Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011 -> <- 1 .. 4 .. 11 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Simulate LCD artifacts? I suppose so, but there are other features I'd rather get working first.  I'll release the code at some point so anyone can mess with it.
Fucking Weeaboo
For software, will it work with any capture software, like VirtualDub?  Or will a certain program be used?

The video samples are making me drool in desire for this device.
Visit us!
No, they're captured using Loopy's device, but they can be converted in VirtualDub, when desired.

This is what I usually do:
Line In in my iMac.
DS Capture in my MacBook Pro.
iMac has Audio Hijack Pro running, in Mac OS X Lion.
MacBook Pro has Hypercam2 running, in Windows 8 (Developer Preview).

Video Codec used: CamStudio Lossless Codec.

Afterwards, I first shrink the file size of the Hypercam'd video with the Divx Codec, using VirtualDub.
Then I send the video to my iMac, using TeamViewer, and add sound using iMovie '11.

Results:
Insert credit
so nice, can't wait for release !

by scanline effect, i meant this (picture on right)
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
yuck. i sure wouldn't miss that effect.
The DS never had scanlines though because the image was never interlaced, nor viewed on a crt. Why would you want to add them?
For Retrofans possible?

But in my oppinion it isn't really useful...
Insert credit
It's just a bonus feature, not a priority. Better to ask while software is developed.
Fucking Weeaboo
I looked over the instructions for installation today, just to see how bad it'll be.  It doesn't seem too bad, though cutting stuff out might be a bit tricky.

BTW, is the small connector cable obviously one sided?  I mean not the "long side/short side" in the picture, but "face up/face down"?  That's about the only real unobvious thing in the instructions from what I see right now.

The software is, while very basic, fairly easy to use.  Would be nice to have some hot keys and save the options I selected, but there's time for that later.
once I receive the replacement shell kits and touch screens from DX, I will be making available what amounts to basically "brand new" systems where the lower shell is finished (dremeled) and loopy's capture boards installed for those not wishing to undertake the mod.

Sir VG:
yes, the provided ribbon cable is one sided and as the instructions state, you insert the end with the longer exposed lines (face down) into the connector where the cable running from the top display had been plugged into. the only other instruction, which may not be obvious from the photos, is how the locking mechanism for the other end of the short ribbon cable locks to capture the 2nd end. however, once you have the board in hand, it makes sense.
Fucking Weeaboo
Good.  I know most ribbon cables are one sided (I've worked with a lot of laptops) so I'm glad these are too - it's just not as obvious in the picture.

I'm only really worried about the drilling a hole part for the USB port.  Other then that, this should be a piece of cake.
Visit us!
But keep in mind, that these kind of ribbon cables must be one sided, because it could end really bad for your computer, if you plug a cable in, at the wrong side.
I mean, for example: The IDE Cable.
You know why one side has less holes?
It's to prevent bricking.
I've been testing loopy's capture device and software for a little over a week now, but it was only last night that I finally got around to carving up the lower shell half to properly seat the capture board and reassemble the ds system.

I'll post some photos later tonight of the process to show exactly what needs to be done (expanding on loopy's instructions).
I'm not sure what loopy used, but I used a variable speed dremel with two different bits. one was a small cylindrical bit to elminate the "L" shaped brace and the two risers for the stylus channel. the 2nd bit was an extremely fine cutting tip to carefully elongate the hole where the usb connector is exposed.

overall, I'm quite pleased with the results for a first go around and its obvious that both the shape and position of the capture board were carefully thought out to make it pretty easy to fit everything back together. (in fact, you really don't even need to 3M double-sided tape, since the board gets positioned and locks into the correct position.)
here are the images including my final result:

So a new question, I know I ask a lot of them, I apologize xP

Is there a new estimate to when the batch of capture cards are going to be done, or are we still in limbo waiting on a source for the connectors?
New connectors are shipping now, so maybe next week.
Edit history:
AniMeowzerz: 2011-10-01 10:09:06 am
Oh, excellent! Cheesy

aaaaaand where do I make payments to when said connectors are done and ready to be ordered? <_<>_> (preferably paypal)
Yes, paypal.  I'll give those details out when it's time.
How long takes shipping to Germany?
Edit history:
akumajo: 2011-10-02 07:41:03 am
Insert credit
what is the default resolution of 1 screen, 256 x 192 ? same question but for both screen, 512 x 384 ?

