Sad
<- 1234567 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
What's that gemma?
Do future party member recruits join at a higher level if your level is high, or are whichever party members happen to be with you when you go exploring for levels essentially locked in as your only useful characters?
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Crow!:
Do future party member recruits join at a higher level if your level is high, or are whichever party members happen to be with you when you go exploring for levels essentially locked in as your only useful characters?

To my recollection, the levels future characters appear at depend on your average party levels, but it's been a while since I did NG.
SirVG is right; characters are at the same level as the average level of your party, so everyone comes at ~lvl 50

Also now it's for sure, this trick saves 3 hours, I got a 7h33 as a first run, with pretty bad endgame still Smiley
Quote from Sir VG:
I tried to recreate it today, but obviously messed something up as I couldn't get Reyn to push me through the door. Will try some more later.

I've been practicing on the N3DS, mostly unsuccessfully (for me its the block-jump), but from my attempts, Reyn has to be the second party member to push you through the door. I usually get through within two attempts that way. I still haven't succeeded after ~70 attempts with him in the 3rd party slot.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from LunaStik:
Quote from Sir VG:
I tried to recreate it today, but obviously messed something up as I couldn't get Reyn to push me through the door. Will try some more later.

I've been practicing on the N3DS, mostly unsuccessfully (for me its the block-jump), but from my attempts, Reyn has to be the second party member to push you through the door. I usually get through within two attempts that way. I still haven't succeeded after ~70 attempts with him in the 3rd party slot.

Well, as long as you don't switch characters, Reyn will always be second at that point in the run with Fiora being 3rd.
Quote from Sir VG:
Quote from LunaStik:
Quote from Sir VG:

Well, as long as you don't switch characters, Reyn will always be second at that point in the run with Fiora being 3rd.

I realize that, I messed up the order initially after a mistake when equipping the characters. (I leveled up an art for the achievement and while i was at it, I upgraded Reyn's weapon, and pressed Y instead of A). Figured its useful to have the constraints on the glitch even if the fail condition won't be met in an actual run.

I'm actually planning on this being my first real speed run, even without recording it. Any suggestions for the jump up to the upper levels of Tephra? I've attempted it about 5 times each in 30 battles and haven't gotten it yet.
Edit history:
Finrod: 2015-05-12 02:00:58 pm
You need to be level 8 and have the block guarder to have a chance to get it quite fast; And if you are interesting in running Xenoblade I will do another run after my 7:33:05 to make sure strats are better and then fully rewrite the route Smiley

Also it's possible on N3DS I'm pretty sure Wink
Edit history:
LunaStik: 2015-05-19 08:30:30 am
During practice, Reyn wasn't pushing me through the door, so I switched Fiora to the second spot. It turns out to get through the door, it isn't Reyn, but whoever is in the second slot. So, if you end up making a mistake during equipment or some sort like I did before, the character in the second slot, regardless of who it is, can push you through the door.
You shouldn't equip whe having Fiora with the route. Basically you get with Shulk to the outlook park and getting every equipment needed on the way (block guarder and such), so that you get quick step ASAP and equip it right away, and then once you get Reyn when heading to the Tephra cave you equip all his equipment, the strength up gem on Shulk and HP up on Reyn. No other equipment before a while ^^ Anyway that's a good thing to know Smiley
Edit history:
LunaStik: 2015-05-19 10:16:12 am
I realize that I shouldn't equip. but I didn't get the block guarder till after I got Fiora on my practice file. Literally just to practice the glitch(es). I had already planned a slightly better route.

Right now my C9 route is to rush to Fiora (on the way trading for guarder), unequip her for some cash, buy some intermediate books, level up one of shulk's arts to slightly speed up to level 8 through achievement, run through the end of tephra to level 6-7, beat a UM (right now I've been practicing on Evil Rhangrot) to level 8, then glitch.
Killing a unique monster takes quite some time however, even more if it's lvl 8 or something. Also buying sword slash for intermediate book is more rewarding later on, and if you do all the quests on the route and just sell Shulk's boots you have enough for buying it and a slotted gauntlet.

