Sad
page  <- 123456789101112131415 -> <- 1 .. 9 .. 15 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Smörgåsbord
I managed to get a locked door to disappear , could this be something sueful in a speedrun?

http://sv.twitch.tv/svenne1138/b/335589811
I remember reading somewhere or other that if you take a red jar that drops from a statue when there's a key there too, leave & come back, the key will despawn. I've never really tried it because it didn't sound useful, but perhaps the same is true for doors?
Learning to Stream
I;m hoping someone will help me here... what is with the P Bags? I mean sometimes it seems it's like right there.. or just a bit away... and they're ignored. Then near the end, one was actively hunted out. Is there a method to this madness?
Willing to teach you the impossible
The P Bags are used to keep experience at a specific amount. Notice at the end of every palace that when the crystal is used that all the experience is used towards the level that requires the most experience. Each palace has a route, and within that route (given the category) there are enemies that are killed and some that are skipped. Knowing the exact amount of experience that is needed for the maximum amount of experience gained from crystals. So if a P Bag is not needed to put the experience at the proper number, it can be skipped as it would be a waist of time being that it wont really count towards much of anything, due to the crystal experience. At the start of the game, we are really pushing out experience routing to the max to be sure we have the proper amount of experience at specific times.

If I just confused you more, Im sorry.
Smörgåsbord
News from Team Ludendi: Pro_JN just got 1:15:03ish on the SDA 100% No Death category! (Solairflaire's old time was 1:15:22) So that would be a fitting category for the Halloween Marathon, don't you think?

Video: http://sv.twitch.tv/pro_jn/c/1707170 Take It To The Print

See, I never bet on the wrong horse! Wink You know who you are!

Edit: Twitch is funky, the highlight got no sound: watch the last 1:20:00 of the full stream fors ound: http://sv.twitch.tv/pro_jn/b/336233228
Learning to Stream
Quote from Heidrage:
The P Bags are used to keep experience at a specific amount. Notice at the end of every palace that when the crystal is used that all the experience is used towards the level that requires the most experience. Each palace has a route, and within that route (given the category) there are enemies that are killed and some that are skipped. Knowing the exact amount of experience that is needed for the maximum amount of experience gained from crystals. So if a P Bag is not needed to put the experience at the proper number, it can be skipped as it would be a waist of time being that it wont really count towards much of anything, due to the crystal experience. At the start of the game, we are really pushing out experience routing to the max to be sure we have the proper amount of experience at specific times.

If I just confused you more, Im sorry.

Oh no, that does make sense and I kinda thought so... but it seemed a bit odd in some cases. Makes me wonder if there is a way to take them and replace that with 1 less enemy to deal with, if it's on the way. Like enemy is usually 50.. gives a PBag worth 100 [Is this possible?] and it drops in an easy manner... then can save killing another 50 enemy... or is there no real wriggle room at this point in planning?
Usually, the time to kill the enemy is much shorter than getting the P bag. But I guess it would come down to specific situations or routes.
HELLO!
P bag collecting usually involves stopping and backing up to grab it. Killing enemies, particularly enemies you one shot or jackhammer, does not.
Big congrats to Pro_JN!!! Hope his thumb is healing well thumbsup
Not going to school today
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:
And don't worry tmont, I put in a little something for you at 1:03.18 in the video Wink (I was desperate for a blue magic potion drop after that giant skull depleted my magic). I even did a wrong turn in the 4th palace this time.

Thanks, buddy. It's not a Zelda II run unless somebody does something stupid in the Great Palace. Smiley

I've always wondered this: what's your strategy when fighting Dark Link? Is there a strategy, or is it just mostly luck? I would just close my eyes and mash B and hope he ran into my sword, but I'm wondering if there's a better way.
Dark Link strategy has room for improvement I think, but I try to time the sword hit when he's running towards me, to make it connect at the furthest possible distance from Link. You want to avoid those exchanges of sword slashing that often occurs if Dark Link gets too close to Link.
If you're working on a Dark Link strategy that doesn't involve hiding in the corner and waiting for him to come to you, please note he has an invulnerability period of ~1 second after every hit
Smörgåsbord
So I and some others in the Zelda community will start using this: http://redcandle.us/ to keep a track on how things are going in the Zelda 2 world! If I am not mistaken, PresJPolk wants us to combine all knowladge into that site, Pro_JN likes the idea and is all for it!

