Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Wow, I really need to get out of my dungeon and back to being active again. I can't believe I've taken so long to get back to this that another user beat me to it!

Yeah, given that the timer is active during the unskippable cutscenes, the timer is still valid and using manual timing is silly to even consider.

I'm eager to see what innovations (if any) you display in your speedrun, but honestly, the 3:15 time worries me, even for a SS speedrun.

Quote from FractalFusion:
Try to use the information in the other JSRF topic. There are a few great timesavers.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,6004.0.html

Hey Fractal! Glad to see you still care to see a JSRF speedrun! I know I'm taking forever, but I definitely don't plan to let you down!
I don't see how a 3:12 time worries you. You got 2:42 with your segmented run. To be honest that's other worldly. You had to have used Gum to do that right? And my main concern about the timer was that the time it displays is longer than the video itself by about 10 minutes, which doesn't make any sense. Anyway I'm loading up a quality test now. I'll make a new topic in the correct part of the forum once it's uploaded. It should be alright. It's a minute long and it's about 23mb big (3mbps).
Edit history:
trihex: 2009-10-05 11:06:45 am
Quote from The Claw:
I don't see how a 3:12 time worries you. You got 2:42 with your segmented run.

Sorry if I hit a sensitive spot with my comment about your time. Take it with a grain of salt given I know nothing about your SS other than the total time. Though I'm anxious to check it out once it's out or whatever. Smiley

Quote from The Claw:
You had to have used Gum to do that right?

Actually, I use YoYo (has the highest Grind available at first, which I assume means he grinds the fastest?) up until Graham is available, which is the main for his even better Grind rating. Then, for the final boss segment, Clutch is used for being able to hold more cans.

Quote from The Claw:
And my main concern about the timer was that the time it displays is longer than the video itself by about 10 minutes, which doesn't make any sense. Anyway I'm loading up a quality test now. I'll make a new topic in the correct part of the forum once it's uploaded. It should be alright. It's a minute long and it's about 23mb big (3mbps).

Ah, I'm sitting here spitting accusations about the "perfect" game in-timer, but of course I was too lazy to ever compare it to manual timing to confirm that. >_>; Anyway, very excited for you, can't wait to see all the footage!
Well to be honest I don't really know what you mean by when you said that you were worried. Anyway the quality video is up so please can someone check it?

EDIT: oh and as far as I know about the Grind stat affecting the speed, This is taken from IGN:

Grind The higher the stat, the better a character is at catching grinds and maintaining grind speed. In other words, a person with poor grind may miss a wire that someone with a high level would actually land on even though they are slightly off-target.

From reading that I would suggest that it only means how long they can stay at max speed before they need to do another trick. I could be wrong but you know.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
The Claw: What tri-hex meant by worried was how much higher your SS 3:12 was than his segmented 2:42.
Hmmm well it looks like I got some ground work to catch up on. Because of this it will probably be a couple of months before I get a run that I'm satisfied with. It will also be delayed because I'm currently working on portfolio work to get into university. Once that is submitted I can focus more on getting this run done. I don't think I'll be completely abandoning this altogether though so just give me time to work on this.
Edit history:
trihex: 2009-10-09 12:41:42 am
Quote from The Claw:
Hmmm well it looks like I got some ground work to catch up on. Because of this it will probably be a couple of months before I get a run that I'm satisfied with. It will also be delayed because I'm currently working on portfolio work to get into university. Once that is submitted I can focus more on getting this run done. I don't think I'll be completely abandoning this altogether though so just give me time to work on this.

This run wasn't already submitted? I was under the impression that you had stealth-submitted a run ready for verification.

