Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1, 2 ... 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
I really didn't understand that you wanted a naming incentive for every frickin Pokémon out there. Those used most are clearly enough. If you rea~lly wanted, you could have added an incentive along the lines of 'if you want to name other pokémon, we need at least 100 (200? 500?) dollars of donations on that name, before we consider it'?
Not necessarily advocating to put 151 blue back into this AGDQ, just wanted to add something worth considering …
It'd be awesome to see Pikmin 1 in a future marathon, but this year if it had to be one or the other I agree 3's the way to go. Similarly, I hope we see Skyward Sword in a marathon sometime but it's definitely the weakest 3D Zelda.

Really hyped for some of this stuff, don't have any major problems with the cuts.
Haters gonna hate
RIP Tomba.....
While I'm not crushed sm64 got cut, perhaps you could consider making it a 1 handed 16 star as a bonus game instead. That's more like 30 minutes tops and doesn't run the risk of wearing out the gimmick like it would over the duration of a 70 star run. Plus, 1 handed BLJ's are hilarious. Something to consider if you're looking to fill gaps if anyone drops out.
Edit history:
Paradox Karl: 2013-09-07 02:21:37 pm
Quote from Paradox Karl:
I really don't understand the reasoning for having pokemon heartgold over 151 pokemon blue. You say that there would be problems processing donations for naming 90+ pokemon, but surely the most obvious thing to do is limit naming to just the rival and a few pokemon that are used throughout the majority of the run (mew and gengar? also maybe trainer name, although I know the trainer name is used to mainpulate a few pokemon, those pokemon are still catchable by other slightly slower means).

Also, the sunshine reason makes no sense. As thadarkman said, the run at SGDQ was at a horrible time (alongside being after a whole bunch of really popular games and a lot of people were probably tired of watching streams for hours apon hours after sm64, metriod, alttp etc.) so obviously it wouldn't do as well as other games at better times.

Also, 8 mega man games and 6 zelda games and 6 2d mario games seems a bit excessive.

Would have really like to have seen halo 2 and banjo tooie also but what can you do :/

Also no sm64 because siglemic isn't there? 99% of people couldn't tell the difference between a 49 and a 53 in 70 star or a 1:44 and a 1:50 in 120 star so I think that is pretty bad reasoning.

I think I over used the word "also" a tiny bit. (didn't mean to quote this, mean to edit it -.-)
Quote from Paradox Karl:
Also no sm64 because siglemic isn't there? 99% of people couldn't tell the difference between a 49 and a 53 in 70 star or a 1:44 and a 1:50 in 120 star so I think that is pretty bad reasoning.

I think I over used the word "also" a tiny bit. (didn't mean to quote this, mean to edit it -.-)[/quote]

For better or worse, Siglemic has become associated with SM64 to the audience in a way few other streamers have to a game, to the point where it might not be that worthwhile to have another player play a 70 or 120 star run.  It makes sense with the time constraints to cut SM64 at least for the longer runs without Sig there. 
I thought Jazz Jackrabbit sat nicely between Sonic and MegaMan. Going fast while button mashing like crazy! But, ah well, can't win them all. Least there are some good choices getting in that I like to see! It best remain that way!

Also, as fun as a race in Doom would be, I suddenly feel a little out of my league (not primarily in terms of skill). Kubelwagon has pretty much beasted that game at marathons and Dime, well, I'm afraid of people who are crazy enough to do SS runs of Plutonia on UV. I feel a little bit like a third wheel who's afraid of going over estimate, even when I know I shouldn't. I will be around though, so if a 3 player race isn't too complicated and the 2 big guns don't mind and feel they won't completely destroy me, I can get involved.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 02:37:22 pm
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 02:35:58 pm
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 02:35:25 pm
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 02:34:52 pm
<(^_^)>
So I noticed that you've cut dragondarch's Metroid Zero Mission low% hard run from the list and replaced it with me doing MZM 100%. I honestly have to say that if done well, MZM low% hard can be an amazing marathon watch. It's definitely more impressive than metroid fusion 1%, and you've already seen from twitter that dragondarch has been working on improving his run a lot so he can bring down the estimate more (I noticed you've brought the estimate down to 2:10:00).

Both dragondarch and I want to see ddarch do MZM low% hard instead of me doing MZM 100% normal, but there is no denying that it's considerably longer and less safe. However, the only "boring" part that drags on IMO is probably tourian, with killing metroids; otherwise all the bosses are fun and really intense to watch, even if they take longer. I've also streamed MZM any% hard mode a few times, and viewers that watched me do it would say that they'd be REALLY impressed with seeing a low% hard mode run. It's an incredibly impressive feat, and if done quickly (which dragondarch will put tons of practice into), it'll look even way better (and add on that ddarch has wanted to do it since forever, and it's never been done before).

