--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
MatrixTN: 2008-02-29 10:28:18 am
You got a deletion wish?
Got a friend whose birthday also happens to be on the 29th (damn leap years).  Happy to yourself as well.

Edit: Oh, is it the page breaker's birthday too?
Fucking Weeaboo
While I'm not seriously pursuing it, I tried out a low% run (which is 83%) run, mainly to try out the new chair I got for my birthday (built in speakers in the headpiece and volume controls on the right side - kinda nice).  I got 52:06, but had a couple deaths and some other screwups.  I'm thinking a good run would be probably sub-50.  But I don't care too much about doing it.  If anybody else wants to pursue it, then be my guest.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I think I have a good non-TAS power-up Boss Endurance "route"

Whispy Woods: None
Paint Roller: Thunder on 1st painting (luck manipulation)
Mr. Shine & Mr. Bright: Thunder
Kracko: High-Jump
Heavy Mole: High-Jump
Meta-Knight: Sword
King DeDeDe: High-Jump
Nightmare: Star Rod
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:

That's what I use, and I'm sure that the 4:23 run used too (don't remember offhand).
roflolmaomfg
Quote:

for the whispy i use thunder (get it at the beginning of 1-4!) i'm not sure, but i think 9hits are enough to kill whispy.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2008-03-03 08:12:16 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:

for the whispy i use thunder (get it at the beginning of 1-4!) i'm not sure, but i think 9hits are enough to kill whispy.

You can't do that on Boss Endurance.  You have to go naked into Whispy Woods.

Edit: Notes sent off to Mike this afternoon.  Verifiers, keep an eye on the queue.
roflolmaomfg
oh sorry ... i probably have to read before posting ... well i dont really like the endurance ...
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2008-03-21 04:41:32 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:
Today, I stand before you confident that this run is THE ONE.  If SDA staff rejects this, then they have no idea what a good speed run is. Tongue

v10 - 0:56:25

I still stand by this statement.  And that's why it's probably hard to play this game again.

So for now, all I can give is YouTube recordings again.

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:
Edit history:
TheQuietMan: 2008-03-22 05:39:54 am
Complete. Global. Saturation.
I can see why that run got rejected; you were crashing into things all over the place. It didn't help that you often had to chase down and retrieve power-ups again. That mistake with the cannon in the Orange Ocean level really screwed you over too.

I hoppe you try again - you were so close and displayed a lot of good strategy and knowledge of the game.
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, that's...encouraging. >_>;;
Fucking Weeaboo
Phew.

This game was really starting to get very frustrating.  I worked over and over again (and threw the controller more than once) but managed to slug my way through this.  I about blew it in the end (I exited 7-4 with 1 health left!) and had a little screw up on Nightmare King, but fear me and my sub-55.

(Stupidly, I didn't even record the title screen.  Oops.  I'm sure it can be retrieved from one of my prior submissions.)

v11 - 54:50
Bring me the flaming voodoo canonball!
When/if your run gets eccepted, will you do a Meta-Knighmare run next? Or a hard mode (only 3 lives) run?
You got a deletion wish?
Quote:
Stupidly, I didn't even record the title screen.  Oops.  I'm sure it can be retrieved from one of my prior submissions.

Better check with Mike on that then.  Sorry about your last one getting the finger.  I'm surprised you're still gunning it.
Eternal Understudy
Quote:

Nice. Glad to see you're still going for it. Hope to see this one.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
My only concern is that if you made version 11 this quickly, couldn't you spend a little more time to refine it even further?
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2008-03-24 08:58:26 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
If I don't snap my controller in two, I might get a little better.

Granted, the only people I probably expect to please are the page break gods.
What about Kirby fans in general?
Well, you'll please me at least.
Fucking Weeaboo
15 million takes and retakes later, I was getting to the point of total frustration with this game.  But today, I came up with a weird idea, while fiddling around with my PSP.

I started up this game again, but left my PSP (which was running through the speaker system) on the music settings, so KNIDL wasn't playing, but I had a couple SSBB music tunes playing.  So playing the game was different, and almost...soothing.

I trekked downstairs and loaded up my PSP with a couple hours of tunes, stuff from SSBB, Mega Man, Mischief Makers, and other stuff that would be good speed running music.

Then I started replaying Kirby, but stuffing my ears in headphones with my music loaded PSP stuck on random.  The experience was quite different.  I was so use to comparing positions in levels based on the game music, but now I couldn't do that.  I took that part of my brain out of the game and just let it focus on hand-eye coordination.

And despite a few more outtakes (one was really hilarious and I'm keeping it), I managed to come out a winner, with a new faster time.

And I'm done with this.  I've got other things I want to work on, and I don't thing I could handle the stress of running this a zillion more times.  Sure a few things here and there didn't go perfect, but randomness sucks, so bite me.

This was quite the experience.  Hopefully the next run won't be so annoying in the process. Tongue

v12  - 53:20
Edit history:
TheQuietMan: 2008-04-01 02:45:45 am
You own a PSP? Loser!

Just kidding. It's good to see that you haven't given up and are just about to kill someone from frustration. Now that's what I call a true dedicated speedrunner. Can't wait to see that outtake.
Fucking Weeaboo
It's a quick outtake.  I wound myself laughing at it when I watched it after my v12 run, since it was at the beginning of the recording.

To set the scenario for when you watch the video, think of this.

GUNG-HO SPEEDRUNNER!  READY FOR ACTION!  CHARGGGGGGEEEEE!

Outtake Video
Edit history:
TheQuietMan: 2008-04-06 07:49:49 pm
Hahaha, I can totally relate to that. Grin I like the sudden reset.
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, you can hard reset with A+B+Start+Select.  My wife thought it was funny because right as I'm resetting, Kirby's inhaling, but the look is what got her laughing - almost looks like he's glaring at me. ^^;;
Edit history:
sparkkirby: 2008-04-28 06:21:09 pm
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I hate to be a whiner, But Kirby's Adventure is way better. Kirby NiDL has too many changes that make it worse, and despite popular belief, the music is not improved. The ending sequence where Kirby is flying on the warp star and throws the star rod back is the worst modified song. It rocked in Kirby's Adventure, but in KiDL it isn't as calming. The music just doesn't have the same Kirby charm as the original. Butter Buildings in particular.

Though I understand about the lag. It's just that original versions of games are mostly more preferred for running than remakes. I'm a die hard Kirby fan, so I like to stick to the good stuff. What I'm most surprised about is that nobody has made a Kirby's Dream Land 3 run yet. It's the best Kirby game of them all! *Though everyone on earth who has played the Kirby games will disagree*
Fucking Weeaboo
I've tried KDL3, but I wasn't quite good enough for it.  The biggest problem is doing 100%, since there are some really awful mini games needed to complete that.  The audio one is usually the biggest trouble for me, with the "how many of this type of face ball" is 2nd.

I've been considering returning to that, but just not now.

As for your thoughts on KA vs KNIDL, you're free to have your own opinion.  I wrote the top portion of the page (above the images) noting those very facts.  If you like the original, then like the original.  Sometimes I like originals over remakes, some times vice versa.  Just like sometimes the Japanese version is better than the US version, and sometimes vice versa.

I'm glad you have your own opinion and allow me to have mine.