<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I'm really happy this got extended. Gives me time to improve my PBs, looking forward to attending regardless.
Uhhhh 10
All this hype.

It's time to show people what an Ecco speedrun is really all about.
Do you guys want prize/bid war/incentive ideas with the submissions or would you rather have those once the selection process is finished?
Just curious, why is the submission period so short?  It always is but I never knew why.

Also, is there some advantage to submit as early as possible?  In other words, is there any kind of first come first served thing happening?
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-07-16 01:42:22 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
So I forgot to mention there will be a section of the form where you fill in the console and game version.

Saintmillion: You can include those with the submissions, but we're not adding extra space to your description to accommodate for them.

duckfist: The vast majority of submissions come within the first couple of days and they slow down a lot past that time period. I don't think additional weeks would really increase submissions, I think it would just delay the small final push at the end when a couple of people submit games at the last minute.. And no, there isn't any sort of first-come first-served thing.
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
Yipee, gives me time to attempt to route out the final level of a game I've been working on and record an updated version of another run.  First time planning on making it to a GDQ, hope it will go well.
Pronounced "Cue", not "Caillou"
I figure this might be a good place to ask, though I'm not entirely sure.

I get how the regular stream works regarding submissions, but how does organization regarding the bonus stream work? Is that scheduled as well?
StarSong Hype
Quote from KyuuGryph:

I get how the regular stream works regarding submissions, but how does organization regarding the bonus stream work? Is that scheduled as well?

No schedule for bonus stream
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from KyuuGryph:

You don't submit games for bonus stream. Bonus stream should never be counted on for anything you want to do. It's likely going to be non-speedrun content and the like at AGDQ, we haven't fully decided yet. But we will definitely not be using submissions to make a bonus schedule.
Ah, okay. I was just wondering, thanks. Smiley
Actually, I have a pretty good idea of what I want for bonus stream. I was going to create a separate topic for it, but since people are asking here, I might as well answer.

I want bonus stream to be a (loosely) scheduled stream with about 24 hours of non-speedrunning content. This can include side tournament finals such as Fighting Masters and Melee. It can also include games such as Mario Party or other party games, possibly a blind playthrough of something that's really bad but funny to see people suffer through (like Toki), and possibly even a Q&A session.

The purpose of setting up bonus stream this way is to make it more casual and fun like it was back in the day, and to solve how unsustainable it is.

I know some people will be mad about this change, because a lot of people have the mentality of, "well I didn't get my game in the main marathon, but I can get it in bonus stream," but as I said before, that's not what bonus stream was about, or should be about. Bonus stream back in the past was just a way to stream and relax after we were done with a marathon.

Also, the way bonus stream is handled now doesn't work. It barely worked at AGDQ because Hannah spent time organizing it (and frankly she should have rested instead), and it didn't work at SGDQ because no one on staff cared. If we continue the path of letting people speedrun games with no real schedule, it'll just create more conflict and arguments about who gets to run in such a small amount of time.

By the way, if people are wondering why only a 24 hour period, it's because the teardown this SGDQ was very nice and relaxed since I had a full day and lots of good help thanks to people such as yeti and vanish mantle. It was much better than the AGDQ teardown.

Now if this new bonus stream doesn't work, then I'll just nuke bonus stream because it's not worth having bonus stream if no one is having any fun.
Gets the cake.
Quote from mikwuyma:
non-speedrunning content

Rockband or Riot.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Actually, I have a pretty good idea of what I want for bonus stream. I was going to create a separate topic for it, but since people are asking here, I might as well answer.

I want bonus stream to be a (loosely) scheduled stream with about 24 hours of non-speedrunning content. This can include side tournament finals such as Fighting Masters and Melee. It can also include games such as Mario Party or other party games, possibly a blind playthrough of something that's really bad but funny to see people suffer through (like Toki), and possibly even a Q&A session.

The purpose of setting up bonus stream this way is to make it more casual and fun like it was back in the day, and to solve how unsustainable it is.

I know some people will be mad about this change, because a lot of people have the mentality of, "well I didn't get my game in the main marathon, but I can get it in bonus stream," but as I said before, that's not what bonus stream was about, or should be about. Bonus stream back in the past was just a way to stream and relax after we were done with a marathon.

Also, the way bonus stream is handled now doesn't work. It barely worked at AGDQ because Hannah spent time organizing it (and frankly she should have rested instead), and it didn't work at SGDQ because no one on staff cared. If we continue the path of letting people speedrun games with no real schedule, it'll just create more conflict and arguments about who gets to run in such a small amount of time.

By the way, if people are wondering why only a 24 hour period, it's because the teardown this SGDQ was very nice and relaxed since I had a full day and lots of good help thanks to people such as yeti and vanish mantle. It was much better than the AGDQ teardown.