On another note, MZM 100% normal as a race would not work well. If I did MZM 100%, then I would use a very difficult route, and a race with dragondarch really wouldn't work well. There are many tricks in the route that can lose a ton of time, especially acid worm skip and hive room without long beam, and many of them are bunched in the first 5 minutes, so the race usually wouldn't look close at all after the first five minutes. Of course, we can use the option to use a more race-friendly route (no acid worm skip, early long beam) but that's honestly kinda lame.

Ultimately it's your decision mike, but I recommend waiting for dragondarch to post about MZM as well before deciding on whether you want to stick to your original decision or change it.
garik16, SM64 is such a popular game that it really doesn't need siglemic to represent it. Obviously if Siglemic was running it there would be more donations and viewers than if someone else ran it, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth having at all. Also sacrificing 1 hour of marathon time for such an action packed and cutscene-less game is easily worth it.
Not a walrus
Gombill's SGDQ2012 run had a bunch of trolls in the chat because he wasn't siglemic, so it's not an unreasonable position to take.
Pudding%
Drakkhen: Honestly fine with this. I'm honestly a little surprised it made it past first round. The only things it has going for it are naming the 4 characters (PJ proved at the Fab 4 Marathon that those CAN bring in money if hyped enough...by PJ Tongue ), and the stupid glitches. Outside of that, it's running around badly made mode 7 fields. Remaining entertainment would be from game trolling (another game where it's a better watch when someone ISN'T playing it competently). Also, it'd be > 1/6 of the entire AwfulGDQ, and there's definitely better candidates.

Castlevania: I already mentioned it on Twitter, but I can elaborate a bit more here. The 2 major roadblocks are Frankenstein and Death. No, Dracula isn't a problem. I can consistently kill him now, and even have backup strats in case things go wrong.
For Frankenstein (I wish I had a video of this): There's a way to glitch him out where he'll continuously back into the right wall, which makes easy to keep damaging him. In addition, Igor will be halfway across the room most of the time, meaning I have ample time to figure out how to get around fireballs. Glitching him out like this doesn't make the fight free, but it significantly improves the odds of getting past him. I just need to sit down and figure out exactly what causes him to do this.
For Death:
He gets Death into a pattern that makes him significantly more feasible. This is what I'd need to work on to see if it's possible to manipulate him into that pattern. The video description says it's luck, but having actually attempted this category, and watching Josh's attempts, there's actually very little that's "luck" in this game.
Again, if I can't make it marathon safe, I'm fine with the cut.

MZM Hard Low%: This is the cut I disagree with the most. When done well, this category looks quite impressive. I still need to sit down and grind out strats for each room, but I had 2 runs this past week (back to back) that were ~1:40. I also mis-forgot what my PB was - it was actually a 1:49. There's still plenty of time to be saved, and my death count is dropping like a stone.
While I'll never guarantee deathless, out of my runs this week:
Only one run had a high death count vs. Mecha Ridley, and that was the first one. The others only died once, both to careless mistakes on my part. I have JaggerG to thank for some new strats here.
No runs died to Mother Brain. My strat is actually really safe and consistent.
One run died to Kraid, due to a movement error.
Only one run died to Ridley, and it was from me being greedy.
One run had a deathless Tourian. This is the area that I need to grind the most. The first run had 3 or 4 deaths, and the most recent had a lot, but some were from careless mistakes.
Outside of those areas, deaths really aren't that common outside of stupid stuff, and most of it is improvable with practice. There'll always be a couple BS deaths, but so did Fusion.
That said, when I said I'd be able to drop that estimate by quite a bit I wasn't kidding. While I doubt it'd be as low as 100%, I'm pretty sure I could get it to a point where 2:00 would be the high estimate.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 02:49:06 pm
<(^_^)>
Basically if anyone ran SM64 that's not named sig, then he'll get hated and trolled on. The twitch chat will probably be shut down by the staff if this happened at AGDQ 2014.

