page  <- 123456789101112 <- 1 ... 12
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
rocmox: 2012-05-22 06:02:47 pm
I'm planning on doing some runs soon and have found a few faster things currently to improve on the route. For Chapter 2, you can get only 2 whacka's bumps, and skip the level up block in the desert. Instead you use 1 to sell, and 1 for the boss. You use the level up block inside the ruins for bombette, and just use whacka's bump to get an extra round of hits on the boss. You can then get the level up block from the start of Chapter 2 and use that on parakarry.

Also I don't really see a need for dodge master, so you don't need 2 extra bumps to sell, so that saves like a minute if you just learn the timing of blocking without it.

For Chapter 6 you can do the lakilster fight without wasting time equipping badges by just starting with 9 hp.

That's all I really have for now but as I practice more I'll probably find other stuff.
I did any% for fun then I showed one trick that it was not showed here. I won't say what time is in this run :p
http://ja.twitch.tv/0xwas/b/328228837

I haven't tested at all before so I don't know why works it. This glitch is found by typetsuki.
Edit history:
doicm: 2012-08-14 07:48:04 pm
I've recently created a "Paper Mario RTA" wiki. I figured this'd be the place to post about it. Although I've done most of the work on the Super Paper Mario game, I've been starting work on compiling information/glitches on this game as well.

Once it gets looking a little nicer/gets more work done, I'll post a link to it. I figure it'd be a good starting/middle point for anyone running this game and wanting to see it in maybe a more organized fashion.

EDIT: Okay, I finished all the chapters today, and I have the bigger glitches listed as well. Here's a link if anyone is interested:
http://papermariorta.wikia.com/wiki/Paper_Mario

Also, it's still a bit messy, since some of the routes I used for reference have inconsistencies/lack of continuity, so I figured the route is a work in progress.

Also, #pmario for anyone interested in chatting with other Paper Mario...ers.
A bit of a bump, but a ton has happened in #pmario since four months ago.

The single segment time is currently at an all time low of 4:01 (JRTA), 3:46 SDA timing. That run was done by 0xwas.

However, two recent glitches that save a total of almost 10 minutes have been found over the last week and were not used in the 4:01 run above.

First glitch was discovered by Kliglyargrt and refined by many members. This involves clipping OoB to reach the pink switch early in Chapter 4. This skips having to bake a cake for Gourmet Guy. Overall, this saves around 2-2.5 minutes. Video below.

Second glitch was discovered today/yesterday after a bunch of people in the community played around with skipping having to find the Yoshis and get the Jade Raven in Chapter 5. It is indeed possible now. This video by the_super_champ (same guy credited for finding the Lakilester building clip) highlights what happens when you go in the back way to the giant tree of the Ravens.

http://www.twitch.tv/the_super_champ/b/345111170?t=7m45s

Anyway...that's it for updates. Sub 4 is definitely possible (and pretty easy at this point). Considering additional optimization with these glitches and other route changes, the single segment may break the current Segmented Run by NoiseCrash here pretty soon. Stay tuned.
Star That Split The Darkness
I can't wait for 0xwas to break 4 hours thumbsup
Edit history:
NoiseCrash: 2012-12-04 07:09:52 am
@_@
Quote from doicm:
Anyway...that's it for updates. Sub 4 is definitely possible (and pretty easy at this point). Considering additional optimization with these glitches and other route changes, the single segment may break the current Segmented Run by NoiseCrash here pretty soon. Stay tuned.

That's awesome! I remember back in the day we figured the segmented route would be hard to optimize much more, even by another segmented run, barring the discovery of new tricks or glitches. Now, so many have been found that it's looking like it'll be beaten by an SS. Once it reaches that point I may just have to start seeing how low a segmented route could go... I wonder if being able to manipulate Peril Mario and Close Call reliably on top of all these new discoveries would bring it down close to 3 hours.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
Well iateyourpie actually beat 0xwas to the punch (for once) and is the first person in the world to break sub-4 hours SS, with a 3:43:42 Star Rod, 3:58:43 final split. And while there were a ton of mistakes, just adding up the mistakes in the run pretty much means that that a 3:37 Star Rod ought to be the new goal.
Edit history:
doicm: 2012-12-05 04:56:37 pm
Oh dear...

Two new skips found. One of them GREATLY OVERSHADOWS the other though. The first is skipping Raphael + Ultra Stone. Saves 2 minutes in addition to Yoshi skip posted earlier. Discovered by Flare. Posted below:

The other...early blue house trick.

Basically, after you've completed chapter 1, you can clip into the blue house early by jumping into it from the roof, beating Blooper, and opening the pipe to Chapter 5. Yep. You can skip 3 chapters there (although you'll still want to go to 2 and 3 for Parakerry and Bow, as well as getting Mega Rush in Tubba Blubba's). Credit goes to Bonecrusher and r0bd0g. Still working on optimizing.

