--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
bebeDesigner: 2010-10-24 11:31:50 am
bebeDesigner: 2010-10-24 11:31:40 am
OFF i guess after a new generation the title will be half life in half a second and you'll find out how to grenade boost from the first guard to xen... Cheesy
if it is finished that will be the best speedrun we've ever seen.
Ad infinitum
Sick clips quadrazid! Good luck all of those that are involved in this project. I'm really looking forward to seeing this run!
XXY
Crazy good clips, quad.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
So I always wondered if we'd ever see the sv_maxvelocity variable become relevant.  I no longer wonder this anymore.  Fortunately valve made it quite high, 2000, but for this ramp boost on the hunted level it becomes a hindrance.  You need about 2000 speed to ramp boost high enough to get over the wall, but that requires going up the ramp at it's steepest angle which takes you straight into the building, losing virtually all speed and no chance of making over to the wall.  However, if you can go above 2000 speed you could go up the ramp at a slight angle and you would get enough height as well as keep some speed after hitting the building and thus potentially be able to make it over the wall.

So I did some testing with sv_maxvelocity and found the game integrates this variable by running a check every 1s, independent of framerate, to see if the player speed is greater than 2000, if it is then it sets your speed to 2000.  So this means you can have speed higher than 2000 for up to 1s which is enough time to do the ramp slide.

Getting over 2000 speed and hitting the ramp at the right angle is no easy task though, the most speed you can make the turn with is about 1100 and a full gb adds 1000, so 2100 speed about the most you can hope for, which would make your speed after hitting the building about 640, which may be just enough to make it to the wall.
So Spider-Waffle , your Half-Life 1 in half an hour is my favourite run , im know kreedzing for 2 years in Counter-Strike and there is a well-known technique called Strafing (Press A and move Mouse to Left , Press D and move Mouse to right ... and so on) , it helps you to jump farther and to increase your bunnyhopspeed , so i ask myself , why do you dont use strafing ? It makes you so much faster especially when you can get till 2000 Maxspeed still you get stopped by the engine.
I know your the Half-Life 1 Speedrun King , so can you tell me why you dont use it , i dont have Half-Life myself , but you would sure shave ... like ... i dont know ... 45 secs or so only of being ... faster !
Ehm, well... he does infact use it... a lot. Are you a poorly disguised troll or just not paying attention to your favorite speedrun?
XXY
I have a question. How many people will be involved with this run at one time? Two or three?
Edit history:
rayvex: 2010-11-04 05:06:56 pm
hi
Quote from slYnki:
I have a question. How many people will be involved with this run at one time? Two or three?

Spider and Quad, maybe me if I have time / mood.
Then theres rofi and maverick although im not sure if they will participate in the actual run or if they're just helping with the route.

But I guess its most likely going to be 3-5.

Quote from Cresco:
So Spider-Waffle , your Half-Life 1 in half an hour is my favourite run , im know kreedzing for 2 years in Counter-Strike and there is a well-known technique called Strafing (Press A and move Mouse to Left , Press D and move Mouse to right ... and so on) , it helps you to jump farther and to increase your bunnyhopspeed , so i ask myself , why do you dont use strafing ? It makes you so much faster especially when you can get till 2000 Maxspeed still you get stopped by the engine.
I know your the Half-Life 1 Speedrun King , so can you tell me why you dont use it , i dont have Half-Life myself , but you would sure shave ... like ... i dont know ... 45 secs or so only of being ... faster !

uhm you sure you're kreedzing for 2 years?
Spider is actually strafing, its the basic part of bunnyhop and if he didn't strafe, he wouldn't reach that high speeds so I really dont get what youre on about.

Also you might want to check out this:

thumbsup
these guys were the flick on my screen when i was trying to reach the next pad. Cheesy
XXY
That's nuts, Devil. And quad, Spider and possibly you, hmm? Sounds sick. I really hope you guys go through with this and finish this. I want to see this run so badly.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
I've got new plans for the hunted level; I gave up on going straight over the high wall from the slope boost, turning sharp enough couldn't sustain speed over 1050, just can't quite get the angle and the speed.  However, I've found a faster way, slope boosting to go over the left, lower wall, then using the save/load fast fire trick to destroy wall while going at 1100 speed.  The catch is that destroying the wall isn't that easy, it may require getting the crossbow which takes about 1.5s, it can potentially save .5s when the destroying the headcrab glass, that is if that's necessary.  Need to see if it isn't possible to get the scientist to behave like in my run and stop in the intersection without destroying the glass.  I could never get the scientist to run through there so if other people want to give it a try that could help.  Destroying the wall without crossbow will certainly cost at least .5s, that is if it's even possible at 1100.
XXY
Just so you know, Spider. There is a very, very small number of people following this project that actually knows what all that means. If you want to update everyone on progress, and please do, you should probably just say stuff like, "we're on this level and it's 15 seconds faster than it is in my run", or "we found a new trick in this level!" and leave the technical babble to discussions with your partners. When the run is finished, no one is going to care that you are sustaining 1100 speed at a certain point. All they're going to care about is, "that trick looked AWESOME!" That being said, have you guys started running yet?
I disagree. Having technical background on awesome tricks is awesome. Please continue.
Edit history:
corey: 2010-11-06 09:30:49 pm
corey: 2010-11-05 11:47:36 pm
you're both wrong; we don't want progress updates in the form of paragraphs of words, we want them in the form of youtube videos
from red to blue
you're all dumb. the runners choose what stuff to say.
Quote from slYnki:
If you want to update everyone on progress, and please do, you should probably just say stuff like, "we're on this level and it's 15 seconds faster than it is in my run", or "we found a new trick in this level!" and leave the technical babble to discussions with your partners.

