Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
${$uid.$user}{' usertext'}
I think the traditional way involved feasting on his internal organs... errrm...

*goes back sacrificing virgins*
Jack of all Trades
LOL! That has always make me giggle like a school girl for some reason. "I shall eat the heart of my slain enemy and EARN HIS POWERS!"
Quote:
LOL! That has always make me giggle like a school girl for some reason. "I shall eat the heart of my slain enemy and EARN HIS POWERS!"

Bah!  Shaddap and get in my belly.
MGS for PS1 forever.
So far I've seen the first segment and I'm amazed so far. I will undoubtably download the whole thing before I go back to my other gigs of downloading...unless the 1:01 Super Mario 64 gets put up soon. *drooling*
Sleeping Terror
Great run. ^_^

One thing I thought of while watching it... since this is segmented, couldn't you (ab)use gambling to get good items?
First off, even though this is a critique, I really am thankful that you (Marshmallow) did the very first speed run of D2X. I hope that your run will inspire others to try this and if you or they do here are some things that could help drive the time below 90 minutes.

1: Automap: i usually put mine off center and mini so that it doesn't get in the way of fighting. I noticed you manaully had to switch the map on a number of occasions.

2: hotkeys: if you are used to what you have, great, but i set my hot keys up  so that pretty much every thing I need is where may hands would be for playing quake (asdfgh,zxcvbn for example). Like the automap, I think you can do this on a prior character and it will automatically carry over when you start your real deal speed runner.

3: Item management: a: socketed items and gems. it is a good idea to get a socketed weapon and put a sapphire in it for the cold effect. After that you could put in a emerald (not that it is all that important, but i think poison stops monsters from regenerating). If you have a third slot it wouldn't hurt to put elemental damage different that your main attack in it just in case you come up against those nasty baddies with resistances. b: You could have taken a split second to throw away the crappy armor and shield, who knows, you may have been able to pick up something semi decent like a socketed hard leather where sapphires and rubies could have done something. c: In the beginning of the game, javelins and gas bombs are very powerful, and cost no mana. They help provide a ranged attack for the harder baddies and javelins can smoke andariel. d: Also, its only in very rare cases that a two row belt is better than a three row belt. Death Guard's Sash <cannot be frozen> is the only one that i can think of. You only need 25 strength and level 7 or 8 to buy a belt from the shops, or you can gamble one at 9 or 10. In hell and above you may see a spidersilk sash. It is a 4 row belt that takes little strength to equip. And since we're on the subject of belts...

4: potion management: you can purchase-to-fill an empty three row belt with a few clicks: buy one red potion, shift-buy all blue, shift-buy all red. This will give you 3 red and 9 blue potions. Also, special potions like thawing and antidote dont work this way. You have to put them in your belt manually then hold click to fill up the rest of the column (as long as there are empty slots of course). I'm sure you know about the whole "shift-cliking to directly fill the belt from the inventory" by now, but another thing is that three regular rejuvinations can be transformed into a full rejuvenation. If you are going to pick up gems, maybe a better use for them is to transform them into regular rejuvs. That is a question of playing style and time economics. Maybe regular potions are enough, but it is always nice to have that full rejuv handy "just in case" Grin

5: Jabari management: except for fighting uber bosses, your henchman doesn't need to die. You can hold down shift while pressing auto-potion and it will go to your Jabari instead. Henchmen may cost some time to equip, but i think they will pay off in the extra exp they can get as well as their impact on battle lengths. Money would be a concern here however, but if you manage your Jabari with potions, he'll rarely die in normal situations. As far as act I goes, they cannot be purchased unless you kill blood raven which is a waste of time. For act II, its a debate, but I would go with combat. Act III is obviously Ice. Act V barbs are also quest-unlockable and thus out of the question. Its a good thing too because they are expensive (!)