Doing 3 quests, OS a skeeter on the way, the H2H, getting te quick step gem and equipping it and using the book should be enough to get lvl 8 at Villia's ake, and if not then up an art or fall in the water at the hangar. There is no real need to kill UM.
Ah, there's the difference. I've been doing two quests. Which 3 have you been doing, I'm thinking we've both been doing the wedding ring collection quest, as you pass by the ring and the NPC on the way to the military district. The other quest I've been doing I've been more questionable on, and am very sure I should replace it. Which do you think are the next two fastest?

I've also been trading for the block guarder, which gave achievement XP, but do you think doing the Niranira quest is quicker overall?
For the trick if you have more armor you can have more opportunities for guarding; that's why you want some Regnas item you get from trades: Dorothy's Regnas gear, Narine's Regnas bottom, and also Niranira's regnas gauntlet. With that you should have 1/2 chances to get it first try ^^

And since you have to trade with Niranira, then you got that I do this quest pretty much obviously, so I actually didn't consider this quest in the 3 quests to do ^^

The three quests I do is the key quest that you start near the gem's man stall, done really close to Niranira. And right next to the collectible there is another search quest done with a Nopon, and the item is close to the boy you need to talk to anyway for Niranira's quest.

The last one would either be the wedding ring one, problem is you need to switch night; the other possible one is Dionysis' quest: it gives slotted boots, quite useful, an you just need to get 2 bonus item from Niranira's trade, AKA pretty much just one more trade with him... Since t's on the way, I'm more opting for this quest.

Also for the quick step gem you need chewy radish, which you can only get from Jackson with a snow plate early game, so if you can't get it you are screwed... for the 3 other, trade with Leopold for sweet wasabi, Giorgio for red lettuce, and Rocco for cool potato Wink
hey guys, anyone knows if there is a VOD for the japanese WR ? I see a 6:05 turbo jp WR on LGG infos on twitch but there is no link to it. And the niconico link previously linked on this thread is actually a segmented run (and apparently a not finished one.).

I'm really confused, i want to see the japanese run while making my notes. I know it shouldn't but it's driving me crazy xD

And i think we should have a discussion, i'd say we can't compare our times with the japanese times. I know there is not a lot of runs yet, but we should recognize the 7:33 -legrandgrand- run as the current World Record NG any% no turbo (or some sort of appelation that can cleary separate this category from the turbo japanese runs).

My name is AzStrocyte i'm mostly a FF8 runner(any% and All Bosses) but i'm planning to run this Xenoblade Chronicles before the end of the month. Welcome everyone PogChamp
The way nico works is weird, so even if runs are done RTA they are still segmented on the site. Anyway here is the 6:05 run, completed: http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/47933405

Anyway I thought about doing quite the same thing as does the FF communty for leaderboard: say jap version can use turbo and US/PAL aren't allowed to do so. Would make 2 different "leaderboard", and that's what I don't like, but I don't feel like we can call Braster's run WR because of the western standards - no third-party controller and such. However my actual PB is really bad so I don't like calling it WR nyway ^^" even with turbo I wouldn't even match Braster's run I'm pretty sure, considering my endgame.

Also something I just realized is that even if he doesn't get the bonus staff he keeps leading with Melia for the whole endgame, while I thought she wasnt worthing it since oly lvl 76 for Zanza 2, which is something I never considered.
I think it could depend on your luck with crystal farming in Tephra after the glitch. You can get Poison Plus gems for Melia and get some interesting Seven builds if you want to experiment a little beforehand.

Granted those are both pretty luck based, but it could work.

Maybe we could also experiment with other Melia builds, considering we aren't concerned with dying (I'm thinking for now I would Melia/Shulk, Dunban, Riki for counter death skills and use party gauge to revive from Talent Arts). We might find uses for usually discredited buffs like Summon Wind. Just Theorying, and doubt it would be useful. Probably the most useful would be Ether in this case because two Ether users. An argument for Flare can be made if we switch Riki for Seven, depending on build and luck.

I'm actually more concerned about Mechonis Field. I've been debating whether it's better to use Enchant, Mechonis Weapons, or Seven, Melia, Riki party. I would answer Shulk, Melia, X, but neither Shulk nor Melia do well on AI in that area in my testing so should drop one of them at least.