You're assuming that SW is using this thread as a way of letting people see what's going on and not just as a way of communicating with his partners. Usually runners use planning threads for both purposes at once.

Quote from betich:
I disagree. Having technical background on awesome tricks is awesome. Please continue.

I also generally like seeing the technical background to runs, and don't think speedrun viewers are generally the slackjawed morons that slYnki portrays them as, but SW's way of explaining stuff is usually far from clear to people who aren't either HL runners or closely following HL speedrunning. I don't know whether he realises this or cares.
XXY
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Usually runners use planning threads for both purposes at once.

True.

Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
don't think speedrun viewers are generally the slackjawed morons that slYnki portrays them as

Mhmm, because that's exactly what I said.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Well I was thinking, why not do the fast weapon fire trick on the other barrier you have to break, it only has 100 more hp.  This would make getting the xbow worth it.  Now I'm trying to come up with a way to preserve some speed while destroying it.  It's a shame that explosives seem to do half damage to the entity.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
We haven't started running yet, still planning.
Svart Lyser Tronen
the 4:3 sized clips is performed by rofi and spider-waffle

So I've found a new place to use the pushtriggerglitch at the end of Blast Pit, saving roughly about 6s.
Ducking very rapidly making you touch the pushtrigger very often. Using duckloop script at high fps tricks the engine and you get extreme acceleration.
Since we couldn't affoard the damage I got in the toxic, SW came up with an idea to grab some AP for the upcoming electric rails as well.

I also found that you accelerate objects faster at high fps. Less time to reach speed and less distance to push object. As an example check the On A Rail boost which is done at 1000fps.
The other clip from same place is demonstrating that you can get infinite ammo from dying grunts ^_^

The selfgauss clip by the cliffside is done by rofi, thats right, the CR dude.
You can also see Spider skip barney completely at the infinite-health-door map.

Topic has changed again, awesome!
Edit history:
slYnki: 2010-11-13 01:23:42 pm
XXY
Quality clips. The boost off the switch in Blast Pit surprised me. I was always curious about getting the hazard suit in that fashion, and using the toxic waste in Blast Pit for that purpose. When you grab the hazard suit, I imagine the second player can't just proceed through the door Barney is at? At least he could hold the door open in that room ^_^

Getting the marine to open the door Barney usually opens was slick. Are you guys planning to use the infinite health door at all?
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2010-11-13 06:47:23 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Both the doors Barney normally opens are ihd, and the only 2 in all of HL, we'll use the second one, why we need to gib that grunt.  Also, there's only going to be one person running at a time, this is not a multi-player run.
Edit history:
slYnki: 2010-11-14 01:39:39 am
slYnki: 2010-11-14 01:39:36 am
slYnki: 2010-11-14 01:39:35 am
XXY
Ohhh, I see. I thought it was going to be two people running at the same time. My mistake. I was going to suggest some little tricks that could potentially be possible with two people, but oh well. I had no idea that the second door Barney opens is an infinite health door as well. Guess I never paid much attention to that door since I always just used the first door for tricking purposes. Very clever, gents. Jesus, that definitely opens up a few tricks. Depending on how long you stay wedged in the thing, Interloper wouldn't even be fair. Two mortors and you're straight into the teleporter at the top. Now that there's only one person running at a time, I'm very interested to see the tau route you guys take to incorporate some of these tricks.

Anyhow, I imagine you guys will or already have looked into all of this, but I remember thinking of a few tricks awhile back that could maybe work. My copy of Half-Life doesn't work on my machine, so I never tested any of this thoroughly, but they may be stuff to look in to.

- For the beginning of Office Complex, I always wondered if you could skip killing the power and just object boost straight through. I'm not positive if that area is an insta-kill, or if there's a little "blink" that's just long enough for you to get through unharmed.

- Just before the elevator leading towards We've Got Hostiles, a zombie breaks the wall, and there's grenades inside there. I was curious if it would be worth it to snatch those grenades and maybe use them on the scientist so he runs straight for the door instead of you having to wait for the little skip in his dialog. If not that, I remember he would freeze when you went back into the loadzone in the elevator. Maybe shooting him in the foot with the pistol would make him run to the door? I dunno.

- For Blast Pit, I remember acxy no clipped slightly into the switch that activates the rocket engine. I always wondered if that could ever be done legitly. I had an idea a long time ago of leading a zombie in there and having him whack you so your screen shifts off to the side, and see if that would do anything, but I never tested it.

That's all I can think of for now. I imagine the Blast Pit trick isn't possible, so I'm very excited to see your route in that level. I'm also very interested to see this new test chamber trick. I remember reading awhile back that you guys found a way to skip it entirely, or were you just talking about standing on top of the light instead of pushing the scientist into the door?
Hi ^_^
Quote:
- For the beginning of Office Complex, I always wondered if you could skip killing the power and just object boost straight through. I'm not positive if that area is an insta-kill, or if there's a little "blink" that's just long enough for you to get through unharm

It is possible to bypass but loses quite some health
XXY
Nice job, Shadow. But with all this fiddling quad and friends are doing with high fps to trick the game and what have you, perhaps there's a way to get through it unharmed. Object boost in the first idea that came to mind, but I'm not sure if there's any useful objects to boost off of. I was thinking you could take a crate from the opposite side of the broken bridge in the area before and boost it and yourself over, but I'm pretty sure it would disappear, even if you put it inside the elevator. Heh, maybe it's as simple as building up some speed in that corridor and blasting through Cheesy