Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011 -> <- 1, 2 ... 11 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Nice ! I can't wait to see how all of this is going to play out, good luck with all the planning !

Quote from ThatsFairZack:
But the most important question I have is for me personally, does the game have to be marathon safe?

Ancient cave should have a chance to be in there, considering how fun it is, not really long and is still enjoyable even if you don't get it to the end. It's still pretty safe time-wise.

The only marathon name I could come up with is Boundless Ocean, taken from one of the best music of FF3, it also echoes well with breaking the "limit of RPGs and charity" and I thought would fit well since it's from the game that reintroduces the concept of crystals and warriors of light after FFI. Kind of like a new beginning ?

And I'm voting for Primary Children's Hospital Wink
Let's Dance!
Quote from Melodia:
Oddly enough, the original DQ in Japan used a password...

haha, I'd forgotten about that!  also no many people are voting for the autism charity, and I'd like to say that's a good cause there (My nephew suffers from it)
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
This is awesome guys! Would love to get involved and attend, since it's not to far. Guess I'll have to pick my Star Ocean game up!

Limit Break is a decent name, and as far as people saying it's directly linked to Final Fantasy - wasn't the crystals? If you really wanted to play up FF just call it "One winged Angels" - fits for charity etc. I'm sure we will all come up with something - maybe a new acronym for "RPG" that could work?
Edit history:
Melodia: 2014-07-28 09:40:33 am
Well C4L 2013 *was* an FF marathon, it just expanded to be RPGs in general for 2014.

Anyway, as someone on chat suggested, you can't Google "Limit Break" at all, so that may be a consideration for a name.
Stay chill, be cool.
Quote from Melodia:
Well C4L 2013 *was* an FF marathon, it just expanded to be RPGs in general for 2014.

Anyway, as someone on chat suggestion, you can't Google "Limit Break" at all, so that may be a consideration for a name.

Yeah you have a really good point there.

In the meantime I'll pick up on my Valkyria Chronicles II and Ar tonelico running because I actually have the time now to sit down and do it.
Edit history:
Khobahi: 2014-07-28 09:48:32 am
Excited to see a new RPG marathon being organized!! Guess i need to step up my game on FFiv and figure out what else i want to start running =)

Edit** I also may be about to help out with webiste, depending on what all is needed.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Quote:
Well C4L 2013 *was* an FF marathon, it just expanded to be RPGs in general for 2014

Good point.

When can we expect to see sign ups etc.? I know this thing is very new and under development - didn't know if anyone had a time table yet
At first, I was opposed to limit break but I thought about it. There are more than a few meanings to the phrase. Even outside of ff. There is the desperation attack, level Cap break,  damage cap break.  There are many more meanings. I support limit break, but we have to keep it ours a bit.  Needs a sub title or something like that.
I've already said so elsewhere, but I'll mention it here too: I'd like to stick with JDRF if they can be worked with, but I'm also fine with NAMI.  NAMI has an excellent rating on give.org, so even though I haven't done any thorough research on them they do seem good at first glance.

Some strong name suggestions so far!  We'll definitely consider them (especially what with the google thing).

Quote from Deuceler:
When can we expect to see sign ups etc.? I know this thing is very new and under development - didn't know if anyone had a time table yet

Hard to say exactly, though we're probably going to wait for a bit so that people have a chance to think and the word can spread.  Also this event is going to be after AGDQ, so we might just wait until after that submission period ends.  Things are very much in the preliminary planning stage, too, and we don't want to get ahead of ourselves.
Quote from Melodia:
Anyway, as someone on chat suggested, you can't Google "Limit Break" at all, so that may be a consideration for a name.

This is a good point. Plus, I'd like a title that is more "general RPGs" rather than an FF reference.

Out of what I've thought of so far, I like "Speed Quest" or "Role Playing Rush."

Let's not re-invent the wheel. We need something that is easy to remember, and that clearly spells out what we are doing: Beating RPGs in a hasty manner.
Edit history:
Driscollad: 2014-07-28 10:47:17 am
could always name the group, more than the charity marathon. Something like "Hit Point Squad" or such. Then playful subtitles could accent the year's charity

Hit Point Squad Presents: yadda yadda
Stay chill, be cool.
Quote from Driscollad:
could always name the group, more than the charity marathon. Something like "Hit Point Squad" or such. Then playful subtitles could accent the year's charity

Hit Point Squad Presents: yadda yadda

You know, that's actually a good idea.

But yeah, it should be easy to remember.  We've moved past just only FF games when C4L was still a thing, so maybe we shouldn't make the name FF-specific, I don't know.
Edit history:
StingerPA: 2014-07-28 11:19:10 am
How about Grindfest?  It IS a bunch of RPGs, after all.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from StingerPA:
How about Grindfest?  It IS a bunch of RPGs, after all.

Yeah, but typically we're ANTI-grinding. We're not going for Lv 99 after all...
Decided to chip in some naming suggestions of my own for fun. Here goes!

First, I thought that a weapon/enemy/spell name might be fitting. Ultimarathon perhaps. Cure2-Kids/Diabetes/Autism,  or some other clever wordplay.

Then there's the more broad Dungeon Divers or Delving Deep. Something to show that we're trying to really reach out for them. I'd have used "Digging deep" but I'm pretty sure it would be near impossible to google.

I'll update as I think of more, if they're wanted. Looking forward to this! Cheesy
HELLO!
Rapidly Played Games: The RPG Charity Marathon.
No Grinding Allowed: RPG Speedrunning Marathon
Glad you all are doing this.

Swift Spell-cast
The Mana Offering
Edit history:
Neerrm: 2014-07-28 12:19:56 pm
Cure4You, or Cure4______ and plug in whatever is fitting
An RPG Speedrun Marathon in SLC right after I'm moving there? Count me in! I would love to help in any way possible since I'll be close. May have a game to run, but I'm not very well known at all.

Idea for a name? Menuing 4 Money.(really can't think of anything)
i would gladely help on anything i could from my home, so mostly chat moderation and/or tracker maintenance.
Edit history:
Omnigamer: 2014-07-28 01:11:23 pm
All the things
I think a name centered around a Phoenix might be good. Generic mythical creature that revives/renews but appears in a wide swath of RPGs (including FF). Also gives a nice mascot/logo that is not held to any particular copyright.

Examples:
Calling the Phoenix
Phoenix Rising
Power of the Phoenix
Raising the Phoenix
etc

There are many others, including heading into Phoenix Down/Pinion territory. Individual names may sound corny by themselves, but try saying it followed by "An RPG Charity Marathon" and it tends to fit better.

My 2 cents.
"Phoenix Rising" is the title of an Annihilator (Canadian thrash/shred metal band) ballad, so although I very much approve - as it's a good song, and I like the band a great deal - there may actually be a legal issue there.  I wouldn't say it's likely, but it's there, I suppose.

Still, keep the suggestions coming!
When I think "Phoenix," I tend to think about the "Phoenix Society," a charity group dedicated to supports for individuals with major burn injuries. It's an awesome group, one I'd like to support more in the future.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
With there being marathons in the past having donated money towards OAR and JDRF, it was apparent that JDRF was fairly supportive, based on comments from people who went to C4L and the fact they sent representatives to the marathon. How easy was OAR to work with and how supportive were they with SGDQ 2011 and 2012? I think that ought to be a factor in which charity to choose. If JDRF is willing to be supportive of this one, despite the new name and organizers, then that ought to be charity to go with.