--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
romscout: 2015-02-17 12:43:18 pm
romscout: 2015-02-11 09:33:36 pm
that Metroidvania guy
The hotel has been finalized! It is the Crowne Plaza St. Paul Riverfront (to be rebranded as the InterContinental before we stay there). Go here for the full announcement:
https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/sgdq_2015_hotel_final_choice_to_be_made_by_friday_feb_13_26.html

--------------------------------------------------

As previously mentioned in the timeline thread, a final decision with the hotels is scheduled to be made by Friday, February 13. We have been talking to the hotels continuously since visiting last week and feel that there will be a tough decision involved. I will post the positives and negatives that we noticed for each potential venue, as well as prices, pictures, and general considerations (such as food options). We welcome community feedback at this time, although there will not be any sort of a "vote" on where we go; some issues (especially regarding internet) may force our decision, but we would like to help with community concerns on each location, regardless of where we end up being.

CROWNE PLAZA (to be rebranded as InterContinental)

• Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Ss8T3

• Room price: $119/night (+13.625% tax, so about $135.21 total and divisible for up to 4 people)

• Juice, coffee, and breakfast pastries are provided every morning of the marathon. You can also go to the restaurant's regular breakfast area and pay for a full meal if you prefer.

• $12/day parking (discounted from the usual $18/day, which makes it lower than any other parking in downtown St. Paul; the lot is not owned by the hotel and they expect it to get good business anyway in the summer, so it was fortunate to even go that low)

• Guaranteed to have renovated rooms for everyone who books, which includes two queen size beds, a nice bathroom, and a mini fridge in every standard room. Microwaves are not included in the sleeping rooms, but will be provided in a hospitality area on the conference floor.

• Immediate restaurants (within 1 block) are mostly focused on the business district, so several fast food places close before 7 pm. To mitigate this problem, we plan to work with the St. Paul convention bureau and alert businesses that there will be a 24 hour event with around 1000 people to encourage them to stay open later and on weekends during our time there. We unfortunately cannot guarantee anything yet and will only be able to update the status of this in May or June when we are closer to the marathon starting.

• There are many other restaurants (tending not to be fast food style) that are open until 11 pm and within 3 blocks. There is also a dining district on 7th Street, which is very close to the hotel (less than 10 minutes walking).

• For midnight until 6 am, options will be limited to a 24 hour diner that is 3 blocks away, delivery from a 24 hour pizza chain called American Pie, and potentially late night options provided by the hotel that we are still working on (don't worry, this time we're making sure they take credit card).

• Skyways connect most of the downtown area, so you do not have to deal with traffic or weather when walking to places.

• Regular airport shuttles will be set up by GDQ for attendees on the major travel days, and people coming in on other days will have to set scheduled ones in advance with us if they want one. A thread will be made to work on this.

• The light rail station is right at the hotel, and it takes about 20 minutes to go to downtown Minneapolis for other restaurants or fun activities. This is incredibly cheap to ride ($2.25 during rush hours, $1.75 at all other times, in addition to other purchasing options for events/all-day), and there are also plenty of nice places to go just in the downtown St. Paul area.

• Internet was not thought to be a big issue until we actually visited the hotels. Something to keep in mind is that we will be contractually guaranteed a private line with the speeds we need, which is not something we have been able to set up with the Ramada yet.

• We will be in the bottom floor of the hotel for the conference space; the cell reception seems to check out well with most carriers, although Sprint and T-Mobile are mediocre (which means that you would have to use 3G for good reception, which is sufficient for texts and calls at least). From our AT&T and Verizon phones, we were able to directly verify that we could get LTE with 2/3 bars, which is good enough for phone calls and checking most standard online apps regularly.

• Bottom line: The renovated rooms are nice, we will have an entire floor with way more than enough conference space to ourselves (outside of one small banquet room that won't matter), and the internet situation is much safer compared to the Ramada. The extra conference space and high ceilings also allow us to toy around with more layout options that might fit the community's needs better (such as easier inclusion of a stage or a side area for more content to be streamed during setup times). The major downside is having to pay for parking and having less affordable food options throughout the night, although we can attempt to mitigate that problem. Even in its current state, accessibility to food is still much better than last AGDQ.

