<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ruling the cosmos!
Guys, I know sniper is slow, I was joking XD

I'm just a casual player of the game atm, but sniper tends to be my favorite solo class, so if I ever did run this, yeah I'd do any% with the merc, but I think a whole other category where you play as a sniper could be fun too. Like, there's gotta be people out there who play categories of other classes, right? Or does everybody just do any%?
I might try to improve my Vanilla% run, just to see if my increased knowledge of the game helps improve the times there. Still gonna stick to Huntress there, of course.
Woah nice run Onin oO !! I have to do go sub 14:30 in Monsoon right now that's right xD ?
Saw with Live Split that Any%, Any% Monsoon offline and Any% Monsoon Online were the "Official" categories, but I don't have any proof, though. It just follow the rule of "Any% / Any% Hardest Diff / Any% Hardest Diff + Trick"

Categories based on what character you're playing would be a mess, in my opinion. Considering the 10 characters, that would do 10*3 categories, 30 categories. The idea isn't bad, but it will just create a huge mess in the runs. But I think running it and posting it can be a great thing to compare the times between characters (excluding the Merc and his 60/90 sec bonus on stage 6), and would help in improving our knowledge of the game.

For the items, I saw you were taking, for the Red Items, Tesla and Thallium. I understand both, since Tesla is a must have for Merc and Thallium has a great DoT, but why not taking Ceremonial Dagger too ? It's pretty useful to avoid far ennemies staying alive, and allows to kill them easily.

For the green items, I was wondering why you don't take the Toxic Centipede ? Against Providence, it is very useful, it provides a DoT that isn't affected by his shield, where Missiles are reduced to 1-2 damage, even if they do a lot when he hasn't his shield.

New runs for the 3 Categories, better times, and finally the framerates stopped having huge drops, I still "only" have 50-55 fps on last stage, but it doesn't really matters :

Any% (13:53 IGT - 14:24 RT) :

Any% Monsoon Offline (17:54 IGT - 18:51 RT):

Any% Monsoon Online (15:31 IGT - 16:59 RT) :

Get over here!
Quote from JudgeTheDude:
Saw with Live Split that Any%, Any% Monsoon offline and Any% Monsoon Online were the "Official" categories, but I don't have any proof, though. It just follow the rule of "Any% / Any% Hardest Diff / Any% Hardest Diff + Trick"

Basically the difference between Offline + Online is simply that everything is easier in Online mode. Less health and damage on bosses mainly.
Quote from JudgeTheDude:
Categories based on what character you're playing would be a mess, in my opinion. Considering the 10 characters, that would do 10*3 categories, 30 categories. The idea isn't bad, but it will just create a huge mess in the runs. But I think running it and posting it can be a great thing to compare the times between characters (excluding the Merc and his 60/90 sec bonus on stage 6), and would help in improving our knowledge of the game.

Actually the Vanilla% run on SDA is with the Huntress.
Quote from JudgeTheDude:
For the items, I saw you were taking, for the Red Items, Tesla and Thallium. I understand both, since Tesla is a must have for Merc and Thallium has a great DoT, but why not taking Ceremonial Dagger too ? It's pretty useful to avoid far ennemies staying alive, and allows to kill them easily.

Ceremonial Dagger has not enough use for the Providence fights. And since Red chests are normally super rare you don't want to waste the ressources the game gives you.
Quote from JudgeTheDude:
For the green items, I was wondering why you don't take the Toxic Centipede ? Against Providence, it is very useful, it provides a DoT that isn't affected by his shield, where Missiles are reduced to 1-2 damage, even if they do a lot when he hasn't his shield.

Toxic Centipede is a required item. Missiles are picked up to kill off random spawns on the maps before you reach Providence.

Hope this helps Smiley
1 Toxic Centipede yes. Stacks are useless, check the wiki.
So let do we want to restrict the number of artefacts which we can use or are we going to allow all of them?
Get over here!
Quote from RandomGuyDoe:
So let do we want to restrict the number of artefacts which we can use or are we going to allow all of them?

Why would you restrict it? Any% uses the fastest way to beat the game and that's currently making use of Command, Spirit and Glass.
Anything else would just be arbitary. Well besides Vanilla% which wouldn't use any artifact to complete the game.
And if you wanted to you could totally do an All Artifacts speedrun. I'd call you mad, but it's a category. :>
I was just clarifying XD
Edit history:
jeez0: 2014-10-18 05:16:01 pm
hello i got a 15:39 solo offline monsoon merc run
i mess up some items n jumps
still really waiting for the patch

looking for anyone to do co-op runs with that still run this game

Yeah about that Monsoon category.
Edit history:
Onin: 2014-10-22 02:12:09 pm
Alright, the big Risk of Rain patch is live. If you haven't downloaded it yet, and you want to keep speedrunning it, DON'T UPDATE.

