Sad
page  <- 12345678910 <- 1 ... 10
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
にゃんだにょ!
Hey, I'm Cookie (the guy who did the JP restream). Yes, being able to use 0xwas's FAQ for guidance helped a lot. I know the general FF4/6 glitchless routes pretty well, and was able to use that knowledge to carry over into the any% variances, and between my sometimes improvised explanations and the FAQ, I think I was able to address most of the questions that arose. The bug explanations, timing rules and such were used extensively throughout.

After the operas concluded, I held a quick poll. If I'm tracking time correctly, it would've been around 8am(ish) on a Sunday and there were 19 votes, which means probably 20-25 concurrent viewers at that time (NND doesn't give concurrent viewer data like Twitch does, so one has to estimate). Essentia's plushy opera was a big hit, obviously. Throughout the overnight, several other JP FF speed runners also showed up at various points and we were able to talk briefly about some of the state of the race (or the FF789 race. heh). For comparison, the FF789 race during the same time period had ~12k views if I'm counting right.

To put it in context, 10am EDT is 11pm JST, so many viewers watched FF4 (in part) and then went to sleep and returned towards the tail end of FF6.. but even having said that, viewers/comments overnight were still up compared to last time and there were a few dedicated souls who stayed up the entire time (NEET or otherwise) to watch the entire thing.

If I do another JP mirror, things that I would focus on include:
1) Getting a Japanese co-commentator. English knowledge isn't necessarily too important, but someone who specializes in FF4, say, could go into greater detail about why leveling isn't important until the Giant of Babil, for example, or talk about the boss weaknesses/strategies (I couldn't properly convey why character order matters or why Edge was the level-up target instead of Rosa [which is what JP runners use, owing to the different rules])
2) Memes/In-jokes. Despite being American with ancestral roots scattered across Europe, I'm not terribly familiar with English memes because my usual audience is Japanese. I know a few ("instababy", etc) but it's hard to convey them properly.. On the other hand, if you have to explain the joke, then it's no longer funny.. but I think I could at least make an attempt at bringing some of the jokes across to the other side of the pond. Vice-versa could apply, too (e.g. Kefka's "SEGA" music)
3) More explanation of general FF gameplay techniques (why does the dancing dagger not trigger counter on antlion? why have characters at low HP on Kefka, etc) -- I can explain that well enough in English, but may have difficulty explaining the reasoning off-the-cuff in Japanese. By preparing some more gameplay notes and storyline explanations on my side, I could more easily tie story/plot points to gameplay and the bugs being used. That is certainly within my power to do, I think.

I had approached a Japanese gamer friend for possible tagteam commentary this time around, but the timing didn't jive with his work schedule and I didn't have any backup options. It's hard doing commentary alone for a 14+ hour stream, and it's easy to get worn out, so I had to take breaks at points and discuss over chat alone. It wasn't ideal, but them's the breaks (pun intended?).

I also wrote my own tracker (albeit not as awesome as the one the main stream used) but it crashed at around the 10 hour mark (when I was debugging afterwords, it ran fine for 24 hours straight, so... not sure what happened there!). I've got plans to extend and tweak that and add some functionality to record/reload timers if necessary)

(Also, I won't be mirroring the bonus stream in Japanese; I don't know CT well enough to even consider attempting it, and have server work to do that weekend, but I will update the FF456 results page to include the link at least)

Also also, Essentia, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and hope that you are able to find solace during this time. Family and friends should always come first and I'm sure the bonus stream will manage just fine. You should know that the Japanese audience loved your plushie opera the most, and I'm sure they'd wish you the best as well.
I must simply laugh.
yeah im currently tormenting myself with relearning CT and investigating the new route, so i will participate after all
Edit history:
JLohman711: 2014-09-26 06:56:12 am
Quote from Essentia:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in the Chrono Trigger race. My Grandma just passed away, and her funeral is on Saturday. I believe we've found someone to take my place, though.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I understand fully what you're going through, having just lost my mother a couple months ago. You and your family are in my thoughts this weekend.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-09-27 11:15:39 am
Professional Second Banana
45 min to go until the Chrono Trigger bonus race at http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil !
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-09-28 12:55:09 pm
Quote from eLmaGus-:
yeah im currently tormenting myself with relearning CT and investigating the new route, so i will participate after all

"If my fate is to race, then I must simply PB by over 12 minutes." thumbsup

CT race is now on Twitch/Youtube (http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/c/5194688 /   Thanks to everyone that tuned in - got a decent-sized crowd (~425) despite the shorter stream length and conflict with JRTA.

