List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
trihex: 2010-10-04 01:32:42 am
trihex: 2010-10-04 01:31:11 am
trihex: 2009-10-25 09:31:43 am
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
My 6th speedrun has been decided. I will be recording this alongside some expected improvements for a 7th generation of Yoshi's Island 100% individual level stuff, as already noted in its thread.

About JSRF, it's a game I wanted to speedrun soon after I obtained my debit card and began eBaying stuff for the first time. It was the second thing I purchased online since I found it at a killer bargain of $5 on estarland.com!

The excellent level design, pacing, difficulty and that godly soundtrack that made playing a pleasure is enough for me to consider this a must.

The difficulty comes from practicing segments. Upon booting up the game, that damn "DON'T SPRAY STUFF, CUZ SEGA SAID SO" disclaimer is forced for a dreaded 15 seconds. There's no "load game" option anywhere except the title screen. And loading anywhere results in ignoring however many spray cans you had and leaves you at 0.

Min% would require getting the minimum amount of graffiti souls among other minor complications no one cares about. While 100% would absolutely bore me with having to obtain all the tapes, do all the insane challenges, graffiti souls, all characters, etc. Any% is what I'm doing.

It's somewhat out of place for me to speedrun a sequel before the original. But for right now, I'm more fluent with JSRF than the original JSR. To quit playing JSRF at my prime to relearn JSR right now would be silly. I'm sure I'll revisit and do JSR whenever I have time to.

For the run, I plan to use Yo-Yo, and in the time while he's kidnapped, Gum. Yo-Yo for mashing A on him at the character select, plus his grind speed is higher than everyone else's at the time. Then Gum for the higher acceleration.

Segments should be fairly lengthy. Memorizing routes for spraying is a lot easier than what I remembered the first time I played, then again, that was 4 years ago (pres-peedrunning days). So far, here's what I have planned, segment wise:

--------------------------------------------------

S e g /// 001
- Tutorial w/ Gum
-- Obtain as many cans as possible, at least 10.

- Dogenzaka Hill 1
-- Have 20+ cans in hand by the end of the graffiti route.
-- Obtain 2 Graffiti Souls.
-- Meet Beat
-- Race Beat
-- Police Fight 1

- Shibuya Terminal 1
-- Tag all of Poison Jam's graffiti.
-- Meet Poison Jam

- Chuo Street 1
-- Tag most of Poison Jam's graffiti, except after the T-Rex statue.
-- Own the tanks
-- Knock Hayashi off the edge of the roof, killing him, faster than spraying him.
-- Finishing the remaining graffiti.

- Rakkoku-Dai Heights 1
-- Save

Total Predicted Time: 15 min-ish
--------------------------------------------------

I'd have to replay to make sure I didn't forget anything. And I was considering to begin recording segments until I realized that once you enter 99 Street, the Rapid 99 girls won't reveal Poison Jam's hideout until you get 5 Graffiti Souls, something that affects the entire plan for the earlier segment.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-03-27 03:37:29 am
I used to love this game before, especially the test runs.

If you hate going through startup, tutorial, and a 1.5-minute cutscene a hundred times, save yourself the boredom and save at first opportunity (P.S. I also dislike controller vibration).

You need 25 Souls for Rapid 99 and 40 Souls for Clutch.

I recommend turning up all Souls in Dogenzaka Hill on first visit, grabbing at least 3 of them. If you are good enough, you could even turn up the Jump Challenge Soul before racing Beat, then turn up all other Souls on the 500-point "Avenue, Long Grind" while simultaneously grabbing that Soul. The other Souls can be grabbed in Chapter 6 (you can't turn up Souls in Ch. 6 before destroying the Noise Tanks).

I also recommend turning up all Souls except "13 platforms" in Shibuya terminal.

Other Souls to get for Rapid 99 are the Soul in the niche on Chuo St. (boost dash) and the billboard Soul on 99th St.

It is possible to extend the boost dash by shuffling or jumping right before it ends.
Quote:
I used to love this game before, especially the test runs.

If you hate going through startup, tutorial, and a 1.5-minute cutscene a hundred times, save yourself the boredom and save at first opportunity (P.S. I also dislike controller vibration).

You need 25 Souls for Rapid 99 and 40 Souls for Clutch.

I recommend turning up all Souls in Dogenzaka Hill on first visit, grabbing at least 3 of them. If you are good enough, you could even turn up the Jump Challenge Soul before racing Beat, then turn up all other Souls on the 500-point "Avenue, Long Grind" while simultaneously grabbing that Soul. The other Souls can be grabbed in Chapter 6 (you can't turn up Souls in Ch. 6 before destroying the Noise Tanks).

I also recommend turning up all Souls except "13 platforms" in Shibuya terminal.

Other Souls to get for Rapid 99 are the Soul in the niche on Chuo St. (boost dash) and the billboard Soul on 99th St.

It is possible to extend the boost dash by shuffling or jumping right before it ends.

True about saving ASAP. Damn, 40 souls later on?! Shit. That'll require a major change in strategy.

Also, could you go into more detail about the Souls you describe are located?

Great tip about the boost, it makes sense. Anything else I should know about? This is shaping up to be quite the uber run!

Cheesy
Edit history:
Verdugo: 2007-03-27 03:40:43 pm
Mum's the word.
Looks like you need put JSRF on your sig.

And i am interested in this.
Speed Running Joy-bringer
Same here. I never even got to play the game, but I was all over JGR (or Jet Grind Radio as I knew it as).

Never thought about it being speed runned, but finding Grafitti Souls was hard enough!
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-03-30 07:14:52 pm
I recently picked up the game again.

- In Dogenzaka Hill, you should probably pick up the first 3 Souls. One on the right on the main street, one behind some boxes near the cliff, and one on a platform after the M tag on the left wall (near the single L tag on the stair rail), which you can get easily.

