--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
loopy: 2011-09-08 12:25:56 am
Quote from YamiHoshi.nl:
If the guess is correct, it means the first cameraless DS Speedruns are going to pop-up on this site, next week.

Next week is probably premature, but we'll see.  Right now I'm just waiting for parts to arrive.  Some good news, though -- a finished board is tested and working fine (until now, I've been doing all my testing on an early prototype).

I've settled on $50 USD + shipping for the price.  I do have a SMALL number of boards I got for testing.  I suppose if you're impatient, I can send a few of those out now.  You get to be a guinea pig and work out installation / software kinks for me Wink (I'll give a nice discount).
Edit history:
AniMeowzerz: 2011-09-08 01:18:29 am
One question I have about the device: Is the software going to be necessary to view the captured image? If so, will the program be able to record footage by itself or will we need screen capturing?
And what are the possibilities of developing a driver so it registers as a webcam for use in other programs? =P (And possibly choice of which screens you could record from?)

Edit: That was certainly not one question, I apologize for misleading you
Visit us!
>>loopy
Could you also take in mind, that customs in the EU are counted from € 22 EUR?
I mean, anything below that is customs free, anything between € 22,- and € 150,- is the same amount of customs as the VAT is in your country (in my case, 19%), and anything above € 150,- is the VAT + extra customs.
Sending as a gift, however, is also customs free.

I'd like to test this out, but I don't have another DS Phat anymore, only the one hooked on the old Capture Device, using the Digilent boards.

>>AniMeowzerz
I don't know about this one, but the old one (YH-NITRO-CAPTURE) uses a viewer software that runs on Windows XP, Vista, and 7, and software like HyperCam2 is required.

My current setup is:
Macbook Pro on Windows 7 with the device hooked on it, captured through HyperCam2.
iMac with Mac OS X Lion with a Line In cable plugged in, captured through Audio Hijack Pro.
Then I just sync the video and sound in iMovie.
And to make processing take a lot shorter, VirtualDub is used to cut down the size of the video, before using iMovie.
Here's how it turned out:
Oh that actually looks pretty good. Is there a reason you're using a separate computer to pick up the audio? Does it make your video recording computer lag??
Visit us!
The reason is, because Windows 7 doesn't know there's a Line In port on my Macbook Pro.
If it knew it's available, there would be no need for separate computers.
Quote from AniMeowzerz:
One question I have about the device: Is the software going to be necessary to view the captured image? If so, will the program be able to record footage by itself or will we need screen capturing?

I will provide a driver + software that you can use to view and record (to .avi) from the device.  Or if you wanted to, you could use the software only as a display and use some other capture software like YamiHoshi.nl is doing.  Currently the software is Windows only (I hope to change this soon)

Quote from AniMeowzerz:
And what are the possibilities of developing a driver so it registers as a webcam for use in other programs? =P (And possibly choice of which screens you could record from?)

I don't know, I'm not familiar with how webcams work. I can look into this later.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
i have a question.

if a buyer was interested in the capture device but didn't own a DSphat, would it be possible to get a fully assembled unit by sending the additional money needed to get a DSphat?
Visit us!
I don't think it could be possible, as Loopy needs to find one (at eBay) first.
Yeah, I'd be willing to do installations for people if they send a DS or find one on eBay/whatever and give me the money for it.  (Maybe a small fee for the work if I get overwhelmed with requests, I dunno.)  Not a long term strategy, but I'm comfortable doing that for the first bunch so I can test em out thoroughly.
Edit history:
ExtremeYoshiFan: 2011-09-08 04:13:58 pm
ExtremeYoshiFan: 2011-09-08 02:58:14 pm
What is the cost for shipping? I'd imagine it isn't much, but I can somehow see it being rather expensive depending on your location.

I am interested in testing one. I even have an unusual OS on one of my PC's which I can gladly test for you... Windows XP 64 bit(I can force install the driver and see how it behaves for you).

Also, I can't help but notice that your other test DS is orange, is that just the lighting? I also have to say that is one one clean testing board.

In other news, shouldn't the rules now be changed to no longer allow Camera runs now that we have an adequate video solution?
DS Dictator
Quote:
In other news, shouldn't the rules now be changed to no longer allow Camera runs now that we have an adequate video solution?

That is a tough question.
For a start, this mod enables to use the cheapest DS model and a solderless passthrough board.

We still need to think about other things too like:

- We still need to camera film runs that uses DSi only retail, DSiware, 3DS retail and 3DSWare
- Since DS phat are no longer in production, it's not always going to be easy finding a decent/mint condition unit.
- If we reject newer made runs on DS classic games we should not remove the old camera film runs immediately.
- We don't know how many passthrough boards there will be made in the long run, I'll be suprised if there are more Passthrough boards than let's say the Gameboy Player for instance.
- But then again this is a mod and look at the Game Gear, it's possbile to mod but it's hard to do, etc.

-------------

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be willing to do installations for people if they send a DS or find one on eBay/whatever and give me the money for it.  (Maybe a small fee for the work if I get overwhelmed with requests, I dunno.)  Not a long term strategy, but I'm comfortable doing that for the first bunch so I can test em out thoroughly

I'm kinda interested for this, so I'll need to pay:
$50 for the passthrough add on,
$?? to deliver it back to the UK

I've never attached money during a post before, so would people attach money inside the delivery box or pay it through via Paypal? I need to use a money converter to find out how much £ there is in a $
Edit history:
ExtremeYoshiFan: 2011-09-08 05:24:45 pm
ExtremeYoshiFan: 2011-09-08 05:23:53 pm
Quote from Greenalink:

That is a tough question.
For a start, this mod enables to use the cheapest DS model and a solderless passthrough board.

