Sad
page  <- 1234567891011 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 11 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Sent PM.
Gonna throw out that I'm eager to buy and be a guinea pig if needed.
Okay, I just want to say that I'm fully ready to buy one of these once they are available.  Thanks for all of you hard work loopy!
Quote from Greenalink:
Any advice on how to prevent dropped frames during a lossless codec other than running less programs? I'm using Lagarith Lossless and set it to either RGB or RGBA and none of the boxes ticked in the config menu. This is via DS Capture software and not screen capture application.
It's probably going to take a while til I can produce a SDA worthy RAW file that doesn't have dropped frames and desyncs in audio.

Another edit:
Well I know a way to make my videos watchable for Youtube uploads by using Xsplit Local Record option. On my new PC I can even use it to broadcast it to Justin.tv without any broadcast lag, etc.
For SDA worthy raws however, I need a bit more time to figure it out.

Is your cpu usage near 100%? I'm wondering where the bottleneck is.  Audio shouldn't desync even if frames are dropped, so I'll look into that.  And yes, I can add in a Save As... option (I doubt that will have any effect on performance though).
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 08:40:47 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 08:32:27 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 08:26:00 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 07:20:50 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 07:20:16 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 07:19:51 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 07:19:17 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 07:19:14 am
Greenalink: 2011-10-05 07:19:13 am
DS Dictator
The CPU performance with the AVI capturing is around 10%.

AniMeowzerz. tried Huffyuv v2.1.1 and I am still getting dropped frames. It could be the motherboard I'm using :/

Here are two videos streaming links used with Xsplit 'screen region' recording:

Code:
http://www.twitch.tv/greenalinksda/b/296689958

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMH4J32lNV0&lc=IhHaVu63fWIpU22SSfB65HCx35T1wtS1j-nG38Yl1VY&feature=inbox

Take note on the lack of dropped frames and no audio desync.

I'll post my avi raws soon.

Edit:
I managed to trick to where it should save the avi files so the DS capture is running on my Main HDD and the avi files are being saved on my External HDD, used Huffyuv lossless v2.1.1 with 'CD quality PCM' on the audio settings and did a 40 second recording at around 200mb and it only had 1 glitched graphic frame but no desync in audio. So progress is getting good.
So in average it's roughly 1GB after ~3.5 minutes.

Edits:
Anri-Chan encodes

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20859183/ST_LQ.mp4

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20859184/ST.mp4

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20859182/ST_HQ.mp4

The HQ version is clearly the most faithful out of the 3 in terms of picture quality, that even MQ looks bleh.
Interesting.  Sounds like it's just my .avi writing code that needs to be improved.
Edit history:
loopy: 2011-10-06 08:35:05 am
I got annoyed when my battery ran out.  With a fairly simple mod, it charges from USB now Smiley
(it does require some soldering though).

Edit history:
AniMeowzerz: 2011-10-06 08:56:06 am
Hah, I might actually send in my DS just so you can do that Tongue (I'd pay extra, of course)
Buuuuuuut does that mean the regular charger doesnt work as well as it should with the new chip?
Edit history:
loopy: 2011-10-06 09:04:33 am
The regular charger still works the same.  This way the battery can never run out while capturing, and you don't need to have two cables plugged in.
DS Dictator
When I capture New Super Mario Bros with a SDA worthy codec, the DS capture window runs at a mixture of 30-60 time to time, causing a 0.5 second pause partway through the recording followed by a desync of sound on the .avi playback.
If I use a very cheap, crappy bitrate codec without sound the window runs at a full frame rate.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20861988/the+error.avi
The video itself is 30fps, even though I set the software to record at 60.  This video should show what a notable frame cut will look like, it cut ups the image but not the sound, causing the desync.
Quote from Greenalink:
When I capture New Super Mario Bros with a SDA worthy codec, the DS capture window runs at a mixture of 30-60 time to time, causing a 0.5 second pause partway through the recording followed by a desync of sound on the .avi playback.
If I use a very cheap, crappy bitrate codec without sound the window runs at a full frame rate.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20861988/the+error.avi
The video itself is 30fps, even though I set the software to record at 60.  This video should show what a notable frame cut will look like, it cut ups the image but not the sound, causing the desync.

That sounds like your PC is the issue there. What are the specs on your PC? I'd also think it may be your HDD is too slow, is it IDE or SATA?
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2011-10-06 04:20:57 pm
DS Dictator
Quote:
That sounds like your PC is the issue there. What are the specs on your PC? I'd also think it may be your HDD is too slow, is it IDE or SATA?

PC Specs:
The hdd are S-ATA 6.Gb/s and the CPU usage is only 10% when running the AVI, I had to look up on "Low CPU usages but still dropping frames" on Google and Screen resolution could be one of them. I am running it on a 42 inch HD TV with a HDMI cable connected at the highest resolution of 1920x1080 which is a bit powerful for the graphics card, I set it to a lower resolution of 1024x768 and it is getting a bit better.