Now if this new bonus stream doesn't work, then I'll just nuke bonus stream because it's not worth having bonus stream if no one is having any fun.

Ahh, okay. Makes sense, sounds good to me. Smiley

Kinda off-topic, but personally, I was wondering because while I'd love to attend and maybe even run a game at a GDQ, due to personal issues I'm not in a position where I'd feel comfortable with committing to attending this far in advance.

Anyways, not a big deal, I was just curious. Thanks!
Not a walrus
You don't have to commit to attend right away, you can offer your stuff and then drop out later (the sooner you let us know, the better, obviously, especially if your game is long), so don't let that stop you from offering stuff.
Edit history:
TrUShade: 2014-07-19 02:28:22 am
The TrUest of Shades
Quote from mikwuyma:
I know some people will be mad about this change, because a lot of people have the mentality of, "well I didn't get my game in the main marathon, but I can get it in bonus stream," but as I said before, that's not what bonus stream was about, or should be about. Bonus stream back in the past was just a way to stream and relax after we were done with a marathon

If i make it to AGDQ I wouldn't mind helping run the bonus stream. Last two sgdq I have gone to I have started with helping out the bonus stream both times and would love to help out that part.

And ya a bonus stream schedule in another forum and have it ready before the days of the marathon would probably help cause then people can see what is going to be happening on bonus stream

*Fixing my bad quote*
To the guy who asked about not being 100% sure he can make it: As long as if you tell us well ahead of time (a month+) whether you can make it or not, then that's fine. If you wait until 2 weeks or less (or don't tell us at all), let's just say we're not going to be impressed by your reliability and your chance of getting a game the next marathon goes down to nearly zero, unless if you have a valid excuse (family, medical, and/or personal emergency, etc.).

TrUShade: Cool! However, I should emphasize that even if staff wasn't burned out or we had a separate bonus stream staff, the issue of people trying to cram games into a very limited timeslot still applies.
The TrUest of Shades
Quote from mikwuyma:
TrUShade: Cool! However, I should emphasize that even if staff wasn't burned out or we had a separate bonus stream staff, the issue of people trying to cram games into a very limited timeslot still applies.

Yah that is understandable. I should have quoted that better.  What i meant by that is that ya another forum would totally work better to at least people know a good idea of what is going to be on bonus stream. Sorry for misquoting stuff... And just having an actual schedule will allow people to know what is happening and not being able to say they are next.
That's "Mr." Speedrunner, to you
Is there a good example of what a clean and well formatted submission looks like? I'm sure that not only myself, but many others, would want to have a template so when they submit they don't look silly.
twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
Quote from BubblesDelFuego:
Is there a good example of what a clean and well formatted submission looks like? I'm sure that not only myself, but many others, would want to have a template so when they submit they don't look silly.

Quote from PX_:
Advice: Wait a few days and read what other people submit
Not a walrus
It'll be a form anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to format it correctly. Just make sure to pack in as much detail as you can, especially for stuff that might not be as well known.

That said, you can always look at past threads and see what people sent in before it got turned into a form.
Insane Killer Robot
Quote from mikwuyma:
To the guy who asked about not being 100% sure he can make it: As long as if you tell us well ahead of time (a month+) whether you can make it or not, then that's fine. If you wait until 2 weeks or less (or don't tell us at all), let's just say we're not going to be impressed by your reliability and your chance of getting a game the next marathon goes down to nearly zero, unless if you have a valid excuse (family, medical, and/or personal emergency, etc.).

So, I'm a culprit of not informing you guys about coming to SGDQ, and I don't really have an excuse (I pretty much dropped the ball on that one). I'm sorry I didn't say anything, I had thought I did but it turns out I hadn't. What I'm wondering is if there is anything one can do to redeem themselves so they do have a chance of being considered for future marathons. I really would like to participate in AGDQ.
I didn't see anything about this in OP, but are you able to request a time slot for your game to be early/later in the marathon if you only plan on going for a set number of days. So for example, if I was only going to be there for 5 days, would I be able to add into my pitch a request to do my run on day two or three or will that all be decided when the different "blocks" are decided?

Thanks in advance, I'm just worried because if I happen to attend, and got a game in, travelling from the UK (also being my first time abroad) I'd worry myself to death about missing a flight and being stuck in a foreign country because of bad timing of my run.
Not a walrus
Yes, if you have a limited schedule it can probably be accomadated.
Okay thank you for clearing that up.
Edit history:
Crak Atak: 2014-07-21 03:25:54 am
Hax I used all of my strengthz
What if I want to do co-op or races that someone else submitted, would that count as my 5 submissions as well? And should I put it as one of my submissions if so?