Sad
<- 123 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
that Metroidvania guy
I apologize for taking longer to announce this than planned, but we were continuing to make sure that all attendees could have the best amenities possible at either venue before finalizing anything.

The hotel for SGDQ 2015 will be the Crowne Plaza St. Paul - Riverfront (to be rebranded as the InterContinental by the time we stay there).

The internet issue at the Ramada was resolved (thanks to 2DCon and friends for their big help with that), but ultimately we decided that the newly renovated Crowne would provide a much more enjoyable SGDQ experience. Based on feedback both from this thread and previous feedback threads from other GDQs, it was clear that comfortable rooms and spacious conference areas were of greater importance to the community than the advantages that the Ramada had to offer.

Again, the downsides of the Crowne are still being constantly addressed through our negotiations with other parking lots in the area (to try and reduce the price for people driving in) and our communication with St. Paul's convention bureau (to try and have restaurants stay open later for us). Even as it currently stands, people staying with a group of four will only see an extra $2.50 per night in comparison to the Ramada and an additional $5.50 per night if someone is driving in and the parking cost is split up (which I would recommend as a reasonable solution for parking). Considering the Crowne's benefits and overall better quality in a newly renovated hotel, this is worth the small increase in cost to attendees. Of course, for locals in the immediate Minneapolis/St. Paul area, I would highly recommend using transit to get there and avoid the parking issue entirely.

An additional benefit to the Crowne that we were able to secure is a 10% discount at the hotel's restaurant, which will help anyone who does not want to risk missing a particular run when eating or does not feel like walking anywhere. We are also working to have something similar to the Ramada's grab n go station set up late at night in addition to the hotel's 24/7 room service, and will make sure that it cannot be removed mid-week if it is something they can accommodate. We will be working to finalize these details, among others, before signing the contract and opening up group rate reservations to the public. This means it will possibly be another week or two before you can start reserving rooms.

Of course, if you have any questions or concerns, please go ahead and bring them up here. If there is anything else we need to clear up with the hotel, it is best that we do it now before signing the contract.
Edit history:
Antilles58: 2015-02-17 02:10:05 pm
#FailFish
Are there discounts per room if we call and say we're with SGDQ?  I won't be able to split a room with anyone else since I'll be coming with my family.

Never mind.  I can't read.
twitch.tv/enkaybee
Even though this is a bit farther from my apartment, good choice.  This is a much nicer hotel than the one in Bloomington.
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from Antilles58:
Are there discounts per room if we call and say we're with SGDQ?  I won't be able to split a room with anyone else since I'll be coming with my family.

The $119/night rate is discounted for SGDQ (compared to about $170/night as the standard rate for that time, according to the website right now). When the group rate reservations open up, it can apply to any group.
When can we expect SGDQ badges for buying to start?
that Metroidvania guy
mid-April
Edit history:
Rotorstorm331: 2015-02-17 03:34:14 pm
I never been to Crowne Plaza (soon to to be InterContinental.) before, but this sounds great!  My question is in regards to reserving rooms; is there going to be a thread for that soon?
When do we reserve our rooms at the hotel? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Edit history:
thadarkman78: 2015-02-17 04:40:23 pm
Quote from BoomBoom777:
I never been to Crowne Plaza (soon to to be InterContinental.) before, but this sounds great!  My question is in regards to reserving rooms; is there going to be a thread for that soon?

Yea there will be a thread up or a post at least with the group code/ link.

Quote from JayTheIdiot:
When do we reserve our rooms at the hotel? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Quote from romscout:
We will be working to finalize these details, among others, before signing the contract and opening up group rate reservations to the public. This means it will possibly be another week or two before you can start reserving rooms.
Is there Wi-Fi access in the ballrooms of the InterContinental?
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from charlocharlie:
Is there Wi-Fi access in the ballrooms of the InterContinental?

Even if there is public guest wifi available in the ballrooms we cannot guarantee its usability. Providing 500 people in a single area with wifi is nearly impossible (basic physics, there's not enough wifi bandwidth).

However, cellular signal seems to be adequate in that part of the hotel. We tested Verizon and AT&T, and Sensorly reports that signal for all 4 major carriers should be good enough for calls, twittering, and the like.

That said, private internet will be available for people who actually need it (PC runners using our gaming PCs for example).
Any news on the hotel? It's been almost a month since last post/update.

Thanks!
All the things
What news are you looking for? The hotel was decided quite some time ago... Hence the first post and title change.
I'm aware that the hotel has been decided. I'm wanting to know when we can actually book.
Fucking Weeaboo
Based upon the SGDQ timeline, I'd imagine it would be around this time:

Quote:
Saturday, April 18: SGDQ Game List Announcement; we also aim to have registration, volunteer signups, and prize submissions open around this time, but do not have exact dates yet
I took that as event registration, but I could be wrong. Especially considering that AGDQ hotel and event registration were over a month apart. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks.
Fucking Weeaboo
It takes time to hammer down contracts with hotels. Plus when that occurs, a hotel will set aside a block of rooms (the number and types will be agreed upon in the contract) so the general public can't reserve them.

