--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
andyperfect: 2014-07-28 11:51:51 pm
andyperfect: 2014-07-28 02:54:27 pm
I am really excited that this is happening. Thanks to everyone that has driven this initiative forward.

There are an abundance of name suggestions and ideas that sound great that have already been mentioned. I don't really have any additional ideas to throw into the pot but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing since there are so many to choose from already.

As for charities, I'm partial to Intermountain Primary Children's Hospital or National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). I don't have any strong reasons for voting for those other than both causes hold a special place in my heart.
Edit history:
magicfreak500: 2014-07-28 03:16:07 pm
It's great there this is happening. I too find that the Limit Break for a name is great. As for the charity I say anything but jdrf might be a wiser choice cause I think if its jdrf then the possibility people saying that its a rip off of C4L or something else. Though I do agree with one thing the one in SLC might be the best choice sinces its local and essentia and brossentia be able to work close with them since they are there.
Quote from AlecK47:
"Phoenix Rising" is the title of an Annihilator (Canadian thrash/shred metal band) ballad, so although I very much approve - as it's a good song, and I like the band a great deal - there may actually be a legal issue there.  I wouldn't say it's likely, but it's there, I suppose.

Still, keep the suggestions coming!

There would be no legal problems using the name... unless of course you were planning to do a cover of their song, then you would have to owe them royalties Wink

I do like the sound of Phoenix Rising though, it does give the impression of rebirth... which this is event would be in a fashion.
Just chiming in to add how excited I am to be a part of this, and how excited I am about the response so far. Really looking forward to putting on an awesome event next year!
dat jerk
In RPGs you do a lot of walking. How the heck am I going to put that in the name? .....
Quote from Augora:
In RPGs you do a lot of walking. How the heck am I going to put that in the name? .....

The Epic Walk for Fat Moniez?
Gotta Go Fast!
Quote from Vulajin:
Just chiming in to add how excited I am to be a part of this, and how excited I am about the response so far. Really looking forward to putting on an awesome event next year!
I'm just gonna go ahead and echo this. Really thrilled to be a part of this.

Quote from Augora:
You run and walk. First thing that popped into my head was "Power Walker", anyone who's seen puwexil's IoG runs should get that one. Tongue
Quote from Driscollad:
could always name the group, more than the charity marathon. Something like "Hit Point Squad" or such. Then playful subtitles could accent the year's charity

Hit Point Squad Presents: yadda yadda

I thought of something like a group name when I read the thread earlier at work (dont worry I used my phone not company internet haha). With the original name idea, I started thinking "The Limit Breakers Marathon" or any variety of yadda yadda
dat jerk
After a little bit of thinking, I came up with "The Journey of Hope" or "The Journey towards Hope". It was something to do with walking.
Quote from Augora:
"The Journey of Hope"

thumbsup
I'd definitely be interested in attending.  Let me know if you need more help with the tech organization.
Insanity Prelude
I'm onboard for this of course. I've added a couple of new games to my belt since May so it will be exciting for sure.

As for names, I was thinking of something associated with "for the future" since that's a lot of what charity work ends up being for. Nothing else really solid, but I'll be thinking about it.
I'm in the area (only about 45 minutes to an hour away), so I'd love to be able to attend or stop on by, but it looks like the cap might prevent that. I'll try to offer some games up or show some support by volunteering in some way. Anyway, good luck to you all! No suggestions, since all of the ideas offered so far are amazingly thought out. Best of luck to you all!
No pain, no gain
Doicm, there's talk of letting some people stay off site. That's something that we'd have to talk quite a bit about first, though. We did it for the last SGDQ at Essentia's house, and it seemed to work pretty alright.
What Augora said "The Journey towards Hope " actually sounds good for a marathon name.
As Brossentia and Puwexil said, details about possibly allowing offsite attendees are still being hashed out. Please note that this is one of our first priorities to figure out, as we understand that little else matters if people are unsure whether they can go.
Can Essentia's interwebs handle a marathon? I know it's been a little suspect in the past.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-07-28 10:30:12 pm
puwexil: 2014-07-28 10:27:36 pm
Professional Second Banana
Awesome to see so much hype & excitement for this event despite it being over 9 months out!  Shocked

Quote from Romi:
Is marathon attendance mandatory in order to contribute to the runs in the marathon ?

To run games yes, though we'll need plenty of help from offsite folks for stuff like chat moderation, promotion, social media, prizes, etc.

Quote from ThatsFairZack:
But the most important question I have is for me personally, does the game have to be marathon safe?

Marathon safety will be one of the factors weighed for each game submission (along with other stuff like length, incentives, commentary, etc).  A run that's not marathon safe (which Lufia 2 Ancient Cave is as I I understand it, between the random equipment drops/enemy spawns and lack of save points) could potentially make it if we decide those other factors outweigh the risk of having to mercy kill and/or get off-schedule.

Quote from Deuceler:
When can we expect to see sign ups etc.? I know this thing is very new and under development - didn't know if anyone had a time table yet

We're hoping to have a timetable for game submissions/scheduling set within the next few weeks along with estimated attendance costs; but I will definitely not be opening submissions until after the AGDQ games topics (which start in mid-August) have quieted down.

Quote from Neerrm:
Can Essentia's interwebs handle a marathon? I know it's been a little suspect in the past.

She'll be getting a temporary bandwidth upgrade to support the marathon (funded by the attendance fees), which is what was done for the 2 SGDQ marathons she hosted.  Also, Denton was able to rig up their router to have dedicated bandwidth for the streaming PC, so that nothing other people onsite were doing would impact the stream.
Also, I can promise we won't be streaming off of Essentia's computer. Smiley However, we might use her machine for PC runs... <_<
No pain, no gain
Quote from Vulajin:
Also, I can promise we won't be streaming off of Essentia's computer. Smiley However, we might use her machine for PC runs... <_<

Perhaps the charity can be to buy Essentia a computer that can play more than solitaire Tongue

And yeah, I'd say that Essentia's computer is much, much worse than the internet. Much worse. I'm not mocking the computer when I say it takes a good ten minutes until it'll even open Firefox; that might actually surpass its capabilities. The internet will be fine, though, and it's worked great for SGDQs.
Sign me up for chat moderator if you're in need.
Stay chill, be cool.
I can get behind the name "The Journey of Hope" and as for charity, I'm putting my vote towards NAMI.
Edit history:
Harima: 2014-07-30 08:07:23 am
Literally speaking... literally...
Great to hear that an RPG marathon is still what people want!

As for a name, how about "Charity Quest" or "Questing for Charity"? Reason obviously being most (if not all) RPGs have (at least) a main questline and even more in 100% runs.

I'll be sure to watch! Cheesy
We're going to try to settle on a name and preferred charity (we may go with #2 if they're easier to work with) next week.  If you have any input on the matter and haven't expressed it yet, then you should do so; to be safe, no later than next Monday.  Just a heads up.
Of the names that have been suggested, I think I like the original "Limit Break" the most.

Also, if I had to pick a charity, I supposed I'd be for Intermountain Primary Children's Hospital.