page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Ahee: 2013-12-20 04:13:15 pm
I finally got my hands on NG 1 yesterday and starting to practice it now. Played casually through two times and learned the first stage today (by watching sinisters tutorial, big thanks) and going to learn level 2 tomorrow.

Worked a little on that fast sword swinging, but didnt really understand the logic behind it.
(1. Press down 2. Let it go 3. Slash 4. Repeat. didnt work for me when i tried to get it done slowly)
When i just smashed the buttons i got most of the time maybe 7-9 slashes per jump, but really unreliable while i have no idea what im doing.

I hope that i have gotten a better upload by when i get better and can run it most of the time sub 13 so i could join the races and stream Tongue
Hello there, i am a Casual ninja gaiden 1 speedrunner.
I started running it about 2 or 3 months ago and i am still new to it, currently i am running on an emulator with the special features disabled since i got no original console to play with, i stream my runs at twitch occasionally, my current PB is 13:42 and my goal is to get sub 12 someday.
Speedrunner
Quote from Sanaefroggy:
Hello there, i am a Casual ninja gaiden 1 speedrunner.
I started running it about 2 or 3 months ago and i am still new to it, currently i am running on an emulator with the special features disabled since i got no original console to play with, i stream my runs at twitch occasionally, my current PB is 13:42 and my goal is to get sub 12 someday.

Thats a big goal! I really hope youll get there!

It takes time and patience. Once you get the consistency down, the pbs are gonna be rolling all over the place.

i was looking through my NG3 US pacifist run an realized how bad my performance was  and started to think if pushing for a US single segment pacifist run would be worth it i figure act 1-5 wouldn't be too bad to do and i think i have the strats to get through act 7 however its probably gonna take a long time

Basically i'm just asking if its something that the NG community would like to see i know i said it probably couldnt be done but i think if i put in the attempts it can be done

i'm pretty close to a sub 20 on JP version i actually had one run but choked on finally boss
Edit history:
Joka: 2013-12-27 07:27:13 am
Personal text
Watching Ohon play Ninja Gaiden live on Twitch at this very moment T_T
(http://twitch.tv/ohonta)
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
@Ahee: You want to mash down and b at the same time while in mid air, do not alternate. Welcome and look forward to your progress.

@Sanaefroggy: Welcome and good luck on your goals. Sub 12 is a truly amazing time and only the absolute best players can get it. I hope you get there.

@gusmancini: I am not that into NG3 tbh. I think your JP pacifist runs have been impressive enough and if you want to do US version do it for yourself. There is honestly not a huge amount of NG3 fans and if your goal was to play in a marathon you can play whichever version you want. In fact JP version would probably be recommended by marathon organizers for consistencies sake.

@Joka: Wow, this dude is legit.

@dxtr: Don't worry I didn't forget about you. See you at AGDQ <3 <3 <3
I have advanced a little, pretty solid performance up till 4-3 and 5-1 is decent too. That bird dmg boost dxtr uses in 5-1 in his run at sda is sick, tried it like 50-100 times and got it only twice. going to work with 5-2 and 5-3 tomorrow and whole 6. act later this week, hoping to be able to do full runs next week. After i have learned the strats, im going to stop practising that much for a while because im playing with modded pal console atm and its like 17% slower, so after switching to ntsc console ill have to learn the timings again.
Edit history:
Sanaefroggy: 2014-01-01 03:02:09 am
I made a strats comparison video because i remember Sinister1 once said "There's really not a huge difference between the beginner and the advanced strats"
So i made this video comparing from 4 types of strats for  Act 3-2 in Ninja Gaiden 1.
Casual, Beginner, Advanced and Expert(Optimal).

Explaining a little what i mean with each one:

Casual:  Don't get me wrong there, with this i mean these are the "originally intended" routes that the developers expected the players to do.These do not include speedrunning strats, it's just casual gaming where the instant jump slash is not used.

Beginner: These are the safe common speedrunning strats.

Advanced: Strats that messing them up means losing more than 30 seconds (Sword guy at the ending)-
Also more strict jump timing and "keep holding forward" strats

Expert: These are the optimal strats involving risky stuff (Execution and luck speaking)
Involves really risky stuff, also depends highly on good hammer brothers luck.

All of the footage was played by me.

I hope this video is helpful in any way for anyone.
Note: Timing starts when control of ryu is gained and stops right when ryu touches the door.
New PB for NG3 pacifist 18:58 this is still improvable by about a minute maybe more
http://www.twitch.tv/gusmancini/c/3521750
is the video for anyone that is interested in watching also i was watching AGDQ while doing this so you'll hear it in the background
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from gusmancini:
New PB for NG3 pacifist 18:58 this is still improvable by about a minute maybe more
http://www.twitch.tv/gusmancini/c/3521750
is the video for anyone that is interested in watching also i was watching AGDQ while doing this so you'll hear it in the background

Sweet! Gonna watch this later, must be really good.
All the things
Congrats to dxtr on NG1 (SNES) WR of 12:14.