IOW, don't worry. There's plenty of time to reserve rooms.

(Source: Me, I work in a hotel.)
Do you know what their policy is on the age for people to book rooms? In some states it is 21 and some states it is 18.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from SteveMassey:
Do you know what their policy is on the age for people to book rooms? In some states it is 21 and some states it is 18.

It states on their website the following:

Quote:
Minimum Check-In Age: 21

MN I know allows hotels to do check-in at 18 (we do it, but with an extra deposit), but given this is the cities, it doesn't surprise me that their policy is 21+.
Edit history:
sumichu: 2015-03-15 04:18:46 pm
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
The hotel requires you to be at least 18 to book the room, and at least one person 21+ to be present at check in.  This is something that we have brought to the hotel's attention and are aiming for a discussion next week.  We're hoping to have hotel bookings available within the next week or two.

That means...Please be gentle on Romscout during game submissions.  We need him to be alive so we can get this hotel stuff done. >_>
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_27700132/key-bit-st-pauls-kellogg-boulevard-will-close

Just saw this from the local paper. The Crowne Plaza is on the corner of Kellogg and Wabasha. Not sure how this will affect access to the hotel, but I thought it should be mentioned.
Looking at the actual closure, it doesn't affect too much overall. They've already been starting work on the area and I work right around there on Mondays and it hasn't been too bad. Walking around should still be just fine the detours are short.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Yeah looks like it's just beyond the hotel, and doesn't really seem to affect travel to any of the major places IN the city. Won't be fun during rush hour but hey, what city is?
Edit history:
Denalian: 2015-06-24 10:00:22 pm
Denalian: 2015-06-24 09:59:16 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 09:20:02 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 08:44:13 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 08:42:43 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 02:38:49 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 02:38:42 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 02:38:40 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 02:37:38 pm
Denalian: 2015-03-28 02:35:11 pm
I work  at this hotel  and can answer any of your  hotel specific questions you may have.
Please note these are my personal comments and in no way represents the opinions of  management or ownership of the hotel.

Policy related stuff

Our check in policy require the registered guest to be 21 years or older EDIT: Your group has been given an concession on check in age of 18, however please keep in mind that the hotel staff and central reservation will say that check in age in 21.  Additionally this person must be the one that presents the method of payment at check in (This prevents those under 21 having a "friend " check them in.

The Hotel requires  a  debit/credit card presented at check in (gift cards or prepaid cards are not accepted)  Please know that  in order to check in your card will be authorized for room and tax(~14%) plus $50 for each day that you are staying here.  If you are staying 6 nights your card will need to approve for $300 besides the estimated cost of the room.  Edit  Cash can be paid on departure and the hotel can split the bill up to 4 ways at checkout

In order to comply with MN State fire code a guest room can only contain a maximum of four guest in a room, and due to the size of the room we are unable  provide a  rollaway bed to rooms that already contain two beds.(please plan accordingly bring a blow up mattress)

The Hotel is non smoking-
Anyone found to be smoking any substance within the hotel will suffer an eviction without refund.  (E-CIGs are also not allowed to be smoked within the building)

Quiet Hours-
Quiet hours on the guest room floors are from 11pm-7m  while we know your event is a 24 hour event please respect the other guests staying at the hotel during your stay. In addition, it sounds like your group will have plenty of meeting space to be hanging out in.

Late night food 
- Ill keep updating as things come to my mind.
Most pizza places deliver to 3am. Pizza Luce has other Italian options besides pizza.
Jimmy johns usually delivers to 2am
Mickeys Dinner(4 blocks away) is 24/7
McDonalds located in West St. Paul  5-7 minutes by car  Drive through 24/7
Taco Bell located in West St. Paul  7-10 minutes by car  open till 3am
White Castle located in West St. Paul  10-12 minutes by car
------

Kellogg  road construction -

The construction starts/end across the street.  I would not think that this will impact your time here dramatically, however  IT could  increase the price of cab fare especially if you go out to the bars on west 7th street  your  $6 fare could double.

Light rail
It takes 25 minutes to get to Minneapolis from closet light rail station to the hotel
It will take upwards of an hour to get  MOA and 45 minutes to or from Airport,  please know that you  you would need to switch trains in Minneapolis from the blue line(Minneapolis line) to the green line (st. paul)

Bus 54 will cost you around $2 and takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport and stops with in 2 blocks of the hotel

If you have any hotel specific questions or the surrounding area please  let me know and I will try to help.

ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Quote from Denalian:
Our check in policy is firm and we require the registered guest to be 21 years or older.  Additionally this person must be the one that presents the method of payment at check in (This prevents those under 21 having a "friend " check them in.

Thanks for all the information; it's very helpful!

Per our discussions with the hotel, they will be allowing SGDQ guests 18+ to check in at the hotel.  Having a guest 21+ will not be required.