--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Riskbreaker Y: 2009-06-28 09:51:18 pm
berserker status
That sounds like a great idea.  That's the best way to prove once and for all what the lower limit for this game would be.  I imagine you can get it under 1:40:00 probably if you can kill bosses in a few chains.  A 100% run for this game is probably too early...but i think it's pretty clear that the fastest way to do an adequate run like that would be with a beefed up data.  Def don't want to go for the 100% with a data like the one i'm about to finish.  Lips Sealed

The only question i have for you would be what would be your weapon of choice? 

Answer #1: Ultimate weapons i.e. Rhomphaia?  (great range and power + shield) Holy Win? (power and      range)

Answer #2:  Wakizashi? or a powerful one-handed hammer?  These got speed and if you're killing everything in one hit anyways why not one of these?

Alright, got some segments done and i already filled up the second memory card.  Tomorrow i'm going to my friend's place in Santa Ana to hang out and borrow his memory card so maybe there's a chance i can finish this run by this weekend, maybe not.  Yesterday i helped my sister move too so i'm really sore and tired and truthfully glad i got this segment done earlier today.  Now i want to clarify that before i reported a time of 1:32:54 when in reality i actually got 1:32:56 (these times can get mixed very easily after doing them over and over).  So even though i made it to Plateia Lumitar @ 1:32:57 this time, it's a lot better because i didn't get hit with poison status.  Some more detailed notes below after the links...

Limestone Quarry

Segment 9 (WIP 11)

Segment 9 cont'd (WIP 12)

Temple of Kiltia

Segment 10 (WIP 13)

Limestone Quarry

*it's possible for the Ogre Lord to open up with a physical attack which is preferable.  this didn't happen but i didn't get hit with a second tornado at least.

*i made a platforming error towards the end which cost me about 4 secs.  i make a stupid mistake saving too so that cost me another few seconds.

*the last two winged demon things carry silver weapons so expect to get killed a few times by them no matter what.

Temple of Kiltia

*fuck the Minotaur Lord, that is all.  At least i'm sticking to my 'no more than 3 combos' rule so far...i intend to keep it that way for the remainder.

*it's possible to avoid both the Water Elemental and the Nighstalker.  believe or don't, you just gotta follow the same rough path and 'jump,jump!'  they manage to catch me (they get you like 1/5 times it seems like) this time.  so it's possible to shave at least ten seconds from this segment...this segment is very fickle though.

*luckily, great execution and some luck before the Kali fight allowed me to keep it under 1:33:00.  i make a one second mistake though at one of the puzzles...
"Get thee gone, Darkness!!"
Quote from RiskBreaker Y:
That sounds like a great idea.  That's the best way to prove once and for all what the lower limit for this game would be.  I imagine you can get it under 1:40:00 probably if you can kill bosses in a few chains.  A 100% run for this game is probably too early...but i think it's pretty clear that the fastest way to do an adequate run like that would be with a beefed up data.  Def don't want to go for the 100% with a data like the one i'm about to finish.  Lips Sealed

The only question i have for you would be what would be your weapon of choice? 

Answer #1: Ultimate weapons i.e. Rhomphaia?  (great range and power + shield) Holy Win? (power and      range)

Answer #2:  Wakizashi? or a powerful one-handed hammer?  These got speed and if you're killing everything in one hit anyways why not one of these?

Doing a VS run in less then 1:40 even with max stats and Ultimate everything *might* likely be impossible.  It gets to a point where there is just nothing left to shave off.  You are ripping through it, running the camera angles as perfectly as possible, knowing your areas, and what not to bother with, timing the cloudstones so you are hitting them all without error, knowing what to skip cinema wise.  Knowing all this well in advance and even beating the game repeatedly say 60 times in a row, day in and day out, so the practice and know-how is all definitely there.  In a nutshell, doing everything perfectly in VS with a max stats file and Ultimate everything in a less than 1:40 run is likely impossible.  I haven't been able to do that and nobody else that's ever tried has.  If they have they sure aren't talking about it and there's no proof.  I'll mess with VS more this fall/winter again but I'd be quite content with my current run time.  I can't imagine what could be shaved off time wise. 
(This is all with the assumption that you are using VS's internal clock as the official playthrough time and not some arbitrary rules.)         