RAMADA

• Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Xz3ym

• Room price: $109/night (+14.275% tax, so about $124.56 total and divisible for up to 4 people)

• Essentially the same free breakfast options, and you can get the full breakfast buffet if you pay.

• Concessions will be made available on the conference room floor.

• Hospitality areas where you can bring in your own food are not allowed in the conference rooms, so we will need to have extra suites on the conference floor specifically designed for this where people can go. Essentially, what this means is that we have less space to work with for planning hospitality areas.

• Free parking

• The airport is only 2 miles away, and there are regular shuttles every half hour. There will be absolutely no issues getting to and from the airport.

• Standard rooms have two double beds and incredibly small bathrooms (see pic). Fridges are not standard in every room but can be requested at no additional charge. Microwaves are also not standard, but there is one that can be used at the hotel's grab n go station if your room does not include one. It's also worth noting that the rooms are a little dated compared to the Crowne, as it was formerly a motel that was renovated.

• There are regular shuttles every hour (and we are working to make it more often) to the Mall of America, which has tons of shopping and food options. The Mall is open until 9:30 PM most nights, and until 7:00 pm on Sunday. We will try to work with Bloomington's convention bureau to make things stay open later, although it will likely be significantly more difficult to accomplish for the Mall. There is also a Wal Mart in the area that we are trying to have some shuttles set up for in case people want groceries.

• Late night options from midnight to 6 am are primarily an IHOP on the other side of the Mall, delivery from a local pizza chain called American Pie, and a grab n go station at the hotel that is open 24 hours (see pic).

• The Mall is within comfortable walking distance in the summer even if shuttles are being overcrowded, and there is a light rail station there so you can go to downtown Minneapolis.

• The main issue with this hotel at the moment is that we have to go through an outside company to install sufficient internet for our needs, and it is unclear whether this will be done in time for the event or if we will have support available 24 hours in the event that something goes wrong. The exact cost of the internet is also uncertain at this time. We absolutely need these issues cleared up before we can sign with this hotel, and have been working hard to do so.

• We could not shoot pictures of the marathon room because there was an event going on, but it is close to the same amount of floor space as the AGDQ room but with lower ceilings (see the casual room pic for an idea of how high the ceilings are). There is less space than the Crowne, but we expect it to be cozy and sufficient for our expected amount of attendees (even if it is close to AGDQ's attendance).

• The conference rooms are on the 2nd floor in this hotel. There are several staircases scattered throughout the hotel, but only one standard elevator and another freight elevator near the lobby. Cell service is slightly better than the bottom floor of the Crowne, with 3-4 bars on LTE.

• Bottom line: The hotel is a little cheaper and very close to the airport, as well as a GIGANTIC mall (a fun game to play there is finding all of the Caribou Coffee locations) with not only great shopping and food choices, but also an amusement park and arcade. The parking is free and late night eating options seem to be a little more affordable although equally limited from midnight until 6 am. The grab n go station at the hotel is very convenient. The major downsides are that the bathrooms might be uncomfortably small for groups of four, and the internet situation is something that will take time to resolve. While we can put off signing for a little bit if people are largely in favor of the Ramada otherwise, we can't hold back for too long and cannot possibly choose it if a clear solution is not in sight. A minor downside is less conference space and having to use suites for the hospitality rooms, but that is not a very big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Please leave questions or feedback! We look to make a decision soon, but of course want to make sure the community's concerns are addressed before finalizing anything.
Thread title:  
< ^ > < ^ >
Although it's extremely likely I won't be attending, looks like a nice location. Sounds like TONS of space, wow. Tongue
words on words on words
Crowne definitely looks like it is the higher quality option, but Ramada is probably the more practical choice with free parking, easy food and mall access and constant shuttles. Hopefully the internet situation gets resolved quickly!
Fucking Weeaboo
I think as long as you can get the internet option resolved, the Ramada still sounds like a better place to go, especially the ease of getting to/from the airport and having the MoA right next door.
#FailFish
I'll be bringing my wife and kids, and they won't really be attending much of SGDQ - more of just a summer vacation for them.  The easy mall access at the Ramada makes it certainly our preference.  I'm sure there are others who will be in this boat as well.

