--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Equinox: 2014-04-21 04:14:22 am
Equinox: 2014-04-21 04:13:30 am
Obsessicus Parrotus
I don't know for certain. Tbh I am not exactly sure what my segmented run will come out too yet because of how many time savers I found on the recent pass through. I can say that this is a short RPG compared to some I have played, so I think a SS may go for like ~5 hours or something of that nature using consistent strategies. To put it in perspective, 1 hour in Dabbit's run was about 50 minutes in mine, but I don't know how far he got before he dropped it.
I figured it would be shorter than most RPG's from that generation. My last playthrough of it ended up being around 9 hours long. That was just casual playing so running it I think the first goal would be right around 5-5:30.
Edit history:
Equinox: 2014-04-21 04:17:12 am
Equinox: 2014-04-21 04:16:59 am
Obsessicus Parrotus
Sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if mine was close to 4 hours. I'm afraid I don't really have much more advice to offer for a SS.
Just PM the SS notes whenever you get a chance. I'll start taking a look and planning ASAP. I imagine it won't be too much different except maybe some minimal grinding and safe strats via healing.
Edit history:
Equinox: 2014-04-21 04:20:14 am
Obsessicus Parrotus
I don't really have any more SS notes lol, most of this was what Dabbit said mixed with some observations with safe control strategies for time comparisons.
Oh lol. Hmm. Well in that case I think the best thing to do would be to wait for your run to be finished. Not having a reference at all for strats would make this fairly difficult. I also have another game I'm going to be working on the next two months or so. This being said I'm going to watch closely for your run. I'm beyond hype to attempt this.
Obsessicus Parrotus
Everything up until around Phantom Evil King is perfect routing, at least to me. Looking back I can't see anything I would change at this point. The skepticism starts in Chapter 5 after Ari's condition is cured because that's the first time that the game doesn't naturally restrict team building (imo). This means it goes from just testing out various ability usage to experimenting with group composition AND ability usage. This results in a lot more to test and just because one group is the fastest in one place doesn't mean another group might make up for it somewhere else. The good news is that I have all of the times tested for Deep Grave Pit, but the problem with Phantom Evil King is that passable attempts are uncommon, which is making it difficult to test things. Vampire Evil King and Beiloune have a lot less to do with team composition though, and I originally skipped back and forth to see if any characters became obsoleted to make my life of testing easier.
I have trifled through everything in this entire thread and taken a TON of notes. It isn't enough to actually start practicing/running though as a lot of it is very vague (with the exception of mechanic stuff). I can see how the biggest issue in general is the urns and PEK. I played through it again semi-casually and PEK simply raped me due to being immune to melee attacks. Keeping Ari alive is the biggest thing for the entire run in general. A few things I was wondering in regards to that. What equipment have you ended up settling on for Ari's final setup? Second, have you done much experimentation with what party to use in a segmented run after chapter 5? I think the safest party for a SS would be Ari, Linda and Rosalyn. Possibly Big Bull due to the absurd amount of HP that Belioune has. It depends on how much grinding a SS run would need.
Edit history:
Equinox: 2014-04-28 05:39:55 am
Equinox: 2014-04-28 05:38:58 am
Equinox: 2014-04-28 05:37:46 am
Equinox: 2014-04-28 05:22:53 am
Obsessicus Parrotus
I apologize for being vague, my main purpose for talking so much was to show that I was continuing to work on the game, not really to share in depth discoveries. Anywho, I am not even trying to record the real run until May 12 because that's when my final semester ends. In the meantime I have been nitpicking PEK and VEK to finalize strats but the entire game is technically routed including The World Library and Beiloune. All the Urn strats haven't changed in a very long time and almost all of my saves are concrete (but that isn't relevant). Let me address your post before bed because I am hella tired lol.

In terms of equipment you won't really ever be able to afford the best for Ari. His final gear setup is caught up between the Mastermold Sword or the Natural Outfit (depending on your preference, and that's assuming that you got a lot of cash from Deep Grave Pit). Otherwise the next best things are the Brand Sword and the Custom-made Wear from Triste. That, from my experience is the best gear that I could afford, but if you did grinding you may be able to get more.

