Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 11 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Nothing compares to ffmpeg.  It's the industry leader and lots of software (including all stream software if I'm not mistaken) use ffmpeg in some way.  I don't think Kumari supports RGB formats, so you'll always get the big quality loss that comes from YUV420.  Although you do need YUV420 to submit HQ/MQ/LQ to SDA, it's better to have pure lossless recordings with a native pixel format so you can get better encodings after the fact, as well as submit IQ or XQ videos with RGB.  You can always encode to YUV420 from an RGB recording.
performance is probably no contest since this uses avfoundation's screen capture rather than the equivalent of hitting command-shift-3 over and over.
Edit history:
HDL: 2015-04-08 06:25:09 pm
I actually did notice a performance issue when recording with AVF, but the developers say they can't reproduce it (that's always very frustrating).  Maybe y'all can test and let me know if you experience it?  Here's the bug report: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4437

Try a recording with this command:

Code:
ffmpeg -f avfoundation -r 60 -pix_fmt 0rgb -i "3:3" -c:v huffyuv -vf crop=320:240:391:177 -c:a pcm_s16le ~/Desktop/avtest.mkv

For -i "3:3" and the crop filter you may need to change the numbers.  I recommend testing a 60 FPS game with an object that flickers every frame.

I also figured out what causes the audio delay bug and how to prevent it.  Apparently it happens if you try to record with a file name that exists and you don't include the -y option in your command.  ffmpeg will ask if you want to overwrite the previous file, and for some reason this screws with the recording.  So just use -y to automatically overwrite file names or simply don't use an existing file name.
Hi, im a newbie spanish runner...

I need some timer to run "Mike Tyson Punch out!" on mac... shitsplit its like i need, but... i need more details on, I need milliseconds!

http://gyazo.com/f1def53f74f03f498e0fb9d215b6e35f

In Glass Joe, for example, i made 1:13´12 , I need a timer to write this, Does anyone know a timer for mac like i need?

Sorry for my english :/
I use a spreadsheet for that.  I'd calculated it manually and verified that it's completely accurate.  It's attached.  Note that it's in Numbers format so if you want to use LibreOffice or Excel you'll need to convert it.

Some updates about 10.11 (El Capitan):

- Norichan won't work anymore.  It shows a blank white screen.  EasyCapViewer shows a bunch of static.
- The official Soundflower release doesn't work.  The kext signed version released here does: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases
- ffmpeg recording has a couple issues, developers know.
- PIP in CamTwist doesn't work.
- Audio Hijack works fine.
- CocoaSplit and OBS work fine.
So I picked up a game capture HD, but I guess it's useless?
I cannot figure out how to get the input outside of using the software it come with, which is atrocious.
EyeTV won't pick it up since it is too new of a device, OBS seems to not detect it nor does CocoaSplit.
Is it really impossible for any software to get at the data that is being transmitted? Am I missing something?
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2015-08-16 03:31:26 pm
HELLO!
Avermedia Game Capture HD is an external recorder. It's not for streaming.

I used one for a long while, but the Micomsoft Xcapture Mini is better and I use that now.
Are Elgato and Avermedia's Game Capture HDs the same thing?
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2015-08-17 06:01:39 am
HELLO!
Elgato? Ah, no that's different. Good luck!  There have been a lot of bad reports relating to Elgatos in this forum.
Edit history:
revenantkioku: 2015-08-17 06:16:32 am
revenantkioku: 2015-08-17 06:16:30 am
revenantkioku: 2015-08-17 06:16:30 am
Haha, thanks. Well, if I use their software to stream, I get good video and audio. Not really great if I want to do stuff like custom layouts, though. They have that "option" in it but for some reason if you overlay a webcam, well, first you can't have it not cover part of the game screen and second it just looks like complete crap. Weird. Looks fine in preview, awful in Twitch.

All I can hope is eventually OBS can pick it up in OS X like it apparently can in Windows. Or CocoaSplit does it.

Also, I am working on my split program again. Just going to release it free although I dunno about open sourcing it.