6: Skills: Assassin. There were times when you no longer were after exp that you had to fight to bypass monsters. A skill point into cloak of shadows would work wonders. It will allow you to sneak pass most creatures, except for bosses and the like. Im not sure why you would need strength above 25, unless you really had to have hard leather armor. Since you beat the game without armor at all, I doubt you would need it. For a mostly skill based offense, mana is key, though with proper potion management those close calls wouldn't be as close and the battles would be quicker. The fire waves are really sweet against baal and diablo. They allowed you to hit them from a place where they couldn't hit you. Game. Set. Match. 8)

7: shrines and other clickable items: this is very minor time wise, but it may help to push the overall time below 90 minutes. Some shrines are worthless (armor, monster, fire, gem) and should never be clicked. Other shrines have to be considered in the tactical situation: will this shrine advance me farther in the next two minutes than I can go otherwise? Sometimes yes and some times no. Random treasure containers should almost never be picked up. If you maddogged it and tried act one over and over until you got an uber item at the beggining, yeah, click away. Otherwise, its not worth the split second.

8: picking fights: this is something that I think can be improved and systematized, but I have no proof. Trial and error and empirical testing is needed. a) everything is time vs exp, some of the anti-social baddies with high hp's (like the arachs in the catacombs) should be avoided. Also, if you want to build up quick, target those monsters weak to your main attack/mass attack. The fly swarms are weak to fire, as are the wraiths. (the goats aren't e.g.) The lightning beetles give mad exp and have few hps. Avoid the temptation to fiddle with items while fighting. Also, put the cube where you aren't going to accidentally click on it like on the extreme left.

9: Holy Grail(s): Getting under 2 hours is completely awesome, but I think 90 minutes is already within reach, and 60 minutes will be the ultimate achievement. Other grails would be runs for all the character classes, and coop (2 through 8) runs. Not dying at any point would be nice, and never using save and exit to escape battle or to go back and get exp would be super. Its a long time until christmas and I think I wont be getting a good game system until then, so until then, good luck to all the marshmallow wanna-bes!! (I wish I was one!) Wink
Well, act1 is possible within 20 minutes, but then you are hardly above lv6.

How you intend to complete the rest of the game in the other 40 minutes will be your secret ok? Smiley
Edit history:
marshmallow: 2005-06-18 08:10:55 am
Jack of all Trades
Wow Coriolanus, you sure did talk a lot without saying much that is relevant to my run.

Quote:
1: Automap: i usually put mine off center and mini so that it doesn't get in the way of fighting. I noticed you manaully had to switch the map on a number of occasions.

If by 'manually' you mean 'hitting tab', then yeah, sure. That's how I play and it doesn't slow me down at all. I thought it was rather odd how Gorash played with the map in a corner since you'd have to divert your eyes from the action and it's much more intuitive if my character is right on top of my map icon symbol.

Quote:
2: hotkeys: if you are used to what you have, great, but i set my hot keys up  so that pretty much every thing I need is where may hands would be for playing quake (asdfgh,zxcvbn for example). Like the automap, I think you can do this on a prior character and it will automatically carry over when you start your real deal speed runner.

Indeed.

Quote:
3: Item management: a: socketed items and gems. it is a good idea to get a socketed weapon and put a sapphire in it for the cold effect. After that you could put in a emerald (not that it is all that important, but i think poison stops monsters from regenerating). If you have a third slot it wouldn't hurt to put elemental damage different that your main attack in it just in case you come up against those nasty baddies with resistances.

Monster regeneration is not a concern in normal. Due to my low level and pitiful AR my chance of hitting something is quite low and even if I did the dmg is terrible. Then there's the time wasted looking for a good socketed claw.

Quote:
b: You could have taken a split second to throw away the crappy armor and shield, who knows, you may have been able to pick up something semi decent like a socketed hard leather where sapphires and rubies could have done something.

Not really worth it.

Quote:
c: In the beginning of the game, javelins and gas bombs are very powerful, and cost no mana. They help provide a ranged attack for the harder baddies and javelins can smoke andariel.

Didn't need it. Better to sell for gold.

Quote:
d: Also, its only in very rare cases that a two row belt is better than a three row belt. Death Guard's Sash <cannot be frozen> is the only one that i can think of. You only need 25 strength and level 7 or 8 to buy a belt from the shops, or you can gamble one at 9 or 10. In hell and above you may see a spidersilk sash. It is a 4 row belt that takes little strength to equip. And since we're on the subject of belts...

