Smiley
Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I have some fantastic news. I just went for a run and I managed to get a time of 2:41! I have a video ready however I may need to do a quality test to see if it's OK with you guys. It would be a shame if it did not meet the standards because the video quality was too poor :'(.
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Sorry about not replying promptly on your thread bump Claw. I  somehow missed all the posts bumping this thread going back to September! >_>;

Quote from t r i - h e x:
Did some testing. Here are the notes:

• Saving after the introductory cutscene (after Gum's tutorial), then reloading, selecting character, and entering Dogenzaka results in skipping the "introductory Dogenzaka" cutscene. Saving about 30 seconds.

I wanted to test if this 30 seconds is worth starting with no cans. I got a save time of 0:10:xx when I went through Dogenzaka as fast as possible to the save point near where Beat wants to race you. However, I got a time of 0:07:xx when I did the same thing from the beginning of the game with no reload segment BS. So, I'm a little confused on how the timer works. It doesn't count cutscenes? .. Or I might need to try that test again.

• Even if you spray the save point in Chuo St., it dissapears during the tank fight. Meaning no way to skip it.

Aggh. Besides trying those things out, recording blew today. I messed up a lot in the first 30 seconds after the introductory cutscene a lot: getting hit by cars (There seems to be, like, thrice the amount of vehicles in Dogenzaka thanks to the emulation), missing a shuffle, etc. It was really aggravating.

Quote from The Claw:
OK I just went for a practice run and recorded it in uncompressed AVI. The file is 42gb (ie. a lot of DVDs) however I'm more concerned about the in-game timer again. The run I just took I did it in 2:46 (epic fail I know) however the video itself is almost 10 minutes shorter than the displayed time. How is that even possible? Is there some kind of bug within the game's timer or something?

Looking over the pink, highlighted portions in my post from before about testing whether it's faster to save after the Gum tutorial (in order to skip a cutscene) and your problems with the video length versus in-game timer, perhaps we should discuss whether we should follow the in-game timer for JSRF since neither of us has figured out how it functions. I haven't played recently so take this with a grain of guessing, but perhaps it only times certain kinds of cutscenes. "In-level" dialogue may not count or something? But either way, until someone figures out how the timer works, maybe we should use manual timing instead?

Quote from The Claw:
I have some fantastic news. I just went for a run and I managed to get a time of 2:41! I have a video ready however I may need to do a quality test to see if it's OK with you guys. It would be a shame if it did not meet the standards because the video quality was too poor :'(.

I'm excited to check this out! But please, you're so vague with your celebratory post. Give me the details! You use Gum the entire speedrun? You pulled off the Shibuya Terminal copfight trick? Death-wrapped everywhere in Pharaoh Park? Raped majority of the bosses? Smiley
Haha I guess I was pretty blunt however I have now produced a 2:40 time now and it is ready to be sent! I need to know of a free uploading service for the quality test however. Anyone want to link me somewhere?

As for details on the run, I did use Gum the whole way, I have no idea what the Shibuya Cop Battle trick is, I death warp myself back to the beginning of Pharaoh Park when I'm going to face the Immortals, and I did considerably well against the bosses. The best achievement was dispensing the train in just over a minute. To be honest this run is plagued with n00bish mistakes, however they're only small and only set me back very little. I'm more than happy to submit this run as it is. I'm very satisfied with this time.
http://speeddemosarchive.com/kb/Video_hosting_services

Click the icon under the "streaming" header and pick one that says No.
Click Here for the quality test. The actual quality of the speed run itself will be lot better as it hasn't been compressed twice like this video so please keep that in mind.
Weegee Time
I'd say it looks pretty good to me, especially if the submitted version looks even better.
*looks for other opinions*
Quote from The Claw:
Click Here for the quality test. The actual quality of the speed run itself will be lot better as it hasn't been compressed twice like this video so please keep that in mind.