Quote:
custom-z68
Intel Z68 Chipset

Customizations:

CPU:  Intel Core i7 2600
CPU Cooler:  Xigmatek HDT-S963
Operating System:  No Operating System - I will install my own (Running XP now, waiting for Windows 7 Ultimate to be delivered)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte Z68A-D3
Memory:  16GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x 4GB)
Hard Drives:  1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
2nd hard drive:  500GB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive:  4x Blu-Ray ROM S-ATA
2nd optical drive:  22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Sound card:  Onboard 7.1 Audio Included
Accessories:  Firewire Card
Case:  Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU:  500W Xigmatek
Quote from loopy:
I got annoyed when my battery ran out.  With a fairly simple mod, it charges from USB now Smiley

taking a page from the chameleon board that I sent you? Wink
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2011-10-07 12:33:11 pm
DS Dictator
Ok, I now know why the sound desyncs after the video lag frames. Even though both sources are recorded with the same software at the same time, the sound source is coming from the line out (from the DS) and not the main pc source that is used to playback videos. So any lag/cuts in the video does not affect the audio, causing to desync.
I tried a little trick with amarectv that it grabs the source from Xsplit and records the footage in Lossless AVI and Uncompressed sound (but this time from the main pc sound)... although it is dropping frames, it does a mini pause and not a skip (seen on my avi raw) meaning the sound does not desync during playback. So the only thing left to do is to prevent frames from dropping now.
Quote from thieves like us:
Quote from loopy:

taking a page from the chameleon board that I sent you? Wink

I know that removing the existing power port and replacing it with some kind of usb port is a fairly common DS mod that has been around for a long time. I suppose it wasn't much of a jump to do the same thing with the usb port of the capture board assuming that the total power consumption of the DS and the capture board wasn't more than the usb port could provide.

I'll definitely be doing this mod myself when I get one of these boards.

Quote from Greenalink:
I tried a little trick with amarectv that it grabs the source from Xsplit and records the footage in Lossless AVI and Uncompressed sound (but this time from the main pc sound)... although it is dropping frames, it does a mini pause and not a skip (seen on my avi raw) meaning the sound does not desync during playback. So the only thing left to do is to prevent frames from dropping now.

You may also want to try using SCFH DSF for your screen capturing needs, but I suppose that if loopy's program's preview is dropping frames, then it just wont matter which screen capturing program you use.
Well, I got those new connectors in, and they are the same shitty cloned parts I got before.  WTF.  Anyone know where I can find some FB3S051C11 connectors? Tongue

For the scant few of you who have a board, I uploaded a new version of the capture app.  Nothing too exciting, I just updated the display code (old version was using ancient DirectX7 code).  Scaling looks better, and fullscreen mode keeps a proper aspect ratio. And you can choose the output directory now.  I'm still working on the AVI sync issues.

Insert credit
full screen looks good !

too bad about your connectors, another month to wait I guess ?
Visit us!
Loopy, did you know that playing around with the file names, made me find a 3rd photo about Full Screen DS Capture?
And something else, did you make the Capture App compatible with the old Digilent version of the Capture Device?
The source code is even incompatible with Visual C++ 6.0.

Also, could you add the possibility to add Live Stream (uStream, Justin.tv, YouTube Live, etc.) support?
Other broadcast Apps drive me crazy (they can't find QuickTime plugin, while I already have QuickTime)!
DS Dictator
Some good news:
After messing around with Virtualdub screen capture, I managed to record an avi raw with:
* No audio desync issues if there is a frame drop
* Framerate recorded at 60fps
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20884587/JamieT.mp4

Hopefully recording stuff at 30fps is good enough that it doesn't drop frames since there is one game in particular that runs at 30fps and the gameplay for the speed run is roughly 3-4 minutes long.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2011-10-14 01:10:26 am
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from loopy:
Well, I got those new connectors in, and they are the same shitty cloned parts I got before.  WTF.  Anyone know where I can find some FB3S051C11 connectors? Tongue

For the scant few of you who have a board, I uploaded a new version of the capture app.  Nothing too exciting, I just updated the display code (old version was using ancient DirectX7 code).  Scaling looks better, and fullscreen mode keeps a proper aspect ratio. And you can choose the output directory now.  I'm still working on the AVI sync issues.

WANT.  Therefore, I will use my computer resources to try to find some sellers of those connectors.

One I have right now is Digikey - http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1611341-conn-ffc-fpc-0-3mm-51pos-r-a-smd-fb3s051c11.html

I'll look for more later.

--
Mouser Electronics (Non-Stocked, 16 weeks) - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/JAE-Electronics/FB3S051C11/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMultxo8vzPmFvSFF9a%2Fm%252biDnYbA6FDa%252beo%3D

(Beware the giant catalogs they'll send you later.  I'm not kidding on this.)
The audio sync problem should be fixed now.  I'm working on the Lagarith performance issue.
while I like the 'change view' button, can it be made into a dropdown allowing you to select both screens, separate screens, gba screen? (and for that, you should really have two options; gba - top screen, gba - bottom screen since the ds allows you to select which screen you're outputting the gba title to.

additionally, are you still planning on giving a field to specify the number of pixel gap between the upper and lower displays when the window is capturing both?
I fixed it to detect top/bottom GBA view.
I was gonna do a dropdown list, then I got lazy Tongue  Yes, I'll work more on the GUI stuff but there are more important things to take care of first.
I haven't posted any updates in a while.  I reordered from Digikey, ETA is mid-December.  I'll be working on 3DS stuff in the meantime.
Visit us!
I see the DS Capture business doesn't go well?
I hope for the people that are still waiting for a DS Capture Board to still get one before 2012.