Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yep, on top of the plane works, tested it out several times. The tank can still throw rocks up there depending on where it's coming from, and you can sometimes get smoker'd off too. As long as you(everyone) are(is) paying attention it isn't a problem since there is plenty of room to run around on top of the plane.
Quote from Lazylen:
wow, gfaqs is actually adept at finding stuff.

No Mercy: Level 3:

You know that door that you can open from the other side by pressing the button?

Well, apparently (I haven't tested this), if 4 people melee it for long enough (he said around 20 seconds), it breaks.  Safer than the lift, possibly slower, depending on the runner.

I just tested that out, it does work. One person meleeing the door takes about ~65-70 swings, comes out to about 45seconds.
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from ivilkee:
Yep, on top of the plane works, tested it out several times. The tank can still throw rocks up there depending on where it's coming from, and you can sometimes get smoker'd off too. As long as you(everyone) are(is) paying attention it isn't a problem since there is plenty of room to run around on top of the plane.

That is where I originally went, but the place I go now, stuff despawns almost right away, and there are NO SPECIALS, like smokers, hunters, etc. that could pull you down.
3/4 finales soloable:

Dead Air (turret glitch to top of plane)

Death Toll (rock by docks)

That just leaves Blood Harvest...
Quote from ivilkee:
Quote from Lazylen:

You know that door that you can open from the other side by pressing the button?

Well, apparently (I haven't tested this), if 4 people melee it for long enough (he said around 20 seconds), it breaks.  Safer than the lift, possibly slower, depending on the runner.

I just tested that out, it does work. One person meleeing the door takes about ~65-70 swings, comes out to about 45seconds.

It takes 10 propane tanks exactly to break the door down. The door only seems to take force damage, and pipebombs are also able to take the door down.
fuck you i wont do what you tell me
Quote from DemonStrate:
Quote from ivilkee:
Quote from Lazylen:

It takes 10 propane tanks exactly to break the door down. The door only seems to take force damage, and pipebombs are also able to take the door down.

that's incorrect.

I managed to melee the door down with a bunch of pubbers twice the other day.  It doesn't sound like it's taking damage, and it might not be taking damage, but after enough hits, it does disappear and let you through.

From what I've heard, there are more doors like this that you can melee down.  However, I don't know of any of them.

Also, seeing how Valve loves to patch their games (though they always take forever lolol), the fact that the level skips are becoming increasingly public means that we have to pull off a run quickly.
Now it's Sui^^
Quote from Lazylen:
Also, seeing how Valve loves to patch their games (though they always take forever lolol), the fact that the level skips are becoming increasingly public means that we have to pull off a run quickly.

I had an idea, to make a copy of file levels so when a patch will come out, someone can build "something" like mod with previous versions of levels. But I'm almost sure, that it won't get SDA verification Undecided
Quote from Lazylen:

Is there a way to play the un-patched version?

And for those who don't know, what's the turret glitch?
The turret glitch is weird as all hell. By melee attacking a turret, you jump higher off of it. The more you melee, the higher you jump, and you CAN launch yourself to oblivion doing this. It also doesn't make a melee hit noise all the time, like that door.
Here's a new shortcut for ya: No Mercy Subways Event (using turret glitch). Although to be honest, this event is so easy even on expert, and it takes quite a few hits to do it.

It took me a few tries to figure out the best way to get up there, then during one of my attempts I randomly bounced off the generator so I kept messing with that.

train kept rollin
I know the Crane skip was already known but what about the skip after it. Saves alot of time

Does anyone know if it charges up for just one person, or can multiple people use it after it has been charged up? Oh yea, and if multiple people melee charges it up faster...?
The 'charges' last until the map restarts (ie all survivors die/incap) and yes, they are good for everyone and can be charged up faster with more people hitting it. However, I find that the angle that the turret is hit at makes a difference as to where it sends you flying.
Quote from Pootrain:
I know the Crane skip was already known but what about the skip after it. Saves alot of time

That was in my RAR of videos like a page or 2 ago.
Quote from ivilkee:
The 'charges' last until the map restarts (ie all survivors die/incap) and yes, they are good for everyone and can be charged up faster with more people hitting it. However, I find that the angle that the turret is hit at makes a difference as to where it sends you flying.

The direction it is hit makes a huge difference in how it launches you. I don't know how it works exactly. It doesn't exactly make sense.
Quote from DemonStrate:
The direction it is hit makes a huge difference in how it launches you. I don't know how it works exactly. It doesn't exactly make sense.

My interpretation of it is that the turret is a physical object that has been embedded in the scenery (think of say... a car if half of it were stuck inside the ground/a building/whatever).  A quirk in the physics engine allows your melee to impart a force onto the turret that causes it to vibrate in the direction you have "pushed" it.  The more you melee it the more it vibrates, the more it vibrates the more force it can return to the player later.

You get odd results if you melee the turret from different directions as the "vibrations" interfere with each other insomuch as it generalizes the direction you are launched as you will always get the same result.  That said, you can get different results from the same turret by varying your own interaction with it.  Walking off of the back gives a different result from jumping off of it or jumping onto it (and there are also "zones" on the turret that can give a different result (e.g. while standing on it, jumping from the front right will give a different result from the center).  Sometimes the differences aren't terribly dramatic... and sometimes they are.