But that internet thing is obviously a huge deal.  If that can't be resolved, it seems like there's only one real choice here.
You said it in the post, but as a Minnesotan who will be attending, the Ramada is clearly the better choice. With the mall being so close, free parking, etc. Hopefully the internet issue gets fixed because imo the Ramada is easier to access for everyone. Smiley
Just a heads up. My group is meeting with the Ramada and an ISP this afternoon. We may soon have a remedy for the internet situation.

thank you
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2015-02-12 11:29:11 am
Cool Matty: 2015-02-12 11:28:58 am
Cool Matty: 2015-02-12 11:25:04 am
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
It should be emphasized that once the mall closes, Ramada's options for food are very slim. In fact, after looking around, I think there's actually more options within 0.5 miles of the Crowne than there are within 1.5 miles of the Ramada. There's several bar/grills, a diner, Domino's Pizza, a burger joint, etc all open to 1-3AM.

Edit: Apparently the mall itself is further away from Ramada than all of Crowne's main food options, via walking. I just noticed that. Huh.
I'm working with 2DCon at the Ramada to bring in fiber internet. We have half a dozen potential vendors able to reach it. Right now its just a matter of getting best possible connection for the $. we're meeting today with a provider who may be able to get us an affordable 100Mbps up/down fiber connection, very low latency.  Look forward to seeing you all in the MN area ! -SXyGeeK
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Cool Matty:
It should be emphasized that once the mall closes, Ramada's options for food are very slim. In fact, after looking around, I think there's actually more options within 0.5 miles of the Crowne than there are within 1.5 miles of the Ramada. There's several bar/grills, a diner, Domino's Pizza, a burger joint, etc all open to 1-3AM.

Edit: Apparently the mall itself is further away from Ramada than all of Crowne's main food options, via walking. I just noticed that. Huh.

Yeah, but there's a ton of variety during times when it's open, plus there's tons of other things to do besides food/marathon.
All the things
I honestly feel like the Crowne will provide a better marathon experience, just looking at the pictures and going over the info. The paid parking is a shame, as is the generally higher room rate, but the conference spaces at the Ramada seem... cramped? The extra $2.50 a night seems reasonable for a mini-fridge and not closet-sized bathrooms. As far as the parking concerns go, there may be other cheaper options for long-term parking on the outskirts and using light rail or other public transit in. It's not as convenient as having a car around all the time, but it sounds like a car may not be necessary to get to food or otherwise.
We are looking at other parking lot options for Crowne but don't have anything to announce yet.
Space for Rent
Quote from Omnigamer:
I honestly feel like the Crowne will provide a better marathon experience, just looking at the pictures and going over the info. The paid parking is a shame, as is the generally higher room rate, but the conference spaces at the Ramada seem... cramped? The extra $2.50 a night seems reasonable for a mini-fridge and not closet-sized bathrooms. As far as the parking concerns go, there may be other cheaper options for long-term parking on the outskirts and using light rail or other public transit in. It's not as convenient as having a car around all the time, but it sounds like a car may not be necessary to get to food or otherwise.

This was generally how I felt.  Especially since there seems to be the air of uncertainty around the Internet situation for the Ramada, but I suppose what can be done about that remains to be seen.
Edit history:
jundis: 2015-02-12 03:31:34 pm
I would just like to provide my input on the Ramada.

I worked as convention staff for a small local anime convention at that hotel a few years back, and it is not the greatest.

The staff were alright, but slow to respond to requests of changing garbages and refilling water stations, and overall didn't really WOW anyone.

The hotel rooms are ok, but the bathrooms are tiny and really inconvenient for if you have 4-5 people in the room.

Not sure how big the event will be, but the event rooms definitely got cramped with our 1,000 person attendance, and the hallways are super small and caused a lot of foot traffic issues.

The only benefit the Ramada has over the Crowne is that it is located right next to the Mall of America, the airport, and the light rail. Outside of that, the only local thing I know of that's open late is iHop, but there may have been something new to move in recently.

Never had any problems when I've stayed at the Crown, but I've never done any event there yet.
The reason there's more walking distance between the Ramada and the nearest food is because the MoA's lot by itself + the size of the mall is something like a mile across.

