--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from lillbrorsan:
Nice! You should be able to beat my time in the next one Cheesy
Remember to post your run with a Twitch highlight over at Speedrun.

Submitted. :-) I didn't know that website existed until recently, so I forgot about it.
Demon, what are you doing to get fps that high? My game runs between 30 and 60, with what appears to be a limit at 60.
Quote from Oginam:
Demon, what are you doing to get fps that high? My game runs between 30 and 60, with what appears to be a limit at 60.

I guess I'll use this post to make a little settings tutorial.

1. video.scr
- This is the file for the settings you select while in the Video menu in game.
- It is located at: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\DyingLight\out\settings\video.scr
- Here are the settings I have in that file:
Code:
Resolution(1920,1080)
Fullscreen()
Monitor(0)
TextureQuality("Low")
VisRange(1.00, 1.00)
ShadowMapSize(128)
SpotShadowMapSize(128)
GammaFloat(1.00)
GrassQuality(2)
ExtraGameFov(28.00)
AmbientOcclusion(0)
MotionBlur(1)
AntiAliasing(0)
DisableDWM(1)
Version(1)

- Some of these values are generated by the Dying Light Manager which I'll be describing next.

2. Dying Light Manager
- This is a tool for launching Dying Light with various engine options that are not available otherwise.
- The tool can be downloaded here: http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/18/
- Here are my settings in the tool:

- Make sure to set all these settings as I did unless otherwise noted.
- The first image is the main launcher.
-- Make sure to hit 'Enable Mods' below the 'works with v1.3.0.0'. If you don't, this launcher won't change anything in your game.
- The second image is the 'Change Gamesettings' screen.
-- I changed the Field of View so that I can see more as I'm playing. It provides no FPS enhancement.
-- I set the Refreshrate to 120 because I use a monitor that is set to 120 Hz.
- You must use this application to launch the game. Do not use Steam or a Steam shortcut to launch the game.

3. Other Tweaks
- I also have these 2 mods installed, but I think the Manager covers these changes now. So, I don't think they are needed anymore.
-- http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/1/
-- http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/5/
- I have disabled HyperThreading on my processor (I believe I have Abahbob to thank for this). It gave me more consistent framerate overall.
- I originally disabled Crossfire, but have since re-enabled it.
-- I do not have the 'Enable AMD CrossFireX for applications that have no associated profile' checkbox checked.
--- Checking it caused strange visual issues in game, and seemed to make things more unstable.
- I am using MSI Afterburner to monitor FPS: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
-- You need to disable OBS.exe from being monitored in the RivaTunerStatisticsServer that the application runs.

Overall, I use 2 AMD 7870's in Crossfire. Before doing all these tweaks, I was realistically only getting between 25-35 FPS consistently in Slums. Now, I get 40-80. And, you'll see in many areas in my run, I get over 100. I hope this helped you guys. :-)
Edit history:
lillbrorsan: 2015-02-10 04:40:44 pm
Truljin @ Twitch
Got my new GPU today and took a while to get used to this new fantastic FPS throughout the game.
After 7 hours of continuous streaming I got a new run completed!

RTA: 2:14:58
IGT: 2:10:14
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/truljin/c/6089772
Splits:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ns2d5n5rqpen82/DyingLight_Any%25.lss?dl=0

Going to look at your run tomorrow DemonStrate to start making some adjustments to save even more time! Cheesy
I think it's worth considering capping FPS so there is a standard. It's very obvious to me, going from 30-40 normally to 60+ with the mod, that animations and a few other things speed up with fps. This will lead to whoever has the better computer to push higher FPS holding the record. I realize the game doesn't inherently cap FPS but having a competitive speed run is better than hardware dictating the world record.

I'm coming to this from Dark Souls II which was great at adjusting to all kinds of computer specs but that made it impossible to compare times person to person or run to run. We agreed to start using a FPS cap (forcing it) with dxtory (which is free) at 60. This allowed all of the runners, regardless of computer spec to play on a more or less even field time wise.

Additionally it may prevent the side effect (something I also saw with Dark Souls II) of having runs that are just slower or faster overall for no apparent reason. Games that are overly sensitive or poorly optimized will play differently from one run to the next, setting a baseline at 60 (as an example) takes care of that for the most part.

I don't know that I have much intention of continuing to run the game anyway now that I've hit sub 2:30 (barring other major time saves) so take this as just a topic for discussion or consideration.
Edit history:
lillbrorsan: 2015-02-10 03:21:12 pm
Truljin @ Twitch
I don't mind running the game and at cap 60 fps, usually don't go above this unless I am inside buildings.
New PB for myself. I didn't really like the run, but whatever. This game can be quite irritating.

