Edit history:
sett3: 2013-01-10 08:14:28 am
Quote from S.:
We'd like a link as well :p

Link is in the 1st post, no?

Segment 3 done, encoding it now

UPD: Always check first post for new segments uploaded
Formerly known as Skullboy
I am very interested in seeing this pan out. I won't get around to watching them until after the marathon. Good luck
Segment 3 uploaded
uploading segment 4, check it
segment 5 done, it's a taxi mission. did it with time 41:50, Derek's time was 47:15. My time also can be improved by 40 seconds, but it's not bothering me really in a 14 hours speedrun. will be uploaded tomorrow i think
segments 6&7 are up
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Thanks for keeping us up to date!  I've watched through 3 and have quite enjoyed it thus far.  Although I tested this game professionally, I don't feel equipped to weigh in too much except to say your routes and techniques seem very solid to me, with little down time and nice integration of tags and such into mission routes.  Thank you again for tackling this, and hopefully if anyone out there feels they have anything to contribute, they'll speak up!
segment 8 uploaded..
FINALLY DID SEGMENT 9! oh god, i'm so happy about that, took me shitload of retries to get it done pretty perfect. Will be uploaded in 5 hours
segment 10 is up, just badlands mission
Amazing videos so far!  Definitely interested in seeing how fast you can get this down.  Looks like you're already ~16 min ahead of the other 100% run on youtube by the end of Los Santos, keep it up!
uploading segment 11.. next 2 segments may take awhile, cuz they're very very random
http://nl.twitch.tv/lotsofs/c/1869088

Did this while I was messing around.
I have no idea how I did it, also didn't do anything special other than mash the shift key (which is bound to sprint/horn and I use to skip most cutscenes).
Decided to throw it in here. Messed around with it a lot afterwards but couldn't get it again.

About this run:
You're completing the segments faster than I can watch them.
Looks good so far. Well done.

Some may know I've tried running this, but never got past segment 2.
I have changed my mindset around a bit, I will get to restarting this eventually. Not anytime soon hough.
Currently throwing the route around a lot.

Some tags I moved to completely different missions by the current looks of it. I also found a way to save 1 or even 2 minutes on firefighter just recently.
I also moved the 7 minute lung capacity thing to one of the Los Santos missions. Doing so not only puts it in a more convenient spot, but it also makes me save 2 or 3 minutes on taxi driver. (Yes, you read that correctly.)
These findings make me happy that I never finished segment 002.
I'm not going to post the details in here right now. Main reasons being that 1) I'm still not quite confident on them, need to test more. 2) I don't want to draw attention away from sett's run.

Anyway, keep up the good work. It's good to see Derek's run beaten! I also would gladly help you, but I'm currently lacking knowledge about anything beyond Los Santos.
Only thing I can tell you right now is that the Euros pops up as a target vehicle in Vigilante sometimes (level 1 and 2 only). So you can just luck manipulate that, rather than drive it all the way from LV back to the docks. You might already know that, but that's the only major improvement over Derek I can think of right now from the back of my head.
Edit history:
sett3: 2013-01-30 12:54:53 am
Quote from S.:
http://nl.twitch.tv/lotsofs/c/1869088

Did this while I was messing around.
I have no idea how I did it, also didn't do anything special other than mash the shift key (which is bound to sprint/horn and I use to skip most cutscenes).
Decided to throw it in here. Messed around with it a lot afterwards but couldn't get it again.

About this run:
You're completing the segments faster than I can watch them.
Looks good so far. Well done.

Some may know I've tried running this, but never got past segment 2.
I have changed my mindset around a bit, I will get to restarting this eventually. Not anytime soon hough.
Currently throwing the route around a lot.

Some tags I moved to completely different missions by the current looks of it. I also found a way to save 1 or even 2 minutes on firefighter just recently.
I also moved the 7 minute lung capacity thing to one of the Los Santos missions. Doing so not only puts it in a more convenient spot, but it also makes me save 2 or 3 minutes on taxi driver. (Yes, you read that correctly.)
These findings make me happy that I never finished segment 002.
I'm not going to post the details in here right now. Main reasons being that 1) I'm still not quite confident on them, need to test more. 2) I don't want to draw attention away from sett's run.

