List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Berris: 2015-05-16 11:17:06 am
Berris: 2015-05-16 11:14:51 am
Running Brave Fencer Musashi
ok thanks for the link, I will try it out thumbsup

Edit: This emulator is really good, probably the closest to the console, but doesn't load the ToD fight Cry (I imported a memory card from other emulator just before the fight).
...Wha?
Shit...

I guess ePSXe is the only one that actually loads ToD. That's kind of unfortunate.
So... I was having an amazing run (WR Pace) but my Emulator crashed nearly at the end of the run (Before Topo), I paused my timer and I loaded from another save file that I had to continue.

Here is my Fake PB

Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/s_berris/c/6700730 (before the crash)

Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/s_berris/c/6700751 (After the crash)

this really sucks but at least I know that I can do Sub 2:45:00.

PD: FUCK ePSXe!!!!! 

SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Dang Berris, that sucks. I'll try to watch the VODs if I can get them to load at work. Just another reason to play on console Cheesy
...Wha?
Watching those and comparing splits...Berris is gettin' real close. Just gotta clean up some stuff Berris, but the run was pretty good for the most part. Cheesy
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Well, suck me sideways. I was on pace for about a 2:55:xx after losing 4 minutes in the early game. Decided to die in the room before Topo............... game is too good
Edit history:
Sh0rtCircuit: 2015-05-26 08:38:08 pm
...Wha?
I SAW THAT ON THE VOD!

Dude, you've tasted one of my bullshit deaths. XD Ever since I've had that happen, I always double jump through those two. But I guess my estimate of Sub 2:55 was spot fucking on with your sum of best at 2:52. Shit-tastic death, but you took it like a champ.

Food for thought, you can definitely clip the canon doors. The japanese guide I have illustrates it as using the bi-pedal mech to clip through, but I'm thinking it's possible to use the rifle douchebags in the same manner as the door skips in Frozen Palace.

I'm actually starting to get worried about my WR now. lol

EDIT: Trade Skypes? I'm sure it'll be boss to converse during races, or co-commentating for each other (because lets face it, my commentating sucks when I'm actually running).
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Dude. I will be working on clipping those doors as soon as I get back home (leaving tomorrow and will be back Sunday). My goal was Sub 3 by end of June but I think sub 2:45 will happen. I over slept early in the run and lost a few minutes sleeping for sky day too - so lots of time to save. My Skype is "Deuceler" feel free to add me.

I'm also on to something as far as getting on top of the hedges, using a damage boost to jump higher then supposed too - I'm going to be doing some TASing of the game as well and figuring out more mechanics soon. We could always skype convo during those times, would be good for ideas etc. I'm glad I was on a decent pace during the run though, with a horrible steam knight and shitty Macho - we'll see how things turn out.
I was there when the run died, at least it was pretty hype and it helped you to find out things that will help you in the future runs.

My Skype is "s_berris" you can add me too, but you will have to bear with my bad english Tongue .
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
For sure Berris! I'll add you today. I feel decent about runs right now and I'm looking forward to getting on them more. So much to learn and time to cut still.
...Wha?
Alrighty, looks like I'm off Tuesday and Friday next week. I have no real preference as to which day we race, I just wanna race. lol
Edit history:
Berris: 2015-05-29 05:44:35 pm
I can do a race in those days thumbsup now we need to arrange a time.
...Wha?
Okay, I lied about tuesday. Forgot that I'll be out at the gfs moms...which is a weekly thing. Despite that, I can race after work on Wednesday or Thursday, or Friday when I'm off.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Alright, sounds like Thursday is the day of the race. Anyone can feel free to join!
...Wha?
http://www.twitch.tv/sh0rtcircuit/v/6064638

New WR (for now). 2:46:04. Still so much to improve on!
Edit history:
Berris: 2015-06-29 02:04:46 pm
Berris: 2015-06-29 02:02:58 pm
I found a way to trigger the church fight, here is the video:

I don't find it useful in any way unless you do this after getting the L-Belt :P, because you get stuck outside the church after, you can only continue playing with the L-Belt.

here is how to do it with L-belt:
Edit history:
Deuceler: 2015-07-02 10:38:05 pm
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Small update, I improved the record and got a 2:43:46. There is more than enough time to save still but I was happy I got sub 2:45.

