Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote:
I don't know if anybody mentioned it but you can use paintbrushes to get to higher places. If you drop a paintbrush it will not fall like normal and then you can jump on it and drop another paintbrush. I haven't completed the main quest but I have found it useful in some places.

Shocked I didn't knew that. that could be usefull in the oblivion towers. I'll try that.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The method I used for recording Morrowind was to use dual monitor/TV output from the gaming PC and send the TV output to a TV card on another PC. Doesn't hit performance in game, but limits recording to TV quality. Requires twice the PC hardware too.

The filefront site is being very slow right now, will have to download some other time...
DOSBox <3
Finally watched it, and it pwns for a start.
I saw only minor mistakes.
Otherwise it simply kicks ass.
Quote:
Finally watched it, and it pwns for a start.
I saw only minor mistakes.
Otherwise it simply kicks ass.

Yea, there are some mistakes. When i walk into than plant(?) at the first oblivion plane. I'm going to take a quick break now, and than I'll make a new one. there is much i can improve.
Well, ive seen the run (i hadnt finished the game so it kinda spoiled it, but i just couldnt resist  Roll Eyes ) I didnt read the whole thread, so i wondered if you did this SS or if you just removed the save/load things from the video. In any case, while there are a few errors, i loved to watch all of it (and i think the quality with 360 mb for one and a half hour is great) because despite Oblivion being quite a slow paced game, you managed to get a great speed feel into it. And i think for a game this complex (Morrowind had 2 incredbly short runs that were completly different in nature) route planning and discovering tricks/glitches is far more important than getting lost in a cave or getting stuck with the horse.
Anyway, good job by setting the bar and showing us your progress. Looking forward to your improvements!!
Quote:
(i hadnt finished the game so it kinda spoiled it, but i just couldnt resist Roll Eyes )

I've got the same problem, but I'm still resisting at the moment, although it gets harder and harder... Smiley
Quote:
Well, ive seen the run (i hadnt finished the game so it kinda spoiled it, but i just couldnt resist  Roll Eyes ) I didnt read the whole thread, so i wondered if you did this SS or if you just removed the save/load things from the video. In any case, while there are a few errors, i loved to watch all of it (and i think the quality with 360 mb for one and a half hour is great) because despite Oblivion being quite a slow paced game, you managed to get a great speed feel into it. And i think for a game this complex (Morrowind had 2 incredbly short runs that were completly different in nature) route planning and discovering tricks/glitches is far more important than getting lost in a cave or getting stuck with the horse.
Anyway, good job by setting the bar and showing us your progress. Looking forward to your improvements!!

Thanks. I've done this in 2 segment acctually. In the miscarnard(or something like that). i redid the cave 2 times because i needed a good staff from the guardian.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
I made some screenshots of me jumping to the next level in a tower using two paintbrushes.
http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paintjump5co.jpg

My computer is way below the minimum requirements that’s why the pictures look awful but should give an idea of what I am talking about. I have an acrobatics of 113 so it would take more paintbrushes with lower skills. Paintbrush jumps with two or more paintbrushes would require a save beforehand so its probably not suited to a two section run.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Great run! Those duplicated spell scrolls do kick butt (almost too easily). I wonder how long it would take without them...

I regularly forget about the spikey "plant" thing in the first Oblivion gate and get stuck on it. At least I'm not the only one.

A couple of hints:

After you get the fourth book, I don't think you even need to go see Tar Meena (?) again, you definitely don't need to wait three times while she gives you all the hints (originally I had worked it out after the first one), just go straight to Green Emperor Way when you leave the sewers and wait for the map to start glowing on the tomb. I think you do need to see the map before going to the location though (otherwise they ignore you when you get there), though I could be wrong. You can get there too early though...

In the spies quest you don't need to speak to Captain Burd (I never did when I completed the game first time, although I did speak to one of the homeless guys, which again might be quicker), I think you can go straight to the house, kill the "residents" and steal their orders. Give it a go.

The rest is just icing on the cake.
Thanks. It would be great if i don't have to see tar-meena, because resting takes pretty long in oblivion. that could reduce the time by 1.5mins. 
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2006-06-17 03:06:58 pm
I've found 2 things which could be useful.

The first is a way to use magic a little faster.
You need to equip something (Weapon, shield, fists...) and press and hold block, then press and hold the magic button (So keep the 2 buttons pressed).
This could be useful for healing or shooting fireballs etc... but you can't jump or run because of blocking.

The second thing is a double jump, but this one is pretty difficult to perform.
It works a little like Half-Life 2 Smiley
Put an item in front of you (Preferably some potion because of the weight) and then jump and immediately grab the item and put it underneath yourself, then move forward and keep pressing jump.
If done correctly you jump in the air off the item so that makes a double jump Smiley
I've uploaded a little video on YouTube:

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Wouldn't it be possible but difficult to continue doing that to gain as much height as you want?
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2006-06-17 10:14:49 pm
I've tried that but it's not possible (As far as I know...) because the item will fall.

