List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-08-06 07:47:35 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-06 07:47:20 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-06 07:47:08 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Hey everyone, since the games submission date is coming in about 1 and a half weeks, here's a quick guide on descriptions. I've added this info to the bottom of the first post.

When describing a game, you should be short, to the point, and specific. While that might sound hard, there's not actually a whole lot you have to say.

Here's an example of a good game submission (Mighty Switch Force) from Duke Bilgewater:

A fast-paced puzzle platformer speedrun. NG+ uses "Mighty Jumping", a method of bunny hopping by abusing the Mighty Buster (http://bombch.us/XYt).The 5 bonus levels would be a good donation incentive. Maybe a race with Iongravirei.

It's short, descriptive, the movement/tricks are explained, and there was even spare space for a donation incentive (this is optional).

Here are some phrases I would advise against.

"I worked really hard on this" - I hope you did, or you are going to, or else your run shouldn't even be considered in the first place.

"Cult-Classic" - While there are many cult-classic games, I have seen this applied to any game that isn't very popular. Generally cult-classic games already have a certain sort of popularity (like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil), and don't even need to be mentioned that they are cult-classic games.

"This game has a lot of skill or tech" - This isn't specific. What about the skill or tech shines through? Is it fast? Are there a lot of glitches? What kind of glitches? (warps, clips, zips, etc.) Looks graceful?

"This game is an exciting/hype/amazing/insert adjective here watch" - What about the game makes it a good watch? Fast? Glitches? Just saying it's a good watch is not going to convince me.

Regarding submission questions.

Flash games: You can submit these, but the points made by Cool Matty are valid. Also, we've never accepted a flash game into a marathon before, so take that into consideration.

MilesTheWolfman: I'm pretty sure I know what you're running and PJ will kill you if he's on the couch. However, you just have to balance making fun of your game without going overboard.

gusmancini: That's fine.

Axel224: An 8 minute difference is huge for a game that short.

Marjasin: What Cool Matty said, minimizing setup time is a better aim than filling setup time for interviews, especially since those interviews could add more setup time if setup is fast enough.

Znernicus: Omnigamer, Vulajin, and Cool Matty all made the points that I would have made.
Obscure games ftw
If you're not sure if you're able to go completely yet, should you still submit runs?  If so, when would be the latest you would want to find out?

I find myself in a similar position to last year where I had to back out at the last minute and don't want to get a reputation for having to pull out, but at the same time things are looking better this year compared to last year.  Should I submit games with about a 50% chance of being able to go?  I'd know by the end of September one way or the other-would this generally be a spam sort of submission due to the unsureness?
< ^ > < ^ >
Quote from I have no name:
If you're not sure if you're able to go completely yet, should you still submit runs?  If so, when would be the latest you would want to find out?

I find myself in a similar position to last year where I had to back out at the last minute and don't want to get a reputation for having to pull out, but at the same time things are looking better this year compared to last year.  Should I submit games with about a 50% chance of being able to go?  I'd know by the end of September one way or the other-would this generally be a spam sort of submission due to the unsureness?

Quote from UraniumAnchor:
You don't have to commit to attend right away, you can offer your stuff and then drop out later (the sooner you let us know, the better, obviously, especially if your game is long), so don't let that stop you from offering stuff.

with twitch now making only a 2 hr max for highlights (or VOD I forget).  Is that being planned into the marathon? (ie 2 hr blocks when feasible)
Obscure games ftw
Everything in the marathon is locally recorded anyway, so it all ends up mirrored on youtube in whatever length of time the exact run is.
Not a walrus
Quote from hello:
with twitch now making only a 2 hr max for highlights (or VOD I forget).  Is that being planned into the marathon? (ie 2 hr blocks when feasible)

You'll still have 90 days to watch the broadcasts on Twitch since we have partner, and we don't highlight stuff on Twitch anyway, we just upload it to archive.org and Youtube.
Quote from mike89:
Just a heads up, that game has a record closer to 25 minutes now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7gDu8yOT3s

Lots of new stuff since my run, I'd highly recommend learning all of it, because it makes the game a much better watch!

Oh ok, thanks Mike! Your run was great as well! Learned a lot of good tips from it. I do have a question for you though concerning the run if that's okay?
Quote from mikwuyma:
Flash games: You can submit these, but the points made by Cool Matty are valid. Also, we've never accepted a flash game into a marathon before, so take that into consideration.