I'll write up a longer closing post on the relay sometime in the next few days, now that the bonus race is over.  I'm definitely interested in people's feedback on that - the bonus race was an experiment I wanted to try to have a 'prize' of sorts for runners doing well at their games in the relay, a way to get the audience involved, and an excuse for a hype/commentated race of another RPG besides FF4-6.  If people overall liked the idea, then we can do it again next time and replace CT with something else.

Edit: Forum avatar RNG is strong today
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I think it was a fantastic idea - but I feel like it should be closer to the relay. If the relay is saturday, the bonus race should be done on Sunday. It had a good turnout regardless, but people almost seemed to see it as an afterthought.

Thanks again for putting this on yet again Puwexil, you have once again restored my desire to run Final Fantasy games. Hopefully I can be apart of the next one, it's always a great time!
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Deuceler:
I think it was a fantastic idea - but I feel like it should be closer to the relay. If the relay is saturday, the bonus race should be done on Sunday. It had a good turnout regardless, but people almost seemed to see it as an afterthought.

Thanks again for putting this on yet again Puwexil, you have once again restored my desire to run Final Fantasy games. Hopefully I can be apart of the next one, it's always a great time!

Seconding this motion.
Quote from Deuceler:

The main reason I decided not to try to schedule the bonus game for the day after the relay was that most of the bonus games had runners that were also in the relay (original Chrono Trigger group was 3 out 4 runners).  I didn't want to overload them with having to practice multiple games (especially if their bonus game didn't end up getting chosen), so the original plan was for the weekend after the relay.  The CT runners and I had too many other commitments the weekend of 9/20-21, so it had to be pushed to 9/27-28 (and avoiding JRTA would have meant going even farther away from the relay).

I agree that doing the bonus game the day after the relay would probably retain more viewers; but if we do that in the future I think it'll also mean having to change how we pick games/runners for bonus.
What's that gemma?
There are enough potential bonus games that have reasonably large communities that you could remove runner overlap between the relay and the bonus stream.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-09-29 08:20:32 pm
Relay chat logs for anyone interested (timestamps are US-Central).
Dapper as fuck.
I enjoyed what I could watch of the relay.  Like Deuceler, it also renewed my interest in running a Final Fantasy. 
I must simply laugh.
I liked that the bonus game in this particular instance was not the day after the relay, because well practicing for 2 games at the same time is hard. At the same time i feel like future bonus games have a big enough community to choose 4 runners that will not be in the main relay, so I am hoping that it will be opted to be held the day after the relay. This would also mean that Bonus Game runners might practice and not get in, but personally i would be totally fine with that. If I practice a game and run it, I do not do that mainly to be part of an event like this in the first place (to me that is a big nice bonus but not the reason).

The race itself was awesome and fitting. I felt like during the relay, the viewers not only rooted for a team but a game aswell, gave a lot of extra motivation and spice to the relay itself, I really liked it! It went really well considering the game was Chrono Trigger (aka The Devil himself), all runners did really well, i rewatched the whole thing and the adaptions made by all runners and handling difficult situations was really awesome to watch, great job from everybody! Also I felt the commentary was really strong, it didnt come over stiff and factual but more like a conversation, which i personally enjoy very much.

Looking forward to the next relay, hoping the same format returns next time!
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-10-02 12:43:52 am
Now that I've rewatched the full relay, here are my closing thoughts:

Tech/Streaming
The restreaming setup took a lot of time/energy compared to the 1st relay (mostly on my part, but also on the runners' parts due to needing to change their stream setup and test in advance); but I think was very much worth it in the end.  The game captures all looked great (really smooth framerates, and the lower stream delay made commentary feel much less like were spread across 9 time zones.  I was only aware of 3 noticeable tech issues (me having to refresh Crumps' stream in OBS quite a few times because his Internet was having issues and the RTMP server doesn't handle disconnects very well, Incalex's freezing at once point until he restarted it on his end, and Obdajr's getting 'lost' for a minute or two until I rebuilt it in the the OBS layout), and they weren't really any different/worse than issues we would have had using a Twitch restreaming setup.  Game changes were quite smooth (hopefully next time we'll have a means to delay starting the FF6 timers until the run actually starts).  Chris' graphics/animations looked great and definitely gave the relay a much more professional look & feel.

