--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Ongnissim: 2015-07-15 04:46:04 am
Ongnissim: 2015-07-15 04:44:47 am
Started running this game and found some timesaves at the beginning.
First off is not levelling up before the big rat at the beginning which saves about a minute. It is very inconsistent and pretty much requires a crit or the rat missing. Getting the enemy attack skip when you heal is also required. It is early on so it is worth resetting over it.

Secondly, After the rat, I buy 25 chocolate frogs and use the folio triplicus trick twice to get the money back before buying everything in diagon alley. I then use the trick twice again on the train for the train skip. Bear in mind that the chocolate frogs don't always guarantee 4 card combinations so you may need to buy more. This skips having to level up on the lake and saves around 3 minutes if you don't get any encounters. By the way, how do you get the hedwig easter egg on the lake? This would make getting no encounters easier.

Finally, I don't buy a belt in diagon alley. It doesn't help enough to be worth buying and isn't on hagrids list and skipping it saves a few menus.
The Hedwig Easter egg works if you buy 30 pair of boots in daigon alley, then pause and unpause on the lake.

Also, do you plan on streaming your attempts, cause I'd love to watch
Oh right. It won't be optimal for any% then. Oh well. I will be recording my runs and will start streaming in September.
welcome Ongnissim,
i think that any strats before the train are really usless... you really need a good rng for the cards... btw i will try your strats...just for testing it Smiley
They may be inconsitent and RNG based but the amount of time saved seems worth it seeing as it happens right at the beginning and you can reset for good RNG. Most of the worst RNG is gone after potions class which is nice.
While it is definitely faster I probably won't start doing it yet. I generally pick more consistent strategies which is why I pick up the needed cards and also buy way too many chocolate frogs before the HOM fight (which is slower btw). I want to get a solid time with the route now before I try anything too reset heavy. I barely do runs anymore so I would much rather see runs finish than reset in the first 5 mins. More proof that I'm a bad speedrunner. Anyway glad to have you running the game. Do you have a time yet or are you still practicing? And if you need anything just ask.
I have done 1 completed run which was a 1:48:48 and had another which was sub 1:40 pace that died at the stupid potion minigame. My recording software has stopped working properly but I will start streaming soon so will likely attempt runs then. In the meantime, I am going to look for glitches and try to replicate the TAS train glitch thing.
Ok cool. Just to let you know we have some new times now. Supermonkeypotato took the wr with an awesome time of 1:28:07 (seconds might be off there) and yesterday I got a time of 1:29:59. Gand also found a new strat that helps us get a lot of xp and cards early on. We fight the rat and hope for hardened boots (although not necessary), dupe the fight a few times (you can get boots here even if the initial fight didn't drop them) and then sell all of the boots you get. The boots sell for around 380 so we can easily buy 100+ cards before leaving diagon alley and never need to buy anymore. The strat works and is used in my pb where it overall didn't lose me any time but I was much better off.
Edit history:
psirockin123: 2015-08-02 01:38:18 pm
So here's my current pb.

And here are the splits. This run can get much better as the world record is 1:45 faster and that can still be faster so hopefully we will have faster times soon.

Attachment:
he take my 3rd position... it's time to me to come back to run the game again Cheesy
Finally got round to learning the route for the game, so expect runs in the near future
Edit history:
bubbleb0bbler: 2015-08-06 08:20:19 am
bubbleb0bbler: 2015-08-06 08:07:14 am
bubbleb0bbler: 2015-08-06 08:02:33 am
I'm starting to learn the run too - I'm wondering why I cant do train skip though, as I always get told I have to be in a battle for it
is there a setup that needs to be done? do I have to pause very quickly?
thanks

edit: I just noticed the any% guide on the last page - my bad, I only had psirockin's guide previously
I was trying to access the triplicus through the header rather than through items
http://www.speedrun.com/run/nz18dkry

Finished my first run, used some different strats at the beginning, didn't get boots so had to go risky on Chocolate Frogs, Died in Potions, Died to  second rat at Gringotts, Died during night time, but somehow still got 1:29:59
Wow, that is a very strong time despite all of the issues, on top of it being your first run. Good job. That means I am going back to the grind again next weekend. I guess another HP2-LESS week ahead of me.
Cool monkey, once I get a good time for this game I'll move over to hp2
Welcome bubbleb0bbler

yes, you need to use the folio from the item section and not from the first page. Remember you need to win the fight to perform the glitch. ( i don't know if work with a Flee-fight too)
http://www.speedrun.com/run/7ylo95ky

New pb! Which also means new WR! New time is 1:26:55. To be honest the only good part was the ending, if it weren't for Devil's Snare saving me a minute and 23 seconds, I would have not pb'd that strong, just wish that Quirrell had not poisoned me though. Other than that the run is improvable because my middle was pretty terrible, with a death at Herbology split picking up items. I think that I will be done with this game, aside from races, until someone beats my time.
http://www.speedrun.com/run/9yo9j40y

Offline PB of 1:24:50, which means WR. The run was amazing up until Troll Skip, which I failed twice, and then the run fell apart after that, but boss fights were okay in the second half which help me to preserve my lead. I'll probably wait for Monkey to beat this run before I try again, I'll move onto HP2 GBC
Good job on the run, good luck in HP2. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Thanks Super, I remember last time I tried to learn HP2 that the frogs gave me trouble cause my leveling wasn't right
http://www.speedrun.com/run/oy2v1pjz

New pb of 1:24:00. Could have been better, just wasn't meant to be right now I guess. Let's see how far we can take this time down!
It's been ages since I was here last but after some catching up I have a question about the early parts of the route. After some experimentation I found that the XP and the item drops folio triplicus trick rely on your most recent encounter, so obviously you want to use it after the Gringotts rat and get hardened boots. And you need the boots to get enough money to buy more cards.

Is there any way to reliably get the boots or is it just a reset and do the first four minutes over and over until you get the right drop? Is there a back up strat?
All you can do is do two dupes after the initial fight, if you don't get the drop after that it is a reset. There really isn't a way to manipulate the drop at all.
http://www.speedrun.com/run/7ylon93y

New stronger pb of 1:22:15. Still have that problem with the midgame killing my time, but my end more than made up for it. For now, I am done with this game.

Was just messing around in the game this morning and this was my end result.