--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
We're made of star-stuff
Quote from I have no name:
Quote from Xem:
I'm wondering if it'll be allowed in Ratchet and Clank 3 for the Crash Site Level. Quitting and reloading the game only saves about a minute or two, and considering my path is about 2 hours, it's not that significant, but I'd figure I'd ask anyway.

It's what, around 1% savings?  I'd say it probably doesn't warrant the category.  Just run through the magnetic tower without dying, not that hard, right?

Fair. The other method (to backtrack and chargeboot back to the beginning of the level) is just as fast anyway.

Now, with that in mind, resetting as a means of going around a bug in a game is okay, right? Example, I skip the entire Clank sequence in Quark's Hideout, but the Taxi that takes me back to my ship doesn't load if I do it. Therefore, I have to reset if I want to beat the game. That's all Kosher, yes please maybe?
1-Up!
Basically you would crop out the failed attempt and it wouldn't make any difference to begin with. This thread is more concerned with games where runners reset or save/quit for a strategic advantage.
Obscure games ftw
Quote from Flip:
Basically you would crop out the failed attempt and it wouldn't make any difference to begin with. This thread is more concerned with games where runners reset or save/quit for a strategic advantage.

Thoughts on the Minecraft example?
(Last post of previous page)
1-Up!
Yeah Minecraft will qualify for a ss w/ resets category. Added to 2nd post.

(also different people have different page settings. For me the minecraft post is on the last page Wink )
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Hey would Batman: Arkham Asylum count for this?  Basically when you have to go fight Killer Croc in the sewers after getting the Line Launcher, Batman won't leave a certain room unless you've met Ivy, but if you restart from the options menu while in that room then you cut out having to meet Ivy entirely.  Saves about a minute iirc.
Would pokemon yellow be eligible for SS with resets, as you need to reset if you use the "walk through walls" glitch
umad
I'm kind of curious about how DK64 SS w/ resets would be timed. If the game clock was used, it'd be pretty pointless since it'd be the exact same thing as segmented except without breaks in between resets. Generally in manually timed games the resets are counted against the final time for SS w/ resets (as far as I know), so it strikes me as odd to use the in game timer when it isn't even on the file using said timer for a good portion of the run.
Edit history:
playe: 2012-06-18 03:01:27 pm
I think Majora's Mask should be re-considered. There was a glitch discovered that lets you store Song of Time and lets you skip the giant cutscenes if you reset. (It changes the route a bit and adds 2 cycles to the any% route. Not sure on how much time it saves though but if I had to guess I'd say 4-5 minutes including the resets at the first cycle.)
umad
Majora's Mask SS w/ Resets would save about 2 minutes and 24 seconds. The giant cutscene skips save about 1 minute out of that total.
All the things
Is an instant reload considered a reset for these purposes? Example:

In Nier, there is one point where I have to wait for a very slow NPC to walk to a set position before I can trigger the following events. I can skip a good chunk of this time by saving at a nearby save point just as the NPC starts moving and then loading immediately. When I reload, the NPC will be at the destination and I don't have to wait any longer. This saves something like 30-40 seconds, which is relatively low in the grand scheme of things. Does this count as a reset, or does it still qualify as a normal SS if I were to perform this skip? Note that the game clock still advances during all saving/loading sequences, so the only discrepency there is the couple seconds it takes for me to press start and select the file to load. I do this in my segmented run, but not sure if it should still be used in my SS route.
Edit history:
quadrazid: 2012-06-20 10:12:54 am
quadrazid: 2012-06-20 09:41:00 am
quadrazid: 2012-06-20 09:29:07 am
Svart Lyser Tronen
Hi. I'm wondering if Half-Life: Opposing Force could fall into this category. Here is a example and explanation from my commentary. It saved 1:03m in my segmented run, and would save even more in a SS.
Main Work!!!
Amnesia: the Dark Descend with reset, may save around 4 to 5 minutes.
1-Up!
Quote from RoboSparkle:
Hey would Batman: Arkham Asylum count for this?  Basically when you have to go fight Killer Croc in the sewers after getting the Line Launcher, Batman won't leave a certain room unless you've met Ivy, but if you restart from the options menu while in that room then you cut out having to meet Ivy entirely.  Saves about a minute iirc.

Need estimate for total time saved w/ resets vs total time w/o resets

Quote from askumi:
Would pokemon yellow be eligible for SS with resets, as you need to reset if you use the "walk through walls" glitch

Need time estimates

Quote from ING-X:
I'm kind of curious about how DK64 SS w/ resets would be timed. If the game clock was used, it'd be pretty pointless since it'd be the exact same thing as segmented except without breaks in between resets. Generally in manually timed games the resets are counted against the final time for SS w/ resets (as far as I know), so it strikes me as odd to use the in game timer when it isn't even on the file using said timer for a good portion of the run.