RTA: 2:22:13
IGT: 2:18:07
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/demonstrate86/c/6091947
Does anyone have a full map of the areas? I want to look at how 100% may work but without a map to chart the locations of things it would be insane. I can't find any online.
I'm mapping 100%, i have old town fully mapped out (not optimized) with collectibles + sidequests, redoing the slums because it has so many sidequests my first draft was illegible.
Quote from Oginam:
Does anyone have a full map of the areas? I want to look at how 100% may work but without a map to chart the locations of things it would be insane. I can't find any online.

The best I've found so far is here. Also, you'd need this information for 100% anyway. All blueprints would have to be included in that category. It might be easier to start with 'All Missions' and then work up from there.
http://gaminggix.com/dying-light/dying-light-blueprint-locations-map-and-list-view/

Slums

Old Town
Edit history:
Nazzy: 2015-02-11 10:12:50 pm
Slums Map: Collectible Markers only http://i.imgur.com/RXrMAuJ.jpg

Old Town Map: Collectibles+Story+Sidequests http://i.imgur.com/BzRbTw8.png
#Edit: This map has a statue that is during the extraction mission in the sewers but you can use the sewer glitch during saviors to get it early, marked at the sewer entrance of old town, i havent updated it.

I wasn't sure on blueprints as they aren't a tracked collectible, if the community decides that they are then ill redo my maps, gaminggix might be better though, better detail since its in-game maps.
I would assume 100% would just be everything that the game requires to hit 100% (As seen on your profile when you choose it)
Edit history:
Nazzy: 2015-02-11 11:16:02 pm
100% only counts Story+Sidequests, including challenges and quarantine zones as far as i know.
#Edit: Games tracker for 100% i should have said.
100% to me would not include: items used or bought by the character in the game (blueprints, weapons, valuables, item mods, etc.), random world events such as saving survivors or air drops, or the character's skill tree.

What I would include in 100% are: zombie statues, notes, recordings, flags, battle journals, non-repeatable quests/sub-quests, and safe zones (equivalent to completing the map, for this game).
Edit history:
Nazzy: 2015-02-12 01:34:09 am
Im unsure if the protection quests would count, they seem to be repeatable, but there are two versions, white and blue.
If the name of the quest is the same or it can be repeated to no end, then I wouldn't include it. Each "unique" mission should count.
The protect quests don't get put in the log as far as im aware, i'd classify them as not part of the sidequests.
Swimming:
Breaststroke - The default forward swimming method when swimming anywhere in the water.
Inverted Breaststroke - The default backward swimming method when swimming anywhere in the water. This is faster than breaststroke.
Crawlstroke - When swimming above water, press and hold your sprint key. Crane will perform a crawlstroke which is slightly faster than the breaststroke. I'm not sure if it is faster than the inverted breaststroke.
Geometry Scraping - When holding crouch or jump on an angled ceiling or floor in the water, Crane will move despite any movement keys being pressed. When combining this with a movement key, you can get the fastest movement method in water. The mechanics of this work similar to what is known in many FPS's as wallstrafing, but geometry scraping occurs horizontally instead of vertically, and only in water.
Inverted Crawlstroke - [I didn't test explicitly this so I don't know if it exists. I think Crane might only do the inverted breaststroke when swimming backwards.]

So far, the fastest swimming method is the inverted breaststroke with geometry scraping. However, the speed gain between inverted and non-inverted isn't worth it when there is a lot to navigate around, such as the entrance to The Museum. However, in 100%, the bay is quite large and has nearly no obstacles, so it would be worth it to do inverted there. But, I'm not sure generally how much you need to be in the water. From my testing, there isn't anything in the deep water other than the items below the bridge.
100% there are 2 visits to the bay, 1 for Fallon's Camera in the car during Survivor's Guide to Zombieland and a second for the Zombie Statue by the collapsed bridge road. The first isn't very far from a grapple point to get up, useful for the longer swim from the statue though.
I was watching Nord's run to learn the glitches and accidentally found an easier setup for the first oob in The Clinic when trying to copy his and failing at it.

Ignore me if this is the way you are already supposed to do it.

So now there is at least 3 ways to do that OOB, the way I was using is on the right end of the hallway, jumping from the pipe towards the wall and pulling up on the block.
Good news! 2 parts.

1. I got a new PB!
RTA: 2:19:42
IGT: 2:15:53
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/demonstrate86/c/6106163
YouTube
Part 1:

Part 2:

2. So... when I was testing, I accidentally caused the grapple flying glitch. And, I was like, "Oh no!" After I said that, I immediately ran into a zombie. I was shocked! We have our grapple flying cancel.
The last portion of extraction was unbelievable, and lets hope we can find some good things to do with the flying glitch.
Does anyone have any tips for doing the stash glitch fast?, im a snail compared to all of you.
After several attempts, I was finally able to make a composite image of the Slums map. There are several places where the stitching is off. Overall, it still should be usable for general routing and such. I had to write an AutoHotkey script to be able to create this as accurate as it is. The image is 4679 x 3358 pixels.

Slums Map