- Boost dash up the sloped hill, picking up the blue cans.

- After talking to Beat, grab the tape. You may want to generate the jump Soul here.

- After racing Beat and beating the police, go to the green rail on the left side of the main road and use it to generate all the Souls. Pick them up later in Ch. 6.

The Souls I am thinking about getting are:

- Dogenzaka Hill: All 8 Souls
- Shibuya Terminal: 5-7 Souls
- Chuo St.: 2 Souls
- 99th St.: 1 Soul (2?)
- Kibogaoka Hill: 1 Soul
- Skyscraper D: 1 Soul (2?)

There are some shortcuts later, but I'll wait for progress first.

I would suggest saving in the garage after a chapter, and you can pick up 30 cans easily on the way to Chuo St./Hikage St. (if you can).
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
You can easily make a speed run of this due to how connected everythign is.. word of advice connect your grinds. I'm sure you already knew that :>
Edit history:
trihex: 2007-03-31 08:50:23 am
Quote:
You can easily make a speed run of this due to how connected everythign is.. word of advice connect your grinds. I'm sure you already knew that :>

I'd hope at the very least I'm doing that. If not, why the hell am I even attemtpting a speedrun of this? ;P

Great tips everyone, most of what FractalFusion has mentioned I planned to do.

I'm in the progress of beating the game again for completion's sake and to see if there were any other major tasks that affect earlier segments (Like needing 40 souls by Chapter X). I want to do this because my first post can be thrown out of the window, segment 1 will be nothing like that. >_>;

I'll report more upon beating the game (probably tomorrow).
Beaten the game again. 40 Souls is all I need for this run. The new segment 1 will be as followed:

1) Tutorial w/ Gum
- get as many cans as possible

2) Dogenzaka Hill
- Grab the "free" graffiti soul on the right side of the avenue
- tag all graffiti
- Beat cutscene
- Grab tape
- Talk to Beat 3 times
- Race Beat
- Police Fight
- While going towards Shibuya Terminal, get the Love Avenue Grind Soul, 10 tricks soul, grind combo soul, air combo soul, score soul. Grab the graffiti soul that appears on the way to Shibuya Terminal.

3) Shibuya Terminal
- Poison Jam cutscene
- Tag all bottom graffiti below the tape location
- Proceed to tag everything else
- Talk to Poison Jam
- Grab tape
- Talk to them again
*** considering grinding slow and getting the 25 trick graffiti soul at this point.
- Talk to Poison for final time.
- Do Combo's grind requirement.
- Police Fight

4) Chuo Street
- Grab tape
- Tag all the graffiti behind the dinosaur
- Trigger Tank cutscene
- Tank Fight, knock Hayashi off, no spraying
- Tag remaining graffiti except the 4 in front of the dinosaur.
- Get the grind combo, trick combo, air combo souls while tagging.
- Tag the remaining 4 graffiti.

5) Rokaku Dai-Heights
- Save

It's tricky to accept a spot to save. Because almost anywhere sooner than this leads to a lot of time lost because you start any segment with 0 cans, which I hate.

So, I'll have to be really picky about where to segment, and to segment as least as possible. I'll be playing through the game again planning each segment in detail, and once that's done, perhaps begin recording.
Speed Running Joy-bringer
Loading with 0 cans... that sounds like a pain in the arse.

Can't wait to see some of the results.
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-04-05 09:38:45 am
- In the tutorial, when Gum tells you to boost, shuffle right after boosting.

- There's a shortcut in Chuo St. for the Poison Jam race. It's in the building right after the stairs and slopes at the beginning.

- I forgot about an easy-to-get Soul in Tokyo Sewage Facility.

Anyway, good luck on such a long segment. I can't imagine you going through every cutscene over and over. There was a time when I thought Tokyo Sewage Facility Jet Graffiti was hard to speedrun.
I got this game with my XBox, and is probably one of the best games XBox has to offer.

I can't wait to see a run on this one. But before that, maybe I should finish the game first =X
Edit history:
trihex: 2007-04-05 09:27:28 pm
Quote:
- In the tutorial, when Gum tells you to boost, shuffle right after boosting.

- There's a shortcut in Chuo St. for the Poison Jam race. It's in the building right after the stairs and slopes at the beginning.

- I forgot about an easy-to-get Soul in Tokyo Sewage Facility.

Anyway, good luck on such a long segment. I can't imagine you going through every cutscene over and over. There was a time when I thought Tokyo Sewage Facility Jet Graffiti was hard to speedrun.

The tut tip is nice. Thanks.

The Chuo St. tip is somewhat obvious. You are referring to going inside that building that you bust out of the glass and grind on wire right?

Also, whenever I pause to the menu, it seems you start the game with 20 souls automatically. Yet, I remember being prompted by Rapid 99 to get at least 5 whenever I played the first time, not getting any souls. Because, if I start with 20, then I can have 40 by the beginning of segment 3 (Tokyo Underground Sewage, the 1st Soul in the very beginning would be the 40th).

Anyway, slight modification to the segments, anything newly added is in pink:

SEG 001 [v3]

1) Tutorial w/ Gum 
- get next to the 10 cans near Dogenzaka Hill's entrance while jumping 4 times.
2) Shuffle after boosting to save 3-5 seconds
3) Complete tutorial
4) Save @ Roboy

The time saved from shuffling negated the necessity to "kill time" while the boost was on, I'd get about 10 cans while doing this. But now I'll end the tutorial with 3-4 cans, making the purpose of going any further with this segment useless, especially since that damn 2 minute intro cutscene gets old quick.

SEG 002

Start at Garage, Dogenzaka Hill entrance.

