Smiley
Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames

Already got to Shadow Queen yesterday, need to finish the game when I have time.
Quote from NamiNami:
Okay, so I completed Chapter 7 and started doing the first segment of Chapter 8 before editing anything on Chapter 7 until I noticed I was recording the first segment of Chapter 8 over the Bowser segment in Chapter 7. This means I don't have the Bowser segment recorded anywhere, and my last backup save file on the file select screen is right after doing the Bowser segment. So my only chance to have this speedrun officially on SDA is to start over?

I do have a clip where I attempt the Bowser segment for my first time (which isn't very clean but still fast) after which I don't save. Does this help at all? At least I could use this clip on my youtube video instead of having the segment missing completely. Don't know yet what to do =//

There have been instances where this happened by mistake, but where runs have still been accepted.
You should make sure to:
- Redo the segment.
- Make SURE everything is consistent (ie, numbers of coins match up, hearts match up, etc) with the next segment.
- Mention it when submitting to make sure everyone knows of the little mistake.
I think it should be fine.

The worst thing that could happen would be that you'd have to redo from chapter 7 otherwise.
How can I redo the segment when all my save files are saved after the Bowser segment?
Now that is a bigger problem...
You could theoretically just restart and get to that point "casually," but I dunno if that would get accepted.
(You would, of course, resume the speedrun "after that point.")
I'd ask Mike or some other mod.
Edit history:
Surreal: 2012-01-05 09:23:16 pm
dabes
This is one of many reasons why I really disagree with the use of ingame timer for runs on the site. They might be able to excuse it if the later segments have the true final time (though I assume fixing the segment you wanted to redo would make it lower).

I hope things work out for you. This run's been looking great so far.
Edit history:
NamiNami: 2012-01-06 06:29:34 am
Yess I did it! Finished the game with the time showing 6:18. I'll make the video some time this weekend.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7156/ttyd.png

Edit. My boswer segment I have in my run was very perfect but I overwrote the segment video file with the next one so it doesn't exist. So redoing the segment wouldn't lower the total time of my run at all.

And that pic is a waste cause it doesn't tell the game is completed, but whatever >_>
Quote from NamiNami:
Edit. My boswer segment I have in my run was very perfect but I overwrote the segment video file with the next one so it doesn't exist. So redoing the segment wouldn't lower the total time of my run at all.

Hmmm. This mistake obviously introduced a lot of problems. At the very least, how timing should be handled.

Anyway, congrats on finishing the run and let's hope your mistake can be salvaged so it can be published on the site anyway!
I would look forward to watching it.
Obscure games ftw
At least it's the Bowser part, doesn't that have little to no influence from the Mario sections?  So wouldn't the only thing to 'match up' be the timer?  so if you get a run on the Bowser part as good or slightly better and point out the mistake that should be enough to be able to submit.
Edit history:
Rahul: 2012-01-11 10:40:00 pm
A similar mistake occurred on the N64 run of paper mario but the run was still accepted. Inconsistency in the in-game timer shouldn't be a problem.
They'll probably just switch to manual timing.
Considering it's only a Bowser segment you only really need the times to match up like no name said, although you should still report it and it would still need a manual timer because I know PM has hidden seconds on its game timer, pretty sure TTYD does too.
You've been waiting for sooooooo long, I finally uploaded the final Chapter of the speedrun.

Edit history:
André: 2012-01-29 10:31:42 pm
Main Work!!!
Final time about 6:06(6:18 in game time), very nicely done, it's an insane run you did there and I'm glad you finally finish this one thumbsup . So now that you're done with this, what are going to do Cheesy .
Submit the run on SDA? They probably won't accept it though =( Well let it be a casual speedrun then.

I was about to start doing a TAS of this with the same strat but apparently there already is a guy with a very nice Prologue TAS so I don't bother starting at all.
Main Work!!!
Why I wouldn't accept this run, it's well performed, the route is incredibly well planed, everything's good overall, I'm very satisfied with your run and you should be also in my opinion.
Video quality issues are the only ones I can think of, and if so I feel your pain, but it is a great run should at least make the attempt.

Wait... they can TAS PM:TTYD but the 64 version still wont work properly on emmulators? Thats just wrong... Time to look for that video though!
The 64 version does work on emulators, but may have some emulation issues.
Main Work!!!
and also, all of the TAS planned on this said that it makes almost no difference to the current plan, that because of your speedrun Raiker, if you go reed on tasvideo.org, they tell your 100% is totally beast Tongue .
Quote from Raiker Z:
Video quality issues are the only ones I can think of, and if so I feel your pain, but it is a great run should at least make the attempt

Is my quality that bad on youtube? I've made them YV12 while recording cause x264 only works with YV12. Dunno if this causes issues about submitting.

Anyway why I'm wondering if they accept it or not is the missing Bowser segment I talked about earlier...
Well, give it a try. The worst thing that could happen if that they reject it. But then you can always make it a casual run.
There may be some problems due to missing segments and whatnot, but if they can fixed, then what does it matter?
Smiley don't look at me for any quality comments, I think mine is fine on youtube, but it seems it just won't work for SDA, apparently the only quality that I can record in without it lagging in the video doesn't work with anri-chan and leaves stuff out :\

As for the Bowser thing, I'm pretty sure all you need to do is remake a save file that comes within a minute and re-do the segment, you'll have to be more thorough if it ends up showing Mario's level/coins/star points but if it saves after the Bowser segment (which I think it does, or is that only Peach in this game?) then your fine with those.
The Bowser segment ends up showing nothing but the screen whether you like to save your game or not. Seeing how far in the game the segment is it will take me a while to play until that point so I can rerecord it. However, I won't bother doing it if there are other things that don't allow me to submit my run here on SDA.
Sounds like a plan, do a quality test and all that and if that pans out re-record that one segment, since it shouldn't be an issue just make sure the game timer matches up and your set Cheesy
For the PM64 speedrun, the redone segment had a higher time, and apparently that wasn't an issue. Matching up timers would require pretty much redoing the entire speedrun, which is rather ridiculous, so I'd say don't bother with that unless you're forced to, which shouldn't happen.
Quote from TheOthin:
For the PM64 speedrun, the redone segment had a higher time, and apparently that wasn't an issue. Matching up timers would require pretty much redoing the entire speedrun, which is rather ridiculous, so I'd say don't bother with that unless you're forced to, which shouldn't happen.

This is what I was trying to say.
dabes
I am quite curious if there are any updates on the run Nami did.

Considering the amount of improvement over the current run, it would be a shame if your's didn't end up on the site.