As for the second part...experimenting with groups in Chapter 5 onward is ALL I have been doing for the past 6 months. It's tricky for me because there are a few groups that have close times and I have to push seconds because it's a segmented run. In your case though I would push minutes instead and I think there are less choices to pick from. Linda makes VEK and Beiloune incredibly consistent. I would have thought her mandatory for a SS a long time ago and I still feel that way. That 3rd character is going to require some experimentation that I can't give much insight to though. I am not using Linda because I am resetting 100+ times on PEK and so on to do riskier/faster strats that are NOT viable in a SS.
Obsessicus Parrotus
That was an extremely hellish 2 weeks of school but it's over now. I am currently backing up everything I have on this game to an external hard drive and then I will start recording. This nitpicking at the end has to stop for now, mainly because I am sick of it but I feel I need to record something with the real run atm. I have planned the end out enough that I can do most of the game and not have to change anything major if something is discovered with the last few bosses, which is a "comfort zone" I have been in for a while.
Sweet. Still really looking forward to this!
Obsessicus Parrotus
This first segment is so much harder then the next hour of the run, and it's being a bitch lol. Shaving seconds to reach my target time is very frustrating due to the movement mechanics of the game. As you are probably aware you have the ability to move Ari about a second into the next room before it loads. It only happens when entering an area where you can't rotate the camera, such as a building/room in a town. The lack of visual and audio cues makes it nigh impossible to steer Ari in places where he needs to go multiple directions within that 1-2 second time frame (f$#@ the Wirepuller building).
Obsessicus Parrotus
Got a time on the first segment that was only 10 seconds off so it shouldn't be longer before this part is done. The issue is that there are some dropped frames in my recordings that I am getting concerned about, mainly because this has never happened before. Apparently recording with a progressive resolution is not recommended for my capture device, as it states that interlaced is preferred. I was recording in 720p when the frames were dropped, so I may bump it up to 1080i as that is what I usually record in with no issues. I was mainly just concerned about the file size initially but I can just upload this sucker at the hospital. Grin Gonna have to do a second quality test though probably, well see.
Obsessicus Parrotus
Awww........#@$#... I think my capture device kicked the bucket. I am talking about it in a Quality Test right now. If you are reading this Kekfa it's probably going to be another week before I am able to start, which sucks. I keep getting tons of A/V breaks and the device is recording at like 27 fps or some shit. This is depressing because I got a better time last night on the first segment, but I can't record segments longer than 5 minutes without some screw ups. I was getting excited too!!
Obsessicus Parrotus
Things are just not going well for me with the recordings. I have been experimenting with the setup for filming the real run and it's still suboptimal. So I went back to practicing the later bosses, specifically VEK (As it wasn't heartbreaking if it got messed up). I am afraid I can't even start for another week so until then it's back to the last 3 bosses. One thing is for certain, VEK is a skill based fight that relies on "adapting" as opposed to a strict routine and because of that I have gotten a lot better at him compared to 3 months ago. Still, I can get screwed in the first wave of attacks though but it's not as common as the massacres caused by PEK.
Obsessicus Parrotus
I did a 2 hr test run with my new Hauppage HD-PVR 2 and found it to be more than satisfactory for recording this game. There were no frame drops or A/V breaks which I was extremely happy about and this made me feel safe to record the real run. Unfortunately that same day there were 3 issues that dragged me away from this game and 1 of them was heartbreaking:

1) The PS3 broke:Sad This was the heart shattering issue, but I can get it serviced! I am also getting a new hard drive for it in case that was the problem. It will not boot and the power light transitions from green -> yellow -> red over 5 seconds and then blinks red continuously. Sources say this is an internal hardware issue that may have been caused by overheating.

2) My PC has a strange audio dip every 60 seconds resulting from the Hauppage Software. This is the PC it has nothing to do with the PS3.

