--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Warepire: 2015-10-23 09:19:57 am
Heavy Metal Powered
Still going through the videos, some interesting details so far, I don't have anything to add for training -> rootbeer abbey.

You should be able to pick up a powered splitter for the connector type you use and feed the audio and video back into your TV as well as to the computer for recording. Might make it easier to play.

EDIT:
In Aphasia:
The room you're in at ~10:15 in the video, you don't need to push that first block, you can make the jump anyway, there's a note from me earlier in this thread how to do it.
Due to my current living situation, I can't do any sort of speedrunning for a while. I'll have to wait until the second half of this month.
Hey there! I recently had the pleasure of meeting Fenns at AGDQ this year who introduced me to this game and I'm definitely interested in running it. It has a very similar feel to Blasto to me, so it's well within my comfort zone. During the short time I messed with it, I did find some OOB tricks on my own using damage boots from enemies. Fenns linked me here and the thread on TAS videos and I can see you guys have found similar OOB methods in slightly different ways.

Upon reading up a bit, especially on the TASVids page, I noticed something about getting these clips relying on the relative speed of Kingsley during the clip being 32 (his running speed) and during an enemy attack it resets his speed to 0 on the first frame then down to his normal walk speed at 20.

Now when I found the OOB clips on my own, I was using the method of back-flipping during an enemy attack and was getting much success for taller enemies (not so much for the likes of spiders). With this in mind, I have a feeling that the back-flip may have a speed similar to running in a short moment in addition to getting a proper jump height during an attack that allows for getting the clips successfully. I don't have the resources such as a ROM or things used by TASers, so I'm just making that assumption based on the info I'm reading from you guys.

Speaking of, I found a ROM and plan to dive into the game very soon and will get an actual physical copy relatively soon. In the meantime, if you guys have any resources I could use to help further route this game, feel free to share (ie. I noticed during some testing on the TASVids thread, damage not being taken allowing for constant attempts at clipping). I'm not hugely familiar with emulation due to preferring actual copies of the games I play, so any help in those terms would be great.

Until then, I'm looking forward to breaking this game further Cheesy
Heavy Metal Powered
I am very much looking forward to seeing some runs done of this game. Good luck Saint Connor!
animal people aaaaa
I'm planning on working on this game again as well. The OoB Conner found plus the discoveries in the TAS thread have got me excited again.

Here's hoping we can destroy dungeon 4 and possibly completely skip dungeon 3.
So I made a couple quick highlights.

First is to show how backflipping can boost OoB (bonus of silly enemy death): http://www.twitch.tv/saintconnor/v/35185283

Second is me working with a corner early in dungeon 2 (grape key room) that could maybe skip the pineapple door? Hard to say http://www.twitch.tv/saintconnor/v/35186509

I feel like the platform is too short to allow for a proper OoB boost onto the wall and spiders are too unreliable because their attack animation has no start up for a visual cue. Might be worth looking into still.
animal people aaaaa
If there's any way to get on top of a wall, in any level, we should be able to skip that entire room and head straight to the next loading trigger.

My dream is still to complete the first dungeon and then clip into the final boss so I plan on working on that.
Quote from Fenns:
If there's any way to get on top of a wall, in any level, we should be able to skip that entire room and head straight to the next loading trigger.

In theory...

However, with the Library example, you can get on top of the wall, but its the super high shit and there is no safe way down. The side walls are short and you'll die if you land on those and the loading zone is too far away to just jump into. So we just have to take our time and try to map shit out...which can be hard with these giant ass walls
Edit history:
Saint Connor: 2016-01-13 12:35:10 pm
Saint Connor: 2016-01-13 12:35:10 pm
Pineapple skip for dungeon 2 exists:

Working with Oxysoft over in the TASVideos thread. He got it to work using my backflip method. I just gave it a try myself and its quite easy. Only down side atm is that you have to get the grape key still. You can get in the room without it, but according to Oxy it does some weird things to the minions in the room and basically makes it impossible to do anything.