Kappa.
I Farted Out Of My Ears
I should whip this game out again, see how fast I can get it down. I usually have troubles with the bridge level but I think I can do it if I take my time.
Edit history:
gusmancini: 2014-02-05 04:23:21 pm
Finally got another PB for NG3 pacifist 18:19 sub 18 is possible i think most optimal would be a low/mid 17's this run had i think 1 unintentional death that cost very little to no time
http://www.twitch.tv/gusmancini/c/3671844 EDIT: This is the JP version

pretty similar to my 18:58 run just less mistakes

The noise if the background is me watching/listening to Dxtr play friday the 13th lol
Nice job!  Quick concern:  Why does it say "NG3US pacifist" when it's clearly Ninja Ryukenden III?  I know you toyed with NG3 a bit but it's confusing when watching the highlight.  It should be absolutely clear that it's the J version.
yeah  sorry about that i'm still trying to get used to how Wsplit works i'll make sure to edit the highlight title so people know and i'll put it in the Description
Edit history:
NintendoSuicide: 2014-02-10 10:44:53 pm
NintendoSuicide: 2014-02-06 09:05:50 pm
NintendoSuicide: 2014-02-06 06:20:05 pm
Hey guys! Finally joined up here, so why not post in the thread that I run the most?

Ninja Gaiden (NES) Any% - 13:49
Ninja Gaiden III (NES) Any% - 16:33

Cheesy

I'm always looking for feedback on my runs on what I could do better to make up time. I know there are several strats I lack (as well as dying too damn much) that I really need to practice on at least.
Quote from gusmancini:
yeah  sorry about that i'm still trying to get used to how Wsplit works i'll make sure to edit the highlight title so people know and i'll put it in the Description

Gave it a full watch, and glad I did because it's pretty awesome.  5-2, 6-1 and 7-2 are pretty brutal looking.  It didn't require as many deaths as I thought, you have some good despawning strats.  7-2 was extremely impressive.  Are you going to keep working on this?
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Welcome NintendoSuicide! Keep working and your PBs will come down for sure. One thing I noticed for NG1 is that you carry to much ninpo into the boss fights. This is counted down separately and thus wastes time. Other than that it really just comes down to getting better at late game (4-3 to the end). You are at the point most runners get to where the early game is pretty good but lots of time is lost in late game.
Thanks Sinister! I'm definitely working on improving my endgame from 4-3 on at this point. I feel that 1 through 4-2 are pretty well optimized at this point, with some small changes here and there.
After re-watching my video I didn't actually realize I carried so much ninpo into boss fights, but you're right. It's definitely WAY too much. I just got a gold split (~5-8 seconds) yesterday on act 4 from keeping my ninpo down and general cleaning up. My goal is to break the 13 before July for sure.
Edit history:
gusmancini: 2014-02-24 03:28:00 pm
Quote from duckfist:
Gave it a full watch, and glad I did because it's pretty awesome.  5-2, 6-1 and 7-2 are pretty brutal looking.  It didn't require as many deaths as I thought, you have some good despawning strats.  7-2 was extremely impressive.  Are you going to keep working on this?

Really late response but definitely my sum of best is like a 17:27 best possible time is probably a sub 17:20 plus i really enjoy pacifist as a category i've thought about learning NG1 and NG2 pacifist as well

I'm also gonna start working on NG3 US pacifist So far i'm pretty consistent up to act 5 with it

EDIT: I also found a better strat for NG3 any% its in my highlights labeled Nnja Gaiden III Strat it obtains the Fire wheel more quickly in act 3 saves about a second when i compared it to the 13:32 time on the SDA site
Speedrunner
Gusmancini:

I would love to see what you can do with NG1 Pacifist. I know there are alot of stuff that can be done there.

After my yesterdays practice, I think I can do that game without getting game over. It would save me roughly 20s I think.
But that would mean:

- Good rng on Stage 5-1
- Good rng on hammer bro with flying ninjas on 5-2
- Good rng on first Hammer bro 6-2
- Good rng on hammer bro on second screen 6-2

That adds up to alot of rng. :))

As long as I can survive to stage 6-2 with 1hp left and 2 extra lives. I think I can do it.
http://www.twitch.tv/gusmancini/c/3811714

The First time through on the first screen is the strat i came up with its risky because jumping over the fist bullet bill is really hard due to huge hit boxes
If you compare it to the second time i clear the first screen you'll see that i make it to the ladder before the bullet the first time but the second time i'm not at the ladder until the bullet is almost off screen i'm pretty sure this saves a little time idk how much its worth going for its not super hard but it is risky

The second screen is a boost off the jumper easy time saved the second time i show what happens if the bird doesn't despawn

i also think i have a better setup for the first hammer bro boost in 7-3 its safer and i think it's easier and more consistent to get its in my current PB but basically instead of standing next to the pit you climb near the top of the white pole and jump into a hammer and get knocked on the platform. i find it easier and  less risky for me
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Trying to set up a Ninja Gaiden relay race, if you are interested go here:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/classic_ninja_gaiden_relay_race_gauging_interest.html
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Ninja Gaiden relay would be insane Sin! I love that so many relays are happening. The real reason I'm here is to say Crak_Atak go a 13:59.8 on NGIII last night, and has lots to improve! If you would like to see:

http://www.twitch.tv/crak_atak/c/3925746
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Ninja Gaiden weekly race is returning starting this Saturday at 1pm EST. Anyone is welcome to join in. We usually do several races in succession since it is such a short game.