EDIT: UA sniped me, never mind. Feel free to remove this post, it just adds clutter.
Haters gonna hate
Quote from Dragondarch:
MZM Hard Low%: This is the cut I disagree with the most. When done well, this category looks quite impressive. I still need to sit down and grind out strats for each room, but I had 2 runs this past week (back to back) that were ~1:40. I also mis-forgot what my PB was - it was actually a 1:49. There's still plenty of time to be saved, and my death count is dropping like a stone.
While I'll never guarantee deathless, out of my runs this week:
Only one run had a high death count vs. Mecha Ridley, and that was the first one. The others only died once, both to careless mistakes on my part. I have JaggerG to thank for some new strats here.
No runs died to Mother Brain. My strat is actually really safe and consistent.
One run died to Kraid, due to a movement error.
Only one run died to Ridley, and it was from me being greedy.
One run had a deathless Tourian. This is the area that I need to grind the most. The first run had 3 or 4 deaths, and the most recent had a lot, but some were from careless mistakes.
Outside of those areas, deaths really aren't that common outside of stupid stuff, and most of it is improvable with practice. There'll always be a couple BS deaths, but so did Fusion.
That said, when I said I'd be able to drop that estimate by quite a bit I wasn't kidding. While I doubt it'd be as low as 100%, I'm pretty sure I could get it to a point where 2:00 would be the high estimate.

I'd like to say I highly support this making it back in. It doesn't deserve to be cut.
Edit history:
dwangoAC: 2013-09-07 02:51:40 pm
Keeper of TASBot
Thanks to Corrodius I now have an N64 to play with, so I'll see if I can get the Super Mario 64 0-star TAS going as soon as I hunt down a copy of that game.  I don't know if SM64 0-star is the right game to put in the 30 minute TAS block as there might be even stronger runs worth showing but I figured I'd mention it.

A.C.
Come to think of it I'm actually a bit disappointed by Banjo-Tooie being cut in favor of Kazooie, just because I think Tooie deserves a little exposure whereas Kazooie has gotten a bit too much. But meh.
Dang trolls in a twitch chat!!

Anyway, I feel like any% in SM64 (0 star/1 star, basically just an any% run) would've been a nice pick, sig doesn't even run that.
<(^_^)>
Quote from Paraxade:
Come to think of it I'm actually a bit disappointed by Banjo-Tooie being cut in favor of Kazooie, just because I think Tooie deserves a little exposure whereas Kazooie has gotten a bit too much. But meh.

Sorry for the extra post, but I do agree 100% with this. Banjo Kazooie has been done practically every year, and while any% would showcase some major skips, Banjo Tooie has a huge number of small skips as well, especially with the Clockwork kazooie eggs, even though you still get 70 out of 90 jiggies. Example being breaking into grunty industries without using the train at all.

Anyways, banjo tooie and MZM low% hard are probably the main two cuts I disagree with, but again, you can't please everyone. Overall great job with the schedule Smiley
Quote from kirbymastah:
Quote from Paraxade:

Sorry for the extra post, but I do agree 100% with this. Banjo Kazooie has been done practically every year, and while any% would showcase some major skips, Banjo Tooie has a huge number of small skips as well, especially with the Clockwork kazooie eggs, even though you still get 70 out of 90 jiggies. Example being breaking into grunty industries without using the train at all.

Anyways, banjo tooie and MZM low% hard are probably the main two cuts I disagree with, but again, you can't please everyone. Overall great job with the schedule Smiley

It's only been run twice, last AGDQ and AGDQ 11, and I didn't even realize it was run at AGDQ11.
Quote from wersterlobe:
Dang trolls in a twitch chat!!

Anyway, I feel like any% in SM64 (0 star/1 star, basically just an any% run) would've been a nice pick, sig doesn't even run that.

Agreed. I think TASbot is doing 0 Star though, so I guess that is covered.
Quote from kirbymastah:
Quote from Paraxade:

I have to agree. Also keep in mind that NTSC any% actually doesn't use most of the major skips (it only uses the Door of Grunty skip).
rip star wars
I'm still sad with no cool 3d sonic in the list :(, but maybe next marathon?
and hyyype for the TASbot gaming Smiley
Change 100% DKR to any%, and replace those 2 hours with F-Zero and F-Zero MV.

Cut Twilight Princess (just did it), Wind Waker (did it at agdq last year) and OoT all dungeones; replace with skyward sword, zelda 2, tomba, OoT any% as bonus game and blast corps 100% race.

I am the law.
Quote from Naegleria:
Change 100% DKR to any%, and replace those 2 hours with F-Zero and F-Zero MV.

Cut Twilight Princess (just did it), Wind Waker (did it at agdq last year) and OoT all dungeones; replace with skyward sword, zelda 2, tomba, OoT any% as bonus game and blast corps 100% race.

I am the law.

Remove Athena
Edit history:
Dai: 2013-09-07 03:10:08 pm
I'm Incredibly Bunny
Quote from Paraxade:

thanks haha

already made my case to mike, I don't think I'm going to push it further, lol

basically, what's done is done, superb schedule.  here's hoping mike changes his mind