--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
rayvex: 2010-09-13 02:56:45 pm
rayvex: 2010-09-13 02:55:40 pm
hi
On a side note about Blast Pit. I think we should take the grenades right before the big ventilator room so that we have full 10 nades. Takes 1 second to collect them and I've got a plan for the upcoming room that requires 3 nades.

1. When landing on the bottom platform, throw a nade straight up and activate the button afterwards. Nade will be boosted up by push trigger immediately after activating the big ventilator.

2. If timed correctly, the nade will destroy most of the wooden planks AND the grill @ vent entrance.
Then right after leaving the ladder, start spinning rightwards to gain speed (note that you gain MUCH faster speed with 250 fps).
Halfway up, trigger a 2nd nade and hold it.

3. Then, before entering the vent, release the nade at some point. The timing has to be perfect in all conditions (the right time to trigger the nade; the duration that youre holding the nade; the time the nade is being released). If done correctly I think, the nade will destroy the next grill without taking any damage. Anyway, after the nade has been released, enter the vent with full speed that we got from the air-spin.

4. Right after releasing the 2nd nade, we immediately start triggering the next one that we will use to break down the wooden barrier.

Now if done correctly with all perfect timing etc. it might be possible to keep the whole speed up until the loading zone, maybe even to the oxygen button room if we manage to maintain some speed @ last corner of the vent (right after loading zone) which is a pretty tight one.

Heres a video I made about entering the vent @ full speed, so you know what im talking about in point 3.

http://up.k10x.net/xkzjvniflrkjj/vent.mp4

Note that this only shows how to enter the vent and keep the speed. Video doesnt show all the grenade timing as it's a pain in the ass and would only bother doing it for the final run.

Besides this trick, we will have some spare nades left as we'd stock up right before the ventilator room. So this leaves some spare nades for maybe upcoming tricks that we havent talked about (we will need some extra nades anyway compared to the current run, i.e. Blast Pit Generator room and maybe alien slaves @ On A Rail).
Hail Discordia!
Damn, you're one crazy bastard. o_0
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2010-09-13 05:24:29 pm
Spider-Waffle: 2010-09-13 05:21:45 pm
Spider-Waffle: 2010-09-13 05:20:46 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
I was planning the same thing, also an earlier time saver I found will give us 3 extra grenades.  I was having a hard time on WON getting a grenade to blow up the first set of boards, it seems to dissapear  once it's close if you throw it right away, I was able to blow them by waiting until you are actually going up too.  Maybe it's just a WON thing.  The best version to play on is steam 47 like quad said, but we still need someone to fix the freeze bug.

I am a bit skeptical that you can blow up the last set of boards in time if you're keeping speed since you don't get to prime until you enter the vent.  This seems like a good project you could work on though and let us know what you're able to do.  You could also see what your able to do with that button, I think the fastest way would be to double duck fall off the ledge, then jb by the button, push it, and then keep speed and land by lander after jb, getting the right angle to keep your speed and land by ladder while still being able to push the button is tricky though, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.
If you pause the game directly after a load, wait a few seconds until the freeze bug has past, you can unpause the game and continue playing normally. Although the pause period will be recorded in the demo so either one has to cut them out in post, or if possible remove the pauses from the demo files directly.

I tried this with binding pause to a mouse button, and in that case you can quite fluently pause and unpause while playing.
hi
Quote from Spider-Waffle:
I was planning the same thing, also an earlier time saver I found will give us 3 extra grenades.  I was having a hard time on WON getting a grenade to blow up the first set of boards, it seems to dissapear  once it's close if you throw it right away, I was able to blow them by waiting until you are actually going up too.  Maybe it's just a WON thing.  The best version to play on is steam 47 like quad said, but we still need someone to fix the freeze bug.

I am a bit skeptical that you can blow up the last set of boards in time if you're keeping speed since you don't get to prime until you enter the vent.  This seems like a good project you could work on though and let us know what you're able to do.  You could also see what your able to do with that button, I think the fastest way would be to double duck fall off the ledge, then jb by the button, push it, and then keep speed and land by lander after jb, getting the right angle to keep your speed and land by ladder while still being able to push the button is tricky though, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

yeah the nade also disappears for me most of times. But its possible with proper timing, pretty hard though. But with your jb-button-to-ladder way we will most likely throw it when going upwards anyway.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2010-09-14 04:17:35 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
it would be better to take out the next obstruction with nade though, and if you release first one on the way up you won't be able to prime the next one long enough.  Maybe there's a way to throw it while you're pushing the button, could use script to look up for 1 frame, and we might start a new segment right there.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Anyone know anything about this, could be useful if it's not fake:

I can't watch it, not available in my country because of Sony Music... (Sweden)
Quote from eV1Te:

I can't watch it, not available in my country because of Sony Music... (Sweden)

You can use this and paste the url. Smiley

http://hidemyass.com/youtube-proxy/
Edit history:
xsite: 2010-09-17 11:19:49 pm
xsite: 2010-09-17 11:19:32 pm