The Crowne is definitely the better hotel, but both locations are next to the light rail so honestly, there's not really much of a problem accessing anything until really late at night. The parking situation is pretty annoying though and obviously the Ramada's better there. $12/day for parking is pretty good though. Typically lots in the area charge $15 just for event parking for a few hours with $4/3 hours being fairly standard as well (that was what I paid when I was at the Amsterdam just around the corner from the Crowne the other day).

There's definitely more bars and stuff near the Crowne though. I deliver all along West 7th St. and it's all easy to access, though that particular road is kind of nasty on traffic.

So I guess it all comes down to ease of access to the airport vs being a bit more expensive.

And hey, if people really want to go to MoA anyway, you can just grab the light rail and check it out. The Crowne actually has more stuff around it for stuff like theatrical plays and concerts and such too, which I mentioned in the other hotel thread.
Edit history:
noclip: 2015-02-12 08:07:56 pm
From the hotel visit descriptions and from this (ranked 36th out of 38?) the Crowne/InterContinental does seem like the safer choice, doubly so given the internet situation.
Better internet and bars nearby? Yeah, just pick the Crowne.
Edit history:
thadarkman78: 2015-02-13 06:51:06 am
thadarkman78: 2015-02-13 06:50:50 am
thadarkman78: 2015-02-13 06:49:26 am
I think food was the biggest sticking point when I looked at things a few weeks ago, but if there are enough places open to eating after 5PM and weekends, then I'm in favor of the crowne. Would it be possible to have a list provided by crowne with food options open after 5PM on weekdays and weekends so we can have an idea of what our options are as it stands before talking with local businesses? It's one thing to have food "options", but if they are all the same type of food then it's not really "options".

Like I said in the previous topic, google maps just provided me with a bunch of places that close after businesses close, so I'd like to see what I missed if possible. 

It should be noted (maybe native minneapolans can attest to this) that American Pie as a lot of up and down reviews on yelp, with almost all of the down reviews talking about late night ordering/delivery. Not sure how reliable this place is going to be as a late night option. Also their pizza prices are expensive as hell, $12 for a medium plain pizza.
Gets the cake.
Very excited for either of the hotels, but the crowne looks like the best choice for sure. More expensive (especially for those driving, OUCH!) but overall seems more appropriate for the growth of the GDQ events.
Sounds like the Crowne looks like the better choice, but I'm cool with either.  I can't wait for the announcement!  Smiley
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
After looking through both pictures it would be disappointing if the Ramada was chosen. It seems like the Crowne has nothing but pros in comparison, and I'm sure the extra $10 a night is more than worth going to the bathroom without banging my knees on the door.
Some stuff open later during the week around the Crowne:

Tom Reid's Hockey Pub (Standard American food) - on West 7th right near the XCel Energy Center - open 7 days/week from 11am-2am
Sakura (Japanese, kind of expensive) - right around the corner from the hotel - open for lunch 11:30-2:30, dinner 5-11:00 except on Sunday when they close at 9
Cosetta (Italian, food and bar) - across the street from Tom Reid's - 11-9 for the normal food part, 3-midnight for the bar part, which also has food
Ruam Mit Thai (Thai obviously) - couple of minutes from hotel - 11-9 M-T, 11-10 F/S, open until 8 on Sunday
Hunan Garden (Chinese) near Sakura - restaurant open until 9:30, bar open until 2am
Pazzaluna (Italian) - 4-10/11/12 depending on weekday
Mickey's Diner - up St. Peter St - 24 hours BUT it is very small, is an historical landmark and is usually very packed
Eagle St. Grill (American) - across the street from the XCel - 7 days/week, 11-2am

and then as you go down West 7th you have Burger Moe's (open until 1am), the Downtowner (open until 11pm), Mancini's Char House (open until 11pm), and random bars like Liffey's, Patrick McGovern's, and a few I can't remember. Mancini's is probably a half hour walk but the rest of that stuff is within 15 minutes of the hotel on foot.

So aside from Mickey's, we're lacking in 24 hour stuff but if there's movement on getting people to be open later for us, I don't see a problem on that front at all.

As for American Pie, I've only had it once since it's only down in that one area and that was a very long time ago. It was okay.
Domino's Pizza is also pretty close to Mickey's and is open to 3AM, which is pretty late.
I like the Crowne and i see no real reason to even risk the issues of the Ramada.
I'm cool with both but I'd swing towards crowne