page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 11 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Only Offense Will Survive
Quote from qubit:
Congrats to sunblade for securing RE4.  I'm totally up for doing couch commentary on Metal Gear Solid, RE4 and God of War II.
Aww yeah. That is going to be awesome.
Worthless categories WR master
I actually believe that turning Minecraft into a bonus game is a good idea, I think Notch would single-handedly fill that donation incentive Grin
Guy, Gaiden, Boshy woulda been a sick back to back to back.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yeah Tenshots, that could have been really strong, but in a list this packed I don't see it happening.
Is it too late for me to submit a run of Wind Waker HD at AGDQ 2014 or are there still gaps in the schedule?
It is way too late, and trust me, if there's a gap in the schedule, it can easily be filled with what people already submitted.
Shoot, I figured 3 months away plus SGDQ just happened would've been plenty of time.  How early would you recommend submissions for AGDQ 2015, and do you have any tips on getting accepted?
For Fun! For GLORY!!
He's not gonna take subs for next years AGDQ until sometime after the next SGDQ. You'll have to wait until July-August 2014. But on the bright side, it gives you more time to refine your run. Tongue

The only tip I can offer though is pray the Micktator is merciful on you. X3
When he creates the AGDQ 2015 game suggestions/round 1 topic next year. This is the round 2 thread for AGDQ 2014. Watch the marathon discussion forum for announcements and stuff.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Sonic 2: I'm aware that neither runner is really known at the game, and it doesn't help that Kiyura posted this tweet. However, this is the most popular Sonic, and I'll give the runners a chance to see if they can get in shape. If I don't see any progress (as in actual stream and video) in a month then I'm just cutting the game because I'd rather drop the game if it can't be run to the standard of previous marathons.

The last component I needed to stream this game from console just arrived today so expect something soon.  I wouldn't stream it on emulator because the control differences throw me off, especially if I keep switching between emu and console.  Regardless, thanks for giving it a chance!
Edit history:
Cyrax: 2013-09-13 06:27:06 pm
Konkey Dong
Looking at the reasoning for FEZ being cut, I can see why it's boring to watch. However, I feel as if it shouldn't cut a game just because some/most people view the developer as an ass. If that were the case, some people could argue that point to Braid, too, but that's getting into an irrelevant discussion altogether. Not saying it was the wrong move to cut it because the reason can be justified on whether or not it's any fun to watch, but just because the dev is outspoken is kind of a bad reason.

I just thought that I'd throw in my two cents on that for whatever it's worth (other than two cents).
Strange days, incredible days
Quote from sua428:
Shoot, I figured 3 months away plus SGDQ just happened would've been plenty of time.

It may seem that way, but the only way the marathon stays organized is if everybody follows the same rules for game submission. The games topic was announced weeks in advance and the first round of scheduling and cuts (and justification and debate) has come and gone. It keeps things fair and gives the runners time to practice and finalize their travel plans.

Like TheMG2 said, keep an eye out for the game suggestions topic for SGDQ 2014/AGDQ 2015. The dates they start will be announced well ahead of time following the previous marathon.
Avid watcher
The support for Blue 151 is overwhelming.. I still can't for the life of me see why it hasn't been put back in.

I understand decisions need to be made, but sometimes you need to admit you've made a wrong decision, or if you truly don't think it's wrong, listen to the community. Pretty much everyone speaking on the Pokemon topic has vouched FOR 151.

The run is amazing; easily Werster's most popular.. and seriously, the whole 'complete the Pokedex' thing has more nostalgia appeal than any other run in the entire marathon. Considering "lack of nostalgia" was a reason for cutting other games, I don't see how that simple fact doesn't shoot Blue 151 to the top of the inclusion list.

Again, I understand why Mike has to be stubborn about some decisions so that the schedule stands.. But sometimes you also have to admit you're wrong. All these speedrunners and run-watchers can't be wrong? Smiley
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-09-14 03:27:43 am
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-09-14 03:08:23 am
Gets the cake.
I don't mean to be "that guy", and I'm certain this post is going to get ignored (I won't be offended if it does, either), but I'm really really really really disappointed that Halo 2 is being cut. I'm going to keep this brief (edit: well that failed), but here goes:

1. Halo 2 really has a huge advantage over the other halo games in that it has sword flying. No trick in any other halo game compares to this.

2. Unlike Cody Miller, Monopoli is actually really really good at Halo 2. I'm unable to vouch for his commentary, because he always seems to stream when I'm not able to be at my PC, but there are a ton of people attending the marathon that would be willing to provide commentary including myself.