Anyway, keep up the good work. It's good to see Derek's run beaten! I also would gladly help you, but I'm currently lacking knowledge about anything beyond Los Santos.
Only thing I can tell you right now is that the Euros pops up as a target vehicle in Vigilante sometimes (level 1 and 2 only). So you can just luck manipulate that, rather than drive it all the way from LV back to the docks. You might already know that, but that's the only major improvement over Derek I can think of right now from the back of my head.

interesting, how that lung capacity thing make you save time on taxi mission). about cutscene glith, it happens sometimes, seen this once in big smoke mission, but i think you can't really control this. about car imports, i'm using replays to spawn car that i need (not working with all cars though). with tags, you compare it to my or to derek's run? about firefighter, you find a way to do this faster in los santos?
The one where you skip the "Shit, a BAllas car is onto us" is caused by the pink car getting stuck and for some reason failing to respawn properly (The game thinks it's destroyed). The one in the video I have no clue what happened though.

I'm not telling you the key to the taxi lung thing :p
I'm comparing my tags to both of your runs. There's (as far as I watched) only little difference between your and Derek's tags (most of them are already well placed). You fixed most mistakes Derek made, but there's still 1 or 2 tags that you missed that could've been moved to a better time imo. Then again, it's also vice versa. You moved one tag around to a brilliant spot, which I completely missed.
Firefighter: I'm not actually saving the minute on firefighter itself. I save the minute on getting the firetruck. It's pretty obvious too. It also saves a bit more time on Big Smoke mission. Firefighter itself is still at the same LS area and still in the first segment (Where it should be, the monetary reward is just too powerful).

I don't see atm how replays would be of any use, but I'll find out once you get there.
Enjoy doing those segments. (I was watching those segments btw, when I decided o
Edit history:
sett3: 2013-01-30 07:55:24 am
almost all the tags that i have left, i'll spray out during gang wars, while waiting for next wave without wasting any time. about replays, you find a car that you need for list->get into it and drive around->hit F2 i think, replay saves->load game that you need, hit F3, then car that you saved in replay appears most of the time. also, idk how you get the firetruck faster, besides of travel to parked one. i can suggest molotovs or something like that, but its first segment, so i miss what are you talking about. just to say, it takes only 30 secs to get to parked firetruck, so i also dont understand how you managed to save 1-2 minutes on it.
Edit history:
sett3: 2013-01-30 09:21:31 am
sett3: 2013-01-30 09:17:50 am
sett3: 2013-01-30 09:13:24 am
oh, maybe i get it: first, you complete big smoke, get a weapon, then travel to that area, blow a car's gas tank, and firetruck arrive. right? if so, i think you'll waste a shiiitload of time on that cuz it will always take about 4-5 mins to complete first mission, and then a luck firefighter to arrive... huh

UPD: nope, just tried it, firetruck appears after lots of exploded cars in 1 of 10 tries

mission, in which you upgrade lung cap is robbing uncle sam, right?

UPD2: omfg, now i understand about firetruck.. you take it in big smoke mission, like CannibalK9 took sports car.. right)
Haha, I loved seeing you confused like that :D. Yeah it doesn't save a minute, but because Big Smoke is first now it is actually safe now to do the mission the proper way.

Robbing Uncle Sam, yeah. Unless I'm missing something, that's probably where I will do it. Again, I haveo nly just started routing this, so there might be a catch to it I have;t found out yet.

Replay makes sense, but I'm not sure SDA allows you to use replay files from other playthroughs outside the speedrun itself.
Just watch gta 3 run, it's runner uses replay to spawn an infernus. One more: so you managed to do taxi mission under 39 minutes?
I haven't done a good try at it (with good RNG), but in theory itll save a few minutes.
Edit history:
Patrick: 2013-01-31 07:37:37 am
About the gang wars: You are going to use the minigun, aren't you? (In my casual 'speedruns') I mostly do them on the bike and before the third wave I drive towards my destination (e.g. Madd Dogg's (?) mansion).
The gang wars are probably hard to speedrun as destroying gang cars (to provoke wars) and police cars (for self-defense :P) will raise your wanted level to up to four stars after some time...
i'm going for headshots every time, so weapon on gang wars going to be m4/micro smg. never rise my wanted level on gang wars more then to 2 stars
Wanted level gets locked as soon as the gangwar started, so if you didn't have any to begin with, you won't get any during the gangwar.
It locks 1 star wanted levels too though, so if you somehow get the police on your tail during the shooting of the first 3 gangsters, you'll be stuck with that throughout the war, as it wont fade away. You can go ahead and shoot the police though, you wont gain any extra stars either. The minigun is too far offroute to acquire, and its not really needed either. The m4 is powerful enough.
Quote from sett3:
Just watch gta 3 run, it's runner uses replay to spawn an infernus.
Was it one replay or did he use multiple in different segments? Was it a replay of an earlier section in the run?