how will works full screen ?
1 screen = 256x192, 2 screens = 256x384
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 07:39:19 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 07:39:00 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 07:38:24 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 05:33:41 am
DS Dictator
Any advice on how to prevent dropped frames during a lossless codec other than running less programs? I'm using Lagarith Lossless and set it to either RGB or RGBA and none of the boxes ticked in the config menu. This is via DS Capture software and not screen capture application.
It's probably going to take a while til I can produce a SDA worthy RAW file that doesn't have dropped frames and desyncs in audio.

Another edit:
Well I know a way to make my videos watchable for Youtube uploads by using Xsplit Local Record option. On my new PC I can even use it to broadcast it to Justin.tv without any broadcast lag, etc.
For SDA worthy raws however, I need a bit more time to figure it out.
what is your hardware configuration? (the reason that I'm asking is that I know that I had ms office 2010 word, photoshop cs4, ie9 and a few other applications opened while I was doing the sample captures and I never experienced any issues.
I'm running an asus workstation motherboard with an intel i7 920 2.66GHz processor, 6GB of 1600 triple channel ram, 800watt psu and a 2GB ATI radeon sapphire 4890 vapor x videocard. my system would have been considered something special about 2 years ago, but not today.

I don't believe that I've experienced the problem with dropped frames, but you do bring up a request for the software.

loopy:
would it be possible for you to display the number of frames captured / dropped while recording using your software sort of like hypercam does?
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 08:12:13 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 08:11:43 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 08:11:40 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-04 08:11:38 am
DS Dictator
custom-z68
Intel Z68 Chipset

Customizations:

CPU:  Intel Core i7 2600
CPU Cooler:  Xigmatek HDT-S963
Operating System:  No Operating System - I will install my own (Running XP now, waiting for Windows 7 Ultimate to be delivered)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte Z68A-D3
Memory:  16GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x 4GB)
Hard Drives:  1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
2nd hard drive:  500GB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive:  4x Blu-Ray ROM S-ATA
2nd optical drive:  22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Sound card:  Onboard 7.1 Audio Included
Accessories:  Firewire Card
Case:  Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU:  500W Xigmatek

Edit:

Another software update request to loopy:

Would it be possible to select a destination of where the AVI videos will be saved (aka Save As). Unless I am mistaken having more than 1 hard drive makes it a bit easier

http://speeddemosarchive.com/kb/Digital_Capture#Windows_Settings

It's a guide on FRAPS but I still think this applies because it's a bit challenging for new users

Quote:
The hardware listed here is not critical to be able to record with FRAPS, this is recommended hardware for getting the best possible performance out of FRAPS.
Dual-core (or better) CPU: This will allow you to run the game and FRAPS on different CPU cores, significantly improving the recording performance.

2GB (or more) of RAM: Even though FRAPS isn't the most memory hungry application you want to make sure there's plenty of RAM to minimize the risk of sudden disk swapping that can ruin your recording.

2 hard drives: Same reason we want at least a dual-core CPU. Running the game on one drive while having FRAPS record to another will greatly improve recording performance. Note that drive partitions do not fall under this category, it has to be 2 physical drives.

Graphics card: Anything that has Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon printed on it. You want something that can at least keep a solid 30 frames per second when running the game with the resolution you're recording in. I have yet to find any solid information if the graphics card play any further role when it comes to FRAPS.

If you have a version of FRAPS below 3.x or are running on Windows XP, you will also need a soundcard that can record using either Stereo Mix or ”What U Hear”. When software capture is not available, this will let you record sound.
Just about all soundcards will have Stereo Mix, somewhat modern Creative Soundblaster cards will have ”What U Hear” which is the exact same thing but with a ridiculous name.
Greenalink,
try using huffyUV, as that isn't as harsh as lagarith can be (I can't record with lagarith myself)