I'd also like to point out that Halo Reach was a shit run because CM died to that wraith at the same spot for like 15 minutes at least. Or at least, that's what it felt like. Also Halo 1 was bad because he hadn't practiced, and he admitted that he hadn't practiced. If we're concerned that Halo won't be a good marathon game because the time can vary due to difficulty, then just make it be an easy run instead. I'd rather see an easy run of halo 2 than no run of halo 2.

3. "Too many FPS games" I don't mean to sound rude (I'm trying very very hard to not sound salty, because I'm not), but this is a pretty lame reason. Others have noted this, but compared to the zelda/mario (I want to throw sonic and megaman in there as well, honestly) there are only a handful of FPS games and they're mostly PC games. I understand that HL2 hasn't been given a proper marathon showing yet, but no offense to studio I'd rather see Halo 2 than HL2, and that's coming from someone who helped with the HL2 segmented run.

Half life 2 has some exciting moments, but there are just so many cutscenes that unless the commentary is rock solid and the runner does something interesting during them I can't see 30k viewers keeping their interest throughout. I haven't seen a stream from studio, so he could be able to provide this kind of commentary/entertainment (and I'd be willing to commentate on HL2 as well), so you can ignore me on this point if you've seen his streams. But after ravenholm and coast the run just gets plain boring. Prison is just cutscene, followed by a few minutes of combat, followed by cutscene, etc. and after city 17 there are loads of cutscenes in citadel.

Anyways, before sourceruns kicks me out I'll shut up =P

4. This also has been noted, but halo 2 is a big game. Like, it's the reason xbox live took off kinda big. I don't know very many people who have never played halo 2 at least once, and while that's a small sample size I'm sure that the whole of twitch knows at least something about the game. I understand popularity =/= donations, but the point remains that a halo 2 speedrun has the potential to generate a lot of attention.

Again, feel free to ignore me. This post became a lot bigger than I wanted it to be. Sorry if I came off as rude or salty, I'm really not. Just sorta disappointed that halo 2 isn't on the schedule =(

edit: also, about the pokemon 151 run: I'm rather fond of bellsprout...
I'd love to see DKC3 back in just because it'd be awesome to have a full classic DKC block. Tongue Would be hype.

Quote from z1mb0bw4y:
But after ravenholm and coast the run just gets plain boring. Prison is just cutscene, followed by a few minutes of combat, followed by cutscene, etc. and after city 17 there are loads of cutscenes in citadel.

Yeah, no offense meant to Studio here either, but HL2 has a lot of boring parts even before Ravenholm (intro and Black Mesa East). The actual gameplay parts of the HL2 run are incredible and I think it's worth showing at a marathon, but honestly if it comes down to either HL2 or Halo 2, the better run is definitely not HL2.
Exoray
Quote from Hazdogga:
The support for Blue 151 is overwhelming.. I still can't for the life of me see why it hasn't been put back in.

Yes there's lots of community support for Blue 151 as we've seen.
But, in order to replace HeartGold with Blue 151 (which is 2 hours longer) 2 hours would also have to be removed from the schedule. Mike can't just keep adding hours to a schedule that is already beyond full.

Now I expect loads of people with posts saying "Just remove <insert game name here> to make room, I <don't like this game/don't think it deserves a spot on the schedule/arbitrary personal reason>".
I can already say in advance that such posts aren't very helpful in any way.

A lot of people have voiced their opinions regarding the cuts of Halo 2 and the choice of pokemon game and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they, compared to other cuts made, now have a higher chance of getting into the schedule if any dropouts happen.
Hey,

I am a long time lurker, and not really an active part of the community. But I do stop by the streams quite a bit.

I wanted to weight in on the whole pokemon thing, as a casual gamers and not a speed gamer.

I would say that pokemon 151 should not be run. That HeartGold is the better choice.

1. outside of the speed gaming community. HeartGold is more popular.
2. 151 is a boring run, especially with watching the same thing being done over and over again.
3. A GB(C) game again! The nostalgia goggles are wearing off.
4. Trainer Red, yes him. The ultimate trainer. Him who has become a legendary across the interwebz. (( )) You don't defeat Red, He lets you win... ((could be a donation incentive 10k or higher))

Reason 1 is the main reason of course. HeartGold is just a lot more popular then Blue has or will ever be.

Of course the other strong reasons also stand of it being 2 extra hours. And being a technical nightmare in some respect. (( You need to be able to name all 151 pokemon. Or else you will get riots basically. Also I think it will be boring to watch Werster going to the name rater as well))

I understand that under the speed gaming community the 151 run might be popular. But in the rest of the gaming community it just is not. Please keep in mind that this charity event is watched by the whole gaming community and not only the speed gaming community.