EDIT: Nevermind, noticed the Tech Support thread about the quality of the video and stuff..
Hey guys. About time I revived this topic after about two weeks of no updates for it. I finished my university submission requirements and handed them in last week so I'm pretty much free to practice this run. I've been experimenting with different characters, mainly Yoyo/Rhyth to see who is the best. Personally I think Gum is still the best. It's a lot easier to do Tagger's Tag as you can take out Poison Jam with a straight 30 cans on each one instead of having to go back and get more can to finish them off. I also think she has a slight better jump too as jumps that I can do with Gum I can't with Yoyo or Rhyth. However they are still very useful in the earlier parts of the game when you're spraying levels as they are the only characters in the game who have better graffiti-spraying stats than anyone else (apart from Pots and NT-3000 of course). I've also changed my routing in some spots as well. Instead of getting Clutch at Chuo Street I take a chance and get him at Pharaoh Park despite having to do a Tagger's Tag and a cop battle, I think it's a bit quicker. Another issue is the Graffiti Souls. Now since I first started going for this run I have maintained the same Graffiti Soul paths. I don't get any Mystery Tapes so I have to suffice with the Souls that are just laying around the levels to begin with. These are the souls that I get (also keep in mind you start off with 20 Souls, you need 25 to meet Rapid 99 and 40 to meet Clutch):

Dogenzaka Hill: I get all 3. They're all really easy and not out of the way at all.
Shibuya Terminal: I get all 3. The first one I get while I'm spraying the Graffiti (and I have conjured a specific route in which I think is the fastest way to do it) and the other two just before I talk to PJ for the third time. The last one is hella risky though as I boost dash from the Soul in the building to the one sitting on top of the bus and precision aiming is needed here.
Chuo Street: I get all 3. "Death" abuse is used after I get the Soul by the water as it warps me back to the main route in the level. The one where you have to boost off the Hayashi Building I get after I verse Hayashi (duh).
Rokkaku Dai: I get all 3. The one that is closest to the second Graffiti Stop is a bit out of the way but it doesn't burn up that much time. The one on top of the train station is gathered last when I backtrack to the Garage.
99th Street: I get the two Souls which you need to Wallride to get. The other one I think is impossible to get at that point in the game. It doesn't matter though as I have well over 25 Souls at this point to meet Rapid 99.
Sewers: I only get the soul that's next to the first switch. Why I don't get the one before it in the halfpipe is because it's too nit-picky to get. I don't get any Souls in the bottom point either.
Kibogoaka Hill: I get the two Souls that in the area just after that spot where the massive power lines are. These are not out of the way at all and are easy to get.
Skyscraper District: I get the very last Soul here at the very start of the level. It's a gimmie soul and it's in my direct path so I had to get it. The others were too much out of the way and I already have 40 Souls by then.

I'm pretty happy with what souls I get and when I get them but if anyone has any suggestions that would be cool. To be honest though I must do so many things wrong to get a time that is 30 minutes longer than a segmented run. Do you somehow skip the cut scenes or what a 2:42 run WITH cut scenes is insane.
Edit history:
trihex: 2009-10-23 02:47:28 pm
Quote from The Claw:
I've been experimenting with different characters, mainly Yoyo/Rhyth to see who is the best. Personally I think Gum is still the best.

Whenever I get my X360 back from a friend of mine, I'd like to practice and try out the different starter characters to see if Yoyo/Garaham/Clutch is really the best combination. Given that the grind stat doesn't mean grind speed directly like I thought in 2007, there's more experimentation needed in this area.

Quote from The Claw:
Another issue is the Graffiti Souls. Now since I first started going for this run I have maintained the same Graffiti Soul paths. I don't get any Mystery Tapes so I have to suffice with the Souls that are just laying around the levels to begin with. These are the souls that I get (also keep in mind you start off with 20 Souls, you need 25 to meet Rapid 99 and 40 to meet Clutch):

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be getting at least (probably a bunch more) the tape in Dogenzaka Hill. IIRC, there's at least 3 souls that are easily activateable  on the way to Shibuya Terminal that can be obtained easily while destroying the Noise Tank clones later in the game. Either way, "not getting any tapes" is not faster, and you should replan your soul route (possibly try the route detailed in the original thread from mastermind Fractal).

Quote from The Claw:
To be honest though I must do so many things wrong to get a time that is 30 minutes longer than a segmented run. Do you somehow skip the cut scenes or what a 2:42 run WITH cut scenes is insane.