2) Dogenzaka Hill 
- Grab the "free" graffiti soul on the right side of the avenue
- tag all graffiti
- Beat's intro cutscene
- Grab tape
- Talk to Beat 3 times
- Race Beat
- Police Fight, have 30 cans at end
- While going towards Shibuya Terminal, get the Long Avenue grind Graffiti Soul, grabbing it on the way.

[every other soul is out of my way, and useless to activate]

3) Shibuya Terminal
- Poison Jam cutscene
- Tag all bottom graffiti below the tape location
- Proceed to tag everything else
- Talk to Poison Jam
- Grab tape
- Talk to them again
- On the way to talk to them the 2nd time, jump on the main rail that goes across Shibuya entirely, get the 70,000 (or whatever amount it is) points Graffiti Soul, and the 10x Grind Trick graffiti soul.
- Talk to Poison for final time.
- Hop across to the roof of the bus seats on the right, boost + wall grind for that graffiti soul.
- Continue grinding on the rail, jumping towards where the save point is, and get the graffiti soul atop the middle bus stop roof.
- Turn around, hop on the bus stop roof nearest Chuo St. and get the graffiti soul on the building.

- Do Combo's grind requirement.
- Police Fight, finish with 30 cans.

4) Chuo Street
- Grab tape
- Tag all the graffiti behind the dinosaur
- Trigger Tank cutscene
- Tank Fight, knock Hayashi off, no spraying
- Tag remaining graffiti except the 4 in front of the dinosaur.
- Trigger the 25x trick graffiti soul while in the part before the sewer half pipe.
- Tag the remaining 4 graffiti.

5) Rokakai-Dai Heights
- Save

SEG 003

1) Rokaku-Dai Heights
- Circle the starting point for 12 cans
- Tag what's near
- Talk to Poison Jam
- Tag what's near
- Enter building with rails and grab tape
- Police Fight
- Tag
- Hop on Phone wire and trigger 10x grind combo soul
- Talk to Poison Jam
- Talk to Poison Jam
- Tag what's near
- Police Fight
- Wallride the billboards to higher point
- Grab the "free" soul, then boost to the wired floor platform
- Tag what's near
- HUGE police fight, boost and hold R, finish with max 30 cans and near the first graffiti peice upon entering
- Wallride the billboards to higher point
- Tag final graffiti at the water tower
- Turn, boost towards the building that tape was in
- Grab the 10x grind combo soul
- Turn, hop on Phone wire towards the building with the tape
- Grab the "free" soul atop the building
- Leave

2) 99th Street
- Boost towards the 20 cans, having max 30.
- Hop on the dragon going AROUND the tall main building, hop off going on the wire that wraps around the main circle part going east
- tag 3 graffiti on the wire there
- hop off, tag what's near the dragon base
- Go towards the upper left section, max 30 cans upon entering
- Police searchlight fight, go left, tag that one, grind atop the building, and grind on the wires, jumping off, tagging 3 machines and grinding again, hopping off to tag the final one in the middle
- Tag the floor-level graffiti, being on the right side at the end
- Tag the building graffiti on the lower right, grinding to get the high-level graffiti, hoping off the rail, grabbing the "free" soul and tagging the remaining high-level graffiti
- boost dash off the lower left building towards the wire that goes over everything towards the main circle part again
- trigger trick combo soul while grinding the high wire, hoping to the other connecting high wire towards the upper-right division of 99th street
- grab "free" soul on the wallride towards upper-right division
- hop off wire, triggering air combo soul
- Police searchlight fight, grind, hop, spray, grind, repeat
- Tag high-level stuff
- Tag the billboard
- Tag high-level stuff
- Tag the billboard
- Tag the final thing, near the air combo soul
- Grab air combo soul
- Warp to upper left part of 99th, go meet Rapid 99
- Own Rapid 99 in flag battle

3) Rokaku-Dai Heights
- Take shortcut to Sewage Facility

4) Tokyo Sewage Facility
- Garam tut
- Grab tape
- Save

SEG 004

1) Tokyo Sewage Facility
- Start as Garam (I'll be using him for the remainder of the speedrun)
- Grab the ~12 cans near where the tape was
- Grab the "free" soul in the beginning
- Grab the "free" soul at the meet of the 1st and 2nd story
- 2nd story, once at the main square again, go right, tag switch 1
- go to the other side with the large room with no gates, hop twice and boost across for switch 2
- fall intentionally, warping back to beginning, saving time
- continue towards next story, boost dash while grinding towards it and jump to the next platform, skipping the U shaped hallway
- 3rd story, once in main square again, go right and hit switch 3, jump towards center, jump from center to the other side and tag switch 4
- hop back towards center, jump in, try not to grind, falling is faster
- tag final switch

2) Bottom Point of Facility
- Do the wavy grind part
- Once over, go to the right halfpipe, turn towards the entrance for "free" soul
- Near where Poison Jam is, grab the "free" soul, should be the 40th total
- Tag battle, tag who I can with the ~15 cans I have, skip ahead as much as possible to get max 30
- Tag the first Poison Jam
- Hop back and grind upward to the previous room
- Grab the blue cans atop the steep part, tag Poison Jam
- repeat the previous 2 steps
- Cutscene
- Warp to garage, save @ Roboy

I'll have more segment notes later today probably. Any suggestions to what I've got would be appreciated. Also, let me know if my pause-menu-start-with-20-souls-thing is correct or not.
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-04-06 02:05:50 am
Sorry for not informing you sooner, but you do start with 20 souls always. So you only really need 20 souls to get the 40 required for Clutch.

Keep in mind that there are "free" souls hanging around, such as the 1 or 2 in Tokyo Sewer, 1 in Chuo St., 1 in 99th St., 1 in Skyscraper, and 1 in Kibogaoka possibly, so be careful to plan for these ones.

And what do you mean by "every other soul [in Dogenzaka] is out of my way, and useless to activate"? Are you not planning to destroy Noise Tanks around the Dogenzaka loop in Ch. 6? You can grab them then. (But you can't do challenges to make Souls appear.)