If 151 pokemon gets in this year, I can guarantee that next year there will be no pokemon games.
professional speed gamer
Half-Life 2 is a really bad speedgame. It has ~40 minutes of cutscenes and ~85 minutes of gameplay. Sure the parts where you go fast are really neat the first time you see them, but the initial appeal of the ABH trick wears off fast. The only part with that true wow-factor is coast, and that lasts maybe a grand total of 5 minutes.

Coast is also pretty rough and only truly entertaining if you nail it. Some of the parts in coast can be extremely unreliable no matter how hard you practice, and reloading a save over and over on the same/multiple tricks will kill that wow-factor within no time. I'm not trying to insult Studio as a player, this is capable of happening to anyone.

Halo 2 would be a much better fit and it would shave off a bit of time from the schedule. It also has the same big-name factor that Half-Life 2 does, if not more so.

Sorry Studio
Edit history:
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 05:11:02 pm
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 05:09:21 pm
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 05:07:51 pm
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 05:06:03 pm
Quote from DutchBlondenessofDoom:
Hey,
Reason 1 is the main reason of course. HeartGold is just a lot more popular then Blue has or will ever be.

This statement isnt even almost true. Heart Gold/ Soul Silver Combined sales world wide is 12.6 million.
Red/Blue sold 9.85 million in the US alone in by 1998. I dont know where you are getting the idea that one is more popular from, but I'm assuming that is stems from you being a younger gamer. (I don't mean that offensively)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokemon
Here is a chart detailing the games's sales. I am not sure how concrete the data is, but it is a fact that first gen pokemon is by far the most selling generation and it holds the highest nostalgia factor to the most number of people. Factoring in pokemon Yellow, first gen outsold HG/SS by more than triple.

Thanks everybody for the support, and I understand the comparison that this game is getting to Half Life 2, but I really dont want studio to be cut in favor of readding my run. I will just wait to see if anybody drops, or Mike makes an exception to readd me.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-09-14 06:21:07 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-09-14 06:20:19 pm
About re-adding games: Moooh brings up a good point. I'm not at the point where I can just start adding games again. In fact, I still have about 3-4 hours I still need to cut. That is why I'm constantly saying I'm squeezed for time.

Z1m: 1. That is true and it definitely makes Halo 2 a better watch than other Halo games.

2. I've talked about this before and no I don't think Cody performed great on Reach, but it was passable and he practiced a lot.

3. A quick glance on the schedule says we have at least 10 hours of FPS/similar games and that's if you don't count Borderlands 2. Even with all of that Mega Man, that's still only 6 and a half hours and Mega Man has done well in marathons past. There's not much Sonic (and there's a chance that Sonic 2 might get the axe), and if you're going to go after Zelda and Mario, well they've been very successful in marathons past.

Does Half-Life 2 have the cutscenes? Yes it does, but Halo 2 also has slower movement (hey you're not sword flying all of the time), a decent amount of elevator/autoscroller sequences, and some cover shooting. I'm not saying those are as bad as cutscenes, but I am saying Halo 2 is a not a perfect game either, even with the sword flying, grenade boosts, and oob glitches (I've watched part of Monopoli's run and I'm going to watch more soon, it's a pretty good watch). Both games are very popular and debating which one is more popular is pretty silly if you ask me. If I'm adding Halo 2, it's not to cut out Half-Life 2.

4. This is something I'm also aware of, but I don't know if that popularity translates into a speedrun audience, since Xbox live does not mean single-player and speedrun interest. That being said, Halo 2 is higher on my list of games to add back in if people start dropping out.

And no Z1m, you are not being rude or Salty.

Pokemon 151 vs Heart Gold: Entertainment aside (I'm not going to weigh in because I don't know), the big thing I don't like about 151 is the logistics. We could debate whether 151 is a better draw for the entire 5 hours (maybe people will be hype because of all of the pokemon caught, or maybe they'll get tired of the repetition, we don't know), but the fact is the logistics problem of having many pokemon to name is real, and if we don't offer up many pokemon to name, then donations-wise, Heart Gold is very similar to 151, but two hours shorter.

Am I saying 151 is a bad offer? No, but Heart Gold is much simpler and less of a headache for logistics, so I'd rather stick with that. Werster even admitted it is a better speedrun.

If I were to add two hours of game, I'd rather have it be a game that I cut like Halo 2 or DKC3 rather than extra Pokemon, because even with Heart Gold we already have 3 and a half hours of Pokemon, which is more pokemon than we've had in a marathon yet.

Monopoli: Thank you for staying civil.

