--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2010-03-14 04:37:28 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Somepartsareme:
Gah. I do remember that it was an amazing and dark game. I remember it involved a 2d shadow that would follow you around. The main character was a girl, and at the beginning there might have been something to do with a festival, but I'm not positive. I would kill to remember the name of this game, and if anyone could help me, I would appreciate it like bananas.

EDIT: And I just remembered it was on the gamecube.

Gosh, I would guess Okage: Shadow King, but the main character is a dude.

Edit: oh, just saw your edit, so definitely not that game. Can you explain any of the actual gameplay?

Edit #2:
Some Gamecube games that have female main characters:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Darkened Skye
Lost Kingdoms (also check out the sequel maybe)
Beyond Good & Evil

That's all I got, unless you can remember how you actually played the game. That would be very helpful.
The Artsy Ghost spoke passionately about art!
Oh my land, that is the game! You can tell I remember next to nothing about it. xD Thank you so much! I really don't know what I was thinking when I said the main character was a girl, but I could have sworn it was a Gamecube game.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Somepartsareme:
Oh my land, that is the game! You can tell I remember next to nothing about it. xD Thank you so much! I really don't know what I was thinking when I said the main character was a girl, but I could have sworn it was a Gamecube game.

It's actually one of the most memorable games I have yet to play. I rented it once and have wanted to buy it ever since. Another game with great atmosphere is Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. Something about them just appeals to me.
I love this thread, so helpful.

About 1992 or so I played an arcade game that, from memory, allowed you to travel all over the world. Gameplay involved sucking things up in a vacuum cleaner and shooting them at other enemies. I remember what seemed like a plant headed enemy, sort of like a venus flytrap. Ring any bells?
Waiting hurts my soul...
I updated the first post. I noticed a few people aren't coming back to say if the game suggested was correct. Also, there are quite a few games that haven't been figured out.

@ExplodingCabbage:
Only games I can think of that haven't been mentioned are:
and Diabolika, which is more of a puzzle game and I didn't notice any screens with forests. I also don't really see either one being shown to kids, so I'm not sure. Could have been some freeware or shareware game.

@Pendrokar:
First thing that came to mind was Trine, but that's extremely new.

Probably going to need more info from you guys... really any little detail might help. Like Pendrokar, you say third-person perspective, but do you mean over the shoulder camera in 3D, isometric top down, or side-scrolling?

Quote from chalmo:
I love this thread, so helpful.

About 1992 or so I played an arcade game that, from memory, allowed you to travel all over the world. Gameplay involved sucking things up in a vacuum cleaner and shooting them at other enemies. I remember what seemed like a plant headed enemy, sort of like a venus flytrap. Ring any bells?

Tumblepop? Here's a video:
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Tumblepop? Here's a video:

That's it! Thanks mate.
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Probably going to need more info from you guys... really any little detail might help. Like Pendrokar, you say third-person perspective, but do you mean over the shoulder camera in 3D, isometric top down, or side-scrolling?

Well I thought almost any game is in 3D recent 10 years. Oh wait I'm incorrect about the camera. The camera was not over the characters shoulder but viewed from a stationary camera.  Smiley
Quote from Baron Dante:
Hmm, I went through Puzzle Games, released for PC in Europe during 1995-97 and found only 3 games, 2 of which has no images to see, but one was 3D game (According to Wikipedia), the other was 3D game with 2D graphics (WTF?) and the third one had a dog -.-

Wow, I totally forgot I posted in this thread until I spotted the thread title again just now (I don't visit Gaming Discussion very often). Sorry for not replying.

Anyway, I seem to remember the computer being very slow compared to the one I had at home (which I played Command & Conquer on), so it was probably old (unsurprising since it was a school computer). So it's likely the game was old as well, so maybe widen your search to any PC puzzle games post 1990? Where'd you find this list anyway?

Quote from chalmo:
This is a long shot, but it's not Heroes of Might and Magic, is it? Some of the things you mentioned don't seem to fit with HoMM though. The original was released in 95.