EDIT: IGT was 2:26

If anyone is interested in running the game I made a few tutorial videos that are currently unlisted on my Youtube. They explain major skips etc. and some of the games mechanics. I will be posting them all once I complete the series but if you want to take a peek let me know!
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Doing more work on some of the games speed tech and trying to understand it fully. Nothing really to interesting yet, but getting close to finding resolve with the Misteria Warp and hopefully one day being able to predict Macho. I'll post videos once more is found out
I have been talking with HolyAngel about the early church and he taught me a way to get it more easily and consistently.

Then I timed the time of "Early water scroll" and "Early church" and I compared them, here is the video:

I took in consideration Macho, because you need his money for the S-revive.

It looks like is faster to do the Early water scroll only if you got a first try macho.
Edit history:
vhgs: 2015-08-05 05:01:46 am
vhgs: 2015-08-05 05:00:57 am
vhgs: 2015-08-05 05:00:34 am
Well, this thread got a lot more lively, relatively speaking!

Anyway, regarding Skullpion. I'm pretty sure the phases break at 160/240/340 damage, but also it seems that knocking him off the wall does an invisible 20 damage (WHY), so don't forget about that if you're going to do counting. Extra damage doesn't carry over to the next phase.

I've got some more stuff I want to look into hopefully this weekend, but if there are any particularly burning open questions (other than 'how do we win at high or low every time?'), let me know and I'll add them to the list.
Edit history:
Deuceler: 2015-08-05 06:15:54 am
Deuceler: 2015-08-05 06:10:38 am
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
As far as Macho is concerned, the RNG for this game is a standard Playstation bios RNG that is also used in FFT. It changes every frame in the bar while you're talking to Wanda so in order to know exactly what the order is we'd have to know the frame we start the card game on. That being said, there is a way for us to possibly predict what the card would be - but I still need to do some math to see if it's possible.

EDIT: Great to see you back vhgs!
Edit history:
vhgs: 2015-08-06 11:25:37 pm
vhgs: 2015-08-06 11:25:34 pm
vhgs: 2015-08-06 10:17:52 pm
vhgs: 2015-08-06 09:45:33 pm
OK, I've been trying to figure out the amount of time we could save by gaining levels. There's still a lot of things I need to find out before I can give a good estimate, but so far it seems like getting some extra levels might average out to a minute or two saved over all four bosses that are affected by Lumina damage. So if we're lucky, it might turn out that it's just always faster to skip Macho entirely in favor of getting a few thousand Lumina xp in the church fight.

But also, I just found out you can do this.

I saw Berris doing basically the same thing in his PB, but I guess you can let the spin slash rip even earlier and she just runs into the active frames. It's probably faster on average to skip doing it for the first hit so you can get poisoned, but it definitely depends on your level, and I'm not sure what the crit rates are, so I dunno.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
The thing with early church is that you skip the fight because it's already day time. The vambees just die immediately. It was known to hit ant queen early but I didn't do it in my PB, and think it could save a decent amount of time. I get home Thursday and will be doing runs a lot - you should stop by and discuss some optimizations!
Edit history:
Berris: 2015-08-09 11:06:17 am
yeah like Deuce said, early church skips the fight so the only place you can level up lumina really fast is at the ant queen fight, you can also hit every enemy you encounter through* the game once with lumina while running and jumping to gain levels.

And about the sooner hit I didn't know that you can hit him even earlier.

Edit= *
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Just posting here to keep resources consistent. There was some major developments a month or so ago when a Japanese runner named Rensei submitted a run to speedrun.com that was 2:33:51, almost 10 minutes faster then my previous record. He used the early church route and a different sleeping schedule than we were to optimize some in game time moments. Boss fights were much cleaner and movement was improved.

There is still plenty of time to save and I know Berris is still actively running the game. I plan to return very soon and fully investigate the time differences in the Japanese and American versions of the game. I will post those findings here, along with any PB improvements from active runners. If you'd like to follow the game progress go to our official leaderboards where you can see standings and will soon have resources and guides!