Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Professional Second Banana
Wow, nice!  I was thinking FF 4-6 field sprites for the avatars, but if people have other creative ideas I'm definitely game.
Stream setup looks great and it's simple enough so you can easily see the important informations.

I'm totally biased for runner-specific sprites, because Ultros = best. Cheesy
Custom sprites could be a nice alternative, but I think the sprites need to be pretty small in general, like overworld sprites, to fit into the layout.
Yeah, seems like 16x16 would be a good size (this is the ff4/5 overworld sprite size)
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I like where all of this is going. Commentary is going to be pretty damn fun as well, have we decided on how we are going to do it yet? Skype call, team speak etc.
Skype worked fine for our purposes last time, so I was planning to stick with that.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Sounds good. I also wanted to know how strict you were going to be on people joining the call, because in my opinion it would be really annoying (not only for commentators, but also for viewers) for random people to be hopping in and out.
Pudding%
I can't speak for Puwexil, but I'd personally be fine people popping in so long as they can contribute to the commentary somehow.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-08-08 11:42:48 am
puwexil: 2014-07-31 09:51:42 pm
Yeah, there won't be 'random' people on the call, just runners and commentators.  I'll trust people to mute themselves to cut down on background noise if they don't have anything to say for a while.

In other relay news, I think we should finalize plans for the bonus game contest relatively soon.  What do people think of this?

1st place at an individual game = 4 votes towards a bonus game, 2nd place = 3 votes, 3rd place = 2 votes, 4th place = 1 vote
At least 1 fun incentive per game that doesn't affect the route or run time (greatest # of EGGs in FF4, best opera performance in FF6, MLG airship landings, etc) = 1 vote
Online poll will be run during the entire relay for audience to vote, and 1st place in poll = 4 votes, 2nd place = 3 votes, etc
In the event of a tie, whichever game placed higher on the audience poll will be the winner.

Lastly, here's what I have for the bonus game options - the winning game would be raced sometime the following weekend (9/20-21) at a time that works for the runners:
Secret of Mana (Any% 1p2c): StingerPA, Yagamoth, Crow!
Lufia 2 (Any%): HappySquid, Vultuz, ViiMan, Dragondarch
FF Mystic Quest (Maybe 100% since Any% with the new skips looks pretty RNG-heavy late-game?): FFGamer86, Vultuz, eLmaGus, Jenja
Chrono Trigger (Any%): Essentia, eLmaGus, Jenja, Obdajr
i agree with only having runners/commentators.

is there any final incentives for every game or is it still being worked on?
Need ideas for incentives (especially for FF5).  Just 1 or 2 per game should be plenty, since having incentives that don't affect the run time limits the options quite a bit.

For the Opera contest, to do something different with it from last time, I was thinking of bringing in a few other FF speedrunners that have acting or stage experience (like spikevegeta and mistermv) to be 'judges'; and we'd have them score the Opera performances like (a muuuch less serious version of) America's Got Talent or other reality TV shows.
Pudding%
Quote from puwexil:
Need ideas for incentives (especially for FF5).  Just 1 or 2 per game should be plenty, since having incentives that don't affect the run time limits the options quite a bit.

FF4:
MLG airship landings.
EGGs encountered.
Number of battles to get a D.Machin to finally show up (unless they can manipulate this now, then never mind).
Number of kills Beastward gets.

FF5:
Number of Bears not caught in the desert.
MLG airship landings.
Number of Y Burns encountered.

FF6:
Opera.
Best "INSTABABY" acting.
Number of pincer attacks.
Fewest trips to save Cid.
Suplex the train. (This has nothing to do with incentives...I think this should be mandatory thumbsup )
Quote from Dragondarch:
Number of battles to get a D.Machin to finally show up (unless they can manipulate this now, then never mind).

I'm hoping to manipulate it, whether or not I can pull it off is another story~

It'd be pretty hype if we could stopwatch how long it takes us to grab a black chocobo in FF4, and then whoever is fastest wins.

Another incentive for FF4 would be Blue Rydia (changing sprites as you're talking to Tellah in the cave)
Pudding%
Also, I think I'd like to be taken off the list for FFMQ...there's already 4 others down for that one, and if I'd rather focus on Lufia II rather than splitting my attention between two.
FF5:
Number of Attacks at Goblin Fight
Dark Shock Misses

Not sure if MLG Landing is appropriate, since you either get it or you don't, so there's no real ranking to choose the "winner" from
I try and make things pretty
Hey all,

I'd like to introduce myself and say hello... Crumps had asked awhile back if I'd ever be interested in helping with layouts and graphics for the relay races, and finally introduced me to puwexil a couple weeks ago. I awnted to show off what I'd put together with a few notes and get some feedback.

Notes:
-The player currently running is in the larger font. Players with completed times in green. Can also set it up where the best time for a specific game appears in a different color.
-Not pictured is an additional element for showing how many 'votes' each team has accrued so far in the race from completing bonus elements.
-Crumps, as expected, is losing badly.

This is the time splits graphic, which will fly in and replace the main time display. Avatars will race to the bottom, with times listed behind them as they complete elements. Checkpoints were supplied by puwexil.

What do you think, sirs?

Looks great to me, along with the panel we discussed for showing updates on the bonus game voting.  What do other people think?
layout is great, but it is incomplete without D R E A M T E A M and Hydra Cry
How will the time splits graphic be placed onto the stream? Will it periodically fade in/out with the times? That'd be pretty cool.

It'd also be cool to have a sprite representation of each split. Give people something to look at besides a whole bunch of words (though the avatars will still be there.)

Looks great overall though, I really love the look of it. Great job!
Quote from Neerrm:
How will the time splits graphic be placed onto the stream? Will it periodically fade in/out with the times? That'd be pretty cool.

There will be a control panel that gives the host the ability to switch back and forth between the two.

Quote:
It'd also be cool to have a sprite representation of each split. Give people something to look at besides a whole bunch of words (though the avatars will still be there.)

That's definitely doable if people can supply me with the assets. I'm not as familiar with FF games as others so I'll need some assistance on what should be used for each split.
I also think it looks great! Thank you very much for putting up a design for this event, it's awesome Smiley

I agree with the idea to have little boss sprites for each split and it shouldn't be a big problem to provide you with the necessary images. I still feel that for the team overview there has to be something in the middle, where there is still a little bit of space. Not sure what, but I guess we can find something to put in there.
I heart SDA
chrishanel, love the layout, dude!  Poor crumps, haha.

The checkpoint graphic is a great idea.

My only suggestion is to use something not blocky/retro-game-y for the font.
That layout looks great! All the key information (Team Name, Runner Names, Times) is displayed right next to their video.

I like the idea of the checkpoints graphic. Gives an idea of where the runner is in the game at a glance. I agree with Neerrm's suggestion of adding sprites to the checkpoints.
Edit history:
HappySquid: 2014-08-06 07:42:15 am
I agree with what has been said here already. Layout looks pretty cool, while being simple enough so you don't get distracted and still have a clear view on  the information displayed.
No further remarks. Smiley
Thanks to elmagus for directing me to this thread.

I would be willing to replace elmagus for Lufia 2 Any% (without RNG manipulation) bonus stream (if it is picked).
My PB is currently at 4:31:19.
I must simply laugh.
i'd approve of aforementioned replacement!