I know that some of these teams may not be optimal, but strats are probably going to end up varying wildly based on collectopedia crystals and such, if we want to cut out on as much luck as possible. I'm thinking we should start also listing trade priorities based on what enemies drop what loot at certain times. I already know some trade priorities, but they aren't useful for speedstrats as 75% of them require high-ish area affinities, which won't really be helpful outside of Fallen Arm when we start grinding again (or at least, when I plan on starting).
Edit history:
Finrod: 2015-05-20 08:49:02 am
Sword Valley is when it starts being hard, so there you want Melia/Shulk, Riki and Dunban. Dunban is a must have for really cool strats at Galahad (Heat haze into soaring tempest, an then chain attack pretty much everytime), so you really want his anti mechon weapon there. Quite the same for Riki, because burninate, you can do it and happy happy are just awesome. Then Melia is likely going to be the most interesting one there, so you basically want anti mechon weapons from here. Also that's the first shop where you actually buy armors (and you need engineer belt anyway) so you really want to get those weapons.

Mechonis Field you actually only have one fight, Jade Face 1, and the team there is Shulk because DPS and shield (even though the jap route oesnt use it because he deals enough damage somehow, likely because of strength up gems), Riki and Dunban. No real alternative team there.

Then there is the farm before the fights for blowing up the vent, and actually a really interesting team the jap route used was Shulk, Fiora Seven and Dunban. I think he uses Melia and Riki for Mechonis Core and maybe Jade face 2, so that's why you still want to buy weapons at Machina Refuge after the farm (there is a cool trick to get there from Great Battle Scar btw).

About trades, we pretty much just rely on what we get in the overworld, because trading after Makhna takes too much time and there aren't much interesting gems to get before anyway. You don't really need that much gems actually, just a few agility you should get anyway. And if you really want to trade stuff, you still have collectables you took on your way, because it's also 95% of your money source.
Edit history:
Finrod: 2015-06-04 04:27:02 pm
Finrod: 2015-06-04 04:26:14 pm
Finrod: 2015-06-04 04:25:30 pm
I promised this for a while, and it's now out! The Xenoblade NG route: bombch.us/BD3L !

Just wanna emphazyse it's just my route, which is still likely to change... Mainly my endgame, I really didn't test enough stuff, was really too impatient to do runs :3 )
A few things...

I've played this game through several times, all NG, none as a speedrun.  My "success condition" for my games has evolved to be the defeat all the UMs, which requires more quests, trading and gemcrafting than most speedrunners probably want (my games last ~45 hrs)... still, though, I have found this to be the most satisfying way to play/replay the game.  I'm wondering if anyone else plays this way... or has thought about it?

Also, I find the timing of these recent Tephra Cave exploits suspicious.  I think it's likely that someone knew about them for a while, but waited until after the N3DS release to reveal them so that they weren't patched.

Finally, congrats to all the record-holders here as well as those who share their notes and videos.  I follow and appreciate it all.
Hello ^^ And thanks for the congratz. I absolutly don't know anything about how the trick was found since  it came up in the japanese community. Also the door clip is known for a while: someone told me like 3 years ago that a clip existed in Mag Mell, as he was told by his cousn, but he didn't know where exactly it was... I tried to find something on my own but couldn't, and I'm pretty sure he was talking of the door clip.

Also about a high completion playthrough there are still a lot of people doing so, but I really love speedruns and even more running this game. But I really would be interested in a "100%" speedrun. Still need to define what that 100% would mean, so that it stays  interesting but still having a game quite complete.
I think it's just a question of defining it and doing it.  Here are my thoughts on the 100%-able elements of the game, organized across a spectrum of "Yes" / "Probably Yes" / "Maybe" / "Probably No" / "No"

YES
a) Defeat Zanza
b) Killing every UM (i.e. 255 affinity coins, assuming you reach level 99)
c) Unlocking characters' 4th and 5th Skill Branches and the Monado Arts
d) 5* Affinity with all areas
e) No quests expire due to story progression (i.e. all Refugee Camp done before moving to C6, Sword Valley done before Central Factory, Alcamoth done before Mechonis Core, etc).  All quests accepted and fulfilled.
f) Filling the Collectopaedia