But this is still good and this actually skips a good portion of early dungeon 2. Progress being made! Cheesy
Oxy made a resource page. I suggest looking at it for anyone interested in running the game. You can find it here: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/PSX/KingsleysAdventure.html
So, I've been in quite a hiatus, and I apologize. The last year has been quite a year to say the least and I'm still trying to find my headspace. But I do very much intend on getting back into things and especially back into KA. I ordered a physical copy of the game and soon as I find my old hard drive, I'll be putting in emu work again and getting used to controls and whatnot. I see Oxy has still be doing some work on the resource page and youtube, and that's fucking awesome. Hopefully we can put our heads together again and take this game down.
I finally found a game i want to speedrun and i'm actually going to make a full run on this game soon, been trying out some of the skips and trying to improve some of them and just finding a good route. hopefully someone else is interested in making more runs after!
Found a way to skip the green plant puzzle in the 3rd dungeon and there are two ways to do it one hard without death abuse and one easy with death abuse.
First (Deathless): As you come in to the room you go directly to the right where the first monster is, get him to follow you over to the cage where the plant is and do a Upwarp using him.
(This will put you at the height limit of the map so be carefull) make sure you don't change direction and just run forward a few steps.
Now to the hard part, just have to land exactly on the plant to cancel Kingsley's fall, and once you have the plant just face the monster again and do a upwarp again to get out again, follow along the wall and jump to hit the trigger for the other room.

Second (With death, also faster i think): first part with the Upwarp is all the same as the Deathless, the only change is when you sidestep of the edge you stop as soon as you are off the edge to land on the ground and abuse the sidestep mechanic and move while dead to pick up the plant. you respawn at the entrence with the plant and can just backwards jump out!

Thought i mention that there is another alternative in this room to upwarp without the monster, but its a bit more precise, there is a coffin placed along the wall just before the cage and if you time it pefectly you can go inbetween the wall and the coffin and jump to upwarp, you don't really lose any time trying this just make sure the monster is still following you if you are doing the deathless alternative.
Did some further investigation in to manipulation Kingsley's speed & trying to find somehow to wrongwarp and found something very interesting, my theory from the beginning was that he moved faster outside and slower inside. so i actually found something entirely different that i didn't expect.

First off, if you change Kingsley's state to the maximum value possible it directly drops down to 60 (i think, can't check right now) and shoots of in the direction hes facing but you lose all control what so ever.
Maybe useful if we can get to manipulate his state?

Second
I found all the memory values for all keys and more interesting on one of my play through of the training part i tried to manipulate all sorts of different thing in the game to find a weird result. and just briefly the Purple grape key changed state from 0 to 1 way before i event talked to the king and queen.
The downside of this is that i tried to redo all my steps but have not yet been able to recreate this glitch.
This could skip having to talk to the king and queen and save some time.

Third and most interesting in my opinion.
Kingsley have a size value depending if hes outside or inside, i found this when i was trying to find if there is a specific value for all rooms/dungeons. the size value control almost everything with Kingsley, hitbox/collisionbox speed and jump height the only thing that remains the same is when he sidestep its exactly the same speed.

My thoughts on this is that maybe we can get the outside value of his size and use it while inside of the dungeons, this could really change the routes inside some dungeons and allover speed up everything, but then again need to find a way to carry over the value somehow.
Awesome stuff man. You should post up some vids as you find things. Would like to see how things work in action.

I knew you could do the plant skip, but for some reason when I tried it and died, I lost it and had to get it again. Not sure exactly what happened. Regardless, if it's consistent enough, it will definitely save time moving all those damn boxes around in that room.

The grape key thing is interesting, but without really knowing or seeing what is going on, I wouldn't be able to help you recreate it :/. But I would definitely look into that if I were you. If we can somehow manipulate keys, that would be amazing.
Edit history:
oxysoft: 2017-07-06 08:35:28 am
oxysoft: 2017-07-06 08:35:01 am
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:30:31 pm
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:29:54 pm
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:28:54 pm
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:27:35 pm
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:27:21 pm
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:26:17 pm
oxysoft: 2017-07-05 09:25:54 pm
Hey guys, I decided to create an account here since this thread understandably receives more activity than the TAS thread. I've been playing around in KA on and off for the past couple of months trying to find new tricks, and unfortunately, I haven't had too much luck. I did find a few things but nothing major, or of any use at all atm. Still, any useless find has the potential to reveal itself to be more useful than we previously thought, so here we go...

First off, a few months ago I achieved what I, at first, considered to be the holy grail of upwarps in this game: an upwarp in the main room inside carrot castle. I've been grinding that one for months and getting what felt like incredibly close to doing it, but no luck. At long last, I managed to isolate a reliable way to do it after, it happened as I was glitch hunting live on twitch. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/115988099 The excitement was short-lived unfortunately as I discovered soon after that the stupid walls next to the door to the main hub area are all low walls, unlike the rest of the walls in that room which are 10k walls. Again, getting trolled by those 10k walls, nothing unusual. A way to mitigate fall damage would be the next best find for this game, although I don't see it happening any time soon considering I've grinded that one for a while already without any results.