Inspected. Frame-rate checks out OK with me (which is the most important thing to me for a game this fast). Can't wait! Smiley
It's a relief to hear two positive things about the quality however who do I need to show the video to in order to get the green light to send the whole run? I'll probably just mail it as well as I'd get in pretty big trouble if I tried to upload a 6gb file LOL.
Weegee Time
Nate presumably.  You could also post your quality test in the actual tech support forum.
You should also talk to Mike if you haven't done so already. They've told me to wait until the game has verifiers before sending the video. Also, if you torrent the video Nate could probably take it as is. I've sent videos close to that size before.
Hey guys, once again there has been another time gap between updates of this speed run. I was busy with studies along with other troubling issues but now that I have finished them I found time to get back to this project.

First off, I decided to upload my 2:40 min% run to YouTube for the hell of it. You can find this on youtube.com/thebigclaw. I manage to fit the run within 15 parts thanks to YouTube's extension of the limit to 15 minutes. You'll notice the title to each part has in brackets "No Commentary", this is because a commentary version is in the works for another channel known as Video-game Master Unit or VMU for short XD. The run is 100% clean and the only editing done to it was to split the video into separate parts for YouTube. Where the first video ends is exactly where the next video begins.

Despite uploading this run I persisted to keep getting a better time. This has now been achieved. Attached to this post is a screenshot of the load menu in JSRF displaying my best time. Unfortunately I had to use a digital camera and point it at the TV to take this as the TV Card I used to record the 2:40 run will not work on Windows 7. Because of this I'm buying a Dazzle so hopefully I will be able to submit a good enough quality of a video next time.

Excellent! I can't watch your entire run tonight because I have work in the morning, so I've only watched Part 1 of the SS. I don't want to give too much of my opinion until I finish watching it, but just from watching the tutorial and Dogenzaka Hill, it's unoptimized in many areas ...

1) Less than 30 cans at the end of the tutorial
2) Going too fast tagging at the part after the bus stop bench after the first stretch in Dogenzaka resulting in the camera panning away, forcing you to turn around and reset the camera position ... twice
3) Not utilizing boost and shuffle combos; unoptimized use of boost while grinding

There's other things, but it's just what I observed without being an absolute dick because it's SS. But the problem is that it's the first 10 minutes of the SS. =\

Don't let my notes discourage you though. I would assume this still wouldn't have problems passing verification, but this is my judging which is extremely high thanks to all the tedious planning done by myself and Fractal Fusion over the last 3 years.

BTW, for anyone still holding out for my segmented speedrun. It's still very much coming next year. I've tried playing the emulated version with Xbox 360 and it's just terrible. It lags like shit all the time in Dogenzaka where it doesn't at all in the original. There's like quadruple the amount of traffic wherever there is cars and getting hit is more a matter of when rather than if. =\ I have a friend who has an original Xbox with a controller S and am anxious to practice once all this bullshit marathon practice crunchtime is over. Smiley
There are a lot of mistakes, most of them being very n00bish in this run. Trust me, I have greatly refined a lot of these mistakes which is how I got my 2:34 time. As for boost dashing while grinding, does that even do anything? I'm really curious about that.
very impressive stuff, I love this game and have completed it 100% several times and was considering doing it as my first run but there is no way I would be able to compete with what's going on here.

Question: where do you guys find out about all these weird time saving glitches? No just specifically for this game either.
Edit history:
trihex: 2011-02-20 02:55:54 am
Quote from Leviathan:
Question: where do you guys find out about all these weird time saving glitches? No just specifically for this game either.

A huge majority of the tricks I implemented into the routes I have now are from Fractal Fusion. He's amazing and I'm just as stumped as you as to how you would play around for hours to figure out some of the seemingly random warps and glitches he knows about. But I shrug it off and am happy he is here working as hard as I am to achieve perfect routes for the game.

BTW, officially, the only thing holding me back from getting back into practicing for the segmented speedrun is finding a functioning Xbox 1. I'm hoping I can solve that without having to cave in and eBay one of those anvils for far-too-much in the near future.

Quote from The Claw:
As for boost dashing while grinding, does that even do anything? I'm really curious about that.