OK...not sure what this had to do with my run.

Quote:
4: potion management: you can purchase-to-fill an empty three row belt with a few clicks: buy one red potion, shift-buy all blue, shift-buy all red. This will give you 3 red and 9 blue potions. Also, special potions like thawing and antidote dont work this way. You have to put them in your belt manually then hold click to fill up the rest of the column (as long as there are empty slots of course). I'm sure you know about the whole "shift-cliking to directly fill the belt from the inventory" by now, but another thing is that three regular rejuvinations can be transformed into a full rejuvenation. If you are going to pick up gems, maybe a better use for them is to transform them into regular rejuvs. That is a question of playing style and time economics. Maybe regular potions are enough, but it is always nice to have that full rejuv handy "just in case" Grin

Regular potions are enough.

Quote:
5: Jabari management: except for fighting uber bosses, your henchman doesn't need to die. You can hold down shift while pressing auto-potion and it will go to your Jabari instead. Henchmen may cost some time to equip, but i think they will pay off in the extra exp they can get as well as their impact on battle lengths. Money would be a concern here however, but if you manage your Jabari with potions, he'll rarely die in normal situations. As far as act I goes, they cannot be purchased unless you kill blood raven which is a waste of time. For act II, its a debate, but I would go with combat. Act III is obviously Ice. Act V barbs are also quest-unlockable and thus out of the question. Its a good thing too because they are expensive (!)

Jabari?

I only needed the cold merc because there are two fire immunes that need to be killed (Grand Vizier and Colenzo).

I let him die because...he's not that useful otherwise. I run fast, he's weak, and I do more than enough damage. I need the potions for myself. I know how to feed mercs a potion without dragging (indeed, I did this before the Diablo fight)

Quote:
6: Skills: Assassin. There were times when you no longer were after exp that you had to fight to bypass monsters. A skill point into cloak of shadows would work wonders. It will allow you to sneak pass most creatures, except for bosses and the like. Im not sure why you would need strength above 25, unless you really had to have hard leather armor. Since you beat the game without armor at all, I doubt you would need it. For a mostly skill based offense, mana is key, though with proper potion management those close calls wouldn't be as close and the battles would be quicker. The fire waves are really sweet against baal and diablo. They allowed you to hit them from a place where they couldn't hit you. Game. Set. Match. Cool

I desperately needed every point I earned to be put into WoF. Taking two away from it just for cloak is pretty silly, especially considering cloak would be worthless.

I put some points into strength in the hopes I might see a two socket shield lying around.

Quote:
7: shrines and other clickable items: this is very minor time wise, but it may help to push the overall time below 90 minutes.

The logic hurts my head.

Quote:
Also, put the cube where you aren't going to accidentally click on it like on the extreme left.

When I play on b.net I like to put the cube on the right side, and have the two books below it. I don't know why, just a weird habit. Doing that in a speed run would be a huge waste.

Quote:
9: Holy Grail(s): Getting under 2 hours is completely awesome, but I think 90 minutes is already within reach, and 60 minutes will be the ultimate achievement. Other grails would be runs for all the character classes, and coop (2 through Cool runs. Not dying at any point would be nice, and never using save and exit to escape battle or to go back and get exp would be super.

No. Just...no. No one is getting 90 minutes unless something horrible happens.
Hey Ho Let's Go
Just finished watching all the segments! Beautiful playing Marshmallow, truly awesome! Close call at the Ancients, huh?!  Smiley

So, who's going to do a Diablo1/Hellfire run...?  :party:
Marsh:

How low do you think the time can be pushed?
Woo, it's done Cheesy
What an incredible run of marsh. Not bad, dude. To all who said it´s impossible to do a run of Diablo next time plz be quiet. Thx to Gorash for the first Diablo2 act 1 run, too. It was very funny to watch. I´m glad that you die in LOD too ;-)  My question is when will you speedrun Diablo1/Hellfire. Marsh, are you planning a speedrun of WARCRAFT 3 and FROZEN THRONE in the NEAR future???
Hmm, maybe I should register so I could edit :-[

Regardless, some pointers:
- Take of your shield in the beginning. Blocking animation costs precious time.
- Shiftclicking the + symbol in the stats menu when levelling, assigns all unused skill points into that stat.
- Drinking multiple healing potions of the same type doesn't make you heal faster. You seem to be quaffing more potions than seems necesary.
- Try having some stamina potions with you at all times. I noticed a point where you were in Dark Wood, low on stamina, yet you ignored a potion.

