page  <- 1234567891011121314 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 14 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
RNG Gods Guide Me
Quote from 2bitmarksman:
Can someone explain to me Wallhugging? Do you move faster when doing it or is it just to increase encounter rate???

Give frame perfect switch hits, like the elevators, both the buttons in ruins, and for farming encounters(as stated). But other then that it does not boost up speed. Saves a total about 5-7 secs.
Edit history:
Omgwthdude: 2015-11-15 04:28:33 pm
Omgwthdude: 2015-11-15 04:27:44 pm
RNG Gods Guide Me
On another note why does anyone know why the room with the 3 lasers(blue, blue, orange) softlocks?
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2015-11-15 05:17:51 pm
2bitmarksman: 2015-11-15 05:11:20 pm
Ate the extra spicy banana
Question: Has anyone thought about a Hard Mode Category for this game? Using 'Frisk' in the name slot makes you have to play the game in hard mode so it would at least be interesting just for kicks. Or are there too many categories already :3
Runs things speedily
Quote from 2bitmarksman:
Question: Has anyone thought about a Hard Mode Category for this game? Using 'Frisk' in the name slot makes you have to play the game in hard mode so it would at least be interesting just for kicks. Or are there too many categories already :3

There already is a Frisk category under the Misc. Categories button - http://www.speedrun.com/undertale#Frisk_Mode1

There's also a Temmie College category for you proud people who just want to see Temmie succeed! Grin

Quote from Omgwthdude:
On another note why does anyone know why the room with the 3 lasers(blue, blue, orange) softlocks?

Likely something to do with the game receiving an input when it doesn't expect one and the code just breaks. Then again I'm no programmer so...I got no idea.
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2015-11-15 06:29:21 pm
Ate the extra spicy banana
Cool. Still working on up to completion of papyrus date. Really wishing I could change the controls a bit so I could use WASD for movement tbh :T. Think I'll stick to the controller despite being a bit slower (not like I'm going for WR, I just wanna learn the run and do it competently). Only at 23:23 for end of papyrus date, want sub 22 then will move onto next section Tongue
RNG Gods Guide Me
You probably can change the controls as that is not a problem there are thing out there that change up down left right to WASD. You would have to change z,x,c as well, but that's just putting  one button function to another so not modding technically. AS long as there are the same amount of buttons as there were assigned in the first place it should be fine.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/3lzn5n/is_there_anyway_to_change_up_the_controls/
Runs things speedily
TGH I just noticed in your latest PB you choose "I have places to go." at the final text box. I'm not 100% certain but it feels like just mashing with the first choice "I want to stay with you." is slightly faster? If anyone can confirm this then that'd be great and that'd be a small timesave you could add onto your run in future PB's! thumbsup
Anime is not real.
Quote from Wolfiexe:
TGH I just noticed in your latest PB you choose "I have places to go." at the final text box. I'm not 100% certain but it feels like just mashing with the first choice "I want to stay with you." is slightly faster? If anyone can confirm this then that'd be great and that'd be a small timesave you could add onto your run in future PB's! thumbsup

Yes.  There's less text but more of a wait between text boxes.  I was always under the impression that option was faster, but now that I look at another video, I can actually confirm it's about 4 seconds faster to choose 'I want to stay with you.'

The guide I first looked at to study the route said choosing "I have places to go" was faster.  Guess I shouldn't really trust stuff like that anymore right off the bat, lol

Thanks Wolf!
Did some experimenting with Lesser Dog after watching Lesser Dog% races. For AYC: it's faster to use the "Stick" once and then "Pet" once, instead of using "Pet" four times. It skips two attack animations which are around 4.25 seconds each, plus menuing time.

Also, the TPE guide has been almost completely reworked. The next step is to add video counterparts to the more difficult sections as well as full length video tutorials. Open casting call to whoever wants to make them.
Edit history:
TGH: 2015-11-18 01:04:18 am
TGH: 2015-11-18 01:02:48 am
Anime is not real.
I can make a sort of "tutorial" guide/stream video tomorrow (later today??), if that's alright with everyone.

Also I thought I'd post a .gif detailing the correct positioning to execute the Undyne 2-cycle.  Sorry it's kinda bad quality but it should suffice. 
Right underneath the middle of the scrolling 'W', I find, works every time.  It doesn't matter how you get there or how long you wait at the beginning (I actually wait at the end here), just the positioning matters.  My conclusion (keep in mind I know nothing about programming) is that Papyrus' call, which happens just as Undyne is about to start moving towards you, causes the game to somehow delay her initial movement "again," just enough so you can get off the screen.

Edit history:
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 03:28:06 am
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 03:26:02 am
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 03:03:23 am
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 03:01:55 am
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 02:55:40 am
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 02:51:10 am
As far as I can tell from the Github Markup/Markdown repositories, there is no way to directly embed images or videos; only URLs. That GIF is good, if not a bit fuzzy, but the content is isolated and a newcomer might not "get it" right away. It doesn't matter who makes them as long as they are easy to understand, succinct, and accurate. Some small level of video editing would be a plus, mostly for adding graphics to explain what's happening. Audio is optional, save the obvious: specifically showcasing an audio cue or long form commentary.

Some of them will need to be supplementary to the guide while others will be standalone for the people that don't want to read/need visual representation. Try to focus on topics that seem obvious to you now but were confusing when you first started, or even things that are still confusing. Whatever it is, it has to be publicly hosted so it can be linked to and convey its message without needing a lengthy preface. Strongly prefer if it's not a Twitch VoD time code that immediately plays a 30 second ad before a 10 second clip.

