<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
#FailFish
What's the skill level that's required for submissions?  Do runners need to be elite/close-to-WR capable in order to do a run?
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Antilles58:
What's the skill level that's required for submissions?  Do runners need to be elite/close-to-WR capable in order to do a run?

There's no hard limit, but you should definitely be well versed in the game and be getting very good times. Obviously if someone is getting a better time than you, they might be selected.
Quote from Antilles58:

You need to be at least competent at the game and not die a million times or go an hour over estimate. Tongue

You don't have to be super elite (it's not like we have all of the WR holders at every marathon) but like Cool Matty said, runners with better times will probably get priority.

As I said, there's a reason I'm not submitting for games like SoTN or Link Between Worlds even though I have times for those games. Tongue
I know this a stupid question, but are flash games/fangames allowed to be submitted? I'm planning on submitting Rayman Legends Wii U Any%, but i was also considering submitting two flash games that i run that i think would make a pretty decent run at a GDQ. One is not even 20 mintues long, while the other one is about 1 hour and 20 to 1:30, and they're both flash games. I have WR in both, so i thought i'd be able to submit them, but i don't know if they'll get accepted when i submit it.
Quote from PotatoGrenades:
I know this a stupid question, but are flash games/fangames allowed to be submitted? I'm planning on submitting Rayman Legends Wii U Any%, but i was also considering submitting two flash games that i run that i think would make a pretty decent run at a GDQ. One is not even 20 mintues long, while the other one is about 1 hour and 20 to 1:30, and they're both flash games. I have WR in both, so i thought i'd be able to submit them, but i don't know if they'll get accepted when i submit it.

Every person gets up to 5 runs to submit. So unless you already have 5 games, there's no harm in submitting. Just be aware that the game's entertainment as a run and popularity do factor in somewhat (although not exclusively) for choices.
King of the Choads
So, with submitting a game for the Awful block, would someone cracking jokes about it and generally destroying the game in a way that's funny be considered entertainment? The game I'm planning on submitting is fairly quick, less than 45 minutes and I think everyone would have a ball in making fun of it. I know it's hysterical to me, and I have a donation incentive planned for it. It can't hurt to submit it anyway, I know, just kind of sending out the feelers to find out criteria for the Awful Block.
Quote from MilesTheWolfman:
So, with submitting a game for the Awful block, would someone cracking jokes about it and generally destroying the game in a way that's funny be considered entertainment? The game I'm planning on submitting is fairly quick, less than 45 minutes and I think everyone would have a ball in making fun of it. I know it's hysterical to me, and I have a donation incentive planned for it. It can't hurt to submit it anyway, I know, just kind of sending out the feelers to find out criteria for the Awful Block.

So long as you don't go overboard and still explain stuff in the run, I think it would be fine.
Edit history:
PJ: 2014-08-02 03:09:09 pm
Is PJ
Making fun of your game is a dangerous thing.  If you're just hating on your game for the entire run, it is really really not received well.  There are definitely ways to present it to get around this, but it can be a dangerous game if your plan going into it is to just bash the game for most of the run.
King of the Choads
Quote from PJ:
Making fun of your game is a dangerous thing.  If you're just hating on your game for the entire run, it is really really not received well.  There are definitely ways to present it to get around this, but it can be a dangerous game if your plan going into it is to just bash the game for most of the run.

If everything goes as planned, you not only know what I'm submitting, but I'd be requesting you on the couch as well. Tongue
Talk to the Hand
Quote from MilesTheWolfman:
If everything goes as planned, you not only know what I'm submitting, but I'd be requesting you on the couch as well. Tongue

I think I just figured it out.
I know this is also a dumb question, but my friend Nindiddeh wants to run a game there, but he's 14 and afraid that there's an age requirement for going in. Is there one? (FYI Diddeh has the SM3DW Any% WR). Are the submissions gonna be right here on the forums once August 16th comes around?
Not a walrus
I don't know if there's an age requirement for actually playing (can't recall off the top of my head, I don't think it's ever come up), but if he's that young he's going to need a parent in attendance to go at all. As for where submissions will be, you should probably read the first post more carefully.
< ^ > < ^ >
Is there some specific way to submit something as an incentive? Just wondering if this would happen now, or later.
That'll happen later.  You can mention them in your description, but after the game list is decided, there will be a topic asking for incentives in the games that were accepted.
I currently own a JP version of a game and use a converter and a dummy cart to play it on my top loader NES instead of a famicom the game works 100% im wondering would this be ok at a GDQ or would i need to play the JP game on a famicom instead of an NES its no big deal i just wanna lower my chances of damaging the game
Hey, I had a question. This would be my first year submitting and I was curious that if a game I was running had a WR of 27 minutes and I could run it (at worst) 35 mins would that be considered for a run submission?