Two videos: One done on emulator. Other done on console.

http://www.twitch.tv/the_super_champ/b/345587103?t=1m55s

Both tricks are pretty dang tough. As far as the #pmario community seems to be concerned, they may make this a separate category. I'm kinda dumbfounded at this point though.
Is PJ
Holy smokes!  O_O
@_@
Wow, the Blue House skip makes me curious about all other kinds of things related to it as well... Unfortunately I don't really have the time to keep up at all with any of the discussion going on over there but I'm sure they're on top of it judging from what I've seen!

As far as the category goes I have to agree that it would push any route that uses the Blue House skip would be labeled as using major skips for SDA at least.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
man, this makes me want to replay this game badly. last time i beat it was in like 2008.
So...turns out that some people could get the BH skip...others struggled with it heavily. There seemed to be an overall consensus in the community that it is extremely difficult to do single segment and that very few people would do it (none have really done it yet). No consistent method for it has been found yet.

However, there is ANOTHER skip that has proven more feasible in single segment: Early Train. After getting Parakerry, you head back to Toad Town, clip into the shop where the Train for Chapter 4 is, grab the train, and glitch OoB back onto solid ground. Even though this doesn't skip nearly as much as BH skip does, this for now seems to be much easier and more consistent to execute. This also accomplishes similar triggers to BH skip, in that you can enter Forbidden Forest after doing this and also enter Chapter 4 right away. Showcase of trick is in link below:

http://www.twitch.tv/0xwas/c/1772402?t=52m20s

Since this skip was discovered and utilized, and since there are multiple ways to skip chapters now, we in the community have decided to separate the categories between "Any%" and "Any% All Cards." 100% appears to be staying the same in that categories won't be separated (although chapters can be skipped). It's up to SDA to decide, if and when a 100% run is submitted, whether or not to separate those categories on this site. It probably won't be replaced unless the segmented run for 100% is beaten (even though that run was not able to be submitted due to quality issues).

Speaking of breaking segmented records, it has been done, and by quite a bit. 0xwas recently got a 3:27:55 JRTA timing, which is equivalent to about a 3:13 SDA timing. This also was his first full attempt with the new skips, and he can improve this pretty easily from what he indicated. For anyone interested...

http://www.twitch.tv/0xwas/c/1772402

That's all for now!
Stuff slowed down for a little bit at least. Update!

Regardless, the SDA timing for any% is almost down to sub 2:30 now...it's been a good ride. Only a couple of things as far as big skips go.

You can now skip the Lava Piranha fight. A while back, if you skipped the text with Kolorado before the Lava Piranha fight, it softlocked you to fight him repeatedly until you went back up to talk to Kolorado. However, thanks to a new glitch, you can skip that fight. Thanks to Bonecrusher and some other dudes I bet (lot of people work on these) for the find. See the video for details:

Also, The_super_champ, aka TacoMafia decided to try a "low%" run to go about as low as possible. (1) He skips getting Lucky Star (there is a glitch for that, but it's pretty useless to skip it in speedruns, (2) he only uses one badge (power jump, iirc), and (3) he skips just about everything else. He did this run in one sitting and netted about 12 hours, with many MANY resets on Huff n Puff, Crystal King, and probably Bowser. I didn't catch the whole run, but from what I saw it was entertaining to say the least.

If I've missed any other big tricks, you can find the glossary on the RTA wiki here: http://papermariorta.wikia.com/wiki/Paper_Mario#Tricks_Glossary

As far as actual times go, here are the latest...I think...I hope... (all JRTA timing):
* Any% in 2:45:47 by Anatomyz
* All Cards in 3:44:30 by iateyourpie
* 100% in 5:58:10 by 0xwas (he was on track to beating this, but his timer died, and he didn't want to continue the run)

Subtract each of those by about 15 minutes, and you get the equivalent SDA timing. The only segmented runs that still beat the above is RaikerZ's 100%.

For the latest leaderboards of this game and others in the series, you can click here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AiHt1oJHe6o2dEpoSGtlMkFJWFlOWFdIZ3VlUzY5d3c&output=html
<(^_^)>
I'm assuming that would be a trick not used for all-cards?

also awesome stuff Smiley
Quote from kirbymastah:
I'm assuming that would be a trick not used for all-cards?

also awesome stuff Smiley

Yeah, since you don't ever technically touch the card using this. This would be used in any%...and possibly 100%.......who knows.
<(^_^)>
I don't see a reason to not do it in 100%, but I don't know the game that well, so what do I know (shrugs)