There were multiple ways of boosting through walls or ceilings in CS, but it always required 2 or more people. The method was something along the lines of 2 players standing on top of each other, and spamming jump and crouch.
Edit history:
quadrazid: 2010-09-18 03:54:07 am
quadrazid: 2010-09-18 03:18:05 am
Svart Lyser Tronen
About rayvex bigvent plans. It's possible to use other weapons while cooking grenades.
So I think we should take out the grill with shotgun while triggering the nade.
So it would look just like rayvex video; http://up.k10x.net/xkzjvniflrkjj/vent.mp4 but pull the nade trigger before shooting the grill with sg, then switch back to grenade and throw. Still requires extreme timing tho.
Maybe its possible to keep the speed all way through the loading, especially if we manage to hide the nade behind the barrier like rayvex did in the video. But if not, it's still faster than waiting for a completely fresh nade.

bind mouse1 disconnect Grin
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2010-09-19 10:35:09 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
I know about the trick in CS where you can boost through ceilings by unducking while someone else is under you, I've never seen it through walls though.  I've tried to do this in HL with a snark but no success other than getting stuck in the ceiling on the map with the bounce pad where I snark boost in the 30 minute run and tripmine boost in the SS run; you can get stuck in the invisible ceiling outside every time you duck snark boost up high enough.  Maybe it works if the floor is thin enough.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2010-09-19 10:56:09 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
So I looked though the whole game and didn't see any good places to snark boost through ceilings after Q ethics (I think this is the first place you can get snarks)  The only places where I think it could be useful and the floor is possibly thin enough would be in residue processing by going into the pipes from underneath, you could maybe do it with a head crab but I had no success.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
So I was thinking that there might be more levels with useful change level ents.  Basically any level where the level normally changes via a way that doesn't involve you touching a change level ent.  It seems it is required that there still be a change level ent somewhere on the map that will change the level if you touch it.  So there's a few other levels like this, just need to look at them in a level editor.
@Spiderwaffle

And what exactly does that mean? Smiley Could somebody please explain it to a Newbie like me?
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
In the map, there is a small point the map creator needs to put in that will trigger a map change. Sometimes, this is a trigger, so you have to walk into it and the map will change. However, sometimes the map maker will want the map to change on something happening, maybe a door closing or something. In this case, they still need to make an entity to change the level, and put it somewhere in the map. It's not a trigger, but it's still there.

Spider-Waffle has found that if you touch this entity, it will change the level, even if it isn't a trigger. So if we're waiting for some event to happen in a map before the map changes, then instead we can just touch this trigger and have the map changed. I'm not sure if this applies in the original half life, but in half life: source, this is the same, and in the test chamber near the start of the game, very high up, there is the map change entity, and if you manage to jump up to it, you can change the level, even before anything has actually happened in the chamber.

Hope that covered it.
Thank you, Inexistence. Your explanation made it totally clear for me. I'm looking forward to reading about any further progress! thumbsup
Don't think!  feeeeeal
We really need help fixing the freeze bug in steam.  Mav believes it might be able to be fixed with a mod, we could make this a new version to hlspbunny.  We can also use decrypters to look at the assembly code and figure out why the freeze bug happens and perhaps come up with a fix after learning more about it.
Edit history:
weak-ling: 2010-09-26 07:43:41 pm
Putting aside my assumption that this is way harder to do, if the freeze bug could be fixed by a mod for steam-hl, how would that be better (or more "SDA-legal") than uncapping the fps in hl1110?
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Well I tried to argue that it isn't any better, but SDA doesn't care, they do however allow hlspb and updates to the mods.  Also the fps fix messed up NPC models, they wouldn't update to the NPC's current location.  Using Steam would also let us record demos across level transitions.
Can someone please provide instructions how to build hlspbunny from the source?

Has there been any previous investigations into the bug?

Is the length of the freeze a constant? If it is variable, does it seem to depend on anything (level, settings, processing power, ...)? Does it happen 100% of the time or are there exceptions? Does it happen only when loading a new map via leveltransition or also when loading e.g. via console? The freeze is represented in the demo? Anyone ever recorded a demo containing the freeze and then analyzed the demo to see what's happening? During the freeze you can look around, but not move? What else continues to happen during the freeze, and what is paused?

Who is Mav and on what does he base his belief that this is fixable with a mod?
sda loyalist
Stop editing the damn game.

This reminds me of the Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones run that was put up... the runner was complaining that there was a certain point in the game that would always crash under certain conditions (i.e. when playing single segment). He managed to circumvent the freeze by killing himself just before it.

Notice he didn't try recompiling the game or anything.
Edit history:
RandomEngy: 2010-09-27 06:10:33 pm
A Crab
So uh, just FYI the rules are undergoing a revision and it looks like they will disallow all scripting. It may not be a good use of time to update HLSP bunny to get in under an SDA technicality if it's going to be rejected anyway.

By the way, I don't agree with the decision. I think bhop scripts should certainly be allowed at the very least. Just letting you know how things are shaking out.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
So I looked through all the maps with potential change level ents, unfortunately they all have touch to trigger removed so you can't use them just by touching them, only using the normal sequence works.  The TC one is the only exception, how lucky : ).
So I looked through all the maps with potential change level ents, unfortunately they all have touch to trigger removed so you can't use them just by touching them, only using the normal sequence works.  The TC one is the only exception, how lucky : ).

How does that actually work?