Here's a list of pros and cons:

+ Two new characters (haven't tried em yet)
+ Some new items, four of which are very useful for speedrunning
+ Much better performance
+ Providence's damage shield stopped working?

- Game window scales to your resolution. This means a high resolution can see ALMOST HALF THE MAP. This also means high resolutions GET ENEMY SPAWNS HALFWAY ACROSS THE MAP. Finding a perfect balance between seeing the portal from miles away, and not getting fucked at every turn by spawns will be a big chore.
- Doordashing got fixed.
- Glass got nerfed. From 500% damage to 200% damage.
- Spirit no longer works at all.
- The game seems to be rebalanced in favour of killing you. Ifrit managed to one-shot my Merc with standard item gearing (first item infusion etc)
- Using attacks while airborne can randomly slow down or even fully halt your momentum. Makes basic map traversal harder.
- They added a third door to Risk of Rain. I don't know why either.

Shadowdraft is investigating options for acquiring a 1.1.2 version of the game for continued running. I'm going to keep an eye on the update, see if they can fix the most glaring issues, and if so, see about routing a renewed speedrun.
Edit history:
ShadowDraft: 2014-10-22 02:19:20 pm
Get over here!
So far no luck with 1.1.2 if anyone has access to the humble or GOG version I'd really appreciate if you could message me here.

Edit: Correction. I purchased the GOG version and the installer is 1.1.2 so we're good.
Y'er no match for me!
I've been thinking about getting into speedrunning of this game for some time, but installed the update as soon as it hit. CHEF is a really fun character to play, but I don't think he can contribute to speedruns as much as I'd like.
Edit history:
Onin: 2014-10-28 07:06:41 pm
Onin: 2014-10-27 10:21:23 am
I'd advise against running 1.2 due to the significant amount of bugs, regardless of further issues with it. The devs are working on a bugfix patch, and we'll have to wait and see what remains once that is done. Won't be able to roll back to 1.2 once 1.2.2 applies, most likely.

Edit:
Now they patched to 1.2.1. Most bugs fixed, artifacts work again, some glitches still work... But they broke experience, you can't level past 3. Suboptimal to say the least.
Y'er no match for me!
They just hotfixed the EXP bug today. Don't know how the EXP broke in the first place. 99 little bugs on the wall...
How would I go about running an older patch?
Edit history:
Onin: 2014-10-31 08:03:57 am
Onin: 2014-10-30 06:31:53 pm
You don't have to.

1.2 introduced a new highly useful glitch, which a random youtube commenter kindly told me. I call it the Bandit sprint: using his Smoke Bomb, resetting it with the Gigantic Amethyst, then using it again will permanently increase your speed. And it stacks. Infinitely.

Combine this with the fact that Providence no longer has a damage shield, and you actually make up for the 1,5 minutes lost on doors you can't dash through. It takes a lot of resetting, but my PB is already down to 11:29 and I won't rest until I get a sub-11 (or close enough).

(Though if you still want to downpatch, pm Shadowdraft.)
Edit history:
Kaysick: 2014-10-31 12:50:33 pm
Y'er no match for me!
Quote from Onin:
You don't have to.

1.2 introduced a new highly useful glitch, which a random youtube commenter kindly told me. I call it the Bandit sprint: using his Smoke Bomb, resetting it with the Gigantic Amethyst, then using it again will permanently increase your speed. And it stacks. Infinitely.

Combine this with the fact that Providence no longer has a damage shield, and you actually make up for the 1,5 minutes lost on doors you can't dash through. It takes a lot of resetting, but my PB is already down to 11:29 and I won't rest until I get a sub-11 (or close enough).

(Though if you still want to downpatch, pm Shadowdraft.)

That seems broken and fun! Time to start getting used to the bandit again... Cheesy
Okay I'm done.

Y'er no match for me!
Grats Onin! You deserve it. Smiley
At least I know some strats now to hopefully get close to your time. I was wondering what you were doing with all those feathers until you got on the last level. You got some really nice teleporter placements.
Is going for the shrines one of the best ways to get use items early on? I've been trying to recreate the Bandit Sprint in casual runs but I never end up getting a use item.
Edit history:
Onin: 2014-11-01 06:24:50 am
Yeah, shrines are both the best and worst, because of the fail chance. The big 50$ boxes can't get use items so I just open up everything else in sight and reset if there's no orange box.

The feathers strat only has a 50% chance of working out since two spawn points are closed down, I got the best of the two, wouldn't have been sub-11 without that <3
I don't think there's enough charact
Great work.
Now to find a way to bypass the 2 doors at the end to save 60+ seconds.
Y'er no match for me!
Is there any sort of leaderboard for the runs? I don't mind creating one as long as I know what exact categories there are. I already keep the Cloudbuilt one up to date and I don't mind giving other people permission to update the leaderboard if we wanted to have one.
Get over here!
No leaderboards afaik.