I've also tried (And succeeded) to drop an item the moment I jump from the item in the air.
I then tried to grab the newly dropped item but I wasn't successfull at applying the trick again (Or it can be done but it's extremely difficult...) Smiley

But I'll keep on trying Smiley

EDIT:
Ok, let me redo this post...
I just tried it again and I've managed to jump up 4 times Smiley
This time I used a Steel Shield which has a bigger surface.
I've uploaded a video of it again to YouTube but they haven't finished uploading yet, so I'll give the link a little later.

Here it is:

EDIT2:
Let me redo this post again...
I've almost managed to fly and now it was almost exactly the same as in Half-Life 2 Wink
For example, I've managed to get on top of the big houses in Imperial City.
I've uploaded the last video concerning the item jumping trick.
Getting on top of a house in Imperial City.

hehe nice Grin it looks more realistic than hl2's flying which is good. after all, it's in a fantasy world anyway Smiley
Shocked wow, that's nice. That's way faster than the paintbrush thing. I'm going to try it out now. Smiley
I've tried a lot of different items but the Steel Shield was the easiest to work with.

It basically works like this:

Put an item in front of you and look all the way down (Or almost all the way down), then walk forward (Don't run because you'll go too fast, it does work while running but it's more difficult) jump and grab the item at the same time (Or almost, maybe a difference of 0.1 seconds Wink )
When you reach a certain height you need to jump and grab it again while you keep walking forward, and then just repeat this.

It's pretty difficult to keep doing this at the same intervals, the item falls pretty easily (Or you'll grab it in a wrong way and while grabbed you're falling down a little... Smiley )

I've almost managed to get over the Imperial City walls Grin
PwNzRd!
I haven't been able to download the movie, unfortunately. It says the file isn't on a server. Interesting...
Quote:
I haven't been able to download the movie, unfortunately. It says the file isn't on a server. Interesting...

Hmm, maybe try it a little later?
I can still watch it Smiley
PwNzRd!
Works now.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Well I confirmed what I said above. Once you've got all books, just head straight to Green Emperor Way, you don't need to speak to Tar Meena at all.

Also the spies quest doesn't require you to speak to anyone at all before going straight to the house which you "somehow" know contains the spies.

I've also been playing with the latest patch, i.e. without the duplication glitch. I'm currently running about 20 minutes behind the movie that was released, but I'm also on higher detail, so not sure how much that adds to loading times. Even so combat does run for longer even with a combination of destruction magic and melee. Particularly the five vampires in gutted mine caused trouble, I had to lure a couple back to the shrine of azura for help. I've since worked out that these vampires are weak to fire so might take advantage of that. Also might try contracting vampires disease for a bonus later on. If you're lucky the first oblivion gate yields a stone that adds damage to your weapon which you can enchant for added effect. Unfortunately I picked up a damage magicka stone which is less than useful in combat.
I wear glasses.
Quote:
I've also been playing with the latest patch, i.e. without the duplication glitch.

Thanks for doing so, the dupe glitch did seem like a kinda cheap way to get through the game fast... :-/
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Well the Liche King of Miscarcand left me a really useful staff of corrosion without any charge left. I can only take comfort in the fact that his zombie minions had no armour left after that battle! The randomness of levelled items is playing some dirty hands for me.

Looks like to complete a run without dup glitches you're going to need a reasonably charged staff of fire/frost/lightning/health damage and at least one of the two gates you've got to close has got to leave you with a similarly enchanted stone. I've just realised one of the Skeleton Blades leaves you Northwind as a reward, a blade with some frost damage is good against all but the undead. Should have picked that up...

I've been playing as an Argonian, but I'm beginning to believe that the Dark Elf might be a better option. 75% fire resistance is tempting, and their 50 speed and 5 athletics bonus makes for a good speed runner. Plus the odd summoned ghost would be handy in one or two situations.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:
Particularly the five vampires in gutted mine caused trouble, I had to lure a couple back to the shrine of azura for help. I've since worked out that these vampires are weak to fire so might take advantage of that.

Isn't it faster to get the wabbajack instead of the azura's star? There are no vampires to kill. Only sheep and cheese...  Wink

Look! A Sock!
Quote:
If you're lucky the first oblivion gate yields a stone that adds damage to your weapon which you can enchant for added effect. Unfortunately I picked up a damage magicka stone which is less than useful in combat.

If your doing a segmented run, couldnt you just save before the sigil stone, then reload the save if you dont get the desired effect from the stone? I havent tried this personally but I have heard from others(GameFAQS) that this works.