What are the "standards" for splits files? Any decent resources on that? Been using json files because it seems the most sane to me. I'm a few tweaks away from putting it out for some people to try using and getting feedback on what they want and need out of it. Maybe a week or two.
HELLO!
The splits standards I'm aware of are the submissions protocols used by Speedrun.com and splits.io
Okay, thanks! I dumped some splits on splits.io and got the JSON file from that to use as my base. As long as I can find some other files, I could just write the code to import/export those, but mainly deal in JSON within my program.
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2015-08-17 08:08:32 pm
HELLO!
Thank goodness somebody's using a sane format.  You and Dunnius are the only ones I think.  Everyone else if I recall is using binary formats.
proprietary binary formats?

hold on, let me pop in the new milli vanilli cassette single and then we can all put on our neon wife beaters and play with our slap bracelets.
Quote from revenantkioku:
So I picked up a game capture HD, but I guess it's useless?
I cannot figure out how to get the input outside of using the software it come with, which is atrocious.
EyeTV won't pick it up since it is too new of a device, OBS seems to not detect it nor does CocoaSplit.
Is it really impossible for any software to get at the data that is being transmitted? Am I missing something?

The Elgato drivers don't allow for it to be detected by other software.  You can still do a basic window or display capture and then crop it to show only the game.  Unfortunately that's more CPU intensive, but it's a necessary evil if you want the Elgato's 240p support.
Thanks. I should have done some more research before plopping down the cash. I just had such luck with my older Elgato devices that I just sprung for it.
Edit history:
revenantkioku: 2015-09-05 09:34:41 pm
Okay! It's ready for testing.

http://letsplaying.com/GoodSplitsApp.zip

A few notes:
- "Save Live Splits" is just the same as Save right now.
- The image directory in settings does not work yet. Images will be loaded from the same directory as the splits file. (Although you can use subdirectories.)
- The "best_time" in the splits files is actually a junk field. I saw it in a JSON file I got but I'm not sure what that is used for. "best_segment" is the best split time ever, and "time" is the time displayed in the split column when running, so what is "best_time"? Unless "best_time" is the time displayed and "time" is supposed to be the time of the last run?

I've only ever seen splits apps used and never used one, so I've guessed a lot of UI interaction and stuff. Any comments on that aspect would be greatly appreciated.
Edit history:
CaseyCor: 2015-09-08 11:01:22 am
Okay! It's ready for testing.

http://letsplaying.com/GoodSplitsApp.zip

A few notes:
- "Save Live Splits" is just the same as Save right now.
- The image directory in settings does not work yet. Images will be loaded from the same directory as the splits file. (Although you can use subdirectories.)
- The "best_time" in the splits files is actually a junk field. I saw it in a JSON file I got but I'm not sure what that is used for. "best_segment" is the best split time ever, and "time" is the time displayed in the split column when running, so what is "best_time"? Unless "best_time" is the time displayed and "time" is supposed to be the time of the last run?

I've only ever seen splits apps used and never used one, so I've guessed a lot of UI interaction and stuff. Any comments on that aspect would be greatly appreciated.

AH! Finally, a timer that actually works! Thank you. I just set up splits for Donkey Kong Land 3 and gave it a test. The only issue I'm having is the program has to be active to receive input, meaning users who are playing on PC will have to click away from their game to start the timer/split, then navigate back to their game. That's a lot of wasted time.

One thing I would like to see is auto saving after a reset. Most other timers either automatically save when the reset hotkey is used, or prompts the user to save. "It seems you have achieved a new personal best run. Would you like to save?" or "It seems you beat one or more of your best segment times. Would you like to save?"

I foresee myself forgetting to manually save the splits file after a good run and losing my times, just because I'm used to the save on reset feature. Custom hotkeys would be nice as well, but not that important. Control over the font size is pretty important IMO.

Again, thank you for putting together this program. I just ended my early morning stream in frustration due to fighting with llanfair during a really good run. Llanfair refuses to save times or any preferences for my splits (hotkey bindings, colors, component preferences, even times). The run title, goal, and  segment info is saved, but nothing else. On top of that, the timer just doesn't work most of the time. I start it, the timer reads 0 until I right click on the window, which makes it jump to a larger (but still inaccurate) time. Restarting my MacBook seems to be the only way to fix it, which isn't really a good thing to do during a stream.

If this split program can be manipulated while it runs in the background, then it will easily be the best timer on Mac.
Edit history:
revenantkioku: 2015-09-08 09:14:19 pm
revenantkioku: 2015-09-08 09:12:32 pm
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I've implemented a global hotkey for hitting splits. F6 currently. (This is inconsistent with space to split in-app, but global single-key non-funciton hotkeys are a pretty bad idea.) It is editable in settings, however.