It's the air combo Soul that appears near main street in Dogenzaka, not the avenue grind Soul.

Since you're talking about more of the run, I'll tell you a few things:

- You don't need to talk to Poison Jam in Rokkaku-dai Heights after they knock down the warehouse gate.

- After the second police fight in Rokkaku-dai, grind up the pole, walldash, then on the second pole, jump left and you should be close to the stairway.

- Near the last graffiti in Rokkaku-dai, after the walljump part, boost dash and jump across the rails directly to the silo leading to the last graffiti.

- At the places where you go up a storey in Tokyo Sewer, it is possible to hop into the pipe and pipejump directly to the pipes above without using a handplant. It's tricky, but if you're confident, you can try. I do that all the time in Jet Graffiti.

- Always jump through the spiral loops. Just hop on one end of the loop and jump without nudging the thumbstick (controls are sensitive in this game).

- In Bottom Point, when going to Poison Jam, there is a shortcut where you are on a straight grating above a half-pipe and there are maybe 16 cans in 2 bundles of 8. Boost dash and jump to the right at the end of the straightway, and you can make it over the gate.

- Exploit falling in water (off cliffs in Skyscraper too) to warp to faster locations. I think you know this already.

- Flag battle for Rapid 99: Get 1st flag, go to 3rd flag location while Rapid 99 gets 2nd flag, grab last 3 flags.

I guess the Chuo St. shortcut was a little too obvious for you, but it definitely wasn't for me.
Edit history:
trihex: 2007-04-06 09:30:29 pm
Ha, my bad. I thought Clutch appeared sooner than that late in the game. In that case, there'll be major edits to what I do in segment 2, about 2 of the ones I get in Shibuya are what I'd consider "out of the way" compared to the free ones I can get in Kibogaka Hill, Pharoh Park, and the others later in Dogenzaka.

I'll play through from the beginning again to reanalyze and give a better description and structure to the segments I listed previously later.

SEG 005

- Start at Garage, go towards Shibuya.

1) Shibuya Terminal
- Going towards the left part, grab the 30 max cans on the rail in front of the buses

2) Hikage Street
- Go to the middle section first
- Tag the terror drone 3 times, defeating it in less than 10 seconds
- Tag high-level graffiti, falling lower to tag middle-level, then the ground-level
- Obtain "free" soul on the way out from middle section towards center point
- Go to the right section
- Police fight
- High-level, then mid-level, then low-level
- Go to the left section
- High-level, then mid-level, then low-level
- Go through Shibuya boosting to Garage

3) Garage
- Save @ Roboy

(Sorry about the generic description, I had played the segment a little over an hour ago, memory isn't so fresh)

SEG 006

1) Garage
- Go to 99th street

2) 99th street
- Obtain 20 cans, boost, obtain the other 10 cans
- Go to Pharaoh Park

3) Pharaoh Park
- Police fight
- Hop on the left pole (left, facing the spinning thingy in the middle), and take the left fork in the satellite trail
- Tag the furtherest graffiti
- Hop on crane, tag the graffiti afterward
- Jump atop the building where I just tagged, jump to the next building in front of it, and boost off of that one to the right fork in the satellite trail
- Tag the 2 graffiti on the building
- Turn around, hop on the red pole near the edge, hop off to the yellow pole near the 2 graffiti I just tagged
- Hop off of that yellow pole to the other one, bringing atop the building of the tagged graffiti
- Take the swinging board thingy to the building surrounded by colored poles

* Note, the northern section of Pharaoh Park, the remaining graffiti at this point makes a T shape, when excluding the easy ones in the beginning section near the main spinning thingy and a few on the bottom right.

- Take the red one, hopping to the orange, then to another orange one, jumping off near the bottom of the middle stem of the T shape of graffiti*.
- Tag it

** I just thought about if I die at this point, where would I warp to. I need to test it, if I warp near the save point in the northern part, then I'd intentionally fall, otherwise:

- Take the ramp trail to the save point
- Turn left
- Tag the graffiti on the far left of the T-shape
- Fall
- Warp near the graffiti I skipped going to the far left (XL shape)
- Tag it
- Fall towards the right, warping to the save point
- Go right, tagging the graffiti over there (L shape)
- Return to the save point, going back towards the beginning
- Jump off the building to grind atop the next building with the next graffiti
- Turn and go facing towards Sky Dinosauran Park and hop off to get enough momentum to go upwards on the grind for the (M shape) graffiti
- Fall off to the cans near by, obtain them
- Boost off towards the main-spinning thingy for the 5 easy tags
- Tag the final pyramid in the beginning
- Immortals cutscnee

*** Is it my copy? Or when you're supposed to have the tag battle with the immortals it ends within 2 seconds? It's happened to me with more than just 1 copy of JSRF.

- End the tag battle in 2 seconds?***
- Go towards Highway Zero

4) Highway Zero
- Tag battle with the Immortals****

**** Eh, I'm guessing the best way is to go ahead, get max 30, tag who I can, cut ahead in the crowded part, get max 30, wait at the end near the long pipes part, and tag the remaining 2?

5) Future Site of Rokkaku Stadium
- Warp here, talk to New Girl, then to Dude
- Practice **** *

**** * I'm guessing you HAVE to do a lap with you AND the new girl finish at the starting point? I've tried throwing the ball ahead and boosting to finish a lap, it only registered we were done whenever I went back to get the new girl...

- Round 1 **** **

**** ** I'm guessing the fastest way is to obtain 10 cans in the beginning, boost to the ball, and just grind/ wallride as much as possible, avoiding the pit. I'm doing this for all rounds.