Thanks to whoever makes something. Just do the best you can and whatever is objectively the most useful will find its way into the guide somewhere.
Edit history:
TGH: 2015-11-18 03:20:28 am
Anime is not real.
Quote from Tenebrae:
As far as I can tell from the Github Markup/Markdown repositories, there is no way to directly embed images or videos. That GIF is good, if not a bit fuzzy, but the content is isolated and a newcomer might not "get it" right away.

Of course a newcomer wouldn't get it to begin with.  Nor would they know what the "Undyne 2-cycle" is in the first place.  That's what captions and guides like yours are for. 

I didn't make that .gif for the guide anyway, just for people who have been following this thread who may be struggling with the skip. 

EDIT:  I'm actually about to start streaming/recording a basic tutorial....whoever is here can come by and yell at me for missing something Smiley http://www.twitch.tv/tgh_plays
Edit history:
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 03:38:18 am
I didn't mean to dissuade you from making things. There's also no rush or concrete demand for any of this. There aren't really any levels of standards either. My thought was only to have something that is inviting to new runners and possibly grow the community more.
Edit history:
Wolfiexe: 2015-11-18 09:27:27 am
Runs things speedily
New reworked TPE looks pretty awesome. I'll go through it sometime and see if I can find anything missing but it looks pretty solid. I'll try and get around to make a couple of video tutorials in the future if I think of anything necessary.

EDIT: Something I did notice actually that I always see people do and it's also in the guide, is that Mettaton's grid puzzle can be done like 2 tiles faster.

In the above image, people seem to take the red path, or go into the water tile and then go up, but it's a lot faster here to just take the green path. The guide says the best time is around 10 but doing this puzzle optimally with this green path can give you a time of 11. May only save a small amount of time but it's worth doing for sure!
Hi everyone, I'm new here and well I'm really interested in doing speedruns of this game (I'm going for the TPE route), I've been following all the things you've discovered and that... but, I'm concerned about something, you'll see, my PC is not very good... so I'm afraid of the parts when the games closes and where I have to close it and then run it again because it might take a while to load again... So I would like to hear opinions, should I still try it? Huh?

(btw my English is not very good sorry ^^')
Edit history:
Omgwthdude: 2015-11-18 02:56:28 pm
RNG Gods Guide Me
Yes, mine took 8-10 secs for each load(recently got it lower), if its more then that then still yes, you can sub 2 hour and be top 10
Runs things speedily
Go for it shinykoffing! If you enjoy the game then you should go for it. Load times are a pain to deal with but they'll only have a big impact when you're getting to the top ranks. You can still get awesome times with long loads so for now you shouldn't worry about it.
Edit history:
Omgwthdude: 2015-11-18 07:09:35 pm
RNG Gods Guide Me
Good Job finding that glitch out, unfortunately for us, that does nothing. the fastest way to get out of that screen during almost every run would be just maneuver by hold down and right rather then spending time to do that particular glitch. Even if there was a consistent way, again would probably be 1-2 secs faster just to go the regular was as there are no enemies/dialog we encounter.
Edit history:
Tenebrae: 2015-11-18 05:23:14 pm
Did you seriously use the blur/smudge tool on a pixelated game? Worst shop 0/10.
Runs things speedily
Quote from Tenebrae:
Did you seriously use the blur/smudge tool on a pixelated game? Worst shop 0/10.

Me? If so, that's just the quality of a snapshot of my stream. embarassed
Quote from Wolfiexe:
Quote from Tenebrae:

Me? If so, that's just the quality of a snapshot of my stream. embarassed

Your colored puzzle looks fine.

I should have quoted this:

Quote from BoredOfYou:
Runs things speedily
Oh. I only just noticed what you meant about that image actually. I'm interested to see actually if we'll discover any major out-of-bounds skips in the near future.
Quote from shinykoffing:
Hi everyone, I'm new here and well I'm really interested in doing speedruns of this game (I'm going for the TPE route), I've been following all the things you've discovered and that... but, I'm concerned about something, you'll see, my PC is not very good... so I'm afraid of the parts when the games closes and where I have to close it and then run it again because it might take a while to load again... So I would like to hear opinions, should I still try it? Huh?

(btw my English is not very good sorry ^^')

Quote from Omgwthdude:
Yes, mine took 8-10 secs for each load(recently got it lower), if its more then that then still yes, you can sub 2 hour and be top 10

To let you and anyone else know, if you know how long your game takes to load and you time your doubling click on your game right before you (or when it closes itself) it will load immediately after it closes. I'm not sure how it would work with the steam version since it probably uses more resources to load "preparing to load Undertale" but if you buy the DRM-free version it'll work fine with that.
Very Thanks..!!
Hey all! New runner for Undertale here. Cheesy
I did my first full run of TPE last night, and I have to give props to everyone who's helped put the github notes for the run together. Seriously, you guys did a great job. With the notes, I got a 2:16:51 on my first attempt (I even did it with a controller *gasp*), and despite some screwups on Undyne (messed up the skip and messed up Kindergarten) and a few deaths between Asgore and Asriel, it felt like a pretty solid run. Can't wait to dig deeper into the game, and thanks to Tenebrae for stopping by to my stream and giving some pointers.