Since people are curious how Halo Reach did in terms of donations. I don't have the actual database on me, but I do have some charts with the actual data, including a pie chart that says how much of the % raised went to a single game. http://thps3.net/AGDQ2/PieChartTotalDonationsPerGame.png

Upon first glance, Halo Reach did really well because 2.84% of 149k is $4231.60. However, that amount doesn't factor in the fact that one guy donated $343 for stages Cody beat, and he donated 8 times ($343 x 8 = $2744), which means the game really raised $1487.60, which is not very good for a 3+ hour run.  I won't lie, Reach's slow donations is one factor that is making me hesitate about Halo 2. That being said, if space frees up, I think Halo 2 is worth trying, it's faster-paced and even if it somehow bombs (which I doubt because it's faster-paced), it's less time spent than Reach.
Edit history:
BaronHaynes: 2013-09-14 06:20:35 pm
Strange days, incredible days
Half-Life 2's downtime during cutscenes don't automatically make it a bad candidate for a marathon. Only the ones in the citadel restrict player movement for any length of time, and there's plenty to talk about (and donations to get caught up on) during that. There's a lot of silliness the player can get up to while waiting for a conversation to end, and knocking NPCs on the head to speed them along never gets old.

I'm betting the game's high-profile nature means that most viewers will be at least somewhat familiar with it, and interested in seeing it played in a marathon setting. While it's being run, they won't be thinking about the ratio of cutscene to gameplay in a single-segment route and how it compares to other FPSes that could've been on the schedule instead. The chat will be talking about the game, reminiscing, reacting, all that stuff. Halo 2 might have a better technical showcase, in terms of skill or setpieces (I'm not familiar with it, so I can't compare), but I think Half-Life 2 is more of an "event" game. People are interested in seeing the game played and talked about as much as it being run. That tends to outweigh any downtime in the route.
Quote from Monopoli:
[
This statement isnt even almost true. Heart Gold/ Soul Silver Combined sales world wide is 12.6 million.
Red/Blue sold 9.85 million in the US alone in by 1998. I dont know where you are getting the idea that one is more popular from, but I'm assuming that is stems from you being a younger gamer. (I don't mean that offensively)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokemon
Here is a chart detailing the games's sales. I am not sure how concrete the data is, but it is a fact that first gen pokemon is by far the most selling generation and it holds the highest nostalgia factor to the most number of people. Factoring in pokemon Yellow, first gen outsold HG/SS by more than triple.

Yes, I am offended as I am 26 and not a younger gamer. I am not talking about sales. But yes red and blue combinded had about 11 million world wide. Please never ever use vgsales wikia again, as they love to use dubious sources. The normal wikipedia is a better source then that. But lets be a bit generous with the numbers as say 12 million with red and blue alone. ((or Red and Green if you prefer)) You could indeed add yellow, which adds if you want to be generous again  8 million.

But yes indeed in sale wise the games have sold more. ((HeartGold and SoulSilver sold only 12 million combined)) I am not looking at the sales popularity.  I am looking for popularity that comes on the internet. Which is views, trending topics, etc, etc. In those cases HeartGold will come out on top.

I will take back my statement of blue/red/yellow having never being more popular then HeartGold and SoulSilver, as sales figures can indeed be used for that. And then they win with their combined strength.

But that is that, I just wanted to put in my two cents. That when looking outside of the speed gaming community blue is less popular by heartgold. ((next time with pie charts? and a pdf document?))
Edit history:
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 10:01:27 pm
Quote from mikwuyma:
Upon first glance, Halo Reach did really well because 2.84% of 149k is $4231.60. However, that amount doesn't factor in the fact that one guy donated $343 for stages Cody beat, and he donated 8 times ($343 x 8 = $2744), which means the game really raised $1487.60, which is not very good for a 3+ hour run.  I won't lie, Reach's slow donations is one factor that is making me hesitate about Halo 2. That being said, if space frees up, I think Halo 2 is worth trying, it's faster-paced and even if it somehow bombs (which I doubt because it's faster-paced), it's less time spent than Reach.

Why is it fair to completely discount the top donor? He donated an amount that is relevant to Halo, so it wasnt just a random 1 time large donation. Im sure many other games wouldnt do as well if you just ignore whoever was the top donor. Im not sure I follow the logic at all to ignore his donations.
Monopoli: Because that donor was such a ridiculous outlier. Generally games that do well do well because there are a lot of donations, and not just because of one big one (or a bunch of big ones from one donor).
Edit history:
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 10:16:25 pm
Monopoli: 2013-09-14 10:16:16 pm
Yeah, I guess I can understand that, still seems a bit wrong to completely ignore it, but I see where you are coming from.

Also, when watching my run, just remember that is the worst I have played in a very long time. I just wanted to get a full game run done quickly so that I could show you, and the result was not near as good as a marathon run would be. I can highlight the run that I completely choked at the very end, but the rest of the gameplay was pretty solid, that I did today, if you would like to see a better case scenario with greener splits and stuff.