Nah, those graphics are MUCH more sophisticated than the game I'm remembering. Thanks for the suggestion though.
-_-"
Thanks Pendrokar Smiley
Here, I have a doozy for you.
PC game. It's /old/. I want to say at, latest, it was released in 95 or 96. I think I played it on the 486, but it might have been on the Win95 computer we had.
Now, here's the sad part. I only remember a few things. You played as a minorly anthropomorphized feline. eg, you were a cat of some sort, but you stood on your hind legs. Your attack was a swipe with your claws, I think. It was an action game/platformer. I ... remember that the second level, I think, was ... underground? I think I recall a section that was really hard and was platforming up. Might have had autoscroll or falling stuff at you. And I think I remember something about the story, in that you were some sort of nobility, and you or your family got deposed?
And, before anyone says it, it wasn't Claw.

yeah, this is stupidly vague and I have little hope. But this game has been plaguing me, randomly, every few years. Blergh.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from rekenner:
Here, I have a doozy for you.
PC game. It's /old/. I want to say at, latest, it was released in 95 or 96. I think I played it on the 486, but it might have been on the Win95 computer we had.
Now, here's the sad part. I only remember a few things. You played as a minorly anthropomorphized feline. eg, you were a cat of some sort, but you stood on your hind legs. Your attack was a swipe with your claws, I think. It was an action game/platformer. I ... remember that the second level, I think, was ... underground? I think I recall a section that was really hard and was platforming up. Might have had autoscroll or falling stuff at you. And I think I remember something about the story, in that you were some sort of nobility, and you or your family got deposed?
And, before anyone says it, it wasn't Claw.

yeah, this is stupidly vague and I have little hope. But this game has been plaguing me, randomly, every few years. Blergh.

2D or 3D? Side scrolling? Do you remember the colors of the main character? I haven't had much luck finding many games that fit the description very well. How good were the graphics? Would you say VGA, EGA, hi-res, low-res? Do you remember the kind of cat: lion, tiger, domestic cat? This would be helpful information you should be able to recall I hope.
destroy them with lazers
Cat Platformers I can think of: Alleys Cats, Felix the Cat, Cheetahmen, Cheetahmen II, Nori Kuro Cat.
@_@
This is one I've been wondering about for a little while but haven't had any success.

It was for the PC in the mid-to-late-90's (not sure if that was its release date, but that's when I played it). Its story was you were in control of this boy who was in a nightmare. It began with some scene where he was in a house by himself and everything became scary and out to get him. When you started the actual game you were in this overworld sort of area where you could pick which "dream" you wanted to enter. I remember it being pretty desolate, the worlds were arranged in a circle and I think there was just like the sound of wind playing. Each world was just designated by a symbol you walked up to. One of the levels I remember in particular you could also go to by sitting in a dentist's chair. I also think there was one where you were sucked down by a toilet and then there was a scene of you going through the pipes. And one where you were on this medical bed, and there was an auto-scrolling section where you had to raise or lower the bed to avoid things. As far as I can remember it was a platformer-type game. Also at any point in time you could go back to the main "selection" area but to do so a scene of a clock would come up and would show time advancing by a few hours. Something about to beat the game correctly you were supposed to beat each of the worlds before a certain time on that clock. Like that time to get everything done by was when your parents came home? Think it has sort of like Nightmare Before Christmas style graphics.

Not everything may be correct, but I think most of it is close.
Heavy Metal Powered
Quote from NoiseCrash:
This is one I've been wondering about for a little while but haven't had any success.