Thanks!
< ^ > < ^ >
Quote from axel224:
Hey, I had a question. This would be my first year submitting and I was curious that if a game I was running had a WR of 27 minutes and I could run it (at worst) 35 mins would that be considered for a run submission?

Thanks!

Seems close enough, I guess it just depends what type of game it is and if like an eight minute difference is "huge" in that run, or fairly small. It isn't too hard to tell. Tongue I guess it just depends on how far you have it ground down, man. Haha.

Enjoy!

Smiley
thanks Otaku, well I understand it depends on the game and stuff. It's for Quackshot starring Donald Duck on the Sega Genesis, it was the game I was thinking of running
SEGA Junkie
Just a heads up, that game has a record closer to 25 minutes now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7gDu8yOT3s

Lots of new stuff since my run, I'd highly recommend learning all of it, because it makes the game a much better watch!
This is not really regarding game submissions, but more for me as a regular viewer but not a speedrunner myself. I have been watching SGDQ and AGDQ for a few years and I have really seen a development. But one thing that became very clear for me during ESA2014 is that setup time between games are really boring to watch. I tuned in to watch some of my favourite games when the run was finished there was at some points 10+ minutes of setup time and that made me loose interest. If that would have been smoother I would have been more likely to stick around and watch the next game.

I would like to see more content in between games. Replays of runs, post game interviews/analysis e t c. Like when you are watching a sporting event and they have a studio host to fill the gaps during half time e t c. One thing I think ESA did great was the daily recaps. I would like that for AGDQ.

I also think that splits are a big part of speedrunning and even if marathon runs arent likely to break any records it would still be interesting to compare runs with current WR/runners PB. This also applies to races. When to users are racing against eachother it would be great to have a few points in the run when they are measured against eachother. Like runner A was 12 seconds ahead at split 2 but is now only 3 seconds ahead at split 4.

Thats my 15 cent.
Quote from marjasin:

I would like to see more content in between games. Replays of runs, post game interviews/analysis e t c.

Ideally we'd like to have the game just be ready to go as fast as possible. That said, some things like replays would be a massive undertaking. There's no real infrastructure or software support for that sort of thing. Broadcast TV has dedicated, very expensive hardware (read: $10,000+) that allows them to do stuff like that on the fly. And none of it supports 240p either.

Interviews and such of course require people willing to do it. I also don't think it'd be very appropriate or entertaining to watch a 2 minute interview after every single run.
This might not be the place to discuss this, but how will Twitch's recent changes (VOD destruction) affect SDA's marathon streaming? Are we dependent on twitch for streaming or is gamesdonequick.com self-sustaining in that respect? Is there any possibility that we will be streaming on a different site?
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2014-08-06 05:28:55 pm
As was discussed in a previous edition of one of these threads, there is no competing service that offers anywhere near the level of bandwidth/distribution needed to stream this event to everyone who wants to watch it. Operating such a service is ludicrously cost-prohibitive, there's no way SDA could manage that by ourselves.
All the things
I don't see how changes to VODs or VOD audio scanning will affect our live events. We keep local copies of everything anyway; even if every VOD SDA makes from now on gets audio clipped, the originals will still be in-hand and find their way to YouTube or be distributed by SDA.
Quote from znernicus:
This might not be the place to discuss this, but how will Twitch's recent changes (VOD destruction) affect SDA's marathon streaming? Are we dependent on twitch for streaming or is gamesdonequick.com self-sustaining in that respect? Is there any possibility that we will be streaming on a different site?

It doesn't change anything, really. And there's no usable alternatives. We have way, way too many viewers.