PROBABLY YES
g) Complete affinity between all party members (All Heart-to-Hearts)
h) Filling out the maps with all Landmarks/Locations

MAYBE
i) Getting every advanced art book
j) Getting every Achievement
k) Completing all characters' skill branches

PROBABLY NOT
l) Leveling up every art on every character to Lv X
m) Getting every NPC affinity link

NO
n) Maxing out gold
o) Getting every weapon, armor, gem and item in your inventory at some point, even if sold later
p) Maxing out AP at 999999 (or whatever)
q) Maxing out Affinity Coins at 999 (the NG+ max) vs 255 (the NG max)
r) Killing every monster type at least once, even those that only appear once but are not UMs (like Spirit-Gadolt)

I think there would be consensus around the YES items (a)-(f).  The rest, I believe, would be up for debate/discussion.  So, please, let's debate and discuss and try to firm up the parameters.
Fucking Weeaboo
I think h should be pushed to Yes, since you're probably going to do it anyways if you're going for 5* affinity, no quests, and kill all UMs. g to me is a Probably Not. i is a Probably Yes. j is a no.
Two more...
(s) Complete C6 Reconstruction = Probably Yes
(t) Visit all High-Entia Secret Locations = Probably Not
I'm OK for what is in both the yes and no.

There is actually a possible way to farm AP/SP decently fast once at level 99 wuithout NG+, but I assume it would get boring after a while. Quite the same for party affinity, which can be obtained pretty decently if you do most of the quests strategically.

Also all locations should be in yes, since that allows to see the whole map too, which means fully explored area.

All achievements is definitly no because there are some really REALLy stupid records to get (1k gold chest, or the new year achievement, for example.) However all TRIALS would be probably yes to me, since it's manageable. Since one of the trial is complete C6 reconstruction, it goes together.

Every NPC affinity link however should go to no. it's pretty boring, and it's quite a hard thing to check really.
I’ve only gotten feedback from Finrod & Sir VG, but let’s update/revisit this discussion based on what I heard...

YES
a) Defeating Zanza
b) Killing every UM (i.e. 255 affinity coins, assuming you reach level 99)
c) Unlocking characters' 4th and 5th Skill Branches and the Monado Arts
d) 5* Affinity with all areas
f) Filling the Collectopaedia
h) Filling out the maps with all Landmarks/Locations
i) Getting every advanced art book
s) Completing C6 Reconstruction

MAYBE [Finrod’s goals for completeness were more ambitious than Sir VG’s]
e) No quests expire due to story progression.  All quests accepted and fulfilled.
g) Complete affinity between all party members (All Heart-to-Hearts)
j1) Completing every Trial

NO
j2) Getting every Record
k) Completing all characters' skill branches
l) Leveling up every art on every character to Lv X
m) Getting every NPC affinity link
n) Maxing out gold
o) Getting every weapon, armor, gem and item in your inventory at some point, even if sold later
p) Maxing out AP at 999999 (or whatever)
q) Maxing out Affinity Coins at 999 (the NG+ max) vs 255 (the NG max)
r) Killing every monster type at least once
t) Visiting all High-Entia Secret Locations

[Note: I split (j) which was “Get all Achievements” into (j1) for Trials and (j2) for Records.]

So, just for the current YES list above, how long do you guys expect that would take?  Are you thinking this would be done as a RTA?  My experience/analysis is that even this short list would probably be too ambitious and take too long for a RTA. 

When I play (and, remember, I’m not a true speed-runner), my games only focus on a&b (Zanza plus all UMs) and I’m just beginning to bring those times <40hrs by using the Tephra glitch, the Soter Ruins and the Bone Corridor lizards to speed leveling up.  My in-game times are now ~36hrs plus probably 3-4 hrs for saving/reloading when gem-crafting, opening chests, hunting collectibles or just dying at inopportune times.

I’d truly like to see something more than the current ~6h Any% NG RTAs that are out there, but we’re back to the problem of building consensus on an acceptable goal.

Thoughts?