Personally I would like to see someone nail the melee direction needed to launch a survivor to (or into!) the helicopter at the end of No Mercy.  Completely unnecessary but it would also be quite impressive to include in a segmented speedrun.

As seen the turret glitch can be used to skip the No Mercy gate crescendo (and I'm sure I'm not the only one to skip the [Dead Air?] Forklift crescendo) but I guess it still remains to be seen if anyone can time these skips to see if they can be performed faster than initiating the horde.
the no mercy gate takes forever to open, and with 4 people meleeing it, it should be jumpable pretty fast.

the Death Toll forklift (there's no forklift in dead air) is already skipped using a faster method.  However, if someone found the proper angle at which to launch yourself and land on the truck at the end of the street, it would be faster, and you wouldnt take too much damage. Tongue
Quote from Lazylen:
the no mercy gate takes forever to open, and with 4 people meleeing it, it should be jumpable pretty fast.

the Death Toll forklift (there's no forklift in dead air) is already skipped using a faster method.  However, if someone found the proper angle at which to launch yourself and land on the truck at the end of the street, it would be faster, and you wouldnt take too much damage. Tongue

If that is the forklift on the street with the wall of junk in the way, you can just jump over it without using the turret glitch. It was in my videos that I rar'ed a couple of pages ago.
Quote from DemonStrate:
Quote from Lazylen:

If that is the forklift on the street with the wall of junk in the way, you can just jump over it without using the turret glitch. It was in my videos that I rar'ed a couple of pages ago.

i know.  that's the "faster method" that im talking about.  unless the turret glitch can be done fast enough and with the right precision to land you on top of the truck, the jump is faster.;
on top of which truck? i just hit it from behind so it shoots you straight forward, hardly up at all, and jump onto the wall of junk. It's plenty quick with 1 person.
Death Toll, that's the one (Death Toll, Dead Air... I always end up forgetting one of them)

Quote from DemonStrate:

That link no longer works but I thought I remembered reading you could bypass it already which is why I never mentioned it (plus, with so few turrets in the game it's a good bet plenty of people have played around with it on all of them).

As for jumping to the "truck" (Bus?) it's certainly possible but I imagine it would be loads quicker to just melee it enough to get you over the lip and run instead of hitting the turret enough to get that kind of distance.  At that point I can only assume you're better off doing the normal skip?  I haven't seen it but I can't imagine it takes very long if you don't have to dick around punching a turret.  Although I have managed to put my corpse on top of one of the buildings... perhaps if one found the correct "charge" and direction to melee from it could be quicker to do that?
Jack of all Trades
Click here for more videos.

There's a new one for Blood Harvest 2. Another panic event skip the rest of the level thing. It's pretty basic, really, I'm sure any speedrun would've found it since there's no particular reason to wait. But it's another demonstration of the trick.

The other videos are: No Mercy 3 (better sewer route plus I just wanted to make an MP4 of it instead of a terrible .wmv) and the demos of Dead Air 3 and 4 I posted earlier except for the non-lazy now.

For those posting about melee smashing the metal door in No Mercy 3, watch that vid and tell me which one is faster. Even if breaking the wall is faster it may be better to activate the lift because you'd still have to (presumably, could be wrong) fight your way through the rest of the level otherwise. Then again, 4 competent people could probably blaze through it without stopping, so maybe not.

DemonStrate: Your little video collection is a good resource. However, what you did to make L4D that ugly is surely a crime of some sort...
Quote from marshmallow:
Click here for more videos.

There's a new one for Blood Harvest 2. Another panic event skip the rest of the level thing. It's pretty basic, really, I'm sure any speedrun would've found it since there's no particular reason to wait. But it's another demonstration of the trick.

The other videos are: No Mercy 3 (better sewer route plus I just wanted to make an MP4 of it instead of a terrible .wmv) and the demos of Dead Air 3 and 4 I posted earlier except for the non-lazy now.

For those posting about melee smashing the metal door in No Mercy 3, watch that vid and tell me which one is faster. Even if breaking the wall is faster it may be better to activate the lift because you'd still have to (presumably, could be wrong) fight your way through the rest of the level otherwise. Then again, 4 competent people could probably blaze through it without stopping, so maybe not.

DemonStrate: Your little video collection is a good resource. However, what you did to make L4D that ugly is surely a crime of some sort...

mat_fullbright 1
It makes it so I can see everything. Thats all you have to do. It's really useful for finding shortcuts and routes.
Quote from jp:
Death Toll, that's the one (Death Toll, Dead Air... I always end up forgetting one of them)

Quote from DemonStrate:

That link no longer works but I thought I remembered reading you could bypass it already which is why I never mentioned it (plus, with so few turrets in the game it's a good bet plenty of people have played around with it on all of them).

As for jumping to the "truck" (Bus?) it's certainly possible but I imagine it would be loads quicker to just melee it enough to get you over the lip and run instead of hitting the turret enough to get that kind of distance.  At that point I can only assume you're better off doing the normal skip?  I haven't seen it but I can't imagine it takes very long if you don't have to dick around punching a turret.  Although I have managed to put my corpse on top of one of the buildings... perhaps if one found the correct "charge" and direction to melee from it could be quicker to do that?

My link still works: http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,9168.msg258008.html#msg258008
In that post, its a link to filefront, and it works as far as I can tell.
Seems to be a victim of a DNS issue on my end.  I'll check it out once I get everything sorted.