The 2:42 (game timer) time is obtained from the autosave after the credits (which are like 10 minutes long), which are after the ridiculously-long final cutscene, which is after the also retardedly-long boss monologue after defeating him. Trust me, I wish there was a way or method discovered to skip cutscenes. I probably would've got around to finishing the segmented speedrun way sooner and not grown frustrated as fast if it weren't for them.

Actually, the 2:42 sucks ass. I recently watched what survived (segments 6 to 10), and I'm disgusted at how half-ass everything is. Missing jumps, camera navigation issues, and an embarassingly unoptimized final boss fight as Clutch. On a positive note, I'm editing a 10-minute trailer of what's presentable to reward those who've been waiting for a JSRF speedrun from me for the past 2 years. And also that I'm very serious about getting back at this, at the minimum, starting on it this year. Smiley
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
I'd use Gum but that's mostly cuz she's cute. Lips Sealed

Actually I had a question. I didn't merge this with the previous thread originally because that one was any% and this one is min% supposedly. But isn't the any% going to be min souls anyway? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.
Well the minimum amount of souls to beat the game is 40. I suppose if you really took the min% literally that could also mean not getting any mystery tapes but I really didn't mean it like that. If I was wrong to call it a min% run then sorry about that. Anyway I think I might stick with just using Gum for the entire run like before. I feel the most at home with her and I'm pretty sure she's still the fastest. I'm going to try to adapt some more shortcuts I found in the other topic. I had no idea about the cop battle trick in Kibogoaka Hill. Very clever.
Quote from Enhasa:
I'd use Gum but that's mostly cuz she's cute. Lips Sealed

Actually I had a question. I didn't merge this with the previous thread originally because that one was any% and this one is min% supposedly. But isn't the any% going to be min souls anyway? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

I labeled my speedrun as "any%" because I was in the interest of best time and not caring about what I gathered along the way. Whether or not I gathered certain mystery tapes was irrelevant to me because I was only interested in the 20 easiest and fastest souls to get. As The Claw mentioned, "min%" could be defined as no tapes obtained, which I find alone isn't a big enough characteristic to bother with it. Only if some major exploit was found that could bypass the 40 soul requirement to finish (Rapid 99/Clutch), then I'd say it'd be a worthwhile category. "100%" would be a total chore with having to gather every soul, complete every challenge on every mystery tape, unlock every character, and then do every misc. challenge mode (Jet Rush, etc.).

Ideally, I'd say a "complete" JSRF SDA page would contain an "any%" SS, "any%" segmented, and Jet Rush IL table. Smiley

I still haven't answered your question yet, I know Enhasa, I'm rambling. Merging would be a good idea, as I plan to bump the original thread (which contains all the valuable route notes, shortcuts and tricks Fractal pointed out, and the link to that one guy's Jet Rush IL YouTube videos) once I have the 10-minute trailer of the 2007 concept speedrun uploaded (sometime tomorrow or Sunday night).
Ok, merging it is.
Edit history:
The Claw: 2009-10-24 09:40:20 pm
Heh for a second I was wondering what happened to my topic LOL. Anyway I couldn't help but noticing you mentioned something about an auto-save after the credits. Now I don't know if you mean this quite literally or not but I have to manually save after the credits. And because of your recommendations I'll get the Mystery Tape in Dogenzaka and see how that helps. If I get 5 extra Souls there I could cut out some of the souls that are out of the way (the ones at Rokkaku-Dai spring to mind) and a couple of others in another level (although I'm pretty happy with most of them like the two that I get at Kibgoaka Hill).

EDIT: Quick question. Are there any speed differences between the PAL and NTSC version of the game or the system entirely? I'm just curious because I know in some of the other older systems this is the case but was it remedied within the Xbox?
Edit history:
trihex: 2009-10-25 09:30:44 am
After putting up with my laziness for over two years now, I (finally) present a reward to the followers of this thread and all progress of an overdue JSRF speedrun:
The JSRF 2007 concept speedrun trailer!