I forget what I've done the fastest (Officially Unconfirmed/Unrecorded) VS Speed Run with, weapon wise, but it was definitely an Ultimate Damascus Weapon with Arturos Gems and was most likely an Ultimate Damascus Arbalest Crossbow with 1) Arturos Gem since Crossbows can only hold one Gem.  Regardless, it's overkill.  Like you said, killing everything in 1 hit anyways, the Arbalest has the longest range of any weapon in VS with a range of 12, fully double the range of a Holy Win, etc., etc.  Given I can't be hit anyway carrying a shield is just for eye candy and I don't usually use a shield when I run. 
(Like I said, my VS time is Unofficial, but I very well know what the time is.)

If you have it in your inventory anyway (and I do) *I think* that your best bet is an Ultimate Damascus Arbalest Crossbow with 1 Arturos Gem, speed wise.  Nuke 'em from a distance when given no choice.  Take out the enemies, and take 'em out fast.  The added range sure doesn't hurt.  Wink

Keep up the good work!  Grin
berserker status
The Arbalest does seem like the best bet.  The range really helps but it's not like you're going to keep away with it or anything.  Regardless though, it is probably the most sure way to make sure *no* enemy ever gets in an attack...ever.  Just thinking about killing the Minotaur in the Wine Cellar from the platform above is already giving me chills!  BTW what was your fastest unofficial new game plus completion?  I'm pretty damned curious.  The more we discuss this future run the better it sounds.  Too bad you can't carry over faerie wings from a previous save though  Angry  You would be able to sequence break after the battle with Duane right over the river and skip all of Abandoned Mines B1.  I tried so many different ways to make it over but nothing worked w/o a faerie wing.
Exoray
Segment 9: Since you just need a few more hits for the water elemental in the second combo I was thinking that maybe using a vera bulb before the fight might save you some time since it might allow you finish it before the aqua blast and the second combo. All the other fights look pretty much as good as they can be. I always hated chaining dragons in the head because their swinging when they get hit distracts me from my combo timing.

Segment 10: If you have as high success rate as 4/5 to be able to avoid both the elemental and the stalker then you should really try and do so. Then again, you did get kali in one combo so maybe you'll have a hard time gaining on the total time for the segment. A few more attempts wouldn't hurt though Smiley
BTW what was your fastest unofficial new game plus completion?  I'm pretty damned curious.

1:40 
(That's 1 Hour and 40 Minutes based on VS's internal playthrough clock.) 

Yeah, the Arbelest is Long Distance "Love". Grin
berserker status
Mooh:

*Regarding the Water Elemental battle:  nahh, any benefits reaped would be offset by the time used to bring up the menu and use the item.  If i killed the Water Elemental in one of two chains after the first hit then maybe, but it took me about 9 hits in the second combo to bring him down so there's no real need to change tactics.  If you think that reducing RISK affects your ability to chain combos then that assumption is incorrect.  Enemies and bosses have individual body parts which have an inherent ability to resist chain-combos.  The Water Elemental is a bit dodgy but nothing too annoying.  Nothing i could do about that.

*On avoiding the Water Elemental and the Nighstalker at the Temple of Kiltia, you def have a good point.  out of like ten tries or something (not total, just an attempted set), i got caught by them in my final two tries (the final one being the product that you saw) so that was a tad irritating.  The problem with this segment is that something ALWAYS goes wrong.  Let me list out some things that can affect your end time here:

*The Minotaur Lord evades a shit load of chains and can really kill your run.  I've landed 30+ chains on him without even coming close to bringing him down.  The best thing you could do is just take a hit (i impact guard b/c of the one-round kill on the Last Crusader) since you survive half the time.  This lowers your HP and increases the power of Raging Ache nearly two fold.

*The Winged beast things usually cast silence, herakles, prostasia, poison mist, stun cloud, etc. most of the time so the fact that i got two physical attacks out of them almost cancels out the unfortunate luck with the Water Elemental & Nightstalker.

*I normally take down Kali in two combos so she usually gets in a tarnish on me (or worse yet a special attack that's tricky to impact guard)

So yea, as much as i would like to see a nice, clean segment here it's just too random to get perfectly.  The best you can hope for is to get good luck in certain areas like i mentioned and kick ass.  I still got my goal of sub 1:33:00 so that's what i really care about.

