Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112131415 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 15 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I'll definitely have to test that. It really depends on the situation, I guess. If you have a small amount of money then you can just warp out, but if you have a lot, use the powder. Parn is also good in that regard. He let's you flee the dungeon for free, but I don't know how much SP that takes. And really, it would only be useful later on, but by that point you have Pau, so yeah. I'll have to reply in a little. Gotta take off at the moment.
It would only really be a factor after you get Pau, unless you find the map like 10 sec into the floor.

Did some runs today.. I was really picky, so none of them got out of Chapter 2. I actually ran out of money at Jurak and ragequit on the last one.

I wont accept any time higher than 25:00 at the Chapter 2 screen, and it looks like a good time for Chapter 2 will be ~1:15. I started the last floor of chapter 2 at the one hour mark and that was after making a pretty serious mistake. I was 4 exp short of the barrel cannon, so I had to buy it after 2-4, which meant I had to do the Sindain cleanup early. Also, the clowns are bullshit. I swear a year ago I could hit them all with a charge attack at the beginning 100% of the time and now I can't do it at all. Maybe that was on the Jap version? I'll have to check that.

At some point I'm going to get a dazzle to stream, so we can race. The big problem is my computer is pretty junky. I want to get a new one, but... yeah.
I understand. I got this new laptop specifically for recording and streaming. I haven't done either yet, but it's a work in progress.

I'll accept a 31 or less on Ch.1. I haven't gotten any better at that, so I still need to practice. I also believe luck might balance out in Ch.2, so I think I'll wait and see what Ch.2 ends with. If it's any higher than 1:30 then I absolutely won't continue. I'm not as picky as I should be, but right now I'm more practicing to memorize and execute than I am for speed. But every test I do has a significant decrease in time, so that's a start at least. I've not done better than a 1:35 finishing Ch.2, but I'm practiced enough now to where I should be getting a consistent 1:30.

Clowns are bullshit. That's definitely an idea though. The AI might be slightly different between the two versions. Might be worth looking into. Perhaps the clowns in the English version start slightly farther away than the Japanese, which makes it impossible to hit them all at once or something. I'm not quite sure, since I never played the Japanese version. In any case, that sounds like a good test.

I also realized today that I suck at video editing, so I'll have to work on that. For now, I can at least post the time differences and such. I'll eventually make a whole bunch of videos for newbie runners wanting to get into this game. I'll have to get back to everyone on that though.

I'll do a run on Friday or Saturday, hopefully I can figure out how to set up a stream. Never done it before. Well, best of luck to everyone, and I hope we can make this a regular thing soon!
I can help you set it up. I steam OoT currently when I have time, but I've wanted to run this game for years.
Well, my friend, it seems the time for Dark Cloud 2 is upon us. Havok and I have come a very long way in just a couple weeks, and with a third person in the mix, the original goal this thread started with will be decimated. 6:38? HA! I laugh at that nonsense. But yeah. I'm right there with you. I wanted to run this game as soon as I found out about AGDQ last year, but I had no idea a SS New Game was even possible. Until I found this thread that is. Now I'm laughing at myself for ever thinking this game couldn't be done in less than 12 hours. But the naivety I once had has disappeared. And I have now learned that almost any game can be done. Anyway... My goal is AGDQ or bust! Welcome, couch crew! We're going all the way!
Edit history:
rainbzer: 2014-08-18 12:12:02 am
Yea... i think we all have memories of like... 65 hour save files in this game. I'm kind of waiting to see what your guys runs look like as i haven't played this in a year or so and i don't want to just blindly go at it. I think if i can see the route or watch for a bit and get the gist that would be all i need to get started.
It really isn't too hard once you get going. I had no idea what I was doing either about two weeks ago, but it's not that bad. There aren't any glitches, so it's just straight execution of the game. All you really need to do is a few practices and you should get the hang of it pretty easily. Just play through the first couple chapters as quickly as possible and you'll see certain things that you know you can save time on, and just remember it for your next practice, and then you just get quicker and quicker, until it starts coming down to luck. I do understand where you're coming from though. I learn better by seeing something first and then doing it. But hey, you'll get some vids soon enough. I also need to dig out my headset to start talking and crap. However, I need to practice Ch.5-7. I frankly have very little idea of what I'm doing from that point on.
Yep, looks like they are closer in JP. They also jump back twice right away on NTSC. Monica has a different sword in the intro too, seems to swing a bit faster.
Edit history:
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:35:42 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:35:29 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:35:19 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:35:07 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:35:06 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:34:47 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:32:58 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:32:44 am
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 12:29:14 am
Im going to playthrough chapter 1 tonight and see what kind of time i can pull just from nothing.

