Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
thethrillness.blogspot.com
So I figured out the above glitch... kinda and it leads to a new skip of about 3 minutes! Smiley

I really need people to try this on the disc based game as my hard drive copy from PSN loads in the last door way too fast like 99.9% of the time. I have no idea how I made it through.

You won't even need to go back to the unload part in the video on disc I don't think. Once on the hard drive version I was 1 second from the door and it loaded in on my face.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-03-04 07:48:19 pm
TheThrillness: 2015-03-04 07:47:57 pm
So I got a much better example up and I now understand the glitch more. I should say that disc didn't affect anything, nor did any patch as my friend was testing with me today on his disc version. I will say that cache loading has some effect.

1. Shoot the left bomb trap from above (anywhere works, get closer if you want).

2. Shoot/throw brick at the next explosive on the ground and make sure the door is not loaded (you must do this) as the trigger is around there. This glitch works because the game doesn't expect you to have shot the explosive from up there but also doesn't expect you to get there that quick since you don't need to stall. It's really weird and sometimes it doesn't work because of loading cache or whatever. It's recommended to try this from a fresh PS3 turn on and from the start of Bill's Town.

3. We need to go back and get sprinting speed from the runner upstairs since the next door loads in just too quickly with normal walking speed. This part could be improved to not need this.

4. Once or twice the game has faded to black and messed the skip up as it unloads Ellie's position and kills her. I think you need to make sure she doesn't go too far into the house so she can make it to loaded collision. You can be super safe and wait in the area at 1:13 and it will never reset but then the infected will spawn. Probably the safest strat for RTA.

5. You can skip the cutscene instantly. I was just testing something for point 6 but it failed.

6. Ellie doesn't load into the room with you and in 5 seconds or so, the game will fade to black and reload from this part. It's simply faster to just restart checkpoint and then the game continues on as normal.

Edit history:
Caveberry: 2015-03-05 02:17:54 pm
trepidation
Wow, cool trick!

I hope you can find it within yourself to finish the run. So far it's outstanding. I also think there is probably much more to find.
This glitch is completely confusing me:

No idea how it works. Tried the basic stuff. It almost looks like a grab extension that allows you to grab up on top of any wall in the game....
trepidation
Interesting. It looks to be camera based. Have you been able to recreate it, or was it just a one off?
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-03-09 09:16:12 am
TheThrillness: 2015-03-09 09:15:52 am
Think I know what happened.

The bucket has some mystical properties. Aiming to the left seems to be the most consistent way of getting on the roof. As you can see, you can halfway get into the elevator and at one point my friend who was also testing this with me got into the basement. I'm sure you can skip the basement with this. I will say this is one of the biggest OoB areas in the game and you could explore for hours and hours. Will say that the PS4 version has bigger draw distance based on the guys video.
trepidation
The magic bucket...hmm. Do you think it's a collision exploit? Any further developments on skipping the basement? I'm very interested, be cause that's my least favorite part of the game.
The name's Sheldor. InfiniteSheldor.
Quote from Caveberry:
The magic bucket...hmm. Do you think it's a collision exploit? Any further developments on skipping the basement? I'm very interested, be cause that's my least favorite part of the game.

I'm definitely interested in running the game now, and these skips look pretty interesting.

Quote from TheThrillness:
The bucket has some mystical properties. Aiming to the left seems to be the most consistent way of getting on the roof. As you can see, you can halfway get into the elevator and at one point my friend who was also testing this with me got into the basement. I'm sure you can skip the basement with this. I will say this is one of the biggest OoB areas in the game and you could explore for hours and hours. Will say that the PS4 version has bigger draw distance based on the guys video.

Are you running on PS3 or PS4? It would be useful to try disc and download on both versions. I've got the disc version for PS3, so I can try that out soon
I never tried anything after that video I uploaded. Probably done with the game anyway. I'm just too depressed to do anything atm.
trepidation
Feel better buddy! I doubt anyone is going to be able to compete with that RNG you got on your previous segments. Maybe RTA runs would be more tolerable?
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-05-17 04:44:22 am
TheThrillness: 2015-05-17 04:43:18 am
So you need PS4 version for this, reason I never found it on my old bucket oob.

Waiting for Freako to tell me if the door being removed at 2:32 gets a checkpoint (usually it does in normal play) and if so we just OoB in Financial District and skip the basement and Financial District fight. Total time saved.... 6 minutes?

Edit: Freako told me he removed the door at 2:32 before and the game continues as normal. Just gotta get OoB in Financial District and maybe Checkpoint is still there.
trepidation
Wait,  what am I missing? How would you remove the door at 2:32?
Quote from Caveberry:
Wait,  what am I missing? How would you remove the door at 2:32?