I'm not too sure I understand the resetting thing entirely. Say I reset mid-run. Would it save any new best or ignore them? Is this a setting?

Custom fonts will be coming, but it is low priority at the moment.

I'm going to mess with the reset/save thing for a while, look into getting "Open Recent" working and then should have 1.0.1 ready to go.
Edit history:
CaseyCor: 2015-09-09 09:55:57 am
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I've implemented a global hotkey for hitting splits. F6 currently. (This is inconsistent with space to split in-app, but global single-key non-funciton hotkeys are a pretty bad idea.) It is editable in settings, however.

I'm not too sure I understand the resetting thing entirely. Say I reset mid-run. Would it save any new best or ignore them? Is this a setting?

Custom fonts will be coming, but it is low priority at the moment.

I'm going to mess with the reset/save thing for a while, look into getting "Open Recent" working and then should have 1.0.1 ready to go.

Very happy to see a good splits timer in the works. Thank you for sharing, and taking my feedback to heart.

OK, about the saving runs on reset feature. When resetting during a run, I would like to see a prompt appear that allows me to quickly save the times for the segments that were completed, if the times were better than my previous personal best run. The save would only modify the segments that were completed, and ignore those that were not used due to resetting mid-run. The prompt could read:

"It seems you have beat one or more of your previous best segment times. Would you like to save this information?" Yes - No

Selecting yes would update the segments with the new best times, and leave the segments in which the time was not improved on alone, and then reset the timer for another run. This is a quick and easy way to start another run and keep accurate/up to date splits data. Starting a new run from a reset quickly is important for stream viewers, and benefits the player when performing well. If I'm motivated to do attempts and playing well, I don't want any involuntary down time. Keep the momentum going, stay in the groove (insert more cheesy motivational phrases here). It's better for stream viewers too. Any lull in the action can and will lead to viewers jumping ship.

Example:
Best Overall Segment Times-
Segment 1 - 01:13
Segment 2 - 01:45
Segment 3- 02:17
Segment 4 - 02:49

The runner starts a new run, and resets during Segment 4. The segment times are as follows

Segment 1 - 01:09
Segment 2 - 01: 39
Segment 3 - 02: 19
Segment 4 - Incomplete

The runner has achieved a new best segment time in both Segment 1 and and Segment 2, so he/she is prompted to save the new times. Segment 3's timer data is left unmodified, because the runner did not beat the previously saved time. Segment 4 is left alone as well, due to the run reset.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I would like to see the space bar (or a hotkey defined by the user) be used to start the timer and move to next split, even when GoodSplits is not the active window. The space bar is the easiest way to split during a run due to it's size and location on the keyboard. In my current situation, I am running Donkey Kong Land 3 via emulator, playing with a Classic Controller Pro. I stream on a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and only use one monitor, the built in keyboard and trackpad. The Spaces feature of OS X (multiple desktops) makes streaming, reading chat, playing on emulator, and running a timer totally doable, assuming the timer can accept inputs when it is not the active window. Using F6 will get the job done, but it's not nearly as easy as the space bar when the player is using a controller. Quickly reaching for my keyboard from my controller and hitting the tiny F6 key on the MacBook Pro without wasting time is a difficult task.

I sound like a whiney jerk right now, haha. I don't expect the app to be perfectly suited for my needs. I'm just trying to provide some real-life usage scenarios for you, considering you mentioned you have never used a splits timer yourself. Please let me know if I am coming off as an elitist/entitled jerk, and I will gladly shut up thumbsup

To avoid issues with keyboard inputs overlapping,  you could implement a disable hotkeys function. This could be a button on the top of the main window, or stored in the right-click menu. (What is the technical term for the list of functions that appears when the user right-clicks?). This way the user can set up custom hotkeys for all of the split commands (start/split, skip split, pause, reset, etc..), and then turn them off temporarily between runs.

Another way of handling this could be to lock the input to a specific 'Space" in OS X. GoodSplits would only accept input when the desktop it resides on is active. The user would have to keep their timer on the same Desktop Space as their game, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't do that already. After/between runs, the user would switch to a different Desktop Space (where the streaming software is displayed, internet browser, etc..), which disables the hotkeys. The user can use the keyboard to type in chat, make changes to his/her stream layouts, browse the internet or anything else without invoking commands in GoodSplits, because the desktop that holds GoodSplits is not active.

