--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Vultuz: 2014-09-12 03:53:13 pm
Vultuz: 2014-09-12 03:52:32 pm
Vultuz: 2014-09-12 03:51:05 pm
Just in case one of my Games get into the Bonus (Mystic Quest and Lufia II)
Available:
Friday 19th:  2-3PM EST (cant promise but should home again at 3PM for Sure)
Sunday 21st: 2-3PM EST (Definitely!)and later
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-09-12 10:05:41 pm
Professional Second Banana
Only 10 hours to go!  Be there tomorrow - http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil @ 10AM EDT.
Formerly known as Skullboy
I'll miss watching the event live but I will watch the highlights and such. Good luck everyone!
Fucking Weeaboo
Good thing I have the weekend off. Well, except tonite, so I'm gonna get no sleep. Haha. See ya in the morning for HPYE!
Very well run event.  Lived up to all the hype.

A "well done" to puwexil and everyone involved in the organization and hosting.  And of course to all the runners.
Hax I used all of my strengthz
Very much love with this event.

Elmagus singing the opera was a musical masterpiece.
I must simply laugh.
embarassed
I wasted almost all day yesterday because of the relay. Damn you! Cheesy
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-09-15 08:51:51 am
Awesome, awesome job everyone!  Big congrats to Team Y Burn for getting the 1st sub-13 hour relay time, and to all other teams for putting out solid times and making for a very fun event!

I'm working with the Chrono Trigger runners to set a time for the bonus race next weekend.  In the meantime, if anyone has any feedback on the relay (games, rules, scheduling, stream layout, audio setup, commentary, incentives, etc), feel free to share so we can try to make the next one even better.  I'll post my thoughts probably next week, after the CT race.
If anything I think a better distribution of work on the backend would help future things. For example, had I known that we didn't have something for broadcasters to watch until the night before I could have made something better than what I tossed together, and I'm not sure what Chris was doing to warrant an all-nighter the night before but maybe could have chipped in to help somewhere there too. All in all I feel like the relay went incredibly well, broadcasting was on point, and I had a good time for sure. I do feel like broadcasting got a bit disjointed on game transitions, but that's kind of the nature of the beast when there's a discrepancy in times. There were a few minor issues with Skype such as hearing people's in-game audio through their mics and other general problems that I feel like could have been ironed out beforehand, but that's kind of nitpicking at this point.

Also Lufia 2 nooooooooooooo
I enjoyed the relay very much. Saw almost all of it as well. I have to say though (and this is solely my opinion), that it seemed that FF5 was missing commentary during the first part of the game. It picked up later on though. I have to agree with Puwexil: Awesome job everyone (not only the runners, also the people behind the scenes). I also have to agree with Neerrm: Lufia 2 noooooooooooo
I must simply laugh.
Really Really Really good job by everyone, i have to agree on that! runners did really way, broadcast was really awesome etc.

I do agree with Neerrm on the iron some things out part, but that is a small side thing that didnt really affect the viewers at all so that is not a problem.

What I would personally improve (and this does affect myself because im a lazy slob), I would absolutley FORCE runners of the next relay to AT LEAST stream practice. im pretty sure i made people sweat with not streaming a single minute of FF6 before the relay, and that is something you don't want to have in a relay like this. I'm totally sorry about not doing it, and i am gonna be honest here it was because i was simply to lazy to do so.

Anyways about the games: I feel like even though we had less viewers than last relay, these games ARE the best to do for a relay. This time i actually could watch 4 and 5 (compared to last time where i fell asleep during 6) and i have to say, these games work very well together.

Another minor thing is, even though we had set commentators, i felt like the 4 commentary was by far the best (no offense) but that is mainly because we had 3 really good runners for that, the other games had entertaining commentary but only 1 runner of the game (in both cases puwexil).  I am pretty sure there are enough runners of 5 and 6 hiding out there that could help out in this regard should there be another 4-5-6 relay.

Personally i felt the incentives were cool and all, but i would love to see things like Big Doll etc return to next relay, i like an additional challenge for runners, it makes it seem like a special thing, not just an everyday speedrun.

I think that is enough though, honestly overall it was really great and i enjoyed myself way too much even though i think i was never as nervous as before my run (thank you LCC).

Cheers for good work!
I'm a scrubby noob
Quote from eLmaGus-:
What I would personally improve (and this does affect myself because im a lazy slob), I would absolutley FORCE runners of the next relay to AT LEAST stream practice. im pretty sure i made people sweat with not streaming a single minute of FF6 before the relay, and that is something you don't want to have in a relay like this. I'm totally sorry about not doing it, and i am gonna be honest here it was because i was simply to lazy to do so.

Since when eLmaGus is exactly me with FF5? ~

Even better than the first Relay Race but still.

Honestly, I felt highly disappointed on my own run. I fucked up, too often and too hard, but that's maybe just me being too hard with myself (or also force me to train more next time)

FF5 was way better than last relay in terms of comments but still, I felt like there was more blank times in FF5 than FF4 (I'm sorry, I died during FF6 so I can't tell how it was). Well, I also can blame myself as I could be more active but the fact that English isn't my native language plus the fact that we don't want "random shit" told on the stream makes me trying to not talk a lot as I'm always afraid of being off limits or say wrong things ^^'

In anyway, it was a great experience, better than the first time.