Binding of Isaac was a flash game.
Edit history:
OtakuSRL: 2014-08-07 02:46:09 am
< ^ > < ^ >
Quote from me:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Binding of Isaac was a flash game.

Quote:
It was released on Steam on September 28, 2011.

Interesting thing Mike posted, though. Tongue Never knew that. Hmph.
It being released on steam has nothing to do with it being a flash game.
Okay I should have clarified that by saying a browser-based flash game. I forgot about Binding of Isaac.
Not a walrus
When I play Pause Ahead I play it in IrfanView, does that still count?
One of the games i plan on submitting is downloadable, so i'll have to bring a Flash drive with me. I've been getting very good and consistent at it, not to mention that i've been finding a lot more new strats and my time has been getting cut down A LOT. The run isn't too terribly intereseting up until World 2, where you get the run power-up and everything speeds up and becomes more watchable. However, nobody else seems to run this game and i don't know who to have on the couch to commentate. In that case, can anyone just join right in and commentate however they like, or do i have to specifically choose commentators for the run?
Is PJ
Quote from PotatoGrenades:
One of the games i plan on submitting is downloadable, so i'll have to bring a Flash drive with me. I've been getting very good and consistent at it, not to mention that i've been finding a lot more new strats and my time has been getting cut down A LOT. The run isn't too terribly intereseting up until World 2, where you get the run power-up and everything speeds up and becomes more watchable. However, nobody else seems to run this game and i don't know who to have on the couch to commentate. In that case, can anyone just join right in and commentate however they like, or do i have to specifically choose commentators for the run?

Assuming your game makes it in (which is a large assumption at this point), you more or less have complete say over the couch commentary.  You can pick some friends to sit on the couch and support you, you could teach some other runners/friends about your run and the tricks so they can fill in with commentary, or you can just leave it open and interested parties will volunteer.
Uhhhh 10
Hi there, I have a couple of questions:

- I will 100% be able to attend AGDQ 2015 but my next round of classes is starting during the marathon. Should I include the date(s) I intend to be there in my submission, or is this something that is discussed after games are picked?

- How does the games history in GDQ's affect submissions? The game I plan on submitting was ran at SGDQ 2013 (Ecco 2) and I remember seeing "this was already run at a [previous GDQ]" as a reason for rejection during some of the cuts for SGDQ 2014.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-08-08 05:31:59 am
Dolfinh: you can include dates in your submission but if your game is accepted I'll be going over scheduling conflicts later.

Games history: Depends on the game. Some games like super Metroid are in every marathon, but others make appearances less often.

Also, I changed the end date to September 3rd because I'll be out at PAX on the 31st.
Uhhhh 10
Quote from mikwuyma:
Dolfinh: you can include dates in your submission but if your game is accepted I'll be going over scheduling conflicts later.

Games history: Depends on the game. Some games like super Metroid are in every marathon, but others make appearances less often.

Also, I changed the end date to September 3rd because I'll be out at PAX on the 31st.

Alright. Thanks for the info~
So exactly how do I submit a game?
Quote from Monkoloko:

By reading the first post.
Quote from TheMG2:
Quote from Monkoloko:

By reading the first post.

Oh thanks, for some reason I didn't see that :/
Edit history:
Radman: 2014-08-15 01:56:02 pm
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Real talk for me. I'll only be submitting one game since my prospect to learn a new game didn't pan out as well. I can't get it up to a marathon standard. Sadface. Sad
Hey everyone, I decided to delay the submission date by 24 hours because I want to test the site more and make sure it's ready come submission time. Sorry for the delay, but I want to make sure there are as few hitches as possible.

Here's a screenshot of what submissions will look like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41063/sda/submission_form2.png
Fucking Weeaboo
Are you testing out THE BOOST to make sure it works? Tongue
Edit history:
Blood Thunder: 2014-08-15 05:31:56 pm
How will multiple categories for the same game work? Even though I won't be affected, I remember this being a problem when submitting for sgdq2014 and certain runners who may run several different categories.
Matt and I have discussed this Blood Thunder, and it's either between increasing the character limit to accommodate for other categories within a game, or adding slots solely for other categories, which would likely get abused for trying to add more games.

I am personally siding with increasing the character limit to 400 characters.