Custom Hotkeys would make the app work well for people who speedrun games on the same computer as the timer, as well as on a separate devices (consoles, or a separate computer). Allowing custom hotkeys would enable players to use a comfortable layout for their PC game of choice, and control GoodSplits with the keys or key-combinations not needed for the game.

Additional timer components such as "Sum of Best Segments", "Best Possible Time", "Average Run Time", and a line graph that displays the time loss/gain during the current run would be great to have. These are all features from the popular Windows splits timers. This info is displayed in the footer of the main window in wSplit/LiveSplit. Poorly written descriptions of these functions are below.

Sum of Best Segments: Best time for each segment across ALL saved runs, added up to show the potential total run time. This helps runners compare their times to others, and gives them clear goals to set for themselves.

Best Possible Time: The amount of time elapsed in the current run, plus the best segment times for the segments that have yet to happen. This displays the best possible time for the run currently taking place, which tells the viewer/runner if he or she is on a good pace for a new Personal Best or World Record. This is very useful during long runs. Runners can use the BPT to decide if it's worth continuing the run, or if their time would be better spent resetting.

Another feature I was thinking about last night is a "History" page, which displays all of the run attempts saved to the active split. Date and time, attempt number, time in that attempt, average segment time, best segment time, and deltas displayed. A line graph would be helpful as well. Line graph is a feature that gets a lot of use in LiveSplit, as far as I have seen anyway. A spreadsheet that stores this info would be very useful.

Custom fonts isn't very important, but changing font size is, IMO. I couldn't find anywhere to change the font size from within the program, but I very well could have just overlooked it. Changing font size is important for streaming. Customizing the size of the timer so the user can fit it into their stream layout is necessary. A related feature to this is "Auto-Rezise", a very useful feature from the Llanfair timer. This automatically resizes the timer window to best fit your chosen settings. The user defines the amount of segments on display at once and different timer components. After that is finished, the window is automatically resized to best display that info. Makes it a lot easier to fit the timer into a stream and keep it readable without stretching the window capture, which results in a blurry image.

You could implement this by allowing the user to define how many segments are shown on screen at once, and if the last segment should or should not always be visible. After this is done and a font size for the text and timer are chosen, the user can click on the Auto-Resize button. Currently, GoodSplits is re-sizeable by grabbing the window border, but even the smallest size is quite big. I would like to have the window display the segments in groups of 5, with the final segment always on display in the footer. As the segments are completed, the window scrolls downwards to display the upcoming segments. Your app already scrolls down as the segments are completed, which is perfect. Now all we need is the ability to limit the amount of segments on display at one time.

There are tons of other features from wSplit/LiveSplit and more that would be great, such as race implementation, custom text embeds (that aren't splits. Used for displaying the WR time, info about the run etc...), embedding a video feed/browser source (youtube video of the world record, so viewers can compare), but none of those are really necessary IMO. The important features are controlling GoodSpilts while it is NOT the active window, changing font size, and the Sum of Best Segments component. These 3 things are immensely useful for active runners.

I'm looking forward to 1.0.1! I'm going to do some runs today with 1.0, which has me really excited. Finally, no more timer problems killing my runs! So happy. Now the only reason for me to reset is because I'm playing poorly, haha. I'm sorry if I rambled on and overloaded you with work. I'm just excited about having a proper split tracking utility on Mac. I feel like a wrote a short thesis paper here.
Okay, I'm not entirely understanding this.

There are two values per split. The "best split time" and the time in the run which the split was hit.

If you reset and happened to get a new "best split time" you would want that saved. But the overall time in the split would not be updated, right?

So when would that be saved? You completed a run, but it's not a PB. You want the better splits saved, but not the overall times, right? Are there options for "Save best split times" and "Save overall times"?
Edit history:
dunnius: 2015-09-10 03:37:55 am
Intruding N313 and F014
I should again mention that my Time Split Tracker has a fully functioning core (written in c++, but is easy to integrate in) that can be used easily in a Mac program by having someone write the interface.  I cannot work on a Mac port anymore, and I was hoping that someone would help by making a port of my Windows version.
Edit history:
revenantkioku: 2015-09-10 05:53:16 am
I can look at that. I checked the thread but I didn't see a link for your code. Can you hook me up?
Intruding N313 and F014
I will PM you later on.
Any update on GoodSplits? Was just about to start a Star Fox 2 stream, figured I'd look and see if there was a new version. Still digging on the app, it's solved a lot of problems for me! Thanks again.