Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ok so I did two runs tonight. One died early in potions class and the other died because I used the wrong potion during the troll fight. The one at the troll fight was deathless but was still two minutes behind my pb which included a death before it. I really need to watch my pb and find out where I'm losing all of the time because honestly I thought I was doing well.
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do any runs of any game for a couple weeks.
I remember also having what seemed like a lot of Chicken Freezes when playing on console, but I don't know what causes it either. It might be the GB Player? I don't recall ever encountering it when playing on regular GBC.
Time is a cruel mistress. This game reminds me of Pokemon so much now.
You're right. It could be the game boy player since as far as I know no one has had it happen on emulator or an actual game boy. I know certain games have problems on GameCube. Pokemon crystal has audio issues if you have stereo sound on for example.
I broke the game again. This time I softlocked on the lake. The interesting thing is that it changed my magic power to 65466 so if we can find a way to do this and not softlock the game then we can skip chickens and pepperup potions. Anyway here's the video. Sadly this was on pb pace. I beat the rat at 4 mins 8 secs so this was a good run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pumLE3Wr4X8
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Huh, I tried recreating the glitch but couldn't. Is there something specific you did? Or was it just quick inputs?
Yeah its pretty easy. Basically you have to press up or down at the same time you select a spell. This causes the cursor to move to a different spot, even an empty one. This can be done like in the video or even above flipendo uno or below mucus ad naseum (you cant see the cursor move here so you just have to guess). Anyway I tried to find a way to continue the game with the high magic power but I couldn't. I tried multiple enemies and bosses and tried canceling it with poison damage. Nothing has worked so far. It would be nice to find a way to do this though as it would significantly shorten the time.
Ok so I did a few runs tonight. One decent one ended with a critical hit on the troll and the other one I finished a minute behind my pb. I've found the strong points of my pb and there's not many places to save time. This one was sort of deathless. I got caught by two turtles on the way to the restricted section so it was sort of a crappy deathwarp. Here are the splits.

The best thing to come out of this run is a new application of a glitch. I found out that if you triple tap a (like you do in the final boss fights to do poison damage) then you can skip two or three enemy attacks. This is mostly useful only two boss fights, the rat with the Circe card and Devil's Snare. This only works when all three enemies attack first. Anyway has anyone done runs or played around with this glitch anymore?

Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
I finished a run yesterday. 2:15-ish. Haha, I've done better, but I've got to get sub-2:00.
Oh Ok. Once you find out little ways to save time it will go down quickly. Menus are really important to. I think my worst part of the run is making potions. I always mess that up.
Edit history:
CactusPiquant: 2014-08-16 01:55:44 am
Chris, you just need to do some runs, and everything will come.
Yup, making potions is a pain. Maybe we can find more in the route, that way we will have less potions to make. As when I found the pepper potion near to Nearly Headless Nick.
Well, I was pushing the A button at the beggining of each fights. Sometimes mashing, sometimes not. So I probably got the glitch, but never payed (<- not sure about this word) attention to it.
Still not playing. I bought a NTSc Ps2 (waiting for it) to be more legit and serious on Croc. I will probably wait for Croc wr before coming into the game again. I'm as strong as the current wr holder, so it will depend about the number of attemtps (so about the free time I will have). Should be back end September/October.
I'm currently making the saves I talked in my previous post though. To try finding more things. 
Well in my last run I only made 18 wiggenwelds and 2 pepper-up potions due to good luck and drops. I'm sure with optimal luck you could get by on as few as 15 wiggenwelds maybe but it would be extremely tough and rng based. I understand getting the croc record first since thats your main game. I would like to watch attempts of that if you're starting soon. I might do more runs tonight but I'm not sure.
18 seems to be too many as far as you got a grand wiggenweld at the beggining. But only 2 pepper-up? I was crafting like 6-7 of these. Maybe you are getting a lot of pepper-up during the lake phase.

About Croc, I will start practicing on console as soon as I got the console. Will probably start to stream it starting September.
Sorry, for this part out of topic btw.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2014-08-16 09:16:32 am
Well I'll have to check the recording but I think I finished with about 3 wiggenwelds left. I also got really good drops on pepper up potions (I think I had 4 or 5 when i got ingredients). I really don't want to add more randomness by depending on item drop luck. It will obviously save time if it happens but I don't want to rely on it yet.