AshleyRiot2006:

That's a mighty fine time you got there.  If you say it's pretty much impossible to get sub 1:40 then i think it's safe to assume that even the time @ the Ultima Garden is bullshit (1:43, new game playthrough).  Assuming you kept it *really tight* then you only had 3 minutes on a NEW GAME speedrun:  and we both know that that is simply not possible.  i'm not going to say with absolute certainty what the lower limit of this game would be until i'm actually done, because i know that my speedrun is not *perfect* at all.  Solid, yes.  Perfect?  No.
Mooh:

AshleyRiot2006:

That's a mighty fine time you got there.  If you say it's pretty much impossible to get sub 1:40 then i think it's safe to assume that even the time @ the Ultima Garden is bullshit (1:43, new game playthrough).  Assuming you kept it *really tight* then you only had 3 minutes on a NEW GAME speedrun:  and we both know that that is simply not possible.  i'm not going to say with absolute certainty what the lower limit of this game would be until i'm actually done, because i know that my speedrun is not *perfect* at all.  Solid, yes.  Perfect?  No.

I'd call a 1:43 first playthrough time in VS pure fantasy, either that or he segmented the piss out of it until absolutely everything humanly possible worked in his favor, even at that, it simply takes too much time in VS first playthrough, just wiping out enemies alone, to clock in at 1:43.  The time he claims is ~fantasy~. 

And yes, my 1:40 run was a tight run, I set out to break all VS records in New Game+ and until anyone can prove otherwise I have achieved that.  Twin Galaxies time was nothing to laugh at.  Like I said, you are getting to the point where you are trying to milk blood out of a Turnip.

Keep On Keepin' On...  Grin

And Thanks!
berserker status
Damn...and here i was getting an inferiority complex b/c of some esoteric Japanese record with no verification.  They're damn good at fighting games, making cars, and everything else it seems like though.  Tongue

On your 1:40 time, you probably didn't record it did you??  So were you planning on getting a DVD recorder come this winter??  And also, how many segments did you do it in (if any)???  It seems like you would be able to shave a minute off if you do it single segment...or only one or two...you just gotta make sure not to fall into a precipice though hahah.  I can imagine it gets more difficult to shave time off as you optimize it, hell, my speedrun is getting TOUGH to shave off time as well.  I'm really hoping i can get a sub 22 min. Great Cathedral run...i don't think i posted this in my practice run (strangely) but i saved after the Arch Dragon @ Sin and Punishment.  This time i will be saving it before so that i don't mess up on the cloudstones and hopefully get a 1-round kill...thank god i don't have to fight the Iron Crab to get to Guildenstern.  THAT would def put me over 2:00:00 (if it gets that close).

On your 1:40 time, you probably didn't record it did you??  So were you planning on getting a DVD recorder come this winter??  And also, how many segments did you do it in (if any)???  It seems like you would be able to shave a minute off if you do it single segment...or only one or two...you just gotta make sure not to fall into a precipice though hahah.

All my runs were NO SAVE SS Runs. 

Correct, it's Unrecorded that's why my posts have stated as much.  I'll buy a whole new PC, etc., etc., this fall/winter, including what I need to record.  I've screwed up a good many runs, that's why it took playing it over and over to finally get a SS Run right and hit the 1:40 mark.

Like I say, not much, if anything, to shave off time wise @ 1:40. 

Keep On Keepin' On...  Grin 
Edit history:
Riskbreaker Y: 2009-07-02 05:27:38 pm
berserker status
hey there all----just wanted to let you guys know that i have completed the VS speedrun and i have accomplished what i set out to do.  there was some bad luck in some places in the Great Cathedral and other places where i maybe could've done better.  all of that added up to no more than 15-20 secs.  in other parts, i really did well so that helped balance out the bad stuff.  i kept to my 'no more than 3 combos rule' as well.  too bad i fell into a precipice though once (-8 secs.) edit: make that twice (it's not that bad of a time waster thankfully); those parts are so fucking annoying it's not even funny...especially the room with the switch for the final cloudstone... Undecided  All in all though i have to say that i'm pretty satisfied with my final time, even though it could possibly be 1-5 minutes better with tremendous luck and solid execution.  it's a fairly large window considering if you can slay all the bosses in one continuous chain (or at the most two) you can save yourself nice chunks of time.  This would again, require good luck and strong execution on the bosses who have high chain evade stats on their body parts....

Final VS New Game playthrough (official in-game timer, i recorded this too; start New Game+ & access the Gazette under "score"):

1:59       

i don't know whether it counts seconds or drops them off to be honest.  if the game says i got a sub 2:00:00 time then, hell, that's what i got (note:  i had a previous attempt that was 2:00 exactly too).  i'll probably go back and manually time the segment pretty soon.  hopefully the new segments will be posted in a few hours or something.    Wink
Congratulations! Awesome job. I can't wait to see the ending.
berserker status
Quote from gmacd:

Thanks, i think it's safe for you to remove the question mark from the thread title.