[flash=640,385]

As mentioned previously, disc 1 of this version corrupted and I don't have any footage from segments 1-5. So the trailer consists of crap from the much less demanding segments later in the speedrun which include some destroying all Noise Tank clones in Dogenzaka Hill, tagging the Noise Tanks in Sky Dinosaurian Square, and the second half of Residential Zone along with the helicopter boss fight. It must said that I was quite disgusted with this whole speedrun while watching all the surviving footage in full during the Anri process. There are so many visible missed jumps, stumbles, camera issues I fight with, lack of speed optimization (jumping off rails all the time; when that's rarely a good idea versus just grinding a rail and shuffling afterward), etc. I'm very happy I didn't send this garbage in back in '07, and I plan to finally get around to doing something about everything pretty soon! Smiley

For some reason, (probably my fault) it seems the quality in the encoding took a turn for the worse shortly after the Dogenzaka segment. By the time you see the Residential segment, it's barely visible what's going on. I tried encoding it twice (once at HQ, this one at IQ) and conclude that I probably recorded this from my DVD recorder on a lower quality on accident or something. Sorry about that.

Quote from The Claw:
Anyway I couldn't help but noticing you mentioned something about an auto-save after the credits. Now I don't know if you mean this quite literally or not but I have to manually save after the credits.

It's an auto-save in the sense that after Professor K does his final monlogue, it prompts you to the save screen automatically (as opposed to having to go to RoBoy in the garage to do so). To lessen the confusion I included the save in the trailer. But due to the quality it may be tough to see, so here you go:

Quote from The Claw:
And because of your recommendations I'll get the Mystery Tape in Dogenzaka and see how that helps. If I get 5 extra Souls there I could cut out some of the souls that are out of the way (the ones at Rokkaku-Dai spring to mind) and a couple of others in another level (although I'm pretty happy with most of them like the two that I get at Kibgoaka Hill).

It seems that you still haven't tried to at least see where all the tape challenge souls spawn at to get an idea of which ones are the worth activating and getting. I highly recommend you read this post and this post which detail the route choices and souls obtained in the 2007 concept speedrun (Which the trailer contains footage from) and branch-off stuff too annoying to bother with in a SS.
For a single-segment, the bosses are a huge pain to do well. The first drone in Hikage St., the Noise Tanks in Sky Dinosaurian Square, the Lizard Man in Chuo St., and the Train in Site of Tokyo Line come to mind. So that may be a contributing factor to a 3:12 time.

The Claw, how did you do in your boss battles?
The drone I can take down in two goes at tagging it. It's just getting up there which was the problem but now I know about that shortcut so I'll definitely be implementing that in my next go. The Noise Tanks are a pain in the arse. They're one of the worst boss battles. I can usually get two down just before I get to the halfway mark (where they jump off the ride to get more cans) but it's always the third that gets me because I usually knock him off by accident and that means I have to wait for him or go back to the start of the level if he's stuck in that spot and keeps running into the fence (odd glitch that one). In all probably a lot more refining in my strategy on that one. The Golden Rhino bosses in Chuo Street and Highway Zero are piss easy. With the Chuo Street one I have a pretty good strategy: at the start I boost dash him and spray as much as I can on him before he gets up and repels away. When he extends his arms at me I take the hits so the grind isn't long. I spray him and then boost dash him and then spray him again. Naturally this uses all 30 cans so I go to that spot where all the cans are and stock up. While I'm doing that Extendo is getting ready for his next attack so I'm not wasting time here. I wait for him to extend his arm again and do the same thing as before. After that he's dead. It's a pretty quick battle if you ask me. The Tokyo Line is a give and take one though. I have my good days and bad days. I judge my performance on what part of Fly Like A butterfly is playing when I defeat it (which is what I also do throughout the entire game). If I can beat the train in less than one cycle of the song it's a good day. I know the trick is to just stop and wait but I have poor judgment of when to actually do that which is something I'll obviously need to work on. The final boss with Gouji I take the path which takes you up the spiral staircase as it is definitely the fastest way up. My plan is to have a maximum of two trips up there: first 30 cans to boost dash and spray with what I have left and then second time I finish him off. He's a pretty easy boss if you ask me. Your range is incredible and you can just stand in the one spot before he even realises you're tagging him.
Quote from t r i - h e x:
The JSRF 2007 concept speedrun trailer!