Games
I had some concerns during the planning phase about continuing to have FF5 in the relay (since it's a game that Western gamers don't have the same nostalgia for as FF4/6, and has a smaller fanbase/speedrun community compared to the other 2); but after the fact I agree with eLmaGus' comment that the 3 games worked very well together and showed the evolution of the series.  Assuming we stick with the bonus game race in some form or another, that will be a great opportunity to showcase other RPGs as part of the event.

Commentary
The FF4 commentators definitely knocked it out of the park, hands down.  The FF5/FF6 commentary teams were very good/informative too (Dragondarch and Brossentia brought great game mechanics knowledge to the table), but didn't have quite the same chemistry as FF4, between fewer people and the one with the most speedrun experience with the games having to also manage the stream.  A similar makeup with an extra FF5/6 speedrunner in the mix will make it even better next time.

Team Balance/Practicing
Team balance was pretty good overall, and 3 of the teams were pretty close together in the final stretch of FF6.  I agree that practice is important (Team Y Burn's big victory despite being the 1 team without a WR holder definitely shows the value of practice/consistency), and the Japanese FF4-6 relay has in their rules that runners might be disqualified if they don't stream at least 1 run a week in the lead-up to the relay.  I really don't want to set any kind of objective requirements like that for our relay though - I recognize that people's personal lives might not be friendly to streaming for 4-6 hours straight on a regular basis; and I'm fine with trusting runners to use whatever practice schema works best for them.

As a side note: I really, really loved the matching window colors across runners in some of the teams (purple for Ultros Boogie, red for Y Burn) - was a great touch for the relay race format.

Scheduling/Viewership
Addressed the conflicts with Mystery Tournament and the Nico FF7-9 relay a few posts back - hopefully mike89's speedrun events calendar will help prevent this next time, and I'll also check with my contacts in the Japanese FF community.

I know that the 10AM Eastern start time meant a pretty early morning for the FF4 crew (about half of which was US/Canada west coast) and a super late night for Dreamboum/eLmaGus; but I don't really see much room for change when we have participants/viewers spanning so many time zones.

Peak viewership was quite a bit lower this time than last (1st relay peaked at ~5200 viewers, this one at ~2000 - both times during the endgame of FF4); but it was MUCH more consistent overall - it dropped to 1300-1500 during the 2nd half of FF5/1st half of FF6 (probably largely due to it getting late in Europe), then picked back up to ~1700 during the FF6 endgame).  My only guess on why viewership was smaller was the conflicting Twitch events; but in the end I felt we had a nice large (yet civil) crowd that had a good time.

Incentives/Bonus Game
Feedback on the bonus game has been pretty positive so far, so sounds like it's worth another go next time.  We can see when the planning for the Winter 2015 relay starts if scheduling it closer to the main relay date is possible (since that will require bonus game runners that either aren't part of the relay proper or can handle practicing multiple games, and would be OK with practicing a game that might not get chosen).

I like the idea of bringing back incentives that require some risk taking; but I think that'd require some kind of overhaul to the system (I doubt many runners would go for something too risky when there's no in-game benefit).

Also, I think after this relay it's time to retire the FF6 Opera incentive - the new tech setup didn't work out too well (since I didn't have a very good way to deal with runner overlap, unlike the 1st relay where I could just have the viewers watch the runners' Twitch streams directly), and it made the commentary afterwards a bit disjointed (had to jump around quite a bit during Vector to 'catch up' after having no game commentary for 20-30 min.  If someone wants to do something fun/creative during the opera in the future, I'm sure we could work it in (maybe unmute their stream and have them temporarily leave the Skype call to prevent echo, and have that audio replace the normal FF6 music playlist during the Opera).

Japanese Restream
From cookie's post it sounds like we had a pretty successful restream, despite the late hour in Japan and the FF7-9 relay the same weekend.  All of the improvement ideas sound great to me (especially having another Japanese commentator - 12-13 hours is a loooong time to be talking regularly).

All in all, I thought this relay improved on the 1st one in pretty much every way; and we just need to touch up a few things to have a really strong event.  Already looking forward to the next one - I'll keep organizing them as long as people keep playing in and watching them! Smiley