My only question:
When's the next Relay Race?

H A I L  H Y D R A
Relay is now highlighted on Twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/c/5122769) and exported to Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxmuedQTLk90O0JAmROCSUSQHFxb0mSro).  If anyone wants to suggest highlights/bloopers to make shorter highlights out of, by all means.
Pudding%
My thoughts:
The FF5 commentary, or rather, the quiet points, were mostly on me. I'm no where near as familiar with the route as I should have been. My specialty is pretty much limited to in-depth game knowledge, which I feel has a place, but had I known more specifics about the route I feel I would have had more to say. Also, I'm the best at going to say something at the exact same time someone else starts talking Wink

I have to agree that the FF4 commentary was probably the best of the 3.

In terms of scheduling, maybe we could try and not have it on a weekend where another speedrun event is going on? While the audiences are fairly different for this and the Mystery Tournament, we ended up only having half the relay on front page, as did the MT. I know Mike89 made a speedrunning events calendar, though I don't know the link to it right now. I do know the MT happens twice a year, just like the FF Relay, so something to think about.

On bonus incentives: I think a mix of this relay's and the last relay's could work well. Some sympathy incentives (4, 3, 2, 1 - same as this relay), and some challenge incentives (worth a fixed amount of points for completion) I think could be a fun way to do these. Incentives would obviously be optional, but it could score your bonus game pick some extra points if you do it.

On bonus games: I had no qualms with what picks there were. All were strong choices in my book. Maybe for the next relay we could have the bonus game that was played for this relay be replaced with another game - hopefully that would prevent one game from dominating too much.
SEGA Junkie
Quote from Dragondarch:
I know Mike89 made a speedrunning events calendar, though I don't know the link to it right now.

That's here. PM me if you know of other stuff that needs adding.
Re: scheduling, the conflict with the Mystery Tournament was unfortunate; but even with hindsight I don't see anything I could have done differently to avoid that.  Back in June after I narrowed down to 2 dates that worked for all of the runners, I ran those by romscout.  The 1st date was the same as the Mega Man relay and was out; but 9/13 had no other big speedrun events at the time, which tells me that the Mystery Tournament organizers either hadn't scheduled their event yet or hadn't notified romscout.  I hope mike89's calendar will help prevent something like this from happening next time.

The conflict with the Nico FF7-9 relay was my bad - I knew that the JP community had it in the works; but I didn't think to check the date when scheduling our relay.  For next time I'll work with Emanon (one of the organizers of the Nico relay) to try to avoid schedule conflicts.

Also re: Nico, I got some interesting stats from cookie on the Nico relay restream:
2547 views (vs Feb: 2174), 2676 comments (vs Feb: 1259). In short, +17% views, +112% comments.

I was expecting a smaller turnout because of the FF7-9 relay at the same time, but we ended up getting more views (note that 'views' means unique viewers over the court of the stream, not concurrent viewers like we usually track them) and over twice the chat comments.  It also sounded like the FAQ (on the glitches we use and game version/community rule differences) that 0xwas translated into Japanese definitely made a difference.
That's "Bat" and "Leon"
Just recently started watching a bunch of recorded FF runs.  Watched the winter relay recording just a couple of weeks ago and enjoying this one now.  The changes in the FFIV run are astounding.  Is there a place where people go to discuss that run?  I have a zillion questions but could not find a thread here.  Pardon my ignorance.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-09-20 11:51:07 am
The Chrono Trigger Any% bonus race with Obdajr, Essentia, ElGranJerry, and Jenja (with eLmaGus and me on commentary) will be on Saturday, September 27th at 2PM EDT, on my channel (twitch.tv/puwexil).  I'm aware that the JRTA marathon is that same weekend; but the 27th was the only date in the next few weeks that worked for all 4 runners.
Quote from batleon:
Just recently started watching a bunch of recorded FF runs.  Watched the winter relay recording just a couple of weeks ago and enjoying this one now.  The changes in the FFIV run are astounding.  Is there a place where people go to discuss that run?  I have a zillion questions but could not find a thread here.  Pardon my ignorance.

This looks like the main FF4 forum thread - https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/final_fantasy_iv_snes.html.  Hasn't been active for a while; but if you post there one of the runners of the game should see it and respond.
Quote from batleon:

Another good way is to look for the streams of all the runners and ask questions. We are helpful and will answer what we can!
That's "Bat" and "Leon"
Thanks a lot everyone.
Quote from puwexil:
The Chrono Trigger Any% bonus race with Obdajr, Essentia, ElGranJerry, and Jenja (with eLmaGus and me on commentary) will be on Saturday, September 27th at 2PM EDT, on my channel (twitch.tv/puwexil).  I'm aware that the JRTA marathon is that same weekend; but the 27th was the only date in the next few weeks that worked for all 4 runners.

So the teams for Essentia and Jenja are pretty much clear, but who gets Obda and Jerry? Unless Essentia or Jenja want to realize their folly and join the best team ever <3
Quote from puwexil:

This is going to be as cool as the main event was. I'll have to watch the VoD though, as I will miss a good portion of the run due to conflicts.
Everything's better with Magitek
Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in the Chrono Trigger race. My Grandma just passed away, and her funeral is on Saturday. I believe we've found someone to take my place, though.