I watched this. It was pretty cool, although JSRF is way too demanding to look good on Youtube.
Hey everyone. It's been almost a year since I posted on here. As you know video games come second to things that matter (or at least SHOULD come second) so I haven't had that much time to work on this run. Plus when I was posting here last I was growing a bit tired of the game and wanted to give it a rest. Now that I'm back I have some great news to share with regards to the JSRF SS min% speed run.

If you look back on some of my posts I complained on several occasions about the in-game timer to be faulty and I also asked if there were pacing issues between the PAL and the NTSC versions of the game. Well, it turns out there is. By simply switching to PAL60 mode on my Xbox I managed to get a time of 2:45 on one of my practice runs (compare to the 3:12 time I posted on here). Not only are the visuals a lot crisper and in sync, the pacing is incredible. It took me a while to get used to how fast the game was actually running. This obviously fixed the in-game timer issue.

My 2:45 run as a whole was pretty damn good. I did waste a lot of time on the train battle (I ran out of cans when it only needed one more hit and I spent 2 minutes trying to do it :S) and also on the Gouji Battle (fell off a couple times and my boost dashes were off). The run has remained almost exactly the same as it has since I started going for this run. I don't collect any tapes and only collect the Graffiti Souls that are already lying around. With a bit more refining and practice on certain parts I am sure I would be able to match or even beat tri-hex's proposed 2:42 time (unless there is a better time that I need to be aware of). If I end up submitting this I'll probably just mail a DVD to the HQ because the game's visuals are much too demanding for a streamed online video IMO.

So there you have it. I apologise for bumping this old topic however I didn't want to make a new one when this one already existed. If anyone wants to share some tips or tricks that I could implement into my run, please do so. The main ones are the Clutch at Kibogaoka Hill trick, the Terror Drone stair climb trick and the FRZ skip the top level trick. Cheers.
Weegee Time
I loved playing JSRF recently, and I am very much interested in an SS run.  Make it do, Claw! :]
Hey guys, just a short update on the run. What are some good tips when it comes to quality control of recording? I'm using a Winfast DTV2000H TV card to record this and I was curious as to how I should tweak the settings (brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation and luma) to get the best picture. Also I've gone for broke and I'm using an uncompressed AVI format to record. The file is going to be huge, so I'll probably end up mailing a DVD to headquarters. Any other thoughts?
Edit history:
bmn: 2010-09-10 06:58:48 am
If possible use Lagarith set to YUY2 colourspace, instead of uncompressed.

I wouldn't actually recommend tweaking any settings during recording. If necessary you can do that later, secure in the knowledge that you haven't potentially ruined a recording before it's even begun.

Also, a ~2h30 run in Lagarith? I'd estimate 15 DVDs to send that to nate. Multiply that by 2 or 3 for uncompressed.
OK I just went for a practice run and recorded it in uncompressed AVI. The file is 42gb (ie. a lot of DVDs) however I'm more concerned about the in-game timer again. The run I just took I did it in 2:46 (epic fail I know) however the video itself is almost 10 minutes shorter than the displayed time. How is that even possible? Is there some kind of bug within the game's timer or something?
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Just so you know Claw, In most situation if the gameplay doesn't match the Displayed time, the verifiers would go ahead and just time the run manually...  Who know if it could be the equipment you record with or if that is how JSRF works... All the same though Go off the time you set for yourself instead of the displayed time if you see if the times don't match up...

Outside of that, just remember that the time set by Tri-Hex (which from what I can gather from the earlier posts and what you said earlier) 2:42 segment would be the time to beat, and if the 2:46 is what you got in a SS run, then I would imagine that that would still be a good run to post...  Otherwise, keep practicing, alot of people are still patiently waiting to see Jet set radio future get added to SDA, including myself, so best of luck..
Weegee Time
I'd say 2:46 would be a great time if you're using the segmented time as the benchmark, considering how much can go wrong input wise in this game.  I always seemed to have a problem with oversensitive controls. ._.;