Next, I found a potential strat for Rex. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/115760614 It seems like if you don't move at all at the start of the fight and let him walk to you, then time your hits to only ever do the first attack of the sword combo, he'll keep taking hits and do nothing. He does warp away at about 1/3 of his HP left, so I'm unsure if there is some RNG involved, or maybe I messed up the timing, who knows. It's a good start though.

I've been making some progress on Gallagher. So usually, he won't jump to you if you stand in shallow water and he'll simply jump to the center of the arena instead. However, the radius of allowed positions bleeds slightly into some water areas, and there's a place in particular where if you get the right angle, he'll jump to you and get stuck in the middle of 2-3 elevated platforms. If you get lucky with the RNG after that, he'll try to jump to one of those platformes and since he's too close, he'll just bump into the wall and you can keep hitting him. It's really unreliable though and much remains to be optimized in this fight. I also discovered that deep water will not ohko him like it does to Clarence in the third dungeon. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/114337614

I discovered by accident that enemy arrows can activate targets just like yours. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/114338575 Obviously not for RTA but could be cool for the planned TAS.

Now we get into the new stuff which I found recently.

First, in the second hub world, when you enter Snuff's dungeon, there is a short cutscene with the door closing in on you entering inside. It turns out we can do a REALLY weird upwarp on his left hand (to the right, visually) and then bypass that trigger. I say that it's weird because the polygons are literally straight, it's not an angled corner or anything, and yet you can just run straight into it and jump a few times until it works. I completed the dungeon afterwards and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The door was even closed when I went back, so this seems like it's just a cosmetic thing. I think it's possible to shave like a second or two in the TAS with this but it doesn't seem worth it at all for RTA, unless we find a reliable way to do it. Doing the upwarp is not the only difficult part though, because it turns out the warp zone in the void of the door is actually really hard to hit manually without the cutscene, you have to just wiggle in there until it finally triggers.

Second of all, I found an interesting warp zone glitch. This is doable in most home world maps it seems where controls aren't quite taken away from you until you land, but the camera does get locked regardless. All you gotta do is sidestep into the trigger zone and then sidestep out to land outside, all in one jump. Pretty easy to do but I'm not sure if it has any implication so far. Who knows if locking the camera is the only thing that happens during the first phase of those triggers.

Now, we get into the most important one so far, I think. During the training, if you sequence break with an upwarp and pick up the cherry key, it will RESPAWN after a short wait, and you can rack in as many cherry keys as you want. There's no way to carry those cherry keys however because you're essentially stuck in that room until you quit the game. Note that if you beat the sergeant at the start of the room before skipping everything up until the cherry key, it will not respawn, so beating sergeant is the trigger here.

Other than that, I've been spending a lot of time crashing the game with green portals but I haven't gotten anything out of that still so far. If you don't know how to do that, do the glitch to walk in first-person by hitting both buttons at the same time, and enter the portal looking all the way down. I believe the cause of the crash is the same as some other crashes I've had where the camera attempted a movement that was too ambitious, such as going OOB in seatown, walking to the complete opposite of the map and then diving in water, causing the game to spawn you all the way back in-bounds. The camera moving too radically to catch up to you crashes the game, oddly enough.

Finally, just a little tidbit I'd like to point out that may be useful. If you wait long enough without touching the controls, Kingsley will enter an idle animation where he kind of stretches. If you hit any input that isn't start or 1st person mode during that state, he'll cancel out by jumping. But here's an interesting fact: if you inspect the state value during that jump, it's not the same as a regular jump. I have no idea if that means anything, but I have a feeling that there's definitely some fuckery we can do with the state values.

Also nice work, FearingSpoon. I'm sure there's far more to uncover about this game if we keep digging. If you could share the address for that value you speak of at the end of your post, that'd be great. Finding a movement tech that allows us to walk faster should be a high priority I think if we're going to hunt for exploits because that would open up so many possibilities, including new upwarps. Due to the busted scenery collision detection in this game, unassisted 90-degree corner upwarps will most likely become a thing if we can somehow get faster than 32 forward movement speed.