It was for the PC in the mid-to-late-90's (not sure if that was its release date, but that's when I played it). Its story was you were in control of this boy who was in a nightmare. It began with some scene where he was in a house by himself and everything became scary and out to get him. When you started the actual game you were in this overworld sort of area where you could pick which "dream" you wanted to enter. I remember it being pretty desolate, the worlds were arranged in a circle and I think there was just like the sound of wind playing. Each world was just designated by a symbol you walked up to. One of the levels I remember in particular you could also go to by sitting in a dentist's chair. I also think there was one where you were sucked down by a toilet and then there was a scene of you going through the pipes. And one where you were on this medical bed, and there was an auto-scrolling section where you had to raise or lower the bed to avoid things. As far as I can remember it was a platformer-type game. Also at any point in time you could go back to the main "selection" area but to do so a scene of a clock would come up and would show time advancing by a few hours. Something about to beat the game correctly you were supposed to beat each of the worlds before a certain time on that clock. Like that time to get everything done by was when your parents came home? Think it has sort of like Nightmare Before Christmas style graphics.

Not everything may be correct, but I think most of it is close.

This sounds a lot like Nightmare Ned
@_@
Quote from Warepire:
This sounds a lot like Nightmare Ned

Yep, that appears to be it. You'd think with "Nightmare" in the name I'd have found it myself sooner. Thanks.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Pendrokar:
Quote from ZenicReverie:

Well I thought almost any game is in 3D recent 10 years. Oh wait I'm incorrect about the camera. The camera was not over the characters shoulder but viewed from a stationary camera.  Smiley

I just happened across the story of this game while updating my wishlist. The introductions to the characters seems to match pretty well, but the background story is off. Is it Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone?
Quote from ZenicReverie:
but the background story is off.

Why do you say that?
"...Ygorl and his slaad army arrive to take the Silver Sword of Gith from Cireka, which Ygorl views as a powerful artifact..."
"...The two armies clash, with our three heroes fighting in the middle to ensure that numerous wood elves manage to flee..."
"...Ygorl arrives at this moment to get revenge on Khelben(Human), sitting astride the mighty red dragon found at the first battle site..."

=> It of course is the game I was looking for. Thanks!
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Pendrokar:
Quote from ZenicReverie:
but the background story is off.

Why do you say that?
"...Ygorl and his slaad army arrive to take the Silver Sword of Gith from Cireka, which Ygorl views as a powerful artifact..."
"...The two armies clash, with our three heroes fighting in the middle to ensure that numerous wood elves manage to flee..."
"...Ygorl arrives at this moment to get revenge on Khelben(Human), sitting astride the mighty red dragon found at the first battle site..."

=> It of course is the game I was looking for. Thanks!

because there's no princess  Tongue Wink
Exoray
Quote from ZenicReverie:
because there's no princess  Tongue Wink

She's in another castle.
there was a time where my cousin and I were playing a game on the super nintendo in 1994-95
the only thing I can recall is that you fight against a scientist. this scientist would turn into a giant fly-monster-thing, if you could hurt him enough, with a gaint tail which he could throw/leap forward ( don't know the exact expression).
I would ask him but he past away last autumn.

any help would be appreciated.
Highly Evolved
Baxter Stockman from TMNT IV:  Turtles in Time?
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Darkwing Duck:
Baxter Stockman from TMNT IV:  Turtles in Time?

I don't think he turns into the fly on-screen. Also, no giant tail.

Can you describe the gameplay? 2D side-scrolling? top-down perspective? beat'em up style or adventure game? do you remember the weapons you used, or just fists? Colors of the characters?
Edit history:
Astra: 2010-04-10 04:29:09 am
unfortunately I don't remember anything...
2D sidescrolling...maybe, it could allso be a a beat'em up game.
no turtles in time though, but good guess Grin

I'm sure this game had no pseudo 3d environments and that it was definitly not a kids game.
the characters scared the s+#t out of me back then.

and the game was in english, maybe an UK import sort of (I live in Germany).

I think this might be in vain, 'cause I don't remember anything.

thx for the help tho *thumbs up*

I found it: X-Kaliber 2097

I searched in the Wiki SNES game list
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Astra:

I hope you started from the bottom up Grin
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Quote from Astra:

I hope you started from the bottom up Grin

just the opposite way Wink
but it didn't take me long, 30 min maybe.

I'm sure this is the game I was searching for, but it looks so different than the pictures I remember.