** Update **
Wow it's been a while since i've played this. It took me 55 minutes (I didn't remember anything really, Took me forever to even get the kid because i forgot you have to talk to people) to beat 1-4 and then i stopped because I need to go to sleep. I'm going to continue this tomorrow and finish chapter 1, and run through chapter 2 as well according to your route. Do you want all of the XP to go to the ridepod? or what exactly is the strategy here for dungeon completion.

My other question is what are we supposed to be doing synth wise? What do i want to be putting into wrench etc?

Thanks for the help!
As soon as you get Steve, use him to kill everything. ABS collection, which is entirely up to you (as long as you already acquired 400 for the Barrel Cannon by 2-5) should always go to Steve until Ch.7. Main strategy here is to run around (diagonal run) as Max, until you find the an enemy that might be holding the gate key, switch to Steve, then kill.
As for Synth allocation, there won't be any until Ch.7, unless you can figure a different strategy out that can be faster than what we have so far. Right now, we have it set to invent the Steal Gun right before Ch.6, and Ch.7 is where we get ABS for a Heavy Hammer and two Soul Breakers, which we then add some georama items to and synth to the Steal Gun to build up to the Supernova, which wrecks the last bosses. Turns a really difficult last battle into a very simple one.
Edit history:
HavokMoobii: 2014-08-19 06:45:07 pm
HavokMoobii: 2014-08-19 06:44:15 pm
HavokMoobii: 2014-08-19 06:35:04 pm
Master this

Way easier than it looks. You'll know when you have the control stick in the right position, the speed boost is very apparent.

I diagonal run through all levels up to chapter 7 with Max opening every chest I run directly in to. If I see a potential gatekeeper I will run in range, kill it with Steve, switch back and move on without waiting for drops. I collect EXP for Steve only when an upgrade is coming up or if a mob I want is in the middle of a huge group of enemies and I have to kill them all. When Geostones come into play, I make it a point to atleast step into all large rooms I pass by to expose more of the map, as the geostone with show as soon as that portion of the map is revealed. In chapter 3 I always diagonal run with the camera facing the other side. Geostones are always rendered, so you can catch it super early doing this.

Man, I wish I could post videos.

Edit: In Chapter 7, I do kinda the opposite. I run in and kill with Steve, then switch to Max and collect the drops. When you collect abs with a different character then the one that killed the enemy the game distributes it between both of that characters weapons. I am trying to level up both a hammer and two guns in that chapter, so it works out well.

I'm very proud of the Supernova strat. Being able to sneak the best weapon in the game into a speedrun is very satisfying.
Yea, I've already been doing the diagonal running as i knew about it from before.

I guess my question is how do you never run out of fuel during the first few dungeons? Just never ever take a hit while fighting or?
You can take all sorts of hits in chapter 1, and a couple in the next two chapters, but after that you get oneshot. Once you get range weapons on Steve its a lot less scary. I route in several stops to Cedric to refuel and I have him in the party for chapter 3 and 4 just in case. After that I rely on the 3-4 ridepod fuel I collect along the way for emergencies. If Moonflower Palace is played pretty decently with the basic energy pack, you should only have to refuel once.