Btw my troll fight was awful. I think I lost a minute on the split, used too many potions, and also somehow survived 2 critical hits (one brought me to 1 health). So I think a good troll fight is required to have less potions.
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
There is a Wiggenweld Potion right before the lake. It's by the rock on the left side of Hagrid, so it's not too out of the way. I haven't found any more yet.
Yeah Chris. That one is definitely useful. I think I remember finding that one but somehow missed it for the route.
Sure. The troll is like a key of the run, the fight can be really bad, awful, ...
Probably the fight I hate the most (except last one, when final boss kills you in 2 turns and you can't do anything except trying to beat him again).
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Finally broke 2:00! 1:59:28! Grin

I have a few notes now after playing a bit more. How many battles is everybody getting in at the lake? I've been counting, and it takes 50 *casts* to level up Verdimillious and Incendio. Malfoy takes on average 5, so I've been doing about 40 on the lake. It takes a little bit of time, but I figure it's safer to do the majority of grinding on the lake rather than grinding Snakes, which is where most of my unintentional deaths happen. (And crap turtles)

Wiggenweld Potions. Would it be quicker to make fewer potions and buy some after the History of Magic Rat? After basic testing, I think you can afford 6 Wiggenweld Potions after all the boss fights up to beating the rat. I don't know if it's individually faster than farming for ingredients and making potions though.
Congrats Chris. Btw is that real time or in-game time?

I don't really like counting casts because that just hurts my head. I usually just go for every battle I see on the lake and I might reset it by running into the wall if I had very few battles. I just assume that the snake fang is going to be bad and I'll need the extra fights. One thing I have been trying to do though is make sure I level up on the knight. This way I have full health for potions class. I usually go into the knight fight at 70 sp and almost no mp. It is definitely safer however to do the grinding on the lake.

Judging by my savestates (probably not accurate) I could only afford 5 before history of magic. That seems like a long way to walk but it might save time. I'm sure there is some randomness in sickle counts based on enemies you kill. Now that I think about it though there is a sickle pickup (134) right on the desk in front of the tv in defense against the dark arts. I used to get it before I made potions. As long as its 6 or 7 potions then it would probably save time although it would be nice to have a close place to walk.

I just thought about something. Are you talking about fred and george or diagon alley? Diagon alley would totally be worth it and I would only make probably 10-12 potions. Definitely a time save there.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2014-08-21 06:40:56 pm
Ok so I just found another 170 sickles in the square box on the first floor. You walk past this many times so this is definitely faster than making potions.

Edit: I found out that all sickle pick-ups (not enemy drops) are random, between 100-200 I think.
Ok so I've tested this out. It definitely saves time. I save about 45 sec. - 1 min on my herbology split (and my pb had a good split) and then while doing two runs I lost 14 sec. and 16 sec. while buying the potions. I didn't specifically time out the potions but on average with two runs this saves time. (30-45 sec). I already have been screwed by sickle rng. I was 5 sickles short of buying 6 potions on my last run. I could have survived but I was trying to push the limits of how many potions you can get away with. I bought 5 and made 10 and then picked up the remaining potions on the route. The troll killed my first run and I had the game freeze on chickens again on my second run. Anyway thanks for the tip it seems to help
Twitch.tv/chrislaughs
Nice. I haven't been able to do any more runs yet. I was getting potions in diagon alley after the rat fight.
Yeah I plan to get a run with this route soon. I've had one more run and it died to a critical hit in Defence against the dark arts in a really stupid way. i would have won if I just attacked but i healed with a pumpkin pastry and then he got me. I had 26 sp and he hit me for 28.

Also I found this Folio Triplicus guide here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/gbc/565542-harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stone/faqs/20834) and I might try to see if any can be used to save time. A few look promising (one looks like it might make the troll do no damage for the entire fight) but I havent tried them and you have to find the cards first. The only way for this to work is if the cards are not rng based and not only availiable by chocolate frogs although if its reliable enough we could use all of the money from the potions in the new route for cards and go by chance. Im not sure it would work though.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2014-08-26 10:14:42 pm
Ok so I did a run and it was going well until charms and the restricted section. It finally ended with yet another chicken freeze. That makes 5 for me. At one  point in the run I was 2:47 ahead ( I would lose around 20 secs. buying potions in diagon alley). By the time I got to the chickens I was only 10 seconds ahead so I played really badly. Anyway here are the splits I got so that you can see the time saved on the herbology split by getting less ingredients. Anyway I'll play again later.

The +20 seconds on the history of magic split is mainly due to buying potions. The rat fight was average.

Edit history:
psirockin123: 2014-08-28 02:53:25 pm
Ok so I uploaded the last two chicken game freezes. That makes 5 total for me now. The first one worries me because it didn't freeze at the beginning of the fight but when I cast the spell. The second one the screen just went black. I really wish this wasn't a thing although it does mercy kill some bad runs that i would have wasted time finishing. Anyway I probably do a few attempts tonight.

Edit history:
psirockin123: 2014-08-30 03:37:26 pm
Ok so I don't know if anybody needs this anymore but I took the time to update the route. This is pretty much exactly what I do but it does not have all of the little timesavers because that would be tedious to type out. This includes the new potion route. Anyway here it is. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Edit: Removed the link that didn't work. New link on next page.