Not much help, but that's all I could come up with after viewing one and a half parts. Good job Smiley
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-18 04:39:20 pm
I didn't even know about the shift left clicking in the status window. Shocked

Anyway, thx zeus, but I won't let this settle unless I really see how much difference all this stuff makes. I'm just not as fast as marsh Wink

Also I've been wondering if maybe delaying leveling by half a level might give some advantage. The effects of being underlevelled don't apply under 25 unless the difference is 5 or greater (whereas over 25 ist clvl/mlvl*exp).
Quote:
Just finished watching all the segments! Beautiful playing Marshmallow, truly awesome! Close call at the Ancients, huh?!  Smiley

So, who's going to do a Diablo1/Hellfire run...?  :party:

*Shivers*

I can't stand Diablo I. Even if you did do a speedrun for it, most of them time it would be showing the loading screens going from level to level.

Oh, and a Diablo I speedrun wouldn't be too hard, since the maps aren't AS random as Diablo II. Most of the maps are the same.
MGS for PS1 forever.
Just a slight rant...but I've always heard that Diablo 1 is too short...that's one of the reasons why they made Diablo 2 to be so long...hello Act 3. Good lord. Is it just me or is Act 3 as long as Act 1, 2 and 4 combined? I had no problem with the length of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 seemed way to long...especially Act 3.

Kudos to Marshmallow for having the balls to do the whole game in under 2 hours. Me thinks that the other classes could be done as well...maybe not in under 2 hours, but probably definitely under the 7 hour limit.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Act 3 isn't that long, I found it shorter than Acts 1 and (especially) 2 overall. It's just that the jungle segment is a pain given how large it is compared to how few waypoints there are.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:

*Shivers*

I can't stand Diablo I. Even if you did do a speedrun for it, most of them time it would be showing the loading screens going from level to level.

Oh, and a Diablo I speedrun wouldn't be too hard, since the maps aren't AS random as Diablo II. Most of the maps are the same.

Actually with a modern computer the loading times in D1 are pretty short.
Congrats Marshy, awesome run.
I think if you shift-buy potions, you can lift your belt and the majority of them will fall into your inventory. Then you can put your belt back and repeat until you have the potions you need. That might be faster than buying them one at a time. Can anyone with the game confirm if that is the case?
Jack of all Trades
Quote:
Drinking multiple healing potions of the same type doesn't make you heal faster. You seem to be quaffing more potions than seems necesary.

This is true, but by taking 2-3 potions at once your orb is continually filling for the duration. Since an attack or two can almost kill me in some instances this is good since I'm in a constant state where my health keeps going up.
Why did you sell that rare armor you got at the beginning? Is armor really not important for this kind of run?
I don't get how you'd managed to get that waypoitn in act 5...
you kill diablo, tehn goto act5... ok, tehn you go back to act3 for levelign (your wrote that at least elvel 20 is required) but then you suddenly got that waypoint?! Is that because you gained level 20? Can't imagine that?!
Wow, crazy. And to think of all that talk of a 7+ hour run? Well played Marshmallow!

Your levelling, choice of character build and stats were all top-notch. Burst of Speed was a definate winner Smiley This was a really entertaining run. Thanks for posting.

I'm pretty sure there is a shortcut-key for selling items without dragging though Smiley
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-20 12:04:26 am
killswitcher:

Armor is only important for the magic properties it bears. Especially good are fire/lighting resistance, faster hit recovery and maybe mana/life bonus.

Although that armor got hit recovery the 1500 gold are important too. At the moment he sells that thing he's got 25 gold.

xeen:

Did you per chance miss a segment? There is one segment from beginning of act5 until waypoint Worldstone 2.