Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
However this does open up another category. We now know we can realistically have an any% (with large skip glitches) and an any% (glitch-less). And hey, more categories means more speedruns, which is good right?
What a stupid thing to not use glitches?! Maybe you also don't need run at speed runs? Maybe you must only walk?! Stupidest thing I ever heard! Speed run must be as fast as posible with all possible ways, except cheating!
U mad brah? Calm down, and learn basic punctuation. You seem like an utter imbecile as it is.

I think we need a mod's input before we call duplication a Major Skip. It certainly saves time, but typically the title is paired with glitches that allow players the ability to skip sections of the game, while duplication involves no actual movement. I'm not sure if there is space for a category without duplication. I guess it depends if the logging out/in counts as segments I suppose, at which point we could have a SS and a Segmented (with duplication).

Honestly, I think that the mods will decide to merely distinguish between SS and segmented. But it is worth discussing.
Hmmm, well personally I think that you could have a SS (with glitches) if they allow RTA for this, If it is considered a segment than we could just keep it as SS and segmented
Obscure games ftw
SS with resets was already okayed for Minecraft anyway.
"I decided to restore @notch's old Golden Apple and give it an effect proper for its crafting cost" -Jeb
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/204896613557219329

Lets see what that new effect is? I hope this doesnt make getting golden apples harder (need way more gold, maybe even more rounds of duplication)

cu, CBenni
Worthless categories WR master
I hope it still appears in the stronghold...
(new acc. drMalcom)
The old golden apple is still there, CBenni, the new one requires 72 golden ingots.
As far as I can tell, the upcoming 1.30 release will be client/server based, enven in single player. Since the item drops are handled by the server, I'd guess that this could affect the duplication glitch. This is only a supposition.
Do you really need food for this run? Obviously it will be easier with it when fighting the dragon (especially in SS), but as long as you don't play on Hard you won't starve to death. If food requires extra effort to obtain it might not be worth the trouble.
Yes you do. When doing the bed explosion stuff, you cant prevent taking damage.
And fighting the blazes without getting hit once is VERY hard...
Its less about the food, but more about the health regen.

cu, CBenni
Edit history:
Igyanata: 2012-06-20 12:16:49 pm
Igyanata: 2012-06-20 12:16:43 pm
Igyanata: 2012-06-20 12:16:31 pm
Never any doubt!
Quote from CBenni:
No it isnt. You wouldnt have 64 golden apples to rely on (absolutely necessary for the final boss fight). You would need to find all of the of arrows manually. You would need to care about nighttime etc. 30 minutes? lol. I dont even think 300-600 minutes are enough. If you dont complete it within 1 minecraft day, it takes you exponentially longer to finish.

cu, CBenni

How are golden apples NEEDED at all for the Dragon fight, I have killed him using only 3 chickens to keep my health up. Even that guy didn't used more than 5 in his successful run. You also don't need so many arrows. I don't know exactly how are you fighting him, using beds but I don't think more than 128 arrows are necessary even for a normal fight with the Dragon.(I mean if you only use arrows to fight him and destroy the pillars too) I know beds can explode there I just haven't tried to fight him this way before. And arrows can be made pretty quickly manually as you can see in his run he got just enough. I usually do them all as a secondary task while I move forward to collecting the pearls.

In conclusion I think a bellow 1 hour run is doable even in a random world. You may only save about 10 mins and some effort with a good seed. I personally don't like the duplication glitch because it completely cuts out the fun of this game. The runs should be in two different categories so everyone could attempt the one he likes. Smiley
Agreed that an hour is a reasonable time for a really, really good run. Apples are very cheap and easy to get if you luck manipulate, but not required by any means. The dragon is stupidly easy, shouldn't need extra food besides what it takes to stay full of hunger.

The real problem for non-duping runs is ender eyes. Just finding that many endearment, nonetheless killing them and getting drops, is a bit of work.
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-06-20 04:00:26 pm
Why are they still talking about skipping duplication? theres no reason at all to ban a glitch just because it saves huge amounts of time... Roll Eyes

A 10 Minute run is what we want. Everything else is a challenge run and can be placed in the Casual Forums.

cu, CBenni
We require more minerals
I don't see why an additional category would be necessary it's not like it's a different % run. From the start of this thread we were discussing seed manipulation and item duplication. I tend to agree with CBenni.
I believe SDA staff would consider the dupe glitch as a major skip. This is why, according to me too, there should be categories for this game.
Never any doubt!
Quote from CBenni:
Why are they still talking about skipping duplication? theres no reason at all to ban a glitch just because it saves huge amounts of time... Roll Eyes

A 10 Minute run is what we want. Everything else is a challenge run and can be placed in the Casual Forums.

cu, CBenni

Of course you have to use the glitch for a really short record. I just meant that there are people(like me) who also want to see it done by following certain rules. Both runs will be enjoyable to watch, that is one of the amazing qualities of Minecraft - that it gives you the choice to do anything.

