Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
I've been playing this casually and I decided I'd try a trick that might be useful in a 100% route:

Before Ch. 6, I went to the secret underground room with a bunch of spanias (orange spinning enemies with spikes on top), and one stationary spunia (an overpowered spania recolor). Those of you familiar with this game should know that the room contains 3 shine sprite blocks floating in the air. Two of them can be reached by simply jumping under them, but the third is higher in the air, so in normal gameplay you can only reach it with the Ultra Boots.

Now, it just so happens that there's a way to get the third shine sprite without the Ultra Boots. I have no video to show how the trick is done since I have no recording devices, so I'll explain this carefully:

First of all, to my knowledge this trick only works if you don't collect either of the easier-to-reach shine sprite blocks, so start off by ignoring them.

Now, jump onto the platform that you take from the spot where the spunia is (the overpowered pink one), and then use the yoshi to flutter to the moving platform between there and where the Defend Plus badge is.

Next, position yourself on the right side of the moving platform, then jump onto the rightmost shine sprite block from there when the moving platform is furthest to the right. This part is the hardest, since the timing is kind of picky. In an actual run, you would likely land on an enemy if you mess this up, since clearing out the room isn't an option (unless the Pit of 100 Trials is done earlier, in which case Bump Attack is a quick solution).

Now, position yourself so that you're on the corner of the shine box you're standing on that's closest to the higher, normally inaccessible shine box.

Finally, wind up a Super Hammer attack (the one where you hold B and rotate the control stick), and hit the higher shine box, and presto! You no longer have to revisit this room.

If someone could record a video of this trick I would be very happy.
Ok guys, I just downloaded Excel.  Thanks for the help.
Wow I ended up playing and finished Chapter 5. I'll have the video on youtube by tomorrow, probably go for Chapter 6 now ^^
Haha, I just started to run this too. Guess I can look forward to seeing your run Smiley
Okay it's uploaded.

Currently have gone through the first segment of chapter 6 once. Dunno If I get frustrated without splitting the segment...
Is it just too much to remember where you're going? I mean, none of the stuff is particularly difficult, but it does say in his notes save if you need to split the segment, and the save block isn't out of the way at all. I'd say split it where Miles says in his notes if it needs to be split (between boarding EE and talking to the conductor about the "sticky yummy threat") and it shouldn't give you too much trouble.

Great segment, the only mistakes I noticed were the first embers battle, getting into the battle with the pink fuzzy, answering wrong the first time getting the skull gem, getting into the embers battle in pirate's grotto twice Sad

Other than that and maybe a few minor mistakes, it was pretty perfect. I know how hard this game is to run, so you have a really great segment here.

I was SO excited that you used the gate handle trick Smiley

Also your peach segment was hilarious in the lab. Also I think you only need to wait 25 seconds even though it says 30, the game leaves a pretty big window for the timing on that. I think.

I'm so excited for your next chapter.
Thanks for the feedback. Those things you mentioned can clearly be seen and they slowed down kinda much in total but like you said this game is pretty hard to run.

For the Chapter 6 basically the segment felt just so long and sort of have to remember so many things that I guess it's better to split. I'm sure though that there is no problem with remembering after I've done the segment for some time.

And yeah that Peach segment is so rushed. I just didn't feel like testing how much is the minimum of cooking the potion and all that. I just wanted the whole Chapter to be finished asap, it was so horrible doing it at certain points.

What do you guys think about the rerecord count shown. Do you have any interest in seing it or is it just me wasting my time counting them...
No I like seeing the re-record count. I ran through the first chapter, and had kept track of how many times i re-did segments. It's interesting.

I have a question though. When you scroll through text, you just mash B right? Not A+B? Is there a specific rhythm to it or you just mash? I ask this because I have a segment uploaded on YouTube and i seem to lose time vs. you because my text was scrolling slower. Considering how much text this game has, it's a pretty important factor.
Video of Sillygramcracker's trick:
Edit history:
NamiNami: 2011-11-14 07:27:14 am
When scrolling through the text I mash A+B alternatively with my both thumbs, I can do that actually very fast. If I've had to redo a segment many times with a lot of dialogues I'll eventually start remembering the lenghts of them and know when to mash and when not. This basically saves my hands not getting tired too fast. It's faster to mash B when the answer to a question can be pressed with it instead of pressing A for the answer. I'm pretty sure you knew this, at times when I need A to answer I mash A with my right index I guess.
So you mash A and B? oh...
Yeah.

If you ever watched Samura1man's speedrun, I'm pretty sure he told me he mashed B only. He's amazing at mashing buttons w/o getting tired.
I find mashing just B faster, unless I'm doing it wrong. Because I have videos of chapter 1 where i Mash A+B and timed it against yours, and i lost time on the text :/

Maybe I'm just bad lol
Good news guys, I finished Chapter 6 yesterday!