- Round 2 **** **
- Terror Drone fight II

5) Garage
- warp here
- Save @ Roboy

Also, FractalFusion, you seem to be just as, if not more fluent in JSRF than me, why didn't you ever consider producing a speedrun of it? I'd also like to thank you, you're advice and tips are very apprecaited. I would've felt very silly having to talk to Poison Jam a 2nd time in Rokkaku-Dai for nothing!

But while I'm at it, this run should be fully recorded by the end of April. I am going to need verifiers, are you willing to verify come that time? Anyone else who can would be appreciated too, as I believe 2-3 are required.

EDIT: Got some more done:

SEG 007

1) Garage
- Go to Dogenzaka

2) Dogenzaka Hill
- Destroy all clones here
- Grab the 4 Souls I activated in segment 2
- Shibuya Terminal

3) Shibuya Terminal
- Destroy x amount of clones*
- Grab the soul on the top-left portion, ground-level, of Shibuya [I won't be grabbing it in Seg 02]
- Head to Chuo St.

4) Chuo St.
- Destroy y amount of clones**
- Go into the main building, hop on the right wire, hop off towards the right, grabbing the soul that's atop the bus stop roof
- Head to Shibuya

* You need to destroy, if I can recall, about 80 clones, right? Well, in Shibuya destroy the easy ones near the Dogenzaka entrance, making an upside-down L shaped trail, destroying all the clones I pass. Then going atop the bus stop roofs and getting those as well.
** Y amount is the needed clones destroyed near the main building and by the dinosaur.

5) Shibuya
- Grab as many cans, boosting to Garage

6) Garage
- Boost across once, head to 99th street

7) 99th street
- Boost towards cans, have 20
- Boost again, have 20
- Enter Pharaoh Park

8) Pharaoh Park
- Boost on rail, max 30
- Grab "free" soul on right pole in the beginning
- Take ramp trail to Poison Jam ***

*** Do I need to talk to him? Or I can just go to Dinosauran Park?

- Go to Dinosauran Park

9) Dinosauran Park
- Save

EDIT 2: Got even some more done

SEG 008

1) Sky Dinosaurian Park
- Tag Immortals

2) Garage
- Warp here
- Forced to talk to Clutch
- Go to Rokaku-Dai*

* Since there's a forced Police Fight at the beginning of Kibogaka Hill, does the 90 second timer of Clutch being there still tick as I fight them? If so, I'll be going to Pharaoh Park instead of Rokakku, and wait for him to suddenly appear.

3) Rokaku-Dai
- boost towards shortcut to Sewage
- Go to Tokyo Sewage

4) Tokyo Underground Sewage Facility
- Go to Kibogaka Hill

5) kibogaka Hill
- Police Fight
- Talk to Clutch
- Go to sewage

6) Sewage
- Save
Quote:
Also, FractalFusion, you seem to be just as, if not more fluent in JSRF than me, why didn't you ever consider producing a speedrun of it? I'd also like to thank you, you're advice and tips are very apprecaited. I would've felt very silly having to talk to Poison Jam a 2nd time in Rokkaku-Dai for nothing!

Thanks. I don't often think about contributing speedruns because of the hassle involved. It's easier for me to make a TAS for a game and upload a file. I can record VHS but since it is now discouraged, I have to learn DVD recording. Anyway, I love trying to find shortcuts in almost any game. I don't tend to excel in gaming although this game is easy and routine enough, and the test runs even more so.

Quote:
*** Is it my copy? Or when you're supposed to have the tag battle with the immortals it ends within 2 seconds? It's happened to me with more than just 1 copy of JSRF.

It's a fake Tagger's Tag. Just spray one of them until it's over.

Quote:
**** Eh, I'm guessing the best way is to go ahead, get max 30, tag who I can, cut ahead in the crowded part, get max 30, wait at the end near the long pipes part, and tag the remaining 2?

If you come in with 30, you should be able to finish them off before they even get to the marketplace. Just trail them and grab cans from the rails.

Quote:
**** * I'm guessing you HAVE to do a lap with you AND the new girl finish at the starting point? I've tried throwing the ball ahead and boosting to finish a lap, it only registered we were done whenever I went back to get the new girl...

At least 1 lap and at least 2 minutes. You can easily complete a lap in 2 minutes, so feel free to fiddle around.

Quote:
* You need to destroy, if I can recall, about 80 clones, right? Well, in Shibuya destroy the easy ones near the Dogenzaka entrance, making an upside-down L shaped trail, destroying all the clones I pass. Then going atop the bus stop roofs and getting those as well.

According to a walkthrough, you must destroy 190 clones total in all areas combined. In 99th St. there are maybe 30 clones all grouped around the base of the tower, and 10 more on the upper road. Those clones are easy to get so leave some room. Don't know about Rokkaku-dai Heights since I never go there.

Quote:
- Take ramp trail to Poison Jam [(Skyscraper District)]***

You can jump off the second ramp and fall to warp closer.

Quote:
*** Do I need to talk to him? Or I can just go to Dinosauran Park?

This time, you have to talk to him. Smiley

Quote:
1) Sky Dinosaurian Park
- Tag Immortals 

It's the Noise Tanks here. I find this Tagger's Tag hard. Sometimes, one of the Noise Tanks gets trapped near the beginning of the zone. Don't know what causes this.

Quote:
2) Garage
- Warp here
- Forced to talk to Clutch
- Go to Rokaku-Dai*

* Since there's a forced Police Fight at the beginning of Kibogaka Hill, does the 90 second timer of Clutch being there still tick as I fight them? If so, I'll be going to Pharaoh Park instead of Rokakku, and wait for him to suddenly appear.

The 90 second timer still ticks away. But here's the good news: If you already tagged the save point at the beginning, you can go up there and switch characters (not sure about save and load) and they will magically disappear, and then you can go and talk to Clutch.

Besides, if you head to Pharaoh Park, you have to Tagger's Tag the Immortals in 99th St.