Anyway I don't think 10 mins are possible even with the glitch because you will need at least 1 Ender Pearl to start duplicating it. And Enderman spawn only at night, so unless you find a way to start at nighttime it is impossible. The way I see it, you need to wait at least one night and to kill at least one Enderman so 10+ mins you have to wait for that. Let's say you prepare everything in this time although with a good seed you would be done in about 5-6 mins. So you will still have enough time to go in the Nether to get one Blaze Rod. You will then be ready to go after the dragon in minimum the 12th or 13th minute and let's say you kill him for 3-4 mins. In conclusion the shortest possible run should be not less than 15-18 mins.

BTW I just saw that they added a trading system with the villagers, maybe it is possible to get a Ender Eye very early from them. That may help to skip waiting for the nighttime and theny maybe a 10 min run or less is possible. Smiley
Edit history:
Raelcun: 2012-06-21 08:09:56 pm
We require more minerals
Quote from Igyanata:
Quote from CBenni:

cu, CBenni

Of course you have to use the glitch for a really short record. I just meant that there are people(like me) who also want to see it done by following certain rules. Both runs will be enjoyable to watch, that is one of the amazing qualities of Minecraft - that it gives you the choice to do anything.

Anyway I don't think 10 mins are possible even with the glitch because you will need at least 1 Ender Pearl to start duplicating it. And Enderman spawn only at night, so unless you find a way to start at nighttime it is impossible. The way I see it, you need to wait at least one night and to kill at least one Enderman so 10+ mins you have to wait for that. Let's say you prepare everything in this time although with a good seed you would be done in about 5-6 mins. So you will still have enough time to go in the Nether to get one Blaze Rod. You will then be ready to go after the dragon in minimum the 12th or 13th minute and let's say you kill him for 3-4 mins. In conclusion the shortest possible run should be not less than 15-18 mins.

BTW I just saw that they added a trading system with the villagers, maybe it is possible to get a Ender Eye very early from them. That may help to skip waiting for the nighttime and theny maybe a 10 min run or less is possible. Smiley

The current fast time on Youtube uses a seed that allows him to dig into a stronghold where there are ender pearls in the chests. He gets two as well as tools and weapons he needs then proceeds to take the iron he dug up to make a bucket and create a nether portal to go get a blaze rod. Where he turns the pearls into eyes and starts duplicating from that. So he really doesn't have to wait for night time at all especially since there's enough lava in the end portal room to make a portal.

That would probably still be far faster than trading with villagers as trading up from base resources would probably take a while. I still don't think 10 minutes is possible but they can probably get 11 or 12 with a good run.
Hey guys, I don't know if it has already been found by I discovered this 5 minutes ago. When you have just enough space to walk (2 blocks) and you have a block under and above you, if you sprint and you press jump everytime you touch the ground while sprinting, you can sprint twice as fast.
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-07-23 02:31:37 am
CBenni: 2012-07-23 02:31:29 am
Well indeed. I have been trying to find something like that before, the mistake i did was i was playing in creative mode, thus preventing me from spamming jump Cheesy
However, idk if this helps in the run at all, bismuths runs dont ever require running through 2 block high caverns iirc...
cu, CBenni
EDIT: Find a large ice lake, build a roof 2 blocks above, go below your roof, start sprinting and spam jump. Whoever breaks the speed of light, please contact CERN Cheesy
I had a feeling that it would be found already. I was going to test what you just said as soon as my server gets up and now I'm even more excited than I was Cheesy
We require more minerals
Quote from Xevro:
Hey guys, I don't know if it has already been found by I discovered this 5 minutes ago. When you have just enough space to walk (2 blocks) and you have a block under and above you, if you sprint and you press jump everytime you touch the ground while sprinting, you can sprint twice as fast.

Which version is this? I've tried similar things in previous versions but hitting anything including the roof or a wall stopped the sprint speed.
The current official version, i was wondering that aswell. I tried stuff like that before, however i never faced that glitch.

cu, CBenni
http://www.reddit.com/r/edstonehelper/comments/p6lol/planned_for_the_next_update/
Better back up your minecraft binaries. I dont think the duplication glitch will work after this release, so Minecraft 1.2.5 will be the last version of the game you can use for any% speedrunning with major skips.

cu, CBenni
Howdy. I made a minecraft mod (not yet usable by others) that generates a bunch of worlds and looks for one that meets certain criteria. I used it to find a seed that gives me a blacksmith with 10+ obsidian right by the spawn, so I could get the best time for "enters the nether as quickly as possible". Finding this seed took my computer 4 hours of searching; it's the 3338th seed. After a little bit of practice I did the run in 24 seconds. It's easily improvable by a few seconds for someone with better movement and faster mousing than me: http://www.twitch.tv/hyphen_ated/c/1818552

This could be used to find seeds that have a stronghold right by spawn, making sure that the stronghold contains certain items in its chests, making sure there's a blacksmith nearby with certain items in his chest, etc etc. I'm pretty sure I could also have it make sure there's a nearby blaze spawner in the nether

Is anybody interested in using this? What kinds of things would it need to be able to look for to find a perfect seed? I can make it user-configurable for things like "what items do you want, and how many of them?", but for each different "kind" of feature it looks for, I'll need to write a piece of code that can check for that feature.

Duping might not even be necessary if you can just make the world generate all the items you need.
Good stuff. But can you really play with a FOV that high? I'd get a severe headache in as little as 2 minutes with that.