Here are the final three segments on youtube (sorry for the mediocre quality on some of the vids; i couldn't get the rain for the first Guildenstern battle and my comp was acting up for the last seg Undecided  ).
All of these are in the Great Cathedral.

Segment 11 (1/2)

Segment 11 (2/2)

Segment 12

Segment 13

Watch the last segment to the very end for in-game confirmation on the 1:59 time; i'm pretty sure it adds seconds to the final time because when i timed it from real-time (when i first had control of Ashley to the final blow) i came up with a time of 1:58:45 when added to the last save time.  then again it could be me.  either way, the final time is what it is. 

I just want to thank you guys for the support and the input.  here's the last of the vids (hopefully) enjoy!  8)

Ur-Quan. You're for dinner.
Wow... I didn't expect this to get finished so quickly! Good job on hitting your target, I've only watched the first few segments so far, but I enjoyed them.

I played this game years ago, but never really got very far. I couldn't really get my head around the affinities and what made weapons/armor good and bad. The science behind this game is pretty complex, isn't it?
berserker status
Quote from InstinctSage:
Wow... I didn't expect this to get finished so quickly! Good job on hitting your target, I've only watched the first few segments so far, but I enjoyed them.

I played this game years ago, but never really got very far. I couldn't really get my head around the affinities and what made weapons/armor good and bad. The science behind this game is pretty complex, isn't it?

Thanks, there were some times where i thought i wouldn't be able to break the 2 hour mark but i knew that my last boss strategy was solid. 

The game is very complicated indeed.  I've played this game a lot over the years but i never got around to making a really buffed out data.  Once you get enough chain abilities to unlock Raging Ache, all the stats associated with your self and the enemies are out the window for the most part.  It's important to take advantage of the Fandango's strength in the early parts of the game while you're still able to (all the while managing RISK in these portions).
Ur-Quan. You're for dinner.
Yeah, I thought the affinities were more important and I was stoked about building my own weapons, so I slapped together a weapon to counter undead enemies in the catacombs, but after using it for 15 minutes the affinity had reversed because I was using it constantly against undead, and I think I gave up around that point because.. Well, I just didn't understand what the hell the system was used for after that.

Seeing you play kinda made me want to go back and try the game again, but I think it's somewhat spoiled for me because it put this idea in my head that I really liked, but in reality it's doing something completely different. I don't know if that makes sense.
berserker status
Quote from InstinctSage:
Yeah, I thought the affinities were more important and I was stoked about building my own weapons, so I slapped together a weapon to counter undead enemies in the catacombs, but after using it for 15 minutes the affinity had reversed because I was using it constantly against undead, and I think I gave up around that point because.. Well, I just didn't understand what the hell the system was used for after that.

Seeing you play kinda made me want to go back and try the game again, but I think it's somewhat spoiled for me because it put this idea in my head that I really liked, but in reality it's doing something completely different. I don't know if that makes sense.

All it takes is all a lot of patience to find treasure chests, using the right spells, and modifying your equipment the right way i guess.  it definitely helps to go to the strategy guides at GAMEFAQS because there are a lot of people there dedicated to the game.  The combat mechanics guide by Beamup is a particularly good read if you don't mind going ahead.  I learned most of the modifying stuff on my own but not necessarily the advanced stuff.  Most of the best weapons are found in the Iron Maiden areas so try to kill the Air Dragon & get the Tearose Sigil drop, learn the teleportation spell from the Lich, and go back to the Warrior's Rest at the Keep.  Just a suggestion i guess.  Grin
Kudos!    Shocked 
Quote from gmacd:

Watch the last segment to the very end for in-game confirmation on the 1:59 time

Kick butt achievement there!  Awesome, just awesome! 

I doubt when VS first came out anyone even imagined such a feat as being possible.  Took years and a lot of research by dedicated VS fans to break down VS into the "science" that it is today.  Nice to see somebody actually successfully employ said "science" and perform a run like that.

~Nicely Done~
berserker status
Thanks guys, to be honest i didn't think i'd be able to do it either.

Although Babo's guide helped me out a lot, i pretty much knew the route.  I just had to remember where to get the Mandrake Sigil so that i could skip the Abandoned Mines B2 and some directions for the Snowfly Forest.  The Impact Guard/Absorb Magic strategies are something that i think i may have come across accidentally years in the past but needless to say, Babo's emphasis on this strategy was essential speedrun.  Beamup Combat Mechanics guide that was just submitted like last month actually help confirm some stuff regarding boss chain evade stats.  When i get home later this weekend i'll access my data and check out some of the Fandango's final stats that weren't displayed at the end.
Thanks, i think it's safe for you to remove the question mark from the thread title.