By the way, you forgot Kibogaoka Hill (Ch. 4) in your run notes.

Two things about Hikage St.: Where there are stairs, you can jump off them and skip a level, sometimes. Ex: The first and fourth stair rails in the west part, the second and fourth stair rails in the north part. You can also skip a level by jumping off the crane in the east part holding right, then holding left right after you jump off (in order to grind left).

There are also a set of blue cans on one high billboard in the west section, if you need it.

Do you do test runs? That's how I find shortcuts. Note for others: If you don't know what a "test run" really is, you obviously haven't played this game enough.
Quote:
The 90 second timer still ticks away. But here's the good news: If you already tagged the save point at the beginning, you can go up there and switch characters (not sure about save and load) and they will magically disappear, and then you can go and talk to Clutch.

Two things about Hikage St.: Where there are stairs, you can jump off them and skip a level, sometimes. Ex: The first and fourth stair rails in the west part, the second and fourth stair rails in the north part. You can also skip a level by jumping off the crane in the east part holding right, then holding left right after you jump off (in order to grind left).t.

You are god. I would've never guessed about the save point/skip police trick. It works! Cheesy

About Hikage St., noted and done. I realize holding A the entire duration of a jump results in it lasting longer and going higher, this applied to the uphill part of the middle section in Hikage makes it easy to skip levels.

I have the remaining notes. I've been practicing segments for the past 8 hours, and have a goal of what I want the total time to be.

The goal is to have sub 3:20:xx. It will be in 10 segments total.

Here are the notes I took from my practices:

Seg 001 [0:34:xx, 24 souls] Ideal time: 0:33:xx-ish
seg 002 [1:00:xx, 30 souls] Ideal time: 0:55:xx-ish
Seg 003 [1:16:xx, 33 souls] Ideal time: 1:10:xx-ish
Seg 004 [1:41:xx, 35 souls] Ideal time: 1:38:xx-ish
Seg 005 [2:12:xx, 36 souls] Ideal time: 2:07:xx-ish
Seg 006 [2:23:xx, souls done] Ideal time: 2:18:xx-ish
Seg 007 [2:32:xx] Ideal time: 2:27:xx-ish
Seg 008 [2:51:XX] Ideal time: 2:42:xx-ish
Seg 009 [3:15:xx]
Seg 010 [3:28:xx]

The last 2 segments I did without bothering to note how many minutes of mistakes i made. But I'm guessing that my ideal would be around 3:10-3:15.

Also, since I'm past the stage of having to memorize paths (Already did so), I started doing them to see what could be improved. Here are a few things:

SEG 01
- Will include start cutscene until Chuo St.

1) Garage
- Tut w/ Gum
- Shuffle with Boost
- End with at least 20 cans

2) Dogenzaka
- right side "free" soul (21)
- graffiti route
- beat, tape, race, police
- activate all 5 souls going towards Shibuya

3) Shibuya
- tag what's below the tape
- tag everything else
- poison jam 1
- grab tape
- poison jam 2
- poison jam 3
- grab "free" soul atop bus stop near Combo (22)
- Combo tut
- Police
- warp to garage, go to Shibuya
- Go to Chuo

3) Chuo St
- go past the main building, tag everything in 1 lap
- get to the dinosaur part, trigger tank fight
- do tanks
- own hayashi
- spray the remaining 5 tags
- go to Shibuya, get 10x grind soul (23)
- go to Rokakku-Dai
- save

SEG 002

1) Rokkaku-Dai
- circle for 12 cans
- poison jam 1
- tag
- poison jam 2
- tag
- skip the tags on the warehouse
- grab tape
- police fight
- trigger 10x grind soul
- tag
- police fight
- "free" soul after billboarsd (24)
- boost to wired-floor platform
- tag
- police fight
- tag the remaining + watertower
- boost off to get the 10x grind soul (25)
* Not getting the soul atop the Warehouse, getting that in segment 8, when I destroy the Noise Tanks near there
- tag the warehouse on the way out
- head to 99th

2) 99th
- hop on circled dragon, hop off for the 3 high-level tags in  the main circle part
- grab tape
- tag what's near the dragon base
- go to top left part
- go to the left, tag the spotlight there
- grind up, hopping off wire to tag, grinding again, repeat
- boost to get the left-side ground-level tag
- grind atop building to other side for other ground-level tag
- tag high-level, grab "free" soul (26)
- grind towards top right
- trigger 10x grind soul
- grab "free" soul near entrance of top right (27)
- tag spotlights
- tag remaining high-level/ billboards
- grab 10x grind soul (28)
- tag middle stuff
- own Rapid 99 via getting 1, 3, and 4th flag (Nice tip FractalFusion!)

3) Garage/Rokkaku
- go to Rokkaku
- take shortcut to Sewage
- Garam tut
- Grab tape
- Save

SEG 003

1) Sewage
- turn, grab 15 cans
- grab "free" soul (29)
- grab "free" soul (30)
- tag switch 1
- 2nd story, go right, boost through spiral, tag switch 2
- die, warp to beginning of spiral
- go to the other side
- hop, hop, boost, tag switch 3
- die, warp to beginning of big room
- boost to skip U shaped hall, tag switch 4
- 3rd story, go forward, hope on pipe, tag switch 5
- hop to center, hop to other pipe, tag switch 6
- hop to center, fall, tag final switch

2) Bottom Point
- get "free" soul near PJ (31)
- Cutscnee
- Tagger's tag

- Warp to Garage
- Save @ Roboy

SEG 004

1) Garage
- go to Shibuya
- go to Hikage

2) Hikage
- go to Center part, skip levels, tag terror drone
- tag high-level, then ground-level
- go to right part
- police fight
- take crane to top, getting "free" soul (32)
- tag high-level, med-level, the only ground-level on the way out
- go to left part
- police fight
- tag (L shape) at the top, turn around for (S shape) tag
- tag med-level (L shape, S shape, S shape, M shape)
- tag ground level for finish