He has CFW so he removes doors to test sequence breaks. e.g. on the game disc the door is probably called fd-metaldoor.pak or similar. You just delete it from the folder and game never loads it in.

You can do it on OFW to but only certain games work. I did it with Uncharted 3 this week. It's super easy once you know what to do but you probably don't want to do this on your main PS3 as you lose all data. I have an old one I use primarily for testing now.
trepidation
Interesting, that's the first time I've heard of something like that on consoles.

To better look for more OoB areas, do we know what makes the "magic bucket" work? Is it purely a, one off, geometry anomaly, or is something more replicable at play?
Quote from Caveberry:
Is it purely a, one off, geometry anomaly, or is something more replicable at play?

Probably a geometry anomaly.
Hotel glitches and bucket OoB are very interesting.

Speaking about anomalys. Try to stand on a soccer ball and open your backpack on it and see what's gonna happen when Ellie picks it up. I'm 99% sure it should also work on PS4.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-05-19 11:07:45 am
TheThrillness: 2015-05-19 07:47:23 am
Okay this is a time when I REALLY wish I had PS4 version to test this myself. I'm pretty sure the Hotel skip will work. It just requires you to hit another checkpoint.

At 1:35, he just goes further forward but what we should do is go back down to where the ladder originally is and 1. See if ladder prompt works to get the guy kikcing you off or 2. If ladder fails, track back more and a checkpoint SHOULD be active.

I've asked Freako to test it.

Edit: Found a 100% consistent method to get the skip.... on PS3! Cheesy

My idea failed though. No ladder and the door is closed.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-05-19 11:09:45 am
I removed the door at 2:32 by abusing slow cache loading. Smiley

Does the skip now work? Have a look. This was originally just to show a setup video for the other area you can get into but it turned into more.

trepidation
It still won't work though, right? It looks like the cart you use to climb up didn't load in.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-05-19 02:04:49 pm
Quote from Caveberry:
It still won't work though, right? It looks like the cart you use to climb up didn't load in.

Correct. Last hope now is to glitch past the concrete wall or somehow find a way to climb up without the cart. The cart is probably tied to the cutscene to start the fight.

This pause load in has definitely opened up new potential skips though. For example, if you shimmy off ledges in that big high rise building in Outskirts and pause, new and later areas do now load in. Good potential to hit new checkpoints.
trepidation
Interesting. It's just a shame that there are relatively few vertical areas in the game to take advantage of.

Has anyone been able to glitch INTO the basement? While not ideal, skipping something, rather than nothing is still better. It would be a damn shame if this bucket was empty, so to speak. Wink
My friend once got into the basement (forget the position) but obviously you just die. You'll have to get extremely lucky to fall into the basement and hit a checkpoint.

I'm sure this works somewhere in the game for another skip. The issue is finding it.

Kinda pissed about the Financial District skip not working. If you could skip that fight, I'd actually reconsider running this game.
Edit history:
Caveberry: 2015-05-20 11:56:48 pm
trepidation
What I was thinking, was trying to get the checkpoint just past the bloater door. I think the ps4 version, with its' photo mode, will be a great spotting utility. It seems, once the route  is layed out, ps3 can take care of the rest.

We don't have much to go on when running this game. It's all still being discovered. If checkpoints are loaded only sequentially, then almost all big skips like this are lost.

If this clip doesn't work out, I think our best bet is looking for despawns. There have been reports of them happening, with out a way to replicate them. The subway is something I can  get every time, but the others need investigation.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2015-05-21 03:52:33 am
Forum just got spammed...

Anyway,

Quote from Caveberry:
If checkpoints are loaded only sequentially, then almost all big skips like this are lost.

The thing is, we know this to be false if we take the Uncharted games or the Left Behind DLC as an example (heck even the Bill trap skip proves this to be false). Naughty Dog really don't like disabling checkpoints.

What we are experiencing here (imo) is a glitch causing another unexpected glitch to where triggers get despawned. I've asked Freako to remove the kitchen door so the plan is to

1. Glitch out with v1 of my PS3 skip.
2. Go back through the removed kitchen door.
3. Checkpoint should be on the other side.

If that works, we know it's a glitch causing an unexpected glitch. If it fails, ND actually bothered to code in some break protection for this area.

Also this is my current idea for a skip in another chapter (Outskirts). We hit that glitch checkpoint by Pewable that we hit much later by using the pause in method. I must be really close here.