I'm guessing no. Speedomter is already max'd whenever grinding normally, so even though it "seems" faster, I currently use the speedomtere's readings as literally despite how, at times, off it seems visually.

The only time boosting during a grind would make a difference is if you ever choose to jump off a grind. You immediately slow down to "7/10" speed (versus just falling off rails, which loses less speed).
Edit history:
HiipFire: 2012-06-09 01:26:48 pm
Sorry for the bump, but I just want to say that I'm working on a speedrun for this game(If anyone could help that'd be awesome) and that a japanese player recently completed a speedrun of the game
Edit history:
HiipFire: 2012-06-10 03:27:12 pm
I haven't watched the entire run, but I've seen him show that shuffling after a boostdash maintains the speed.
The runner used the ingame timer, so I'll look what the actual time is sometime this week.
Edit history:
HiipFire: 2013-03-29 08:02:30 pm
So recently, Rueake, Urboygraham and me have been doing races of this game on SRL, and hopefully we'll get a SDA run of this sometime soon.
If anyone else is interested you can go to #jetsetradio on the SRL IRC.

The current WR is by Rueake: 2:18:46.45
http://www.twitch.tv/rueake/c/2088220

Also is there any chance the OP/ title could be changed with some more up to date info?
or you can give it to me I guess if trihex' doesn't feel like it.
Thought I'd post to keep the thread updated, and the hype going
Currently the WR has come down quite a bit already
UrBoyGraham has it at 2:12:38
http://www.twitch.tv/urboygraham/c/2105459

Also last night I discovered a way to skip the big police fight & Hayashi in Rokkaku-Dai

The trick is fairly simple, I go a little overboard with the setup to get the medium tag but the trigger for the fight is a little difficult to navigate. It probably only saves 20-30 seconds but it removes the most random fight in the game. Also if we get to 100% you can use this skip again on the second big fight, which is ridiculously difficult to do well.
New WR, also set by UrBoyGraham, 2:04:49 http://www.twitch.tv/urboygraham/c/2403015

This was one of my favourite games a few years back - I might have to try and get the stuff together to get into it again.
Edit history:
ozzy88: 2013-08-01 05:03:00 am
Dalfen metioned this game during ESA so I just had to play it again...so now I'm learning to speedrun it to some degree. I find it hard to learn all the details, like where to boost and the routes in general. I've got the general idea for Garage -> blah, blah, hill -> bla, bla, terminal -> Chou Street -> Rokkaku-Di-Heights

And is currently struggling with the hayashi skip as well as the route for 99 street (that route seems pretty crazy).

Sadly #jetsetradio seems to be a very lonely place now a days Sad

The 2:04:49 was a very entertaining run and is what I use to learn the routes.

Edit:

Just looked at the video for the skip above and got it first try jumping from around the same are of the rail. Guess that's how to do it. XD
Hey ozzy88, if you have skype, add me on it, it's HiipFire

I'd be happy to help you with any strats you might struggle with.
I just want to add that I cannot WAIT to see this. When i got my xbox this was some kind of dual game thing that came with it and i blew it off for a while. when i finally gave it a chance i fell in love with the game and played it endlessly till i beat it and was thrilled with how i eventually got good at the game. My favorite thing about this community is seeing games i loved get blown up as well as seeing games i sucked at get blown up. this would be one of the former that to me would be extremely impressive to view someone with a mastery of the game play through it! Good luck!
Police skip in Rokkaku-Dai Heights? Tokyo Underground Sewage skip? I can't wait to see Jet Set Radio Future on SDA.

The 2:04:49 was a nice surprise for me, though I had hoped for the final save time to be shown (it wasn't).

I think though that, since Tokyo Underground can be skipped, the graffiti soul there can be obtained on the way to Kibogaoka Hill in Ch. 4, rather than on the way to Bottom Point in Ch. 3.
lad musician
Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but is there any sort of difference between the Sega GT bundle and the Standalone? Load times, can placement, etc.