All SS w/ Resets runs are timed manually (like RTAs)

Quote from Omnigamer:
Is an instant reload considered a reset for these purposes? Example:

In Nier, there is one point where I have to wait for a very slow NPC to walk to a set position before I can trigger the following events. I can skip a good chunk of this time by saving at a nearby save point just as the NPC starts moving and then loading immediately. When I reload, the NPC will be at the destination and I don't have to wait any longer. This saves something like 30-40 seconds, which is relatively low in the grand scheme of things. Does this count as a reset, or does it still qualify as a normal SS if I were to perform this skip? Note that the game clock still advances during all saving/loading sequences, so the only discrepency there is the couple seconds it takes for me to press start and select the file to load. I do this in my segmented run, but not sure if it should still be used in my SS route.

Yes. You essentially leave and re-enter the game world.

Quote from quadrazid:
Hi. I'm wondering if Half-Life: Opposing Force could fall into this category. Here is a example and explanation from my commentary. It saved 1:03m in my segmented run, and would save even more in a SS.

Cool looking glitch. I need time estimates. Total ss time with and without resets.

Quote from AndréLucLévesque:

Good, added. (He pm'd me the time estimates and details etc).
Edit history:
playe: 2012-06-22 09:38:48 am
Nothing on Majora's Mask yet or do you need more explanation on the glitch that imo should bring it up for re-consideration? (And yes I plan on running the game SS with resets if it's accepted.)
1-Up!
ing said it saves 2m 24s and you haven't given me a total ss time w/o resets.
Totally rad
Quote from Flip:
Quote from AndréLucLévesque:

Good, added. (He pm'd me the time estimates and details etc).

Darn it, André! Now I have to learn a whole new route Cheesy
Edit history:
playe: 2012-06-22 11:46:29 am
Quote from Flip:

Ah sorry, I'd think that without resets the best time could be something like 1:47-1:48. With resets I think I'd be able to drop it down to 1:44-1:46 with how much resets change the route.
SEGA Junkie
Quote from Flip:
Quote from askumi:

Need time estimates

Well, you can't do the run without a reset, because of how the Safari Zone glitch works. The only alternative would be to play through the remainder of the game normally which, simply guessing based on the times on the site, would add about 30 minutes to the run.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote from Flip:
Quote from RoboSparkle:

Sorry, don't have exact times but the run is 2 hours-ish and the reset saves a minute.  To clarify, it's not a quit and restart from the main menu, just a Pause Menu -> Restart -> Yes/No -> Area reload -> Time saved.

In a similar vein, I'm currently running Batman: Arkham City and am considering a restart during the run there.  In one of the rooms towards the end you take out a bunch of guards who are in VERY awkward positions but doing Pause Menu -> Restart -> Yes/No -> Area reload there resets the guard positions and makes the room far easier.

My target time for the whole run is 1 hr 46ish mins, but this doesn't necessarily save time.  It costs 20 secs to reload, saves 5-10 secs because you no longer have to wait for the first guard but MASSIVELY reduces the risk of dying in an SS (which as I found in a recent attempt, can cost up to 2 minutes and stopped me from submitting) - the time difference in room strategies between the risky (non-reset) room and safe (resetted) room is (I think) more or less negligible on average, although the safe room is far more consistent.

This one really matters because if I had reset as soon as the risky strat went wrong I would have lost 30 seconds compared to getting it perfectly and 10-15 seconds compared to not bothering to try the risky strat in the first place and I would have had a submittable run.  Assuming, of course that I was allowed to restart there to make the room easier. 

Sorry if the explanation is confusing; I can actually show you a video clip of this to make it easier to see what I mean if that would help?
Svart Lyser Tronen
Quote from Flip:
Quote from quadrazid:
Cool looking glitch. I need time estimates. Total ss time with and without resets.

Would be something like this with identical play quality. Maybe to little?
Normal SS 27:00
SSw/restets 25:30
Hi. I’d like to suggest a game that I should hope will be a natural fit for this category: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

Save warping is a huge time saver. I just spent the night timing to find out save warping saves about 6:50 minutes. Note that death warping is almost always slower than save warping, and not applicable during most of the run because I’m carrying a potion around for a large portion of it.

Aside from save warping, I use two hard resets in the run to manipulate the RNG to get Maple to drop the potion and dig up two huge rupees (100 a peice.) I know there was some debate about “luck manipulation” early in the topic, so let me clarify.

What I DON’T do: Save at a house near where Maple appears, run into her, hope for a potion, if not, reset and repeat.