3) Shibuya/Etc.
- Go to Shibuya
- Go to Garage
- Go to Kibogaka Hill
- Tag save point for later
- tag far left side (XL shape), the middle (S shape), and the others near it, going back to the beginning (2 S shape)
- 2 choppers
- 2 choppers
- tag what's after the high pole wire, die, warp to "free" soul (33)
- go back to beginning
- tag the (L shape) piece, hopping atop the building with the (XL shape) peice
- tag everything remaining, ending just before the high wire power lines
- hop on mid-level wire, jumping two levels to highest wire
- grab "free" soul (34)
- return to Sewage
- return to Rokakku
- return to Garage
- save @ Roboy

SEG 005

1) Garage
- head to 99th

2) 99th
- boost, cans, boost, cans, head to Pharaoh

3) Pharaoh
- police fight
- left pole to left fork of satellites
- tag furtherest first
- crane to next tag
- boost from building to right fork of satellites
- tag 2 (L shape, M shape)
- hop on red pole, to orange pole, to orange pole atop building
- take swing w/ board to building surrounded by poles
- take first red one up, hop off, boost towards bottom of T shape
- fall next to (L shape)
- fall after 2nd ramp, warp to save
- tag far left side of T-shape (L shape)
- die, warp next to (XL shape)
- boost to (XL shape), tag
- grab near-by cans, boost to death
- warp near save
- tag right side (L shape)
- tag bottom (L shape), grind atop building for (M shape)
- boost towards beginning, warp to 1st ramp on right side
- tag first pyramid (S shape)
- grab cans (at least 20)
- tag remaining 5 in center
- immortal tag quick
- head to Highway Zero

4) Highway Zero
- Tag Immortals
- Warp to Future Site

5) Future Site
- bore myself with everything
- terror drone II

6) Garage
- warp here, save @ roboy
Edit history:
trihex: 2007-04-08 05:22:55 am
SEG 006

1) Garage
- go to Dogenzaka

2) Dogenzaka
- destroy clones on long avenue
- destroy clones after avenue
- grab 2 souls afterward (35) (36)
- destroy clones
- grab soul (37)
- grab soul (38)
- destroy clones
- destroy clones
- destroy clones
- go to Garage

3) Garage
- go to Rokkaku

4) Rokkaku
- shortcut to Sewage
- take stairs up
- grab "free" soul atop warehouse (39)
- destroy clones near here
- go to garage

5) Garage
- go to 99th

6) 99th
- fall to center circle
- destroy clones near dragon
- go back to beginning
- destroy the remaining here
- go to Pharaoh

7) Pharaoh
- get "free" soul on right pole (40th! Done!)
- die after 2nd ramp, warp to Poison Jam
- go to Dinosauran Square

8) Dinosauran Square
- save

SEG 007

1( Dinosaruan Square
- tag Noise Tanks
- warp to Garage

2) Garage
- Clutch
- go to Kibogaoka

3) Rokkaku
- go to Sewage

4) Sewage
- go to Kibogaoka

5) Kibogaoka
- Police fight
- switch to Gum
- talk to Clutch
- go to Sewage

6) Sewage
- save

SEG 008

1) Sewage
- go to Residential Zone, as Garam

2) Residential Zone
- start with the switch that's directly in front of you, slightly to the right, boost twice
- tag both bottom switches
- tag bottom switch on other side, then high-level switch near it
- tag the other bottom-level and high-level switch near as well
- 2nd story
- hop across first main gap
- take the stairs to the far right, near all the police
- take the path, tagging all red switches on the way
- tag the highest switch
- fall for the switch that's not near anything
- go through main gap again, take stairs that go up
- 3rd story
- boost rape on each part after the stairs
- boost to Yo-Yo
- own the choppers
- warp to Garage
- save @ roboy

SEG 009

1) Garage
- go to Shibuya
- go to Chuo

2) own Golden Claw boss
- go to Shibuya
- go to Garage
- go to 99th
- go to Pharaoh
- go to Highway Zero

3) own Flamethrower boss
- go to Pharaoh
- talk to Zero Beat

4) Site of Tokyo Line
- own boss (I'm guessing to stop, so the train stops, then boost to catch up and tag, repeat until defeat?)

5) warp to Garage
- save @ Roboy

SEG 010

1) Garage, start as Clutch
- go to Shibuya

2) Shibuya
- ridiculously long unskipable, slow-ass-talking cutscene
- zero beat tag (I'm guessing to go to the rail with the 5 blue cans first, tag who I can, and improvise for more cans from there?)
- cutscene
- final boss (I'm guessing to take the path with the mid-air bench, it's faster, jump off the spiral, and hop onto the stairs to the boss
- dash twice
- spray 15 cans
- fall off
- get 35 cans
- get back to top, spray to defeat
- final cutscnee
- credits
- save to reveal total game time

Whew, that was entirely from memory. The detail of each segment is what my finalized path for each will be unless you have more tips to point out for Residential and the Final Boss. I believe I'm ready to record. I'm starting now. I doubt I'll finish everything tonight, but I estimate at least 33% complete before I sleep.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about the soul in the shopping market at the end of Dogenzaka for Seg 06. Scratch off activating/getting the 10x grind in Shibuya for seg 01.
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-04-08 07:33:07 am
Hmm. You'll have to go a bit further for good times, because I once got a 3:06. I'm not sure where the difference is, so I hope you're overestimating.

Two more tips:

- In Fortified Residential Zone, past the second gate which opens after tagging the second set of bomb switches, you can grind the next stairs, and at the top, jump right, catch the rail sticking out land near Yoyo, which skips the three shelf-like sections.

