<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
spread the dirt to the populace
Quote from Requiem:
Then excuse me, i thought that it was some kind of personal preference instead of having enough people to be able to run the games :).

Part of it is what people are good at, part of it is what the viewers want and will donate money for.  The latter is why Rocket Knight Adventures is in (though it's a great game too!) and why we're more RPG-heavy this time (bidding wars on character names!).
Edit history:
dballin: 2010-10-02 08:05:43 pm
Balls jerky
I don't have any money this year though. I can't support a me vs 8 people battle (which was bullshit I can't believe nobody in that stream liked ff7 or 10) this time. Sad
that Metroidvania guy
lol satoryu, i should tell you a story about this one time sir vg and i were co-op'ing contra rebirth...

>.>
Visually Appealing
Please tell.
that Metroidvania guy
get on skype for once, where the f you been?

short version of the story though: it won't work for the marathon unless you want an additional hilarity segment
Talk to the Hand
Josh: Trolling no, joking yes. I know that MIKE HAGGAR alone does not make or break a game. I also agree with you that Streets of Rage 2 is definitely a great, popular game (Probably even moreso than Final Fight itself nowadays, if I'm being honest).
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2010-10-02 11:52:12 pm
mikwuyma: 2010-10-02 08:39:27 pm
mikwuyma: 2010-10-02 08:38:53 pm
mikwuyma: 2010-10-02 08:38:31 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I cut pretty much everything on the cutting list except for prince of persia. I also cut Fable 2, so Ilseroth isn't coming. Sucks I know, but it's really long and he said he would just reinvest the money towards building his arcade machine, so it's not all bad. Smiley

I know this means you only have Myst left, Ark. :-/

I still need to make a couple more cuts, but at least we're getting closer to 100-102ish hours.

Carcinogen: You have a lot of RE games. I think 1 and 2 should stay, because 1 has the corny lines and it's the start of the series, and 2 is popular after all these years, plus 4 and 5 should also stay because 4 is only the most popular game within the last 10 years, and 5 is going to be a co-op run.

However, I think I'm going to cut RE3 because I'm still a bit pressed for time, I don't remember it getting as much attention as the other (main series) games.

Also, I think it's a bad idea to just practice one scenario for re1 and 2. I think it's a better idea to practice both so we can have a bidding war for characters.

Arrow: I need a time estimate for mm9. I also can't guarantee a place for it in the marathon anymore.

Emptyeye: Yep, I knew even coming in that sor2 is more popular than ff. Doesn't mean we can't go piledriving in metro city. Wink

Requiem: I agree, Mass Effect 2 has even better ducking and covering than the first game!

dballin: lol, sucks you can't make it though. Sad We could use the man with the cajones.
Edit history:
aleckermit: 2010-10-02 10:42:20 pm
I researched all of the Mario Kart 64 shortcuts, and I've found most of them to be easy enough. So I'll have no trouble using them in the marathon. Frappe Snowland lap skip, Wario Stadium lap skip, and the Rainbow Road half-lap skip are all pretty doable in a single-sitting speedrun. I'll practice a lot to try to make some of the other shortcuts doable but most of them are really tricky/require boosts.

I've been thinking about it, and having a second person would really slow the run down (we'd be offing each other constantly :P). But 2 would be more fun to watch. Up to you guys.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from romscout:
get on skype for once, where the f you been?

short version of the story though: it won't work for the marathon unless you want an additional hilarity segment

Frankly, it would be kinda hilarious, especially since we haven't touched it in a year.  But to those that haven't done Rebirth, 2P runs are all about spread and laser.  Especially double spread.  Holy fuck can it really lay on the damage.  But the levels are TIGHT to pull off on hard for 2P.  romscout and I made it to Stage 2 after a weekend of practice.  One of our best Stage 1 attempts is on his channel.

But I wouldn't mind running with either of you on the side channel.  It would be fun as hell.
gamelogs.org
you might as well just cut myst too then.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from arkarian:
you might as well just cut myst too then.

I feel bad. But Myst is short, so I don't think cutting this will help much
im feelin a lot of salt incoming over the next couple weeks...
1-Up!
Quote from Josh the Funkdoc:
im feelin a lot of salt incoming over the next couple weeks...

Yeah I think it's inevitable.
Actually ark, to be serious, what 3 hours would you argue are worth cutting instead?

Some candidates in my eyes include Megaman 9 & X4, Rondo of Blood, and original Prince of Persia.  But those still wouldn't add up to 3 hours, especially since MM9 & Rondo don't have time estimates and thus aren't counted toward the total time at the moment.