After chapter 4 Pau is required to be in the party at all times.
Well, I'm currently just going to practice the first two chapters until I feel comfortable... Maybe get the to 1:30 and then start worrying about further than that because learning this on my own is going pretty slowly especially this first playthough so maybe by the time I get better at chapter 1-2 you guys will have more tips for how to progress faster.
Cool, if you have any more questions I'll be glad to help. I'm going to look into cheap recording options, so I can atleast post videos in my off time.
Cool, I'm going to stream the rest of my first run through chapter 1 and 2 here in a few minutes. Just finishing off eating dinner. (I always stream just in case something weird happens I want on video. (No more timer for the rest of this because I took a break and didn't feel like pausing the timer. I'm just going to feel it out and then hopefully I can remember enough to improve my second playthrough of them by quite a bit.

http://www.twitch.tv/amasawa2600
The main tip I can offer is to just practice your execution. Visit an area as few times as possible, and do absolutely everything you can when you have to leave a dungeon. For example, when you have to build the energy pack, run over to Blinkhorn first, then on your way back snap a picture of a barrel and wooden box, then glance up and get your pipe, then to the right to get your window, then run in and buy your materials with the money you can, then invent the energy pack, but don't make it, then run to Cedric and talk to him to get your money back. Then go ahead and invent it and get back to the dungeon. See what I mean? You get all of that done without having to backtrack at all, except for the run to Blinkhorn and back.

The other tip I have is memorization. Memorize as much of the game as you can. Shopping is very important, and so are pictures. You need to know exactly what you need to photograph and buy, and what you need to invent and when. Memorize every single thing you can.

I wish I could post some videos for you guys, but I can't seem to figure out the editor and I'm too tired to really mess with it right now. (New job. A lot of physical labor. Completely exhausted, actually.)
Yea, I'd also add window and wooden box to the early picture list because I got screwed and had to walk back across the drawbridge to get the window and boxes for the bell trigger and aquarium when I was alread at Gerald. So make sure you get those before going to Max's house as none of those windows worked for me.
#Casual
I would also recommend conferring with Acefrog, who has done preliminary route testing.  Here is a probably-outdated, but still useful route you might want to play around with:  http://pastebin.com/DcVenNLK .  It's from his Twitch Page, FAQ section on Dark Cloud 2 (http://www.twitch.tv/acefrog).  As far as I know, he hasn't pursued DC2 since quite a few months ago.  It might be useful to you guys as you're going through the game...
Well I already like his route because it includes the pictures you need all in one photo-op which is really nice. It also mentions the single cycle halloween fight etc. So this is definitely worth looking into thanks.
You can get a backup window at Claire's house in her room. Oh jeez. I forgot to list the milk can in my last post. What a noob I am.

Thanks, TJP! I'd like to let you know it was your last post a few months ago that sparked my interest in reviving this thread. The one saying you were still watching. Made it feel like even if I was talking to myself for a while, which I did, that someone would eventually read it. Haha.

And you guys are replying as I type, so I'm going to say woo! New route to examine!
Edit history:
rainbzer: 2014-08-19 11:50:29 pm
Yea, I Havok also added me on skype and helped me finish off chapter 2 quite a bit faster than i otherwise would have so thanks to him. Total I was probably up around 2.5 -3 hours total to get the the Chapter 3 start screen. I think next reset I will be much much much quicker. I also got no chestnut so i need to make sure to open more chests in RBW next time to get that. I guess I can also go for the backup nut if i read back i think someone mentioned a backup chestnut.

**EDIT**

Also, don't use the "Remove Useless photos" option if you are relying on Himarra for Claire. It will be considered useless and screw you over.
Found an error in his route. So far so good, until Ch.3 where he lists the wrong exit. The moon exit takes you to Spheda and the sun exit takes you to Memo Eater. I learned that the sun exit will always lead you to the end of the dungeon, where the moon will take you to a dead end.
Looks like my route with a few more Ridepod upgrades. Its probably worth it to get the urn pack so you can run around as Steve more. Once I start playing the later chapters more often, I'll try all this out.

Also Rainbzer. On the photo screen the blue arrow moves all the ideas you have on photos to the idea book at the top, then prompts you to delete the photos containing those ideas, so you shouldn't have any issues with space.
Yea, and I also know for the most part what does and doesn't work for those window pictures so I won't be accumulated 50 of those next time... haha.