I've had some issues with the video encoding though. I hope I'll have it on youtube tomorrow morning. Cant wait for Segment 39 with the Pianta Parlor slots. It'll probably be 2012 December when I get through it if I played this game daily until that point <_<

The Chapter 5 video has 210 views so apparently I'm not alone with this.
Edit history:
NamiNami: 2011-12-27 10:39:20 pm

Takes me long hours to encode the videos, I'm using a 20-euro capture card and pushing its quality to the limits. I still have the original files from recording. One day I will maybe upload 60fps versions downloadable if anyone is interested. Makes viewing the run a lot more enjoyable.
Main Work!!!
Yes only two left Cheesy Cheesy .
Okay so I got to Segment 39 on Miles's route. That means I need to get two 777s on the Pianta Parlor slots. I haven't spent that much time playing in the parlor before, so does anyone know if this is completely random or could there be a rhythm to help you get wins. This is pretty vital considering my progress.

I've been planning to do an alternative route though, meaning that I sell the unnecessary badges I have (Power Smash, Quake Hammer and Mega Rush = 100 coins) and get the other 100 piantas by buying them for 300 coins and the other 100 with a 777.
Main Work!!!
IIRC, it's a random generator as soon as you enter the level.
Quote from AndréLucLévesque:
IIRC, it's a random generator as soon as you enter the level.

No it's not, the only random thing is the starting position.

Each wheel has 8 spots, with 7 being on one of them. IIRC you can watch the wheel as it's moving and see the 7 go around, so you can time it and press A when it'll show up again.
Been gambling for more than an hour and haven't got a single 777. I'm prepared for plan B >_>

One interesting note I found is that you can choose which reel you want to stop with control stick instead of stopping them from left to right. By holding the stick left or right and tapping A I got surprisingly many wins with the Pianta heads and some with the stars. However, I only believe it was luck.
Edit history:
NamiNami: 2012-01-01 06:58:14 pm
NamiNami: 2012-01-01 06:56:57 pm
I downloaded the ISO file on Dolphin and a completed save file and did some research with the slots. Like Miles said, each wheel has 8 spots. Here is a formula of how the wheels look like:

Might be difficult to read but I'll try to explain. On frame 1 all the wheels have 7 on them and it takes 24 frames to spin 1 lap. 25th frame is the same as frame #1 etc. I moved frame-by-frame and checked all the wheels what they have. The tricky part is that the wheel doesn't always stop at 7 even if you pressed A on same frame each wheel. I got several 777s in a row and usually Slots 1 and 2 stopped at 7 when I pressed A button on frame 18,19 or 20 (= x) and slot 3 when pressing on frame 21,22 or 23 (= y). But that didn't happen always; I had to stop Slot 1 on frames 21-23 several times as well...

So anyway there is a 3-frame margin to get a 7 and it's about luck if it is either x or y (in the pic above). Maybe I'm too tired or something but I couldn't keep up with the symbols on TV-screen so this will probably stay as random as it was for me >_<
I started redoing segment 38 and wanted to make it flawless, restarted it many times. On 1 go I had a minor fail and ended up to the parlor before solving Frankie's trouble and got a 777 with 4 piantas =O Then I bought 90 piantas with my coins I had (I forgot that 30 is spent for the first 10 piantas so I couldn't afford buying enough of them) and I was at ~195 piantas and got it to 201 by winning some until I bought 5 Power Rush badges and tried everything to get the missing piantas. Eventually I ran out of money and piantas and couldn't continue anymore. Life of a gambler >_>

The fail I had wasn't that big to restart the whole segment so I was basically very close to bypass the hardest segment of the run. Ohwell, hope to get another 777 soon...
Okay, so I completed Chapter 7 and started doing the first segment of Chapter 8 before editing anything on Chapter 7 until I noticed I was recording the first segment of Chapter 8 over the Bowser segment in Chapter 7. This means I don't have the Bowser segment recorded anywhere, and my last backup save file on the file select screen is right after doing the Bowser segment. So my only chance to have this speedrun officially on SDA is to start over?

I do have a clip where I attempt the Bowser segment for my first time (which isn't very clean but still fast) after which I don't save. Does this help at all? At least I could use this clip on my youtube video instead of having the segment missing completely. Don't know yet what to do =//
consult a speedrun mortician :X  that sucks

how far would that put you back?

one thing you could do is start recording on non-rewritable dvds, so you won't be tempted again.  and it's also possible to do what the metroid prime runners do and use some system of memory cards that keeps every segment as the run progresses.
Edit history:
TheOthin: 2012-01-03 04:55:12 am
TheOthin: 2012-01-03 04:54:49 am
TheOthin: 2012-01-03 04:32:36 am
I think the last run had a similar problem with one of the segments and had to redo one, so it seems like there's a system for getting it to work without redoing the entire run. The Bowser segments are especially inconsequential for the rest of the run, so it shouldn't be an issue. For now, I'd say just keep going and don't worry about it, and ask around to figure out how you can fix it.

Edit: Hm, it doesn't seem to be listed on the page; maybe I'm mixing it up with something else. Regardless, don't give up on this run; I'm sure there's a way to work things out, so just talk to people to find out what.