HELLO!
Heh, thanks. Wasn't going to self-promote before I felt it was ready, but now that you uncorked it... Smiley

I'm wide open to suggestions on what to put there. For Zelda 2 in particular, since that's this thread, I want to include:

1) Maps, both overworld and dungeon.  I have some dungeon maps I like, simple ones that show connectivity, keys, doors, items.  They're speed run friendly but they could be friendlier, and include XP available.

2) Combat tactics, with button pressing instructions and video of it working right.  I can't do them all though so this I'll need help on.

3) Routes.  Not just pro routes, but also SRL-good routes.  And even suggestions for total beginners at Zelda 2 racing.

4) Records, with videos where available.I've been doing my best to piece together what the records are from threads, Twitch, and SDA, but I'm happy to be corrected on things I've missed.

5) Goals for beginners.

6) Scheduled races

Basically I'd love the site to be a one stop place for someone who's interested in Zelda 2 racing and speed running, to learn how to do it and get into it.  It's Zelda evangelism.

So PM me here if there's stuff that needs fixed, or added, please. Smiley
Smörgåsbord
News from Team Ludendi: Pro_JN just beat his record on 100%! 1:14:21 @ http://sv.twitch.tv/pro_jn/b/338259709

I don't know if he is interested in submitting the run to sda.
If you are talking ER, SDA does not accept them.
Smörgåsbord
No, I'm talking SDA 100%, he beat Solairflaires run on SDA a couple of weeks ago, now he beat himself.
1:24:21 is much slower than 1:15:22 imo...
HELLO!
It's 1:14:21.  Did Svenne typo? Smiley
He be so eager to talk about new times that he messes up some of the info. We need to give him crap when we can Wink
Smörgåsbord
True, I need to be less eager! Wink And we wouldin't want you to have to watch the records to know the times now would we! XD
Crossposting relevant info for you guys:

Speed is in some imaginary unit or other.

Link's Max walking speed: 24
Recoil from stabbing wall speed: 12
Recoil from stabbing enemy speed: 5
Recoil from taking damage speed: 13

After stabbing recoil, speed is set to 0 unless you are in the air. After Damage recoil, nothing special happens. You can move while recoiling from an attack, but not a hit.

Normal acceleration: 1 per frame (hence, from a standstill, stabbing something behind you and jumping immediately will accelerate you faster, recoiling from damage doesn't work since you are set to 13 speed through the whole animation. It is always preferable to jump immediately after stabbing something, from the point of view of Link's speed, including accidentally stabbing a wall in front of you.)

There are two types of overworld encounter spawns that can happen: One's based on steps, one on time. (You never get a step-based encounter in northwest hyrule)

The overworld random encounter timer always counts down, even in a side scrolling area. When it reaches 0, enemies spawn. If you are on a path, it stays at 0 until you step on terrain that can spawn enemies.

Resets to 8 ticks upon exiting a side scrolling area. If you are standing on different overworld terrain when it reaches 0, it resets to different times.

Grass, Swamp 32 Ticks
Desert, Forest 24 Ticks
Graveyard 9 Ticks
Lava 3 Ticks

First tick seems to be variable, every other tick takes 21 frames. (3 Ticks is approx. 1 second) - Only where you are standing when the counter is set from 0 affects the time. Moving to a new terrain has no effect once the timer is counting.

Overworld step counter for random encounters counts up from 1 to 255, increasing by 16 each step. When it rolls over 255 it resets to 1 and monsters spawn. This means every 16 steps there will be an encounter spawn. Terrain does not affect steps-- the path also counts as a step, so if the 16th step is on a path, no encounter will spawn for that cycle. Resets to 1 upon exiting a side scrolling area.
Neat post. I always wanted to know what controls the over world spawn.
Hey, if anyone practices this game on emulator, could you memory watch $065F while you play

That seems to be the address linked to the first red jar on death valley, and if we could figure out why it despawns seemingly randomly, that would be turbo helpful. It looks like it should be at 255 until the jar is taken (then it turns to 223). I've only taken a cursory glance, but it seems like any change to that number under any circumstance is useful info.
HELLO!
Svenne's usually the one to get to these, but I'll do it this time.

The Any% crown has passed.  http://www.twitch.tv/pro_jn/c/1771916

1:04:21 by pro_jn