What I DO do: Save at a house near where Maple appears, hard reset the game, slash my sword 8 times, dig holes until I get a single rupee, slash my sword twice, go into the Maple room, run into her, get a guaranteed potion, collect the items with four sword slashes, and after she leaves, immediately dig up a guaranteed huge rupee. I do another hard reset later to get the other huge rupee.

Getting the potion from Maple saves buying it later (it is necessary for the story) and collecting 300 rupees to buy it. The 200 rupees allow me to buy the flute from the shop to get Dimitri, the animal with the fastest carpenter section (the 300 rupees I would collect for the potion can't be reached until this flute is no longer available.) The RNG manipulation saves about a minute.

So overall, a single segment run with resets of Oracle of Ages saves about 7:50 over a single segment run.
1-Up!
Quote from playe:
Quote from Flip:

Ah sorry, I'd think that without resets the best time could be something like 1:47-1:48. With resets I think I'd be able to drop it down to 1:44-1:46 with how much resets change the route.

Not enough time saved. Sorry.

Quote from mike89:
Quote from Flip:
Quote from askumi:

Need time estimates

Well, you can't do the run without a reset, because of how the Safari Zone glitch works. The only alternative would be to play through the remainder of the game normally which, simply guessing based on the times on the site, would add about 30 minutes to the run.

Sounds legit. Added.

Quote from RoboSparkle:
Quote from Flip:
Quote from RoboSparkle:

Sorry, don't have exact times but the run is 2 hours-ish and the reset saves a minute.  To clarify, it's not a quit and restart from the main menu, just a Pause Menu -> Restart -> Yes/No -> Area reload -> Time saved.

In a similar vein, I'm currently running Batman: Arkham City and am considering a restart during the run there.  In one of the rooms towards the end you take out a bunch of guards who are in VERY awkward positions but doing Pause Menu -> Restart -> Yes/No -> Area reload there resets the guard positions and makes the room far easier.

My target time for the whole run is 1 hr 46ish mins, but this doesn't necessarily save time.  It costs 20 secs to reload, saves 5-10 secs because you no longer have to wait for the first guard but MASSIVELY reduces the risk of dying in an SS (which as I found in a recent attempt, can cost up to 2 minutes and stopped me from submitting) - the time difference in room strategies between the risky (non-reset) room and safe (resetted) room is (I think) more or less negligible on average, although the safe room is far more consistent.

This one really matters because if I had reset as soon as the risky strat went wrong I would have lost 30 seconds compared to getting it perfectly and 10-15 seconds compared to not bothering to try the risky strat in the first place and I would have had a submittable run.  Assuming, of course that I was allowed to restart there to make the room easier. 

Sorry if the explanation is confusing; I can actually show you a video clip of this to make it easier to see what I mean if that would help?

Only saves a matter of seconds over the course of a 90 minute plus run? Not enough.

Quote from quadrazid:
Quote from Flip:
Quote from quadrazid:

Would be something like this with identical play quality. Maybe to little?
Normal SS 27:00
SSw/restets 25:30

Yup. Added.

Quote from TheOnlyOne:
Hi. I’d like to suggest a game that I should hope will be a natural fit for this category: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

Save warping is a huge time saver. I just spent the night timing to find out save warping saves about 6:50 minutes. Note that death warping is almost always slower than save warping, and not applicable during most of the run because I’m carrying a potion around for a large portion of it.

Aside from save warping, I use two hard resets in the run to manipulate the RNG to get Maple to drop the potion and dig up two huge rupees (100 a peice.) I know there was some debate about “luck manipulation” early in the topic, so let me clarify.

What I DON’T do: Save at a house near where Maple appears, run into her, hope for a potion, if not, reset and repeat.

What I DO do: Save at a house near where Maple appears, hard reset the game, slash my sword 8 times, dig holes until I get a single rupee, slash my sword twice, go into the Maple room, run into her, get a guaranteed potion, collect the items with four sword slashes, and after she leaves, immediately dig up a guaranteed huge rupee. I do another hard reset later to get the other huge rupee.

Getting the potion from Maple saves buying it later (it is necessary for the story) and collecting 300 rupees to buy it. The 200 rupees allow me to buy the flute from the shop to get Dimitri, the animal with the fastest carpenter section (the 300 rupees I would collect for the potion can't be reached until this flute is no longer available.) The RNG manipulation saves about a minute.

So overall, a single segment run with resets of Oracle of Ages saves about 7:50 over a single segment run.

Should be good, but what is the SS time w/o resets?
My current best is 2:49:42, so I guess the same run without resets would be about 2:57:32 (no one has done a high level SS run to my knowledge.)
1-Up!
Didn't realize the run was that long. Right on the edge of what I'll take but I'll accept it. Added.
Claimh Happy
I just want to clarify for robosparkle, the big question he was asking was whether "reloading" a mission counts as "resetting" the game.