- Against Golden Claw boss, it helps to look at him, then turn around and watch the arm so you can dodge it. Also, hit him slowly so you can spray him longer, and don't bump into him.

Good luck on the run.

Test runs: For those who don't know, this is a time trial mode where you can do timed runs of certain tasks (e.g. spraying graffiti tags). Would these runs be acceptable for this site?
FF: I'd assume that Test Runs would fall under Individual Levels.
Edit history:
trihex: 2007-04-08 10:53:10 pm
Quote:
Hmm. You'll have to go a bit further for good times, because I once got a 3:06. I'm not sure where the difference is, so I hope you're overestimating.

Two more tips:

- In Fortified Residential Zone, past the second gate which opens after tagging the second set of bomb switches, you can grind the next stairs, and at the top, jump right, catch the rail sticking out land near Yoyo, which skips the three shelf-like sections.

- Against Golden Claw boss, it helps to look at him, then turn around and watch the arm so you can dodge it. Also, hit him slowly so you can spray him longer, and don't bump into him.

Good luck on the run.

Test runs: For those who don't know, this is a time trial mode where you can do timed runs of certain tasks (e.g. spraying graffiti tags). Would these runs be acceptable for this site?

Of course, you may record and produce test run tables of any of the categories available. Though I'm sure graffiti and city rush would be the most popular, and interesting.

You really should go for that. You seem to be very awesome at the Test Runs, definitely better than me.

Anyway, segment 1 is finished. A time of 0:32:xx. After about 15 failed attempts, all well into 20 minutes, this segment certainly tested my patience. Altogether, about 20 seconds, at worst in mistakes/bad luck.

Cop fight 1 in Dogenzaka left me with WAY FEWER cans than usual, only 8, and it shows. I barely had enough to finish the route in Shibuya before getting to the 5 blue cans.

Cop fight 2 was camera angle hell, not as bad as some previous attempts, but definitely not the smoothest.

When fighting Hayashi after the tanks, I accidentally knocked him off without boosting ... I sort of shrugged and continued.

the first tag of the XL shape after the sewage halfpipe part in Chuo didn't register, had to turn around for that one.

After tagging all the S shape tags on that long grind after getting everything below the tape in Shibuya, (this part is entirely luck-based, it varied each time) my luck went bad and a truck was coming as I blindly hopped off, getting hit.

After finishing the first cop fight in Dogenzaka, where I ended, I was hit by a car immediately.

On the way to Rokkaku-Dai, while in the garage, I missed the jump to the blue rail, so I had to wallride the bilboard, cancel the grind and go to Rokkaku.

I feel terrible about "settling" for this segment. Should I redo it Fraction? The 3:06 you speak of sort of destroyed the confidence I had. >_>;

EDIT: I'm also going to change my goal to get sub 3 hour. If you got 3:06, then I definitely need to set my goals to maximum ownage.
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-04-09 03:07:15 am
Quote:
I feel terrible about "settling" for this segment. Should I redo it Fraction? The 3:06 you speak of sort of destroyed the confidence I had. >_>;

32:xx at the first save in Rokkaku-dai sounds good. It's more than I could ask for right now. Smiley

My best is 25:xx after Shibuya, 36:xx after Chuo, and 54:xx after 99th St., although I wasn't really rigorous.

I think you can keep redoing segments as long as you choose a different save slot or save slot with a worse time.

About test runs, if they are allowed, then certainly Jet Graffiti, Jet Dash, and Jet Flag are allowed. Jet Tech though is a 5-minute score trial, not a time trial, and most of them are boring. Only two of them are interesting (Kibogaoka and Tokyo Sewer) since you can set up wallride circuits for over 8 million points. And all the Jet Graffiti/Dash/Flag times are faster than Jet Tech can ever hope to be.
w00t!

Since you were surprisingly okay with that segment, it made me feel as if you're going easy on me. I went back and redid again, same time of 32:xx, but the only mistake this time being tagging the final 4 graffiti in Chuo, I had one of the dozens of camera-angle-butt-fuck where I turn the wrong direction or accidentally did a grind on a ramp i didn't want to. It was only a loss of about 4-6 seconds.

I also went for segment 02 today as well. Got a time of 0:53:xx at the save. 2 minutes better than what my ideal was. The only mistake in this segment, if you even want to call it that, was during the Rapid 99 Flag Battle, while they were going after flag 2, and I was waiting for flag 3 to respond, I misjudged where it spawned and had to waste a second to turn around and grab it (as opposed to it spawning where I was and immediately dropping below for the next one).

I'm making excellent progress right now, with 20% of the recording already done! The run could be done by the end of this week if I can keep this 2 segment per day ratio going. Grin
Edit history:
FractalFusion: 2007-04-10 05:48:42 am
At first I thought it said "53:xx after 99th St." But then I realized it was 53:xx after Garam's tut. Smiley

I wonder how you handled the massive police fight in Rokkaku-dai. I love that battle only because it's complete instinct and you have no idea what's going on. What's really bad is if you get knocked down, but that's what the reset button is for.

For the cranes in 99th St., did you tag them from the wires, or did you stay on ground level? I find them easier from the ground.

For Tagger's Tag in the next segment, you should go in with max graffiti cans. It makes Tagger's Tag easier (you can spray the first Poison Jam guy before he reaches the next room). Also, bumping them may cause them to enter paths that make them very hard to spray, so don't bump them.

There are also cans on the slopes in the rooms and a row of 4 blue cans between two spiral rails later on, if you need them.

And, in general, try to avoid handplanting. Only do that if you are travelling inside and parallel to the pipe.

For comparison, my best after the sewers is 1:09:xx (from 54:xx after 99th St.), so you should be able to get 1:05:xx.
I don't mind YaBB 1G - SP1.
I have to watch this. This going to be one of the nicest looking runs of the year I'd bet. A great candidate for the PAX vid, IMO.