Your wish is my command.

Segment 11 was insane. Nice 30 chain. I can understand why you kept the fall. I bet you were going nuts at the end with that ledge too lol.
berserker status
Quote from gmacd:

Your wish is my command.

Segment 11 was insane. Nice 30 chain. I can understand why you kept the fall. I bet you were going nuts at the end with that ledge too lol.

Yes, it took a lot of mental fortitude to suck it up and just keep going.  If i had made the first jump on that segment and then FAILED the next one, then i would've lost double the time so that really could've f*cked things up.  At first i really didn't want to keep any segs that had falls in them but i made an exception for the Great Cathedral since some of those jumps are just retarded IMO.

So like i said, i went back to my data to get some stats you guys may be interested in.  I know CannibalK9 wanted to know some Fandango stuff so i'll just list some relevant info that weren't shown @ the end of the segment:

Titles

*Seeker of Truth (completed game once)

*Conqueror of the Dark (completed game in sub 10:00:00; lol)

*Knight of Brilliance (did at least one 30+ chain combo; i did this once against the Djinn)

*Knight of Pride (completed game w/o using any Break Arts)

Fandango  (remains edged i believe)

*Atk/Str:  10/117

*PP:  127/136  DP: 0/126

*Human:  -1
  Beast:  8
  Undead:  -1
  Dragon:  -4
  Phantom:  0
  Evil:  -3

*Physical:  6
  Air:  9
  Water:  -1
  Earth:  -4
  Light:  3
  Dark:  1
  Fire:  6

That's all i could really show i guess.
berserker status
hullo folks, been awhile since i've been on this thread.  i'm here for some official businezz:

My run now needs verification (see verification section on the home page).  I know this is Mike Uyama's turf and everything but i thought it wouldn't hurt to spread the word.  If anyone can verify a Vagrant Story run (not just necessarily people in this thread), i would really appreciate it if you could PM Mike and let him know (NOT ME).  Let's get this ball rolling people!  I hope what i'm doing isn't unethical or shady in any way.  :-[

i'll probably re-record my run (no i still haven't done it) on sunday since i'll be heading to San Diego for a family gathering and stuff.  as soon as there's enough verifiers i'll probably wind up sending my DVD's to Nate since i have no idea how torrent files work and i don't want to rip all those DVD's all over again (hell i don't even know HOW to open torrent files!).
I hope your run is verified soon... but I don't count on it.  It can take some amount of time for the process to go through.
Did you post all your segments to youtube?

Considering your effort, I'm going to honor the full bounty, unless there are any blatant timing issues. You'll just have to hold tight till it gets verified.  Wink

Hurry up and get this verified!!!!
berserker status
Quote from Zugzwang:
Did you post all your segments to youtube?

Considering your effort, I'm going to honor the full bounty, unless there are any blatant timing issues. You'll just have to hold tight till it gets verified.  Wink

Hurry up and get this verified!!!!

Dude...that's all ya needed ta say!  The links are above in my other posts but i've created a playlist for convenience.  here you go:

Yea, my run is still languishing in the verification topic.  i expected people to sign up quickly but i guess not.  Sad  Some of the runs on that page have been sitting there for a loooooong time so any chance of it getting posted right away is pretty damn low at this point.  Hopefully people will contact Mike soon and i could send my DVD's to Nate in the Lone Star state.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,1285.0.html

Wow, you don't know how much that would help me.  I was gonna ask you for maybe $150 of the bounty after awhile but i wasn't going to push my luck or anything.  Your bounty, i have to admit, did provide a lot of incentive for this run but i wasn't going to be a douche and demand anything from you.  either way i really appreciate what you did and honestly i can say with certainty that without your initiative there would be no run.  there shouldn't be any timing issues, i recorded the final in-game time after saving at the very end and starting a new game+.  You can access your fastest completion in the Gazette under Score.  Like you said, unless something unexpected comes up (or even a rejection of the run), i don't think timing will be an issue.  there are errors which amount to about a minute in that run. 

Some mistakes are pretty fucking obvious while others are very subtle...i'm not gonna make the job easier for the verifiers so i expect them to pick my run apart.  like i said, a minute worth of errors probably (this doesn't count better execution on the bosses).  i want to go back and improve this maybe next year but i won't anytime soon because this seriously burnt me out since it was very difficult to pull off.  In any case, i hope you enjoy my run!!  The Guildenstern battle came out exactly the way i wanted it too!!!  8)