key-player being the only player who will complete the level while the three others' only purpose is to keep the infected from slowing him down

No Mercy
Death Toll
Death Toll 2

Notes :

No Mercy 1 :
The route outside the building is slightly faster

No Mercy 2 :
I'm sure there is a faster way to do the machine gun glitch, this one takes 47-48 hits to work. I removed the common zombies since there were always dozens of them in the turbine room, but they shouldn't be a problem with 4 human players

No Mercy 3 : This one will be really difficult. To get an optimal run, one player would have to lure a tank into bashing down the breakable door (only takes 1 hit). Also, sometimes the sewer cover is already removed when you get into the room over the sewer, I don't know if there's a way to manipulate that

No Mercy 4 : I guess the best strategy for the panic event is to get a boomer to puke over one player. That way the other players can enter the elevator as soon as it arrives without having to worry about the common infected. Or one player could just find a pipe bomb somewhere while the others are calling the elevator

Death Toll 3 : It's probably faster to get around the sand bags at the end instead of jumping over them. The panic event isn't on a timer, so it might be faster to get all players to cover 1-2 spawn points each and shoot the zombies when they're in reach instead of camping the house

The routes are certainly not perfect, so don't hesitate to search for new tricks and route tweaks

Nice job! Its good to see some routes being formulated. I just wanted to announce that I have found finale-despawns on all 4 maps! 2 of them involve turret jumps, while the other 2 are very simple. Smiley We can finally do all the finales on expert single player now.
So, anyone interested in participating in a 4-player PC run? Even if you don't have time for speedrunning now, it would be great to know how many players we could potentially get
i definitely would, but school has just started up again :\
I r run gudder!
I would be up for a 4player run. Let me know if you want me.
Hmmm... I'm interested. I'll register with this forum and keep following this topic.

I expect all sorts of possibilities with a 4-man run. Perhaps splitting up into groups of two and making the director our bizitch??

I made a Steam Group to help organize a 4p run: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D4PSR
I'd give it a shot, yeah
King Laskdjf
I would, but other side of the world = lag.
If you would like to have a german in your team, I would like to join!!!

Also, I like man-schnitzel!
I wouldn't mind doing it either i have been playing this a lot lately also i have been formulating routes but there not done yet so i will keep them secret 8)
I'm probably not a good candidate, as I live in Winnipeg, fairly distant from where you guys probably live (either east or west coast, a possibility of Illinois).
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Or Europe.

I'm interested in joining a 4player run, but my load times are beyond horrible (yes, BEYOND horrible) and I haven't played the game too much.
Quote from Lazylen:
i definitely would, but school has just started up again :\

Same with me.

I've never done an actual speedrun before, but I think a L4D run would be fun. It's just a shame I won't have much time to do it now. :/
Edit history:
adzicents: 2009-01-14 04:42:22 pm
King Laskdjf
Okay, me and 3 friends are planned to do a speedrun of Dead Air on Expert tomorrow. We're all recoring .dem files and I'll be exporting them to YT in 4 screen split-screen.

We're planning to pretty much just run through as best as we can and we have a strategy for the finale.

If you guys have any tips, let me know ASAP. I'm going to quickly read through the thread now to see if there's anything we've missed.
dead air?

for the finale, if you want to play it safe, use the minigun glitch and get on top of the plane.  You can run straight through DA4, DA2 has two really easy skips, DA3 has a few easy skips in this thread too.

heal when you close the saferoom door so you're ready to go for the next level.
Edit history:
adzicents: 2009-01-14 08:29:08 pm
King Laskdjf
Yeah, we figured all that out in our testing last night. I read through the thread and went "Oh, I guess we found everything on our own". Heh.

EDIT: They fixed the mini-gun exploit.
EDIT2: What the fuck. This update is filled with bullshit.

"Survivors cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging"
"Reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks"
and finally
"Fixed several map exploits"
I don't know what this constitutes yet though.

EDIT3: This update is fucking retarded.
They've fixed ALL the crescendo exploits.
Every. Single. One.
well damnit, theres a few I didnt think anyone knew about except through this forum, never saw anyone use them online before. But yeah, saw the turret exploit fix coming a mile away.