We still need to think about other things too like:

- We still need to camera film runs that uses DSi only retail, DSiware, 3DS retail and 3DSWare
- Since DS phat are no longer in production, it's not always going to be easy finding a decent/mint condition unit.
- If we reject newer made runs on DS classic games we should not remove the old camera film runs immediately.
- We don't know how many passthrough boards there will be made in the long run, I'll be suprised if there are more Passthrough boards than let's say the Gameboy Player for instance.
- But then again this is a mod and look at the Game Gear, it's possbile to mod but it's hard to do, etc.

Well, for the actual DS, ebay, GS, and craigslist have a decent supply. $80 is pricy, but they are still easily obtainable. The newer runs we'll still need cameras for now, but this seems like the best way to go from here on out, or at least set a deadline date when camera runs will no longer be accepted.

http://www.gamestop.com/ds/consoles/nintendo-ds-system-recharged-refurbished/90582

If you have a decent hand at soldering you can get them even cheaper if they have stupid issues. I'm probably going to pick up a spare DS to throw this kit into.
Quits halfway
I really don't think camera runs should stop being accepted. I don't plan on getting this for the fat DS, and even when the 3DS one comes out, there are some games that are far better to play on DSi than fat DS/3DS (because of button placement, button feel, and dpad differences). Camera quality is definitely worse, but it's not really all that bad.
loopy:
I've sent you a pm indicating that I'd be willing to purchase one of the test boards and act as a guinea pig for software testing. just let me know.
Quote from ExtremeYoshiFan:
... I can't help but notice that your other test DS is orange, is that just the lighting? I also have to say that is one one clean testing board.

Just the lighting.  It's a red DS.
Quote from Greenalink:
I've never attached money during a post before, so would people attach money inside the delivery box or pay it through via Paypal? I need to use a money converter to find out how much £ there is in a $

I think sending cash through the mail is a bad idea.  I prefer PayPal, but I'm open to other suggestions.
DS Dictator
Yeah I can do Paypal, I'm just looking through the  'Send Money' option.
Now since I'm paying for more than 1-2 reasons:
* Getting the add on and
* Sending it back to the UK
So what would I click on:

This is a purchase of: "Goods" / "eBay items" / "Services"
or
This money is being sent as a: "Gift" / "Household expense" / "Personal Payment owed" / "Other"?

I have been sending DVDs to Nate in the past and that roughly takes 5 days delivery. So I am aware that this entire operation wouldn't be completed in less than 3-5 days Wink
Quote from Greenalink:
So what would I click on:

This is a purchase of: "Goods" / "eBay items" / "Services"
or
This money is being sent as a: "Gift" / "Household expense" / "Personal Payment owed" / "Other"?

It doesn't matter to me as long as the money gets here, but I suppose I would classify it as a "Purchase of goods".
Edit history:
AniMeowzerz: 2011-09-10 10:21:37 am
AniMeowzerz: 2011-09-10 10:21:24 am
IIRC sending it as a gift makes it so you don't have (additional) fees?
I found this on paypal fees...
Edit history:
thieves like us: 2011-09-13 05:41:22 am
thieves like us: 2011-09-13 05:39:52 am
thieves like us: 2011-09-12 09:12:10 pm
thieves like us: 2011-09-12 09:11:44 pm
if loopy doesn't have a problem with this, I have 4 extra phat ds systems lying about, however all are in kind of rough shape (one needs an upper display) and all need to be re-cased (heavy scratches). additionally, I would probably replace the touch screens as well since the part is relatively cheap.
if anyone is interested and needs a phat system, I can do a case swap with any case found on dealextreme's website and dremel the lower case to fit loopy's capture board. total cost would be $100. this price includes the system, the case swap, new touch screen and shipping within the united states (yeah, kind of expensive I know, but it takes quite awhie to do the case swaps on the older systems and you have to be especially careful not to blow a fuse or screw up the flexible case during re-assembly).

on the plus side, this would give you basically a brand new system for capturing.

of the cases that dealextreme offers, I would recommend one the following kits based on the customer feedback and comments:
blue/black
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/21874

red/black
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/21869

silver/black
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/21872

and all black
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5128

pm me if you're interested
Visit us!
Did you sell any Capture Boards?
If not, I'd like Greenalink and Sir VG to be the first to have one of these.
The reason is, they've been supporting this subject since the very beginning in 2008, and they still do.
Any other person that's supporting this in a range of 2008-2011 may have it first as well.
from red to blue
I'd buy this if there were drivers for use as a webcam.
Visit us!
There are drivers, but not for use as a webcam.
just another thought for those considering purchasing one of loopy's capture boards
given the the capture device can be installed without any soldering and that the only modification required is cutting a hole in the bottom half of the shell for the usb port, if your ds phat is good condition, you may want to consider purchasing an aftermarket shell kit from dealextreme.com or ebay, and butcher that rather than cutting up your original system.

just be aware that there are a few different manufacturers in HK producing these kits (of varying degrees of quality and compatibility with the existing components), so while the pictures may indicate what appears to be a good replacement kit, what you purchase may or may not mesh well with the parts from your original system.

since I have to replace the shells on the 4 extra systems that I currently have, I'll see if I can help to take the guess work out of which kits are worth purchasing (vs. those which are garbage and should be avoided).

if you go the dealextreme route, you will undoubtedly pay a lot less for the kits, but be aware that on average, it takes about 4 weeks to receive your order (in you live in the states).