3) My PC can't connect to the internet. Don't know why but this issue needs to be resolved for anything to do with speedrunning. All this stuff happened within the same 12 hour time frame.
Obsessicus Parrotus
Alright, this run arises from the dead once more! Got my PS3 back and it's fully repaired and running just fine! I also fixed my PC as well!

The bad news is that I was a noob and didn't backup my saves on the PS3, so I am going to run through the game again to create more. It will be something to do while I get over the flue, and even with it I am amazed I am willing to do pseudo speedrun attempts with these splitting headaches and the absurd coughing. I guess I am just really excited to have everything fixed because these last few weeks have been pretty boring. I still need the saves to experiment a little and the PS3 allows me to create saves at every segment in the run, which as always, is too good NOT to abuse.
Obsessicus Parrotus
My new PS3 broke yesterday! Cry I treated it far better than the last one which lasted all the way from 2006- July 2014. I took great care to monitor the temperature and ventilation in my room this time too.

I think the dead giveaway that something was wrong was when I got it back from SCEA and within a day of playing on this thing the fan kept going to setting 4 (highest setting). It was extremely loud, and it happened even when I just let it sit at the main menu after booting. It was not the same system that I sent to them (different serial number).

I am glad this was on warranty. I think that the dumbass Fedex guy left it out in the sun too long a hot humid day, I will make sure I pick it up at their center this time.

Run is postponed again.
Totally Radical Awesome Game
hows that run comin along :v)
Edit history:
Equinox: 2015-04-03 10:43:15 am
Equinox: 2015-04-03 10:41:15 am
Obsessicus Parrotus
Well, the run is actually completely planned out at this point despite me not working on it right now. The last part just has to be done with what's easiest, it's that simple! Too much over thinking and an overwhelming demand for perfection is what made me quit my last 2 games and I had about done it with this one too. I just need to do with what I had and worry about getting an actual run done before being "perfect." It's too bad that despite wising up to my flaws there was something else getting in the way here that made me stop.

See, I was supposed to do it on a PS3 due the fact that the faster load times impacted the route slightly compared to doing it on a PS2. The problem is that I've had some bad luck issues with overheating. I THOUGHT I could back the saves up so that if I got a different PS3 back from repair I could resume the testing/actual run where I left off, BUT I WAS WRONG! You can't back those saves up across multiple systems. After I found that out I didn't know what to do anymore and I still don't! Apparently my current recording setup can't record PS2 footage either.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Do you have notes for this publicly available? I'm sure someone would want to run it if you don't.
Obsessicus Parrotus
Let me proofread them and I'll post them on here. There's no way it's gonna work anymore for me and I feel horrible about it. I only hope whoever runs it gives me some credit, lol.
Edit history:
Equinox: 2015-05-16 07:48:22 pm
Obsessicus Parrotus
Here are the notes, as well as the best dungeon maps that have ever been made for this game. I'm extremely sorry about the wait, but I've been busy with college this past month. I don't know if people just really want a run of this game to be made, or somebody wants to do it themselves, or the community is just concerned with the work I've done on this game being lost as an etiquette issue, but there has been some attention about this run as of late.

I've thought about picking the run back up now that I've figured out a way to back PS2 saves up via the Playstation Plus cloud saves, which also solves my recording issue, but I don't really know if I'm up for it anymore. I'll see how this plays out first. If nobody tries to run it within 2 months or so I'll probably try again. Also, I suffer from pretty traumatic OCD, which has heavily impacted my ability to find time to work on this. (Yea I know that's why the notes are so organized go ahead and laugh)

The notes are incredibly detailed and color coded. There will be leveling up in the final dungeon, and no matter how you slice it Vampire Evil King won't be very clean. I'd also like to mention that these notes are geared towards doing this run on PS3, which has faster load times. If somebody plans to do this on a PS2, then the routing will most likely change a little bit, so be aware of that. Also, the Linda fast kill glitch seems to only be present on the PS3 as well.
Obsessicus Parrotus
EDIT: Gah! I thought I went over these notes a month ago, but I didn't so I just uploaded what I had. This is a cleaner version. My apologies! I made it more like a walkthrough. If you have any questions, just ask.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Cool. Thank you very much.