Sad
<- 123456789
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
thethrillness.blogspot.com
It's on the harder side to find since you MUST fall down on the right.

Also new WR is now 2:54 from matt using the new skips. Nowhere near optimal still. 2:51 seems reasonable.
trepidation
Right, but if you drop from the far right side, it's still pretty easy? Is there any nuance at all? I understand that navigating blindly, while the environments are unloaded, could  be hard, the actual drop  is seemingly  simple.

I only question these skips as a method of understanding them. I can't wait to see more.
The guy who got 2:54 has a really consistent set up for it so yeah it's good.

The glitch is actually easier on PS4 cause you can photo mode and see the out of bounds areas and line your fall up better.
Edit history:
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:27:53 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:27:29 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:27:18 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:25:24 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:25:23 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:25:03 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:25:00 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:24:59 pm
Pewable: 2015-08-28 07:24:32 pm
Hello!

At 05:13

I found a way to clip this door, is it new?

The problem is that everything becomes white and you fall to your death, so you have no way to use the generator, I tried to pause the game to see if it loaded, but nothing happened. I will upload a video of it tomorrow, I can't right now. It's a little tricky but nothing impossible.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-08-29 08:46:11 am
New as far as I know. Interested to see what you do.

Also if anyone doesn't know, universal pallet oob:
Figured out the gate clip but you are right. It's tricky as hell and I have no idea how to do it. It's something about not having Ellie with you right? Or else the whole area could be broken.

Here are some highlights from my stream today:

Pittsburgh skip 1 video: http://www.twitch.tv/thethrillness/v/13458057

Explanation: Original live reaction of finding the whole map is linked. See video 2 of how to do it and get there.

Pittsburgh skip 2 video: http://www.twitch.tv/thethrillness/v/13459070

Explantion: Only thing stopping us from making this work is floaty Joel.

Pittsburgh MASSIVE skip potential (skip 85% of Pittsburgh): http://www.twitch.tv/thethrillness/v/13460320

University gate clip: http://www.twitch.tv/thethrillness/v/13461334
Edit history:
Pewable: 2015-08-29 03:20:11 pm
Hm no, not at all, you... need Ellie. I am uploading a video in 10 minutes, I will just edit this post.

Sorry I took damn so long, can't stop MGS.

Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-09-07 11:03:49 am
TheThrillness: 2015-09-07 11:03:18 am
So due to the pallet out of bounds, it's allowed me to figure out this game's layout and what can be done.

As we know, there are 12 chapters in this game. Each chapter contains multiple levels (besides Hometown which just has the Prologue). For example, The Outskirts chapter contains Outside, Downtown, Museum and The Capitol Building.

I'm 95% sure on this next statement. There exists 12 "maps" in the game, one for each chapter. Why do I say this? During the Sewers we can see the bridge and since we can see the bridge, we can map out where to swim to using the pallet out of bounds in financial district. Unless I'm getting very unlucky, I've never loaded in the sewers or the suburbs.

Fortunately for us the part before Bill's Town (the murky water part) has a pallet and if we swim out we cannot load in Bill's Town either even though we should be able to.

Anyway, this is my current idea to skip like 75% of Pittsburgh which helps to support my idea since we are just going from level to level, not chapter to chapter.

The problem is we are either just too high or just too low in order for the game to detect ground below us to regain control. I'm sure something will eventually work though.

trepidation
Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but could you not have floated into the garage side door, to bring the ground closer to your feet? There was a very noticeable couple steps up. It probably doesn't work like I'm thinking though.
Maybe but the problem is I have no idea what angle you'd need to do that as the cars and building on the right make it difficult. This is probably how it works though. Never made it inside that garage area before and I know for a fact there's a checkpoint right in front of the door at the toy store opening.

This is a case of need 3-4 people trying angles till one works sort of thing.
trepidation
Oh okay. Now that I watched again, it appears you are "drifting" in a set direction once the level loads around you. I thought you were floating around via your own will. If that's the way it works that will indeed be a challenge. You're going to need a nice set up with some pretty clear visual markers to make that trek of that distance.
Quote from TheThrillness:

I'm trying to do this, but every time I get to the part at 3:15 the screen goes black after a second or two of controlling Joel and I die. And I even waited for it to load for 5 minutes.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-09-08 08:26:48 am
TheThrillness: 2015-09-08 08:26:05 am
Once you see Joel go into his floating state, that is when you press pause. You have about 2 seconds after this to do it. The reason the screen went black is because you paused too late and Ellie died at the hotel area and game couldn't spawn her in the new area. The only reason we need to pause is because of NPC's. Sad
I do pause right away, but usually Joel goes flying off into the distance. Maybe it's because I'm on PS4? Also, I had this happen tonight:

I was able to move around and control the camera while the game was paused. I could explore the whole area, but unfortunately as soon as I unpause Ellie falls to her death. Pressing the shoulder buttons causes you to move faster or go up and down. I couldn't find the area where you escape at the end of the chapter but it does get darker when you move past a certain point.
Later, this happened. So close to something special, but once again I can't get Ellie to stay alive. Drifting/waiting edited out:

trepidation
I'm trying to figure out what it could be that allows us to load an interactive area around us sometimes, but sometimes not. I'm probably just grasping at straws, but our only successful oob loads have been (correct me if im wrong) when Joel has been in a "falling" state.

Upon entering a newly loaded room, Joel continues falling and is forced to interact with the floor, continuing the game as usual. Conversely, if Joel is in a suspended state (i.e. swimming), once the world is loaded, he will continue to be under that suspended state until he dies or hits some trigger to return contact with the floor. I don't know what that trigger could be. Maybe a ledge to climb, or a body of water, or (as previously discussed ) his feet getting very close to the ground.

Regrettably, scary, this has nothing to do with keeping ellie alive. I have no idea on that front. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with ps4, because that's the version I also would much rather run.
Also, after watching Thrillness's "small timesaver" video on youtube, I was able to get oob with Ellie:

Yeah that's an oob that Matt found:

He actually gave me the idea to try that since being in crafting state disables collisions.

Also, anyone else seen this before?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Made a tutorial:

Next is to use the same thing for Escape the City. This also makes the Tommy's Dam skip possible now with some thinking. You can swim up into the generator room and stuff.
Using the new swim method I found, we can revisit the Tommy's Dam skip. Current ideas in my video.

trepidation
Super cool finds. I'm a little sad that these obsolete the basement skip, and therfore  the magic bucket. A part of me wants to find the fastest way through the game, but another wishes it wasnt just traveling OoB the whole time, hoping to hit a check point. I understand though, what is fast, is fast.

Great job on bending the game to your will. Given these recent findings, I can only imagine how broken this game will look a year from now.
Quote from Caveberry:
Given these recent findings, I can only imagine how broken this game will look a year from now.

Haha it's probably going to stay like this for awhile as I'm done with this game for now. It has nothing left besides Tommy's Dam which is possible to skip but you'd need NG+ for more air to hit the checkpoint after the tunnel. I posted a pic on Twitter of how far you can get on NG. Besides that nothing else can be skipped without a new technique.
Does anyone have a paste bin for the any% run?
Quote from Jetti:
Does anyone have a paste bin for the any% run?

The speedrun.com page is currently the most active place to ask and see stuff about the game: http://www.speedrun.com/tlou/forum