Sly Cooper is long, but it's Ani's only game.  Same with Wario Land & Flip.  I've argued for cutting MGS2, since that game really seems to be Zelda 2 status to me, but Mike won't have any of that.  Not sure what else to say...
that Metroidvania guy
Looks like PoP was already cut.

From the donation ideas thread:
Quote from Axel Ryman:
Devil May Cry 3 can be  added for whether I play as Dante or Vergil, however I might ask Mike to take it off the schedule since I can't practice it at the moment due to a broken controller.

So yea, if Axel can't guarantee that he'll be able to practice this game at all soon, there's 2 and a half hours freed up right there. Rondo/Dracula X (30 min) would be one to consider chopping off because even though the game is widely liked by hardcore Castlevania fans, I'm not sure the general populace really knows the game, and the runners who are racing it are in other races anyway (multiple races each? I forget). Could also axe Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (1 hour; what's with all the Kirby hate in this thread anyway?) since all participants in that race have at least one other game, but since Mercury is otherwise only slotted for the shortest co-op game in Super Star, might not be the best idea.

Uncharted 2 already seems to be off the list and it's still at 104 hours though, so if it were added back on I guess even more would have to be cut? I wouldn't suggest cutting MGS2, and I really don't see obvious cuts anywhere so yea... *wanders off*
rom i don't really care about kirby one way or the other.  but iirc we started off with 5 kirby games on the schedule, which is the same as metroid/zelda/castlevania.  i just don't buy kirby being on that level, that's all.  2 seems very reasonable to me!
Fucking Weeaboo
I can understand cutting either Rondo or Dracula X Chronicles, but not both, since one is a remake of the other.  I'd rather keep DXC and keep a race with Satoryu.

I don't want to see Nightmare in Dreamland cut, since it is very good Kirby game.  I don't care about being in multiple races, since it is all I have left. Sad
Edit history:
arkarian: 2010-10-03 06:39:59 pm
gamelogs.org
Quote from Josh the Funkdoc:
Actually ark, to be serious, what 3 hours would you argue are worth cutting instead?

one that i mentioned to mike is wario land 5. i love that game but no one has ever heard of it and it's 1:40. i know it's flip's only game but uncharted 2 was my only game too, and it's incredibly popular on an order of magnitude greater than wl5. other ideas mentioned were dmc3, mgs2, and i forget the others. if uncharted 2 is cut then it's cut, but i still won't understand why. it's more popular nowadays than 80% of the games on the list.
Idea... What if we cut all the games are are variables, then have donations to get them on the final list? I know many will disagree with this and I fully understand that. But how bout letting the viewers decide?

And yes, I kinda expect getting bashed for this idea and I know its a flawed idea.
gamelogs.org
or you know, make it a 110 hour marathon Tongue
Quote from arkarian:
or you know, make it a 110 hour marathon Tongue

this^^^^^^^^^^^
gamelogs.org
well obviously the reason to not do that is because there has to be a line drawn somewhere. but if no more games are being added now and we're just a few hours over why not just leave it a few hours over so no one has to get the shaft? tagline could be "awesome games done quick -- playing for over 100 hours!"
Visually Appealing
Something just came to me. Streaming DXC is going to look like shit if the video isn't cropped, especially if two DXCs are side by side. Can the video actually be cropped or zoomed in for that?
Haters gonna hate
Actually, having ~105 scheduled hours (which is what we have now) wouldn't be a terrible thing, especially since we aren't billing this as "this many games in X days/hours" thing, but rather just running through a line up for however long it takes.  We'll have the center still, so I don't see why this would be a problem really.  The line up we have now is really solid, and it really seems a shame to cut anything we don't have to at this point.

The only thing I'd really suggest if this were to happen though is to adjust the approximate start time.  Currently, assuming a 5 or 6 PM Thursday start time has us finishing at 3 or 4 AM technically Tuesday morning for 105 projected hours.  That wouldn't be too bad, but if last year's any indication we'll run over so it'd be more like the 6 to 7 AM range.  Probably would want to push the start time back to no later than 3 PM.  That'd have us scheduled to finish around 1 AM with a more likely result of about 4 AM, which is roughly when we finished last time.

Talked to Mike about it, and he's on board with the idea.  Nothing else is going to be cut for time considerations, though nothing else will be added either most likely.  Really, the only way anything new will get in is if somebody has to cancel and a spot opens up.
Talk to the Hand
Hmm. Interesting. Just don't put